Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I’ve paid my £79 for the year of prime
    Does anyone know I I’ll have to pay extra
    For the amazon prime tv services. Especially Clark sons
    Motoring show on tonight ?
    Cheers Andy
    No you shouldn't have to

Craftsman
    grand tour is included free but quite alot of content is PPV which really annoys me. Netflix is far better.

Craftsman
    No, it's included along with Amazon music

Craftsman
    Is grand tour s2e1 available already or is it middnight this evening?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    grand tour is included free but quite alot of content is PPV which really annoys me. Netflix is far better.
    I agree Netflix is so much better I won't renew my Amazon membership as I can't stand having to pay for things I much prefer Netflix where you can watch anything on there.

Grand Tour is, for the moment, included in the Prime subscription. But they're adding more and more stuff to add-on services, which means things will show in Prime Video, but when you click on them you have to subscribe to another service in addition to Amazon Prime.

Plus lots of stuff is Pay per View, as note above.

Thanks for the info

Master
    I don't think anything is PPV on prime. It's additional to the subscription so you have to buy it, but I think and hope once you've paid it's yours.

It's a decent product if you include the free shipping, photo storage and music in my opinion.

Netflix leaves it in the dust for head to head video streaming services

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I don't think anything is PPV on prime. It's additional to the subscription so you have to buy it, but I think and hope once you've paid it's yours.

It's a decent product if you include the free shipping, photo storage and music in my opinion.

Netflix leaves it in the dust for head to head video streaming services
    It depends - you can pay to purchase, or rent, the latter giving you something like 48hrs after starting vewing before it expires.

Grand Master
    If you click on the 'your prime' at the top and then the prime video tab everything in this area is free to view via prime. This includes GT, a load more TV shows and a load of not so great movies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I save more that the eighty quid it costs on free postage from Amazon.
    Hardly watch the TV but we use Amazon music a lot with the Alexa.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    If you click on the 'your prime' at the top and then the prime video tab everything in this area is free to view via prime. This includes GT, a load more TV shows and a load of not so great movies.
    On my Samsung KS7000, it lets you filter for 'Prime only', but then if you move anywhere else in the menu it cancels the filter without telling you, so it looks like you have a heck of a lot more choice until you actually select something!

Craftsman
    We buy pretty much everything on amazon and get value from the free postage, I have tried many times to watch the TV but I find very little of interest when compared to Netflix

Will keep renewing though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also buy a lot from them and it pays for itself although they seem to have dropped next day prime delivery at weekends, I just take the video as an extra

Craftsman
    Nope all free inc music too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm 40 years old and a student again, and found out the other day that I get 6 months prime for free then half price after that. Absolute no brainer

There is also a lot of free Kindle content, i've just been to Berlin with a free Lonely Planet guide.

Craftsman
    Different market approach by Amazon;
    No PPV, but also no free music with Amazon Prime in Holland

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    I'm 40 years old and a student again, and found out the other day that I get 6 months prime for free then half price after that. Absolute no brainer

I've been doing that for 3 years, i'm a part time student so can get it for another 2 years at least! It's a no brainer for the deals and free postage, and the TV stuff isn't bad if you want to watch some stuff.

Believe or not, as an academic, you can get a student union card - I've always had student prime...

I have both Netflix and Prime. I like both services and there is a good amount of content on both. I like the download ability from Prime. Netflix can also download but only a limited number of shows/films are available which is annoying.

Prime also has adds on services but these are easy to manage to help de if you do not wish to engage with these additional services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Believe or not, as an academic, you can get a student union card - I've always had student prime...
    I've got Students union card....just paid £79 for another year last week....wish I knew this earlier :(

We use Netflix a lot more, but the free postage kind of pays for the Prime

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    I've got Students union card....just paid £79 for another year last week....wish I knew this earlier :(

I would have thought you can register with your academic email and get in touch with them

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    There is also a lot of free Kindle content, i've just been to Berlin with a free Lonely Planet guide.
    That plus the free postage more than covers our subscription.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

wife buys lots an lots of books, so prime makes sense for delivery - TV etc is then a bonus, also have Netflix (both of these plus a Freeview box is our sky replacement - wife still moans about erg and the remote not as good as sky!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Elanman View Post
    wife buys lots an lots of books, so prime makes sense for delivery - TV etc is then a bonus, also have Netflix (both of these plus a Freeview box is our sky replacement - wife still moans about erg and the remote not as good as sky!)
    We are similar to this and have both. My 6yo daughter watches streaming and I much prefer her watching Netflix as I have had the occasional non prime purchase on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post

Contact amazon they’ll sort it. Refunded part of my sub then changed me to the free 6 months before half price.

Master
    Be aware with student prime you cannot share your membership without someone else using your account. We stitched from the £79 full prime which allowed my wife and I to both order 'prime' goods, use the music service, etc. however this year she used her student card to go for the half price version, this means that I no longer have access to prime on my account which has made xmas shopping for her on amazon tricky.
    In general I view prime video as a nice(ish) add on to prime delivery, there are a few things on there worth watching (GT, Lucifer, Le Mans, etc.) but lists very quickly devolve into you tube quality rubbish productions. Netflix is much better as a source of watchable material, especially if you accidentally set your vpn to exit in america and accidentally get access to american netflix.

Master
    Bit disappointed with Primes delivery times these days. Ordered an item that was in stock yesterday, got an email telling me it has been dispatched but that I won't get it until the 3rd Jan.
    I know it's the holiday season but another item that was ordered yesterday with them is out for delivery today.

Craftsman
    The delivery has most definitely gone downhill. We barely found much worth watching on the TV, most of the films Mrs R was interested in not included in prime. We won't bother renewing.

I'm pretty lucky in that I have a friend who pays for prime and we like sharing our kindle books so are in a 'household'. This had the added benefit for me of the full prime benefits relating to delivery and video access.

I find them pretty good most of the time, but when they do fail to deliver it's invariably on the items you really need on time, and many items labelled as prime on the site are actually 2-3 days away from being in stock when you click through. I think the cost is too much considering I order from Amazon a lot more than I would if I didn't get these benefits (my first port of call was previously eBay), and the video offering seems lacking if you already have something like Netflix.

I'd love to say I wouldn't pay for it myself, but honestly, I'm so used to the convenience and overall decent performance that I doubt I could live without it now, so they've got me.

Master
    Most of the films Ive seen available on Netflix are available on Amazon prime but a BIG PLUS is the very new films Normally available for £3.49 48 hr rental (or £4.49 HD and some UHD/4K) if you want to watch something very recent.
    Plus Buy them for good at Various prices then watch whenever you want.
    Plus the postage (other posters have mentioned)
    And the Music which I like (nothing too esoteric)

Good VFM in my book.

B

Superb service and half price for students. Told the lad to stay at Uni for as long as possible. They got a deal on at the moment choose any film at £4.49 free for students. We watched Dunkirk in HD for nothing.

Amazon prime delivery has fallen to pieces this xmas - its been shocking.

Not only that but stuff that should be available on prime has been shifted to prime now - the service that charges £3 per delivery for a two hour delivery. Why that stuff can be delivered in 2 hours for £3 but not next day for Prime members is inexplicable. Or rather is explicable if you factor in Amazon's desire to rip people off in xmas week.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    Amazon prime delivery has fallen to pieces this xmas - its been shocking.

Not only that but stuff that should be available on prime has been shifted to prime now - the service that charges £3 per delivery for a two hour delivery. Why that stuff can be delivered in 2 hours for £3 but not next day for Prime members is inexplicable. Or rather is explicable if you factor in Amazon's desire to rip people off in xmas week.
    It's about having all the same items in the right warehouse. The prime now is usually just stuff in your local warehouse. Exceptional value. Spend £40 (use to be £20) and have it delivered to you door within 2 hours.

Not sure how you can knock it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    It's about having all the same items in the right warehouse. The prime now is usually just stuff in your local warehouse. Exceptional value. Spend £40 (use to be £20) and have it delivered to you door within 2 hours.

Not sure how you can knock it.
    I'm not knocking the concept.

The point I'm making is that I pay a decent amount for prime membership every month on the basis of free next day delivery, the item I wanted was available on prime but not going to be delivered until after xmas - this was December 23rd - but the same item was available for delivery that day (23rd Dec) if I paid £3.99 delivery. I'd rather have had it the next day for free given that's what I actually pay for each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    Nope all free inc music too
    With Prime you get 2 million songs for free. You have to pay extra for Amazon Music Unlimited which has 40 million songs.

Master
    Had the student one and thought it a complete waste of money so didn't renew. I can generally find anything I need cheaper elsewhere, and the media stuff means nothing to me as the vast majority is pure crap imo. Kind of like sky, pay £x for 200 channels, but there are only 5 you'll actually watch.