closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky movies or netflix?

Master

Sky movies or netflix?

We currently have skyq but not the movie package, ( never used to watch a lot of movies etc ), but recently we've been watching more and more movies via a netflix subscription, but we are finding that a lot of movies that we want to watch are simply not available on netflix, ( quite a few from the thread that's on here ).
    How does the sky movies package compare to netflix in the number of films etc available, and, are they more current movies.

Master
    A good option is Now TV as you can buy a 2 month package for £15 so £7.50 per month and a good choice of films...same as Sky Movies.

Also you can cancel when you want as no contract so i tend to buy Oct-March over the winter months.

We just sorted a deal on sky q
    Netflix premium for £2 a month

Master
    Sky Movies is the best for blockbuster films hands down.

Netflix is awesome for TV series, documentaries and kids TV programmes, and personally I also really enjoy digging through some of their own independently financed films and "lesser knowns", but for new release films and a superb back-catalogue I just don't see any better value than SKY movies.
    Every day they feature a new premiere, and at least once a week they release a big name blockbuster (Friday or Saturday).

I know I'm set in my ways but I still don't think you can beat a decent DVD collection. I've "downsized" about a dozen times and I'm still in 4-figures. At least I can always find what I want to watch ;)

Sky is definitely better for movies, but like the above I really enjoy Netflix for everything else.

I should add, I've now been without Sky for over 6 months. I use only Netflix and Prime, it's rare I don't have anything to watch.

Craftsman
    We have both and I’m trying to decide whether to cancel the movie channels, that said it’s coming up to Christmas and Sky show most of the best Christmas movies.

Sky have far more movie content and most of the latest but I do prefer Netflix for its own stuff.

Grand Master
    Have both, netflix is getting binned pretty soon as they're really struggling to put any decent content, and with the loss of half the decent stuff i just don't watch anything on there now, weirdly i spend more time watching amazon prime, i honestly think netflix are in for a rough time in the next year, the content now is poor compared to a year or two ago, and with even more moves and startups, i can't see them coping well.

With now tv you can now magic your Tesco clubcard into credit

So your clubcard points are worth 3 x the value

Worth a look rather than wasting them in Tesco

You can but passes etc

Also Black Friday they norm do 12 months of movies for about £50

Can be switched on anytime (bought one for a Xmas gift last year)

Sky will always eventually shaft you when the “offer” they offer runs out - so diarise for about 40 days before its due to end so you can cancel or haggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the Sky Movies package since it started and had Sky since the early '90s so I could watch Star Trek NG as it came out.
    Of late I find maybe one film a week that's actually worth watching, unless I'm prepared to buy or rent it in Sky Store. Having already paid for the subscription they want more. Not a chance. I'll wait and any film I fancy will appear eventually on the main Movies channels. i haven't yet seen the final Iron Man. That's not been on.
    Many of the films are small budget things that can be quite good - some Brit films with quality writing but too gritty for me - but usually aren't.
    The library you can search has a number of blockbusters but not a huge number. The rest are very much run of the mill.
    Is it worth the money? Not sure.

Do you already pay for Amazon Prime?

We have had Sky movies for years but recently dropped down to the most basic Sky+ package and have been using Amazon Prime on our smart TV.

There are masses of box sets and movies included for free on the Prime subscription that we were already paying for.

- - - Updated - - -

Last night we watched a movie on Prime that was £5.49 to watch on Sky Box Office.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Also Black Friday they norm do 12 months of movies for about £50

We have this fantastic option.

This package allows to watch Sky Movies ‘Live’ or choose from the vast Library.

I currently have 3 - Amazon Prime (for the free delivery, not really bothered about the movies as this seems a pretty poor offering generally although I enjoyed Jack Ryan), Netflix which the kids like, and Sky Movies, which they threw in alongside everything else except the sport (in which I have zero interest) broadband and Q etc for £50 a month when I called to cancel the lot. On balance sky movies has the best back catalogue and best movies, but if I could only have one it would be netflix

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Last night we watched a movie on Prime that was £5.49 to watch on Sky Box Office.
    One tip with Prime is that they tend to have decent movies on occasion, but they are only free for a couple of weeks. I keep adding things to my watchlist thinking it's the same as Netflix, come back later, and they want a fiver to rent it or, more often than not, there is no rental option. It's not uncommon for recent additions to be free for a couple of weeks, then buy only, then available to rent after a few months.

The majority of their catalogue that is always available is garbage, with only a handful of exceptions - and to their credit, they do have an extensive collection of so-bad-its-actually-good B-Movies. But they do get some surprisingly major releases for free occasionally, just don't bother with the watchlist and check what's available today, because by tomorrow it'll probably be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    A good option is Now TV as you can buy a 2 month package for £15 so £7.50 per month and a good choice of films...same as Sky Movies.
    This is something I've been considering as a better way to get access to new releases. However, I just found out that NowTV streaming is limited to 720p, so it may not be a very good option after all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    This is something I've been considering as a better way to get access to new releases. However, I just found out that NowTV streaming is limited to 720p, so it may not be a very good option after all.
    Don't quote me on this but i think mine is now 1080 but will check...it was supposed to be rolled out in 2019

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Don't quote me on this but i think mine is now 1080 but will check...it was supposed to be rolled out in 2019
    FWIW this says still 720 for now:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-...-for-my-device

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yep, I put that link in my original comment. I checked first :)

Of course it's possible that they haven't updated their documentation yet if it was only rolled out recently. It happens.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Yep, I put that link in my original comment. I checked first :)
    Wasn't keeping up! 😳