closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega boutique Trafford centre

Journeyman

Omega boutique Trafford centre

For my sins I have just spent the afternoon at the trafford centre. I walked past the omega shop 4 times in 5 hours. At no point did I see any customers in the store. I think that has done it for me I will stick with the cheaper bb58 blue rather than the seamaster. I think they are pricing themselves out the market and that is why it is dead.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice, well writton storie. Fascinating insite into the watch marketplace. Please add more intel.
    Last edited by Skyman; 31st August 2020 at 19:55.

Craftsman
    Maybe tomorrow you can update us on getting a discounted bb58?

Looking past the usual suspects above...

I think Omega are selling well in general, I wouldn't read too much into one store on one day. In any event, buy the watch you will enjoy wearing the most, the rest is academic. On the Omega you'll get a decent discount whereas on the BB58 you'll pay RRP, so that'll narrow the price gap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Looking past the usual suspects above...
    Do explain?

This is up there with how long do I have to wait for a Daytona and why are there only undesirable datejusts in goldsmiths window.

On the odd occasion I’ve been to an omega boutique I’ve never seen a sale either but I’m not silly enough to think the brand is finished.

Personally I’d be saying do I want to save a few quid or buy what I want to own and wear. Taking into account discounts available to n Omega the gap in price isn’t huge. I’d always go with what I’d enjoy most. Also read nothing into the shop being quiet on one day you are there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    Do explain?

This is up there with how long do I have to wait for a Daytona and why are there only undesirable datejusts in goldsmiths window.

On the odd occasion I’ve been to an omega boutique I’ve never seen a sale either but I’m not silly enough to think the brand is finished.
    The guy is new, everyone starts somewhere so give him a break. Might be old news to you, it's not to him. As per his posts recently, he's trying to work out his first serious watch purchase and is stuck between Tudor and Omega. He's not posting to try and annoy anyone.

Also, what is the wait time on that Daytona and can you get me on the list?

I wouldn't read too much into your observation as there may be a plausible explanation - Greater Manchester lockdown or Bank Holiday Monday getaways for example. I certainly wouldn't rule out a brand based on one quiet day's business. Interesting theory though .

Craftsman
    The guy is new, everyone starts somewhere so give him a break. Might be old news to you, it's not to him. As per his posts recently, he's trying to work out his first serious watch purchase and is stuck between Tudor and Omega. He's not posting to try and annoy anyone.

True everyone does start somewhere, but it’s a bold statement to come here and say omega is overpriced etc etc based on 4hours in the trafford centre.
    If he’s deciding between the bb58 or omega look at the specs, reviews, try them on and then make the decision.

As for the Daytona, sorry I can’t help, i have almost zero interest in Rolex.

Journeyman
    I understand not wanting to take too much of a loss.

But have a gander at anything Tudor makes that isnt the black bay, and you'll see discount sales galore and sliding used prices.

Both brands struggle to sell anything but their most iconic lines and that's basically how it is in the world of luxury goods.

However, suggesting that omega (seamaster vs black bay) 'prices' itself out of the market, when it offers display backs, more water resistance, higher quality materials and a longer warranty at just a 33% higher price, is a bit silly in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by superthrust; 1st September 2020 at 16:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    True everyone does start somewhere, but it’s a bold statement to come here and say omega is overpriced etc etc based on 4hours in the trafford centre.
    If he’s deciding between the bb58 or omega look at the specs, reviews, try them on and then make the decision.

As for the Daytona, sorry I can’t help, i have almost zero interest in Rolex.
    I agree in general. I hope you know that Daytona thing was a joke by the way lol

Must admit, had that been me I would have gone in and had a chat about the new Ed White and found out if getting hold of one was possible. I would also have asked if they an old Silver Snoopy sitting in the safe unloved - you never know. Always a reason to pop in.

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    The only extra value a black bay has, is the £200 more you get back when you flip it.
    I would be interested to know which Tudor model you are referring too as my experience is they all lose money when flipped.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would be interested to know which Tudor model you are referring too as my experience is they all lose money when flipped.
    58 and gmt when released

58 and gmt when released

That is certainly not the case any longer though and hasn’t been for sometime.

Journeyman
    That's what 'when released' means.

My original comment wasnt exactly written as a glowing endorsement of tudor anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    For my sins I have just spent the afternoon at the trafford centre. I walked past the omega shop 4 times in 5 hours. At no point did I see any customers in the store. I think that has done it for me I will stick with the cheaper bb58 blue rather than the seamaster. I think they are pricing themselves out the market and that is why it is dead.
    If you were thinking buying about a Seamaster I wonder why you didn't go in and try one on while the store was quite? A great think to do for a few hours even in the trafford centre.

I dont think seeing an empty watch shop on a sunny bank holiday afternoon is a sign of quiet times.
    However Swatch share price (Omega,Longines,Tissot etc) has almost halved in the past year from 300CHP to 180 CHF,So perhaps things aren't that great!

That's what 'when released' means.
    Would be helpful then to have included ‘when released’ in your initial post.

Journeyman
    Would be helpful then to have included ‘when released’ in your initial post.
    It was a sarcastic comment on the value between an omega and a tudor.

Untwist your knickers.

It was a sarcastic comment on the value between an omega and a tudor.

I was just pointing out that if someone were to pick up a new BB58 or GMT today and try to sell it tomorrow they should expect to lose around 20-30% of its RRP.

This isn’t referring to SC!

Journeyman
    I was just pointing out that if someone were to pick up a new BB58 or GMT today and try to sell it tomorrow they should expect to lose at around 20-30% of its RRP.

This isn’t referring to SC!
    okay I'll just delete that comment then

Craftsman

Couldn’t pay me enough to be in there for 5 hours on any day never mind the last useable bank holiday of the year.

I notice WoS was complaining in the FT that footfall in London is still very low.

Master
    As an aside, WOS don't appear to have applied the price increases to their online inventory yet..?

Craftsman
    In fairness to Saints2014 he’s just expressed his own thought process. Yes, it may be flawed in others’ opinion but he didn’t actually ask a question like “how long do I have to wait for a Daytona?”. If this forum is just a chance for experts to ruminate and demonstrate superiority then I have misunderstood. Furthermore there appears to be a false logic in equating how long someone has been on the forum with their knowledge of watches. Granted, it appears from this post that OP is a relative newcomer to both. I for example have been interested in watches for 25 years but have been on this forum for a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Must admit, had that been me I would have gone in and had a chat about the new Ed White and found out if getting hold of one was possible. I would also have asked if they an old Silver Snoopy sitting in the safe unloved - you never know. Always a reason to pop in.
    I firmly agree with this. Fortune favours the persistent.

Blog Entries
    I would have gone in and tried on the Seamaster, and probably several other watches from various brands if I had the opportunity.

Thing is the Seamaster is an Omega made by ...Omega, whereas the Tudor is made by Rolex under another name. Be like....... 'like your watch'..... 'yes it's a Tudor, they're made by Rolex you know'.....'oh, really wow...' (thinks why didn't they call it a Rolex then?) Obviously WIS wouldn't think that but most people aren't WIS.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yes, 2 months ago that was you.

I am more inclined to go in if it is empty rather than when busy. I feel I have more time to browse and feel less of a dishevelled obstruction.

Craftsman
    Seems to be a huge missed opportunity there. If you were serious about a Seamaster you’d have gone in and tried on a number of variants and got great service as the sole customer. I know I would have taken full advantage of an empty shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    An impressive post count in 2 months!

Journeyman
    I am 100% serious it is a big purchase. I have a nice home, nice cars, nice kids, all come before a watch I dont have big money my main interest is watches I work hard I want one but I'm not prepared to buy one and blow a fortune on it if I sell it. If I get the tudor it will be 50 50 cash credit card and if I lose £1000 over 5 years so be it. I've settled on the bb58 blue. At £2800 as opposed to £4400 for the seamaster it screams value

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not at all! I assure you 2 months ago I wasn't agonising over my first 'big' watch decision like the OP. That was in fact about 16 months ago lol

An impressive post count in 2 months!
    Practically pedestrian on a daily average basis compared to Kingstepper. I'll have to speed up!
    Last edited by M1011; 3rd September 2020 at 22:47.

Craftsman
    I am 100% serious it is a big purchase. I have a nice home, nice cars, nice kids, all come before a watch I dont have big money my main interest is watches I work hard I want one but I'm not prepared to buy one and blow a fortune on it if I sell it. If I get the tudor it will be 50 50 cash credit card and if I lose £1000 over 5 years so be it. I've settled on the bb58 blue. At £2800 as opposed to £4400 for the seamaster it screams value
    I think you made a good choice. Hope you enjoy it, once you have it.

Craftsman
    I have over the years purchased a number of Watches from the OB at TC , more recently a James Bond Seamaster.
    Have to say whilst over that time there has been a rotation of staff I have always found them to be very customer focused. They are knowledgeable, friendly, polite and understand that we are spending large amounts of money and so the purchase experience should be pleasurable. As they are part of Beaverbrooks I have also negotiated discounts / additional straps.
    As regards the watch choice I have tried on both but was simply blown away by the quality and feel of the Seamaster. Plenty of iterations of the 300 and a difficult choice.

Master
    I always call in when i am in the trafford centre and they are always willing to let you try anything on.It is quiet at the moment but that dosen't mean you should discount a watch just because of that.

I always use my local Omega/Rolex dealer in Preston as i have built up a relationship with them and at the moment it is difficult to get much discount on Omega(10% for me so i bought a Seamaster for £3750)I think your choice is fine as the Tudor is a great watch for the money.

It isn't about the price of the watch...i bought my seamaster as a replacement for a SD43 and find it all round better for me.

Enjoy your watch.

Reading between the lines here, so apologies for any misrepresentation but I guess that if you walked past the boutique four times without going in, you might have been intimidated by the store. Either that or you were there with your family and didn’t want to drag them in.

I’ve only been into the hobby for a few years, and the forum a few months so I suspect I may relate a little better than some, more seasoned members. This was a familiar experience for me and I still wouldn’t feel comfortable wading in to try a Lange or Breguet now. However, their advice is sage: you ought to go in and try on the watches you’re thinking of buying, the staff want to make a sale, not talk down to you. You’re going to struggle to find a black bay blue in a window so potentially you’re talking about spending a huge amount of money on something you haven’t had any experience of.

As for comments on price etc... Tudor is a hot brand right now so early residuals are favourable over the next 12 months. I would suspect that if you kept both watches over a few years, they would depreciate proportionately, but I don’t think anyone can tell.

The seamaster is arguably a higher end product, with more history and made by a higher end brand than the black bay and is priced accordingly, particularly at an expected 10% discount.

Last point: if you like the omega and don’t want to haggle with dealers, there are plenty of new models available with official warranty via Chrono24 at significant discount. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk