closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

In the spirit of the forum,,,,Happy New Year, have a great night.

I have an old pair of Timberland boots which have lasted years with hardly any wear on the soles. However I also have a newer pair of Timberland Earthkeepers which the soles are worn completely in far less time than my original premium boots. Avoid Earthkeepers!

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have an old pair of Timberland boots which have lasted years with hardly any wear on the soles. However I also have a newer pair of Timberland Earthkeepers which the soles are worn completely in far less time than my original premium boots. Avoid Earthkeepers!
    The general consensus is that the recycled rubber used for the soles of Earthkeepers is too soft, hence the quick wear rate.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    ^ Nice!

Still keen to try a pair of Thorogood moc toes if I can track them down.
    You'll be lucky to find a UK supplier. eBay is the best source.

Craftsman
    Does anyone on here have a pair of Fracap boots.
    I saw some in a shop in Bridlington but didn't try them on.
    I did like the style of them though.
    http://www.fracap.it/it/collezione.html#.VKVnxSusWSo

Craftsman
    Got these Loake Bedale for Christmas

Breaking them in today

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    You'll be lucky to find a UK supplier. eBay is the best source.
    I fear you're right, currently racking my brains for friends & family visiting the US; earliest so far is Easter.

I've had these Timberlands for probably 15+ years and they are still amazingly comfortable.

But the time has come to invest in some new ones, so I went for these:

Reading some of the comments I'm not sure if they'll last another 15 years (they are Earthkeepers), but we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Chomega View Post
    I've had these Timberlands for probably 15+ years and they are still amazingly comfortable.

But the time has come to invest in some new ones, so I went for these:

Reading some of the comments I'm not sure if they'll last another 15 years (they are Earthkeepers), but we shall see...
    I've got the exact same boots, had them 3 years and they need replacing

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I've got the exact same boots, had them 3 years and they need replacing
    Exactly what I didn't want to hear Are any of the current Timberlands as good as my originals?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Really like the look of the Z526, I don't supposed you noticed these ones in the shop at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Chomega View Post
    Exactly what I didn't want to hear Are any of the current Timberlands as good as my originals?
    The uppers are fine, little worn on the inside (especially the heel) the tread is now all gone in some parts. Could get them resold but think I'm going to try red wing next. Shame as the uppers have that great worn in look.

Can't comment on any of the others

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Really like the look of the Z526, I don't supposed you noticed these ones in the shop at all?
    No they had combinations of the M120.
    Here is the link http://www.thepriorymenswear.co.uk/c...ootwear?page=2
    The Verdone looked an interesting colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I can't afford to buy expensive boots. But I can recommend a nice pair of Brasher Goretex walking boots - I wear mine on most cold days (and they are one of the most comfortable shoes/boots I've ever worn) or days like today when almost anything goes in the office :)

For me, it is all about comfort, and I could not put up with any shoe that needs a disproportionate amount of time "breaking them in".

I do like the look of some of the shoes/boots on this thread but doubt I'd ever spend anywhere near the amount some cost - I think I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to shoes.
    Plus the fact that most of the boots shown here are more fashion boots than winter boots. Its hard to beat Brasher hill-masters for an all round winter boot although I do use a very old pair of Ludwig Reiter Maronibrater Boots for deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    The uppers are fine, little worn on the inside (especially the heel) the tread is now all gone in some parts.
    This describes my Earthkeepers also. I think the original boots cannot be beaten, especially if buy in a sale.

I have some Earthkeepers and I haven't worn them a lot really. The tread on the soles has nearly gone but the uppers are still nearly like new.
    I think the comment about the rubber being too soft is right.
    They are also slippy on wet,tiled floors.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I fear you're right, currently racking my brains for friends & family visiting the US; earliest so far is Easter.
    Even with customs mine were still cheaper than Redwing. An alternative would be Eastland, their non-US made range is more readily available here, and they're decent quality too.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Last year Timberland did a re-issue of your original Super Boot. Their "Tackhead" range are GYW models that come with proper Vibram soles as opposed to the EK stuff. The thing is, I've never seen those in any brick and mortar stores.
    I've been wearing a pair of Tackheads for the past two winters (this will be the third). I do about 50 or 60 miles a week on pavements in them & have had them (Vibram) heeled once. Great boots, IMHO. They're much more worn-in than this stock photo.

I bought them off of a company on eBay that I'd bought classic 6" Timberlands from in the past. I tried these because I felt that the 6" aren't the boots that they once were.

Master

It's winter boot time

Just bought these waterproof timberlands yesterday. I already have a bigger boot, so wanted something a little lower this time. Bargain at £51 too.

Interested to find out - speaking to a chap in the Red Wing shop in London, people come in asking for well worn or vintage boots. They are selling some now.

I've been all round the shoe shops of the Trafford Centre yesterday and Manchester today. None of the sale Timberlands fitted me properly and I couldn't find any other sale shoes or boots I really liked that were within budget. Aspecto had some Red Wings reduced by £20 but they were still £200. They had some good looking Grensons but none had commando soles.

In the end I went with what I know fit my feet well, another pair of DMs. I went for something a little different though. A pair of tan brogue boots called Afleck. They didn't have my size in the Dr Martens store in Manchester so I tried on a pair of the shoe version to check the fit and ordered them from the DM website. They arrive on Monday. I had to go up a size from my normal size 8 due to the narrow style.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I don't have a pic but can seriously recommend a pair of Panama Jack Pilots from Russell and Bromley - sale on in-store just now - they are waterproof and sheepskin lined - very comfy and in the smart/casual cat.

On the other hand if you're looking for seriously rugged and very serviceable footwear check out Altbergs via their web site - they are defo not for going to the ballroom dancing in though.

And finally, check out Tim Little shoes of London for fine and not too expensive HANDMADE footwear. I've had their shoes for a while now to replace the pairs of Cheaneys that I had for years and I can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    I have some Earthkeepers and I haven't worn them a lot really. The tread on the soles has nearly gone but the uppers are still nearly like new.
    I think the comment about the rubber being too soft is right.
    They are also slippy on wet,tiled floors.
    I've said it three times in this thread, and posted a picture.... get the earthkeepers resoled with a vibrum sole.

Cost me £40 three years ago, they are grippy and they've hardly worn despite being worn 3-4 times a week and for riding my motorbike in all weathers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I've said it three times in this thread, and posted a picture.... get the earthkeepers resoled with a vibrum sole.

Cost me £40 three years ago, they are grippy and they've hardly worn despite being worn 3-4 times a week and for riding my motorbike in all weathers.
    +1 for Steptoe. Vibrum soles are ace

My US made 15-y/o Timberlands were the business - lasted and lasted.

I think the reason (apart from a decent sole material) was that they were leather lined. Decent shoes are all leather lined and cheap & nasty ones aren't. Modern Timbys are fabric lined - part of the reason they are not what they were.

Can anyone advise whether Red Wings (875s) are leather lined? I can't find a listing that states what they're lined with.

Craftsman
    No, they are not... well not fully, not on the heal and ankle, the front of the foot is of a very strurdy construction, they do seem to be well made.

I like leather lining but I do not think it is a prerequisite of quality; these are tried and tested designs.

I made a video of initial thoughts when I got mine earlier in the week http://youtu.be/hcKxH_BgNHQ

Best regards
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

I think the reason (apart from a decent sole material) was that they were leather lined. Decent shoes are all leather lined and cheap & nasty ones aren't. Modern Timbys are fabric lined - part of the reason they are not what they were.

Can anyone advise whether Red Wings (875s) are leather lined? I can't find a listing that states what they're lined with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

I think leather lining is more about what kind of style you are after. The finer boots I have (brogue, chelsea etc) come with leather lining. Red Wings however are (or used to be) work boots and come with very thick leather and no lining. This is not about quality, it's about the style (and to some extent purpose) of the shoes.

Red Wings are an acquired taste, the looks are very distinct and the thick leather requires a breaking in period which some find more painful than other. Once you've broken them in they are super comfortable and will last almost forever. There is no inner lining that needs replacing... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I think leather lining is more about what kind of style you are after. The finer boots I have (brogue, chelsea etc) come with leather lining. Red Wings however are (or used to be) work boots and come with very thick leather and no lining. This is not about quality, it's about the style (and to some extent purpose) of the shoes.

Red Wings are an acquired taste, the looks are very distinct and the thick leather requires a breaking in period which some find more painful than other. Once you've broken them in they are super comfortable and will last almost forever. There is no inner lining that needs replacing... ;)
    The Red Wing Irish Setter are lined and waterproof, actually work out a lot cheaper than the 6" moc toe. Also super comfy straight from the box. They are however not made in the US.

Earthkeepers had their first outing today, don't seem to require any breaking in and were soft straight out of the box.

[QUOTE=Jimmcb;3373803]Sorry I don't have a pic but can seriously recommend a pair of Panama Jack Pilots from Russell and Bromley - sale on in-store just now - they are waterproof and sheepskin lined - very comfy and in the smart/casual cat.

A second for Panama Jack, I have a pair of chukka style ones worn for the past couple of years, they are the most comfortable footwear I've ever had, and as tough as..... Well old boots! :)

My DMs arrived yesterday, felt great but got sent back for replacement because there was a 1cm long finger nail scratch on the side. Today I decided to get out a pair of boots I've not worn in a long while, my 25th Anniversary Edition Timberland yellow boots. I bought these new in Hong Kong in 1998 and love them. I can't find any reference to them on the net so they must be pretty rare. You can tell they are the Anniversary Edition by the inset medal logo on the side and the tag on the insole. The only thing I've replaced in 15 years are the laces.

Last edited by Phil Lee; 13th January 2015 at 02:05.

5.11 tactical trainer 2 mid. Have an in house breathable waterproof lining

They look neither tactical nor like a trainer, but they are very comfy, great ankle support and trippy soles

Might be of interest to someone looking for Redwings, although don't know if they're cheaper than elsewhere. Use the code FRESH15 for 15% discount before Tuesday. (It only applies to sale items in Red).
    http://www.surfdome.com/search/redwi...ort=bestseller
    Last edited by bonzo697; 11th January 2015 at 12:05.

My replacement DM Affleck boots have arrived. I think they look great. The colour might need calming down a touch but I have some tan Parade Gloss for that. The leather is stiff so I will wear them around the house for a few days to break them in. I definitely needed to go a size up on the For Life boots.

Craftsman
    Can vouch for red wings. Have my 875's now for two seasons and although. The break in period is substantial, they fit like a glove afterwards. Other brand to recommend is RM Williams.

Craftsman
    Can't beat grenson fred imo will be adding them to my small Grenson collection soon. Difficult to decide between standard and commando sole though!

Journeyman
    Yep bought a pair in the End sale last year. Decent enough boot but not sure if I'd pay full price for them.
    My go to bad weather boot is the Timberland Gore-tex boot. Things last for years.
    Another shoe that I wear a lot in the winter is the Mephisto Rainbow. I know they aren't a boot but they really are a fantastic shoe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Can't beat grenson fred imo will be adding them to my small Grenson collection soon. Difficult to decide between standard and commando sole though!
    If standard is leather, the commando has to be the better practical option for a boot if you do any significant walking in the wet, even in town. Leather soles just won’t have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    If standard is leather, the commando has to be the better practical option for a boot if you do any significant walking in the wet, even in town. Leather soles just won’t have it.
    I've a pair of Fred's with commando soles and for winter wear, they are the only option. I can't imagine getting much traction in wet or icy conditions with leather soles. Leather soles will also absorb moisture giving you cold and potentially soggy feet. If the weather gets really miserable, it will be a pair of my Scarpa boots or the wellies.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1873 View Post
    Yep bought a pair in the End sale last year. Decent enough boot but not sure if I'd pay full price for them.
    My go to bad weather boot is the Timberland Gore-tex boot. Things last for years.
    Another shoe that I wear a lot in the winter is the Mephisto Rainbow. I know they aren't a boot but they really are a fantastic shoe.
    Thanks.
    What model did you get?
    I have seen the Mephisto shoes but didn't realise they were as expensive as that.
    I think there are many shoes out there that do seem pricey for what they are, in fact clothes in general that are classed as fashionable designer wear.

Journeyman
    Thanks.
    What model did you get?
    I have seen the Mephisto shoes but didn't realise they were as expensive as that.
    I think there are many shoes out there that do seem pricey for what they are, in fact clothes in general that are classed as fashionable designer wear.
    Didn't like the ripple soles so went with these.
    http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands/...ot-229496.html
    Have to say the Mephisto's are the comfiest shoes I own. Would say they're better value for money than the Fracaps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    Got these Loake Bedale for Christmas

Breaking them in today

Good choice sir.

Not really winter boots, although they are rubber soled. Got myself a pair of tan kangaroo RM Williams today.

Have to say those who said they were comfortable were not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Might be of interest to someone looking for Redwings, although don't know if they're cheaper than elsewhere. Use the code FRESH15 for 15% discount before Tuesday. (It only applies to sale items in Red).
    http://www.surfdome.com/search/redwi...ort=bestseller
    Thanks for the heads up. I ordered another pair of Redwings and saved nearly £100 over the normal RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Good choice sir.
    Not so sure about the socks, must be a Christmas present

Craftsman
    After reading much of this thread and canvassing opinion at work, I just treated myself to a pair of Timberland Earthkeepers in red-brown.

Feel very slightly pinchy around the toes at the moment but I'm hoping with a bit of wear they will soften and treat me well for a few years....

Master
    I took receipt of a new pair of timberlands today, ive only worn them in the house so far so cant comment on longevity and whatnot but i tell you what, they are very nicely made and supremely comfy straight out of the box.

i was worried the blue strip would be a bit loud but actually, it isnt as bright as it appears on the website. fully water proof and a bit more intersting than many of the black brogues i tried on recently.

clicky

Would love a pair of Viberg Scout boots on the 110 last for winter, until then i'll have to make do with my Yuketen Maine Guides and Red Wing chukka's to see me through

Grand Master
    Not strictly winter in Suede but my obsession with foot furniture lured me in again for these Red Wing Moc Toes

RIAC

well after reading all of this thread and the brogues thread one im going to try find local stockist for grenson freds for a smarter winter boot

anyone seen any deal or codes ?