closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your thoughts on the Sinn 105 UTC?

Your thoughts on the Sinn 105 UTC?

Keep seeing pictures of this new model popping up. At first I wasn’t sure but I think it’s growing on me. Anyone ordered one? What do you guys think?

Buy it, and I’ll have it off you if you don’t like it, it looks the business.

In stock at Jura, there’s a white dialled one I hadn’t seen before which would be immeasurably improved by being full lume.

Master
    I like it. Thinking of selling my 857 UTC to buy it.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I like it. Thinking of selling my 857 UTC to buy it.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s a bit smaller, that’s the only thing putting me off.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    It’s a bit smaller, that’s the only thing putting me off.
    Thanks Jon. I may have a look, would need to be black as I already have this in white!

Personally, I think there are a few details on the Sinn that jar, and could have been improved.
    On a universal level, gloss black central hand pinions look bad against the matte black dial. That is a schoolboy error.
    But that is not the main one.
    Sinn have at least 3 perfectly good hand types in their books, that could have been used here. The 103 type syringe outline hands. The EZM2 hands. And the EZM1 style hands that are syringe-ish, but flat and all lume.
    And all Sinn (tool watch) hand types have always been white on black with lume windows, or solid lume.
    This new GMT could have slightly updated or worked with any of the old styles, but at least with the Sinn spec.
    But instead they chose to go for EZM2(ish) style, but with steel outlines, and they chose rounded indices too.
    It just doesn't look very Sinn.
    The case does.
    But the dial/handset doesn't. At all. And that's a shame
    Brands take time to develop and nurture their DNA, their signature components.
    And this model ignores so many of them that it needn't have.

I didn't like the 'normal' 105 because of the stacked day and date at 6 but I like this even if the hands and indices look a bit cartoonish.
    Thanks for pointing out the gloss black on the hands with the matte face though. You may have saved me.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I didn't like the 'normal' 105 because of the stacked day and date at 6 but I like this even if the hands and indices look a bit cartoonish.
    Thanks for pointing out the gloss black on the hands with the matte face though. You may have saved me.
    I also never spotted that......

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Thanks Jon. I may have a look, would need to be black as I already have this in white!

See my WTB for a damasko on a bracelet :)

Master
    I like that. As pointed out something slightly cartoonish about it though, so not sure it will age well.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    See my WTB for a damasko on a bracelet :)
    Not yet, I’m still smitten lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve never liked a 24 hour bezel having ‘24’ instead of a triangle.

I really like the 105 ranges, especially the 3 handers, for what very little it matters!

They do seem to be misunderstood. Sinn have gone out of their way to try to offer a different design language to the rest of their ranges, a kind of modern minimalism. Be odd if they started slapping-in syringe hands and other dated design language that already exists in abundance in the rest of their ranges.

If they ever get around to offering Tegimented non-DLC bezels, they have my money.

Craftsman
    As someone pointed out it’s a nice watch just not keen on the 24 instead of a triangle or dot unfortunately

Hey Gav, you know I love Sinn in general but something about this one just strikes me as a bit dull. Can’t put my finger exactly on what it is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It just doesn't look very Sinn.
    You make some good points, Dave, as usual, but I think that Sinn should be applauded for trying something else. I particularly like how the hands echo the dial indices. I think that's a nice touch.

My problem with it is the usual, I'm afraid - office GMT, not a traveller's GMT. It's the 24-hour hand that is independent, and that's the wrong way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    You make some good points, Dave, as usual, but I think that Sinn should be applauded for trying something else. I particularly like how the hands echo the dial indices. I think that's a nice touch.

My problem with it is the usual, I'm afraid - office GMT, not a traveller's GMT. It's the 24-hour hand that is independent, and that's the wrong way for me.
    Hmmm. I am not sure they are (trying something terribly different).
    The case is exactly what they used before (which is, let's face it, a 1960s design in the first place). As is the bezel with its totally-normal-for-Sinn hit and miss texturing. And the blasting, H-link bracelet etc etc.
    It is all very run-of-the-mill except the hand/dial combo.
    It was always one of the oddities about the EZM2 that the hands had rounded ends and did not match the rectangular dial indices (as this does). It seems strange to re-visit those rounded end designs with a matching dial now, when they had so completely abandoned them after the EZM2.
    Especially as the hands and dial, in this minimal style, suddenly get outlines, which are not so minimal.
    I hear you about the GMT, perhaps Sinn will eventually be able to aceess the movements that Certina and Mido can now use for true GMTs.

My old EZM2 - the hands are similar, but are all lume, not outlined.

Just as minimal, the EZM1, with its "syringe" minutes.

I quite like it, but I agree with Dave in that (case aside) it's not very Sinn. If that doesn't matter to you, then I'd say go for it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

For what it's worth, and knowing that I absolutely love the brand and rate it as in my top 3, I think this is a miss.

I respect the attempt to produce something different, especially in such a range of quite classic styled watches, quite monochromatic usually, but as mentioned before, it doesn't really feel "Sinn-esque"

I think colour wise the watch is quite nice, but these rounded indices are quite dull, and so are the hands.
    I would have seriously considered it if it was with syringe hands and baton indices, as it gives a way more straightforward and effective design, perfect example at what they're usually so good for, a purpose built watch. This design lacks precision I think.

Overall, this case is amazing but very angular, I don't think the rounded design of the hands and indices look at home here.

On the other hand, I must say this Damasko is a stunner!

Love it that they are trying to produce something different. Just can't get over the prices