closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf...... The return.

Craftsman

Golf...... The return.

Good morning gents.

Been away from the game for quiet a few years..... 4+. Looking to get back to swinging the old club. Before I took a sabbatical I use to play 2 to 4 times a week, it got soo bad that I decided to get a part time job as a course Marshall lol. Unfortunately I sold all my gear and now it seems like the new stuff is ridiculously priced..........£400+ for a taylormade driver (what is this world coming to). Before my break I got down to a 12. My route back would be a few weeks on the range and than take out the combine harvester on the course with me

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Easy for you to get back into the sport, but will you be happy not getting back to 12? I play off 13.
    Fitted clubs allow me to compete at aged 60. Buying kit off here or e bay can be a bit of a lottery. And a waste of money.
    If you are serious go to a good fitter let them speak to you about the modern equipment, to match your swing speed.
    At my age very light Cobra woods/metals achieve fantastic results for me.
    Ping irons are also great improvement clubs.
    Choose a good pro you get on with for a few lessons. I go to a group lesson once a week, invaluable.
    I play a lot of tournament golf so its important to me to be able to compete, if you just want to play social golf maybe not so important?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Easy for you to get back into the sport, but will you be happy not getting back to 12? I play off 13.
    Fitted clubs allow me to compete at aged 60. Buying kit off here or e bay can be a bit of a lottery. And a waste of money.
    If you are serious go to a good fitter let them speak to you about the modern equipment, to match your swing speed.
    At my age very light Cobra woods/metals achieve fantastic results for me.
    Ping irons are also great improvement clubs.
    Choose a good pro you get on with for a few lessons. I go to a group lesson once a week, invaluable.
    I play a lot of tournament golf so its important to me to be able to compete, if you just want to play social golf maybe not so important?
    Many thanks for your advice and certainly very valuable points. I use to purchase alot off eBay and as you said it, can be hit and miss. My last set was custom fit mizunos jpx 800. I have been looking for something similar so I can start from where I finished. I use to love the buzz around comps, won a few and certainly embarrassed myself in many. If I was to be realistic I would have to start close to a 16 handicap but it all depends on the 3 cards entered. If the handicap comes out to be a 20 something than I will ask the handicap secretary to give me a observational cut..........when I started out, I was a 22 handicap but some fellow club members felt it was too generous, I asked to be observed and the pro and handicap secretary, with my blessings cut me to a 20.

welcome back to the game. Best game ever.

As wildheart has said EBay can be a bit of a lottery, but good deals (especially putters and drivers can be found), however what I have found it's not really about the clubs (unless you have your mind set on forged heads) it actually all about the shafts.

Take yourself along to somewhere like Precision Golf for a fitting. They will give you a chance to try lots of different clubs and shafts and it will all be captured on their Quad or Trackman. Once you have that information you will be able to shop around.

I purchased a set of PXG irons a couple of years ago with 95gm NS Pro Shafts - cost me a small fortune, but at no time during the ups and down of my game I have ever thought about the equipment - it's all about me.

Since coming back my handicap has gone from 19 to 11, so things are moving in the right direction.

Let us know how you get on.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I have an option to buy my old clubs back or start fresh??? Most of my old clubs were custom fit. May be start with the old clubs to get back in the swing of things and than upgrade or go all out new set??? My old set will cost me approx £200 inc irons, driver, wedges, woods and putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    I have an option to buy my old clubs back or start fresh??? Most of my old clubs were custom fit. May be start with the old clubs to get back in the swing of things and than upgrade or go all out new set??? My old set will cost me approx £200 inc irons, driver, wedges, woods and putter.

That sounds like a plan I’m not sure where abouts in Essex you are? Lee Porter from Hylands Golf Range is a master fitter from Chelmsford. Bill Chapman at Rivenhall GC is my coach.
    If your determined to get your swing back, you should be back to where you were in less than six months.
    as you know, this game is about practice, mental strength, course management & a lot of luck!
    Happy to play a few holes with you if your about?

Craftsman
    Iv heard very good things about lee. Many friends have been fitted by him. My home course use to be Woolston manor. Im contemplating Wanstead as its closer to me, friends have mentioned a membership called Surrey golfer which seems interesting.

Craftsman
    Btw....... Interesting enough, I would only ever practice on the range. I hated practicing on the course for some reason lol.

Craftsman
    I'd really consider getting the old bats back.of they are still in good condition. £200 is cheap as chips.

I play Orka irons and these are custom built, on the back of a custom fit. I've been really happy with them. Great time of year to be getting back out there.

Good luck!!

Mark

Btw....... Interesting enough, I would only ever practice on the range. I hated practicing on the course for some reason lol.

I’m the complete opposite. I go to the range during winter but I’m always on the course over the summer. It’s the best way to learn imho. You don’t get all the different stances, lies etc on the range.

Difficult one re clubs. If your old set isn’t that old then get them back otherwise a new set up is north of £1200 for something decent.

Craftsman
    Iv always been a mizzys man and the current stock for what I want is £600 (second hand) to £800 new........ Jpx 900 or 919. Iv not really looked at drivers as I know taylormade have a huge range from old to new stock. My old bats were jpx 800 with ns pro 1150 stiff shafts.

It makes perfect sense to get the old bats back and ride the season out with it and then get custom fit in 6 months.

Craftsman
    Sorry jpx 900 around 350 ish

Grand Master
    I'd just buy your old ones and use them over the summer, low cost risk, as i dare say something made you go from playing 2-4 times a week to not playing for 4 years!

I quit playing last November, hip injury was the main reason, but also not enjoying it as much, it got a bit boring and predictable for me, was 12 but playing a bit better than that, have had a couple of hits with the spare clubs i have and still not getting any joy, doubt i'll be back to be honest. But it does make me feel that if you're in any way similar, outlaying a few hundred on the latest driver and so on might make you try harder to get back into it, and maybe burning you out again, so best way would be the old sticks being bought back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    I'd just buy your old ones and use them over the summer, low cost risk, as i dare say something made you go from playing 2-4 times a week to not playing for 4 years!

I quit playing last November, hip injury was the main reason, but also not enjoying it as much, it got a bit boring and predictable for me, was 12 but playing a bit better than that, have had a couple of hits with the spare clubs i have and still not getting any joy, doubt i'll be back to be honest. But it does make me feel that if you're in any way similar, outlaying a few hundred on the latest driver and so on might make you try harder to get back into it, and maybe burning you out again, so best way would be the old sticks being bought back.
    It was for family commitments, my daughter was born and then moved homes. Nothing could stop me playing. My clubs came on honeymoon and every holiday after that lol.

Master
    Buy our old clubs back and then use them for a while as well as taking a few lessons.

Total waste of time getting fitted for a new set while you are getting your swing back. A good fitter will match clubs to your swing and the more consistent you are with how you swing (emphasise consistent, whether good or bad!) then the better the results will be.

Otherwise it's like getting fitted for a suit at Saville Row just before starting an intensive training regime. You have no idea what your body shape will end up with and whether it will be possible to easily alter that suit so it is still fits properly.

Craftsman
    Spoke to My mate this evening, he is more than willing for me to have my old clubs back......... His going for a full custom fit session with AG.

I would be up for a game a Woolston not far from me and played there before and bought a voucher in an injured services mans auction, a TZ 4 ball would be fun

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    I would be up for a game a Woolston not far from me and played there before and bought a voucher in an injured services mans auction, a TZ 4 ball would be fun
    Make sure you have a spade and bucket........ Sand castles lol

Not getting back into it, but rather getting into it! Have been having lessons at a range but they don't seem to translate to the course for me.

I initially had a set from a kind TZ'er, then bought an Ebay set. Am hoping to get out a lot more then maybe treat myself later in the year once my game has improved!

Craftsman
    Practice makes perfect...

Another option is to getting a fitting somewhere (about £50) to learn your specs and then look at second hand stuff. In most cases iron technology hasn't changed much in the last 5-10 years and driver tech in the last 5 years, so there are some really good deals on older stuff if it fits your specs.

As for playing I'd have a couple of range sessions to get the body moving and book somewhere for a round when it isn't too busy, as golf is really about playing not practicing (at least that's what I tell myself)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just picked up my old bats........ Had a few swings lol. I think i need wd40 lol

Craftsman
    Best, and worst game in the world. There is always that one shot, (landing 2 feet from the hole from 150 yards out), that keeps me going back time and again

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Best, and worst game in the world. There is always that one shot, (landing 2 feet from the hole from 150 yards out), that keeps me going back time and again
    I thought you were going to mention 3 putts from 2 feet lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WillS View Post
    Not getting back into it, but rather getting into it! Have been having lessons at a range but they don't seem to translate to the course for me.

I initially had a set from a kind TZ'er, then bought an Ebay set. Am hoping to get out a lot more then maybe treat myself later in the year once my game has improved!
    Going round without losing a ball was my first target, took a while to achieve, and was a great feeling afterwards, the blood pressure was high standing on that 18th tee mind. You do get better.

Craftsman

Talking

I thought you were going to mention 3 putts from 2 feet lol

My Scotty Cameron doesn't do them sort of things

Craftsman
    Going round without losing a ball was my first target, took a while to achieve, and was a great feeling afterwards, the blood pressure was high standing on that 18th tee mind. You do get better.
    My old home course, 12 holes with water and 12 dog legs....... Next to impossible not to loose a ball.

Craftsman
    My Scotty Cameron doesn't do them sort of things
    I guess paying £350 thats what you expect

Got my first lesson tomorrow, I love the game but I am shocking

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post

Its a journey.

First milestone is break 100, then 90, then complete a round with no 3 putts, shoot Sub 85 and so on. No matter how good you get, there are new targets you can set yourself and new people to meet and play.

Its agreat game you can continue to play until your body/mind finally gives up. Frustrating, but you only need one good shot during the round to get you back playing.

A just remember every golfer in the world has at some point missed a 2 footer, hit out of bounds, failed to get out of bunker or topped his driver 30 yards into the rough.

Good luck with the lesson, but make sure yo also have a putting lesson - its 50% of the game.

Eat, sleep, golf, repeat

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Practice the game in reverse.......... Drive for show putt for dough.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Its a journey.

First milestone is break 100, then 90, then complete a round with no 3 putts, shoot Sub 85 and so on. No matter how good you get, there are new targets you can set yourself and new people to meet and play.

Its agreat game you can continue to play until your body/mind finally gives up. Frustrating, but you only need one good shot during the round to get you back playing.

A just remember every golfer in the world has at some point missed a 2 footer, hit out of bounds, failed to get out of bunker or topped his driver 30 yards into the rough.

Good luck with the lesson, but make sure yo also have a putting lesson - its 50% of the game.

Eat, sleep, golf, repeat
    Cheers, it's an hour long assessment of my overall game to see where I am but fully expect to start from scratch, my putting is poor but I have been fitted and been practicing hard since, I have been playing for a good few years but as it turns out I have been doing it all wrong

My girlfriend is on lesson number 5 and keeps reminding me I have no idea what I'm doing so I have been working on my grip/swing/posture etc I want to do it right and hopefully improve so we can enjoy the game together (becoming members of a local club)

It's very addictive!

Craftsman
    Cheers, it's an hour long assessment of my overall game to see where I am but fully expect to start from scratch, my putting is poor but I have been fitted and been practicing hard since, I have been playing for a good few years but as it turns out I have been doing it all wrong

My girlfriend is on lesson number 5 and keeps reminding me I have no idea what I'm doing so I have been working on my grip/swing/posture etc I want to do it right and hopefully improve so we can enjoy the game together (becoming members of a local club)

It's very addictive!
    Addictive..... That's a understatement. I couldn't get enough so I decided to take a part time job at the course

Grand Master

Course management will help even the poorest swing to a decent score, just remember that you don't have to kill the ball every time, a 400 yard par 4 can be reached in 3 instead of 2 if there's danger off the tee, meaning you're putting for par, or two putting for bogey. Yes it doesn't look fancy, or manly hitting an iron or hybrid off the tee, but it's effective until you can control the driver.

Also being realistic will make life easier, if you carry a 7 iron 150 on that perfect swing, then a 150 yard par 3 may mean hitting a 6 iron, most courses have the danger in front of the green to catch those who think they can hit it further than they really can, it's not always the case, but i've never had many issues going over the green compared to coming up short.

Craftsman
    Course management will help even the poorest swing to a decent score, just remember that you don't have to kill the ball every time, a 400 yard par 4 can be reached in 3 instead of 2 if there's danger off the tee, meaning you're putting for par, or two putting for bogey. Yes it doesn't look fancy, or manly hitting an iron or hybrid off the tee, but it's effective until you can control the driver.

Also being realistic will make life easier, if you carry a 7 iron 150 on that perfect swing, then a 150 yard par 3 may mean hitting a 6 iron, most courses have the danger in front of the green to catch those who think they can hit it further than they really can, it's not always the case, but i've never had many issues going over the green compared to coming up short.
    Some very good advice........just enjoy the sport.

Ps golf is like being married, you have 1 good day but plenty of bad

Thanks for the advice, I am determined to do this right with plenty of tuition and practice, first lesson was excellent and surprisingly enjoyable, it has given me a bit more confidence and some instant changes to my setup has already made such a difference

Booked a course of 6 x 1hr lessons and a 9 hole course lesson and paid upfront so no going back

Also bought some new shoes from the pro shop expensive day!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice, I am determined to do this right with plenty of tuition and practice, first lesson was excellent and surprisingly enjoyable, it has given me a bit more confidence and some instant changes to my setup has already made such a difference

Booked a course of 6 x 1hr lessons and a 9 hole course lesson and paid upfront so no going back

Also bought some new shoes from the pro shop expensive day!
    It's all in the wrists, thats what stops you delivering a 7 iron as a pitching wedge

Craftsman
    That is awesome. God willing I should be getting to the range this week.

Let us know how you get on, on your journey back

Craftsman
    Just got back from the range........ After a few years, it seems muscle memory is in tact. Im not sure thats a good thing.

Some good some ok and many bad shots. It seems like I took off from where I left.

Golf is hard, I’ve been playing 3 years and got an initial handicap of 23, still is 23 now, don’t play any real competitions, but had some lessons now and I’m definitely playing better now, it’s just trying to maintain it, good luck yourself, I’m a golf nut now.
    Probably spend more on golf than watches 😂😂

Craftsman
    Golf is certainly not cheap, specially as there is no residual value lol

It's all in the wrists, thats what stops you delivering a 7 iron as a pitching wedge
    I played my first round at the course I am looking to join eventually, very nice course and very demanding, hit 106 which I know is pretty poor but gives me a good starting point

First target hit under 100, hopefully with practice and 6hrs of lessons I may crack it

Craftsman
    I played my first round at the course I am looking to join eventually, very nice course and very demanding, hit 106 which I know is pretty poor but gives me a good starting point

First target hit under 100, hopefully with practice and 6hrs of lessons I may crack it
    Course management can very easily get you below 100.....

Craftsman
    Played today at my old stomping ground, unfortunately it is in a dire state. I played off 16 as it was my first game back after 4 years. I got 33 points with 2 blobs, 3-3 putts. In terms of my course management I don't think I could have done much better appart from 1 of the blobbs...........should have taken the punishment.

Craftsman
    Beautiful evening in South Lanarkshire so spent 2 hours on my putting at the practice green.
    Teeing off at 12:30 tomorrow, might need to pack the waterproofs.

Craftsman
    Go rip the course up.

Down south you would need a boat to get through 18 holes lol

Craftsman
    Apart from a few rounds in winter where up here you have to play of a mat and greens are hardy ever in play this'll be my first proper round of the year.
    Below 90 will do

Craftsman
    Apart from a few rounds in winter where up here you have to play of a mat and greens are hardy ever in play this'll be my first proper round of the year.
    Below 90 will do
    Game management is the key....... Yesterday I was playing with a 22hc. Anything around the greens he would be using a lob wedge even though there was nothing to go over. The most ideal club would have been the putter. I can fairly say the lob wedge was his most used club after the putter.

Course management can very easily get you below 100.....

Quick update, 6 months of severe golf addiction and last 3 rounds have been 91,90 and 90

I have been playing a lot though, probably 2/3 times a week and a lot of range time (half a dozen lessons as well)

I had spells where I thought I was wasting my time, my swing still looks terrible (not as flexible as I thought I was) but hoping now to get consistently in the 80s before Summer and getting a handicap