closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SONOS Playbase

Craftsman

SONOS Playbase

Hello,
    Has anyone got one yet or even heard it? I have the Playbar at the moment but very tempted to get the base and get rid of the bar due to the bar's size and the current positioning in our lounge.
    I'm hoping to listen to the Playbase at the weekend.
    Any views?
    Ta,
    Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Reviews are mixed - treble/sibilance comes in for some criticism, though the consensus is it's far better once you run the Truesound tuning software.

I was thinking of getting one myself and selling the 5.1 as I have Sonos around the house and with a new small baby it's not really a good idea to have expensive speakers around.

I think it's defnitiely one to hear for yourself - I'd order through Sonos as you get a no-quibble 100 day return if you don't like it

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Reviews are mixed - treble/sibilance comes in for some criticism, though the consensus is it's far better once you run the Truesound tuning software.

I was thinking of getting one myself and selling the 5.1 as I have Sonos around the house and with a new small baby it's not really a good idea to have expensive speakers around.

I think it's defnitiely one to hear for yourself - I'd order through Sonos as you get a no-quibble 100 day return if you don't like it
    All children are different of course and I was worried about this particularly with my floor standing vintage Bang and Olufsen speakers but haven't had a problem since my now 2 and a half year old was born.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Standmounts, open cones and small fingers. I'll play it safe :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    what about the bose alternate? always rate and love bose

Standmounts, open cones and small fingers. I'll play it safe :)
    Ah I keep the grilles on!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    what about the bose alternate? always rate and love bose
    The Bose is a good sound - indeed there are plenty of soundbars/bases better than the Sonos, but if you already have investment in Sonos multiroom it doesn't make sense to add another system. That's the attraction for me, I can get both TV and multiroom streaming in one package

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I really dont see the fascination with sonos, I honestly think they are not just bad, but sound awful, and the more you add the worse it gets due to delay and timing issues.

any of the BOSE crap isnt any better either.

and what really boils my man water is the price they command for it, for that price you could have a high end wired system of your choice, chased into the walls for that 'neat' look we aspire too, exactly what I have done

EDIT: holy S*** £699 for that lol? a fool and his money and all that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I really dont see the fascination with sonos, I honestly think they are not just bad, but sound awful, and the more you add the worse it gets due to delay and timing issues.

and what really boils my man water is the price they command for it, for that price you could have a high end wired system of your choice, chased into the walls for that 'neat' look we aspire too, exactly what I have done

as a Hi Fi purist I couldn't agree more with this. All just gimicks

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidermonkey View Post
    as a Hi Fi purist I couldn't agree more with this. All just gimicks
    great first post ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries

Never had a single sync or timing issue with mine across 5 rooms in a Victorian house with solid stone walls and I can't agree with any assertion that it sounds awful or that wiring up a whole house (or even a room once you've redecorated) with hi-fi speakers would be cheaper unless you plan to have work done anyway. I currently have a 5.1 system costing far in excess of what a Sonos 5.1 would, but Sonos is not hi-fi and you'd never buy it with that in mind. It's a very unobtrusive multiroom system, and the market leader for a reason - it's by far the easiest to set up with the best software and widest range of compatible services

The playbar, sub and playbase are overpriced and take advantage of people who already have the system. Would you consider them if you were starting out? Probably not but then neither would you buy a soundbar if you wanted the hifi option. For people who want to add compatible functionality to a lifestyle multiroom system, they're fine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Never had a single sync or timing issue with mine across 5 rooms in a Victorian house with solid stone walls and I can't agree with any assertion that it sounds awful or that wiring up a whole house (or even a room once you've redecorated) with hi-fi speakers would be cheaper unless you plan to have work done anyway. I currently have a 5.1 system costing far in excess of what a Sonos 5.1 would, but Sonos is not hi-fi and you'd never buy it with that in mind. It's a very unobtrusive multiroom system, and the market leader for a reason - it's by far the easiest to set up with the best software and widest range of compatible services

The playbar, sub and playbase are overpriced and take advantage of people who already have the system. Would you consider them if you were starting out? Probably not but then neither would you buy a soundbar if you wanted the hifi option. For people who want to add compatible functionality to a lifestyle multiroom system, they're fine.
    I'm not sure what your saying here, its good or its crap?

I'm not sure what your saying here, its good or its crap?
    Not wanting to speak for him, but he's saying that it works well for its intended purpose. It's not trying to be true hifi, it's a easily organised wireless multi room music system.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Sonos and indeed Bose are not trying to be the very best hifi systems. They are solutions to modern needs. I like Sonos for the ability to play music around the house, and because my music is digital, not a cd or record. I like my Bose ear phones for the noise cancelling.
    They are modern solutions for modern people.
    Nothing wrong with quality systems, either.
    To say they just sound bad is as moronic as suggesting people paying for Sonos are fools.

Craftsman
    For me it's additional boost/better sound than your normal tele. Plus it's simplicity & lack of cables. I had 5.1 & got rid due to the wires & in truth speakers everywhere - it got messy. I'll have a listen to the Playbase at the weekend. Yeah, it's pricey, but I'll sell a kidney or alternatively the Playbar.

Ahem... "a fool and his money..." still a lot cheaper than some watches we choose to wear ;)