Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steinhart 39mm Explorer - Gnomon Exclusive Edition - New Release

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Ah, good idea, ill have a look.

My order history says this:

Order Status
    Paypal - Completed

I guess that means they have sent it, I eagerly await DHL asking for their pound of flesh.

Edit: checked my spam folder, shipping confirmation email in there. It took an entire TWELVE minutes for Gnomon to have it en route, complete with tracking number... so much for my worries about slow shipping, it arrived in LHR at 5am this morning.
    Ha excellent and I hope you like it.

The only concern I had with DHL was that they didn't want any ID. It was super quick and beautifully packaged and yet anyone could have signed for it. I asked the courier and he agreed it was strange not to ask for ID but had no answer as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Ha excellent and I hope you like it.

The only concern I had with DHL was that they didn't want any ID. It was super quick and beautifully packaged and yet anyone could have signed for it. I asked the courier and he agreed it was strange not to ask for ID but had no answer as to why.
    Huh, might he able to pick up a free watch and get the refund!

Joking...

Or am I?

I wonder if this would work for other watches, say a vintage Omega...?

(I really am joking now)

I don't want to jinx it, but mine has passed through customs and is now in East Midlands, I have yet to hear from DHL. I don't know if I'm being lucky and avoiding charges on this occasion.
    E midlands is where mine has gone off the radar. Hope to hear something today. Will update.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    E midlands is where mine has gone off the radar. Hope to hear something today. Will update.
    Not a great fan of DHL, they have a strange way of working. It was purely by chance that I heard the phone when they left a message. No details such as parcel for (insert name), just fees due, pay now and and a single reference number.

Having paid, the track and trace kept saying will be delivered Tuesday - until Monday morning when it changed to out for delivery. The house was empty most of the day, but luckily they didn't appear until about 16:30.

Hope Paul's and Rusty's turn up soon

Steinhart 39mm Explorer - Gnomon Exclusive Edition - New Release

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not a great fan of DHL, they have a strange way of working. It was purely by chance that I heard the phone when they left a message. No details such as parcel for (insert name), just fees due, pay now and and a single reference number.

Having paid, the track and trace kept saying will be delivered Tuesday - until Monday morning when it changed to out for delivery. The house was empty most of the day, but luckily they didn't appear until about 16:30.

Hope Paul's and Rusty's turn up soon
    more concerning to me is the lack of any expected delivery date

more concerning to me is the lack of any expected delivery date
    That's not right Rusty, mine looks like this:

That's not right Rusty, mine looks like this:

Just off the phone to DHL (not a free phone number either), and I had to send evidence of purchase from Paypal to them or “the watch will not be released”. Have done so now so we see if it finally gets here. Love how this makes ME feel like I’m trying to prove I wasn’t fiddling the taxman when gnomon watches stated the value, with me having no knowledge of it. Singularly unimpressed and have written to gnomon in very strong terms. I work with tax and financial services and if it had sailed through with a lower tax bill I would have been an unwitting party to a tax dodge. That’s pretty unacceptable in my book tbh. The amounts involved are negligible in the scheme of things.

Well call me stupid but having insisted on full value being declared I am now happy. I’m sure some will think this odd, but I’m happier. Seems the watch appears to be on its way to me now.

Craftsman
    Well call me stupid but having insisted on full value being declared I am now happy. I’m sure some will think this odd, but I’m happier. Seems the watch appears to be on its way to me now.
    Glad it’s all sorted Rusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head and hands are now in the stocks and the padlock has just clicked shut - start chucking those tomatoes fellas.

As Rusty said, we are innocent in all of this - the authorities need to have a word with the guilty party.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Head and hands are now in the stocks and the padlock has just clicked shut - start chucking those tomatoes fellas.

As Rusty said, we are innocent in all of this - the authorities need to have a word with the guilty party.
    Ken - my issue isn’t that they discount the value but rather that they don’t tell you. The whole experience was unpleasant and unnecessary. If I’d been aware they were going to do it then it would have been a lot better and could request full value declaration or not.

You didn’t ask them to discount value and it’s great you got it with less duties, but that’s not my rant

Chocolate anyone?

Well it arrived finally. Was 60% sure it would be a catch and release, but not so sure now ... the explorer dial does look good on the dive watch, the drilled lugs are very welcome, the size at 39 is appropriate for the watch given what it’s homaging, and although it looks good on the bracelet it’s going to be living on beat up leather I think.

The free nato from gnomon though wtf were they thinking - it’s not even close to being a good match from the watch

Very pleased that the watch finally arrived Rusty. At least you can put this sorry saga behind you now.

Well it arrived finally. Was 60% sure it would be a catch and release, but not so sure now ... the explorer dial does look good on the dive watch, the drilled lugs are very welcome, the size at 39 is appropriate for the watch given what it’s homaging, and although it looks good on the bracelet it’s going to be living on beat up leather I think.
    That is perfect. They’ve corrected issues with the handset that I’ve had (ice cream cone vs. lollipop hour hand, sweep second hand pip and balance at the right lengths, and the dial has that spare quality I liked about their Ocean One Double Red ten years ago. Spot on.

I’m envious, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    That is perfect. They’ve corrected issues with the handset that I’ve had (ice cream cone vs. lollipop hour hand, sweep second hand pip and balance at the right lengths, and the dial has that spare quality I liked about their Ocean One Double Red ten years ago. Spot on.

I’m envious, sir!
    Thanks I do like it a surprising amount

I treated myself to one, I really do like the 39mm case size and this homage to the explorer faced 5513

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    I treated myself to one, I really do like the 39mm case size and this homage to the explorer faced 5513
    Agreed, it's a very nice little watch and it's much richer in the flesh than in the photos. I'm thinking of putting it on a vintage riveted Oyster style bracelet. It just needs a little something else for the vintage vibe but I'm not a fan of Natos. I thought it might also work on those 60's? bracelets that have the gap every other link but that won't be easy finding one.

Anyrode, enjoy!

Got it! This is what it needs:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beads-of...bc52%7Ciid%3A1
    Last edited by stix; 2nd January 2019 at 04:54.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, have always been tempted by the dimensions and styling of the Steinhart homage pieces!

It is a much better looking watch in the flesh and I like it on a nato that's a nice looking bracelet myself I'm going to make it a nice leather strap out of vintage leather and we're the watch to work to pick up some knocks on it to give it that worn look, as for the case size of Steinhart sub homages the 42m was just too long and flat for my wrist and liking I still have my OMV 1 that I'll only we're on vintage leather so it's a winter work watch the 39mm is a cracking size and as for people saying that they are a rip off brand with there rang of sub homages they could well be on some of there watches but I have not got the money for a milsub a explorer faced 5513 or rare explorers mark 2 I'd like to see a aged homage to the 1675 with drilled lugs in 39mm as I'd have that as well, well made fun watches with a ETA that doesn't cost the earth and put a smile on my face I'm not bothered about a lot of the parts not being made in Switzerland do people really think that all of the parts for there range Rover are made in the UK

How about some pics, gentlemen?

Ok. This is all I have, only my Solar Tuna has been worn since it arrived.

How about some pics, gentlemen?

Master
    Last edited by stix; 6th January 2019 at 06:15.

As usual with Steinhart, a couple of itty bitty details I could grouse about but DA-YAM, that is a Di-ve Wa-tch. They hit that out of the park.

Master
    As usual with Steinhart, a couple of itty bitty details I could grouse about but DA-YAM, that is a Di-ve Wa-tch. They hit that out of the park.
    Agreed. It just needs a more retro bracelet.

Having started this thread, I ordered one, my first 39mm Steinhart. Having followed the discussions I was curious to see if there was any difference. Really I should have known better as I have previous form for selling 40mm sports Rolex because they looked to small. The watch arrived and looked stunning, however I was wearing a 42mm Steinhart at the time and looking at them side by side the Explorer looked tiny.

At that point I thought it wasn't worth unpacking the watch, so I left it fully sealed whilst I had a think about it. Logically that was probably a daft move as looking at a brand new watch fully sealed in its box knowing that I don't really like the size is bound to end up being moved on.

Sure enough, it was destined for SC. Whilst this was going on I had also ordered a 39mm GMT PanAm that was a limited edition of 50 watches and sold exclusively by a German boutique. That was even more stunning, but again the size killed it for me. That has also gone to a more appreciative owner.

So my brief flirtation with the 39mm size ends here. It does make life a little easier as I can now resist any temptation from the watches listed on SC.

I did buy a 44mm limited edition and that was simply too big - so 42mm is the sweet spot for me
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 6th January 2019 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Looks nothing like an Explorer? More like an ND Sub

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Another brilliant contribution from Henk; succinctly getting his point across with clear understanding and positivity.

Master

5513 with (Explorer) numbers

are the face markings a "creamy" colour?

I think it looks a pretty close copy of the 5513 explorer dial sub circa 1963, don’t you?

Master
    presumably chopped off lug ends are Steinhart feature?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    presumably chopped off lug ends are Steinhart feature?
    they don’t seem chopped off? They are very straight though
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 9th January 2019 at 17:38.

Master
    they don’t seem chopped off? They are very straight though

The Rolex is rounded off at the ends

The Steinhart looks as though it has been "squared" or say 90+ degrees at the ends of the lugs

The Steinhart looks as though it has been "squared" or say 90+ degrees at the ends of the lugs

Master
    looks a really nice Homage, (I hate that word!!) - distress the (watch) - face, bezel etc., - could be an interesting mod

are they £400?? - just looked at earlier posting - £500 with all shipping and UK taxes paid
    Last edited by BillN; 9th January 2019 at 18:42.

looks a really nice Homage, (I hate that word!!) - distress the (watch) - face, bezel etc., - could be an interesting mod

are they £400?? - just looked at earlier posting - £500 with all shipping and UK taxes paid
    I can’t even remember now. Think it was $499 whatever that is in £ plus the import lottery *

Master
    The Rolex is rounded off at the ends

Correct, they are not as rounded and are more 'squared' one might say. I've been toying with a riveted Oyster bracelet and the end links look like they might just work. I checked the profiles with some spares I have and they are very close, which surprised me. I thought the Steinhart lugs might be too straight but on the 39, it seems to work. Watch this space.

With regards to the dial markings; I suppose you could say that they are creamy in style but not overly and they work well with the gold hands. The photos don't really do it justice and it really is a very nice and enjoyable watch to wear. The bezel was a bit stiff but it's fine now and worked well snorkeling and swimming this week. No issues!
    Last edited by stix; 10th January 2019 at 02:39.

Master
    On the Jubilee, which I quite like so far. It's much lighter on the wrist and better in the heat:

Last edited by stix; 10th January 2019 at 04:17.

Master
    On the Jubilee, which I quite like so far. It's much lighter on the wrist and better in the heat:

Looks good

which Jubilee Bracelet did you get - the Strapcode one?

Master
    Looks good

which Jubilee Bracelet did you get - the Strapcode one?
    No. It's now available separately from Steinhart

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...anstoesse.html

No. It's now available separately from Steinhart

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...anstoesse.html
    It’s really quite a nice bracelet and a welcome change from their usual oyster

Master
    It’s really quite a nice bracelet and a welcome change from their usual oyster
    Absolutely and it suits the Pan Am very well. Now, a 39mm Pan Am would definitely float my boat but sadly, highly unlikely. So much cleaner and easier to read without the cyclops as well.

Absolutely and it suits the Pan Am very well. Now, a 39mm Pan Am would definitely float my boat but sadly, highly unlikely. So much cleaner and easier to read without the cyclops as well.
    Had the 39 Panam and sold it straight away to a friend for same price - not sure if still some available or not

Had the 39 Panam and sold it straight away to a friend for same price - not sure if still some available or not
    They might still be available, but it is a bit of a faff having to do an international money bank transfer and paying a £15 bank charge for the privilege. Be easier if the guy took PayPal.

I bought one and moved it straight on due to 39mm size not being right for me.

Well worth trying to buy one and it will certainly be a collectable of the future as there is nothing similar in the current line up. The closest thing is this:

42mm, no cyclops, great vintage feel, but not cheap unfortunately and very few appear second hand. I was lucky to get this one...

Craftsman
    Emailed last week... for a friend... they only had one left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I see. I didn't realise a 39mm Pan Am had been released as I thought they were all 42 variants. Was that a Gnomon LE release then?

I see. I didn't realise a 39mm Pan Am had been released as I thought they were all 42 variants. Was that a Gnomon LE release then?
    Was through Guido Engelen - a boutique in Aachen Germany. Only 50 made. The 42 mm Panam was for horlogeforum.nl in 2011 and was 40 made - pics here

Master
    Was through Guido Engelen - a boutique in Aachen Germany. Only 50 made. The 42 mm Panam was for horlogeforum.nl in 2011 and was 40 made - pics here
    Thanks for the information