closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Military style watch advise please longines 1938

Military style watch advise please longines 1938

I am hovering over the buy button on one of the longines military 1938 - although at 43mm reviews are saying it’s a pretty big watch. I have 8 inch wrists it would probably look perfect, I love everything about it, hand winding, no date, clean design. Image from web below!

I can’t just wander into a longines dealer and try on so was wondering if anyone here had one - also what are the alternatives?? I had a wanted to buy for a smiths prs B the 39mm but they are pretty rare it seems...

I’m thinking around 40mm and exactly like the longines !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military style watch advise please longines 1938

There is a modern reissue of the Timor WWW on SC currently it’s a bit smaller at 36mm but it looks to be a really nice watch.

I would also have a look at MKII
    I have both the Cruxible and the Hawkinge and I can’’t fault either for the money.

Lastly CWC have the Mellor and their reissue W10s
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st February 2021 at 11:53.

Master
    As John says. The Mellor is a good size. Here's mine.

43 is not an issue on its own. The issue will be that it’s almost all dial so likely will feel more like a 45

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    43 is not an issue on its own. The issue will be that it’s almost all dial so likely will feel more like a 45
    Yep - really could do with trying one on !

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There is a modern reissue of the Timor WWW on SC currently it’s a bit smaller at 36mm but it looks to be a really nice watch.

I have both the Cruxible and the Hawkinge and I can’’t fault either for the money.

The Mk11 watches at 39mm worth looking at, I do like the longines brand especially the vintage stuff, but vintage is a bit on the small side for my wrists and tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always try a flieger. Lots of options that tick all the boxes listed and only marginally different in design (depending on what you pick).

Master
    I don’t know your budget but I had a Vertex (still on the forum) and it was a tremendous watch at 40mm. Also Bremont have a similar design which looks good, although not a brand that is de rigueur around these parts...

Personally I think that Longines will wear really big and looks a bit out of proportion for that style of watch, although I haven’t seen one in the flesh and Longines is a maker I really like.
    Last edited by Ghost Chilli; 22nd February 2021 at 02:10.

http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/e...roducts/7H110H

http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/e...Products/3H155

I mostly remembered them because of the hand proportions.

Or you can get this one and then educate us about the R150 movement:

http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/e...Products/7H123

I think with an 8 inch wrist a CWC or something else at 36 or 38mm would look tiny, the Longines would probably be the right size.

U think Bell & Ross have a similar type of watch that also looks very nice.

Laco 95 is very similar, but with blue dial.

Also model "Used Look".

I agree with Rusty. There's more to watch size than just diameter. Lug-to-lug is important as is the proportion of the face to the case diameter. I'd wait to be able to try the Longines first before going with it or writing it off as an option.

Master
    I like the SUF M180, but it is quite expensive.

I always think these are quite nice, although I prefer the white dial on this paticular model.

https://merci-merci.com/en/products/...01-mecanique-1

Bit of a pain now though as I guess you'd need to account for import tax.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    As John says. The Mellor is a good size. Here's mine.

I really like that strap. Where did you get it?

TIA

AO

I could be wrong but it looks to be a CWC canvas nato strap that Silvermans now sell with the option of adding the broadarrow for 49p:

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...30888596537398

It does look fantastic on that Mellor-72.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I think with an 8 inch wrist a CWC or something else at 36 or 38mm would look tiny, the Longines would probably be the right size.

U think Bell & Ross have a similar type of watch that also looks very nice.
    It seems like the longines could be perfect proportionally, and as much as I love some smaller watches - to me, they do look too small on my arm.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I like the SUF M180, but it is quite expensive.
    It does seem so, tidy looking watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I agree with Rusty. There's more to watch size than just diameter. Lug-to-lug is important as is the proportion of the face to the case diameter. I'd wait to be able to try the Longines first before going with it or writing it off as an option.
    I would like to try it on, I will know straight away! Problem is the shops are closed at the moment (for some reason!) and I’m not sure I can wait, need...to....be....strong

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I could be wrong but it looks to be a CWC canvas nato strap that Silvermans now sell with the option of adding the broadarrow for 49p:

Thanks RC, wonderful stuff.

Thomas Reid
    Here is a picture of my semi-military watch with a Longines movement from 1938 (or 1939). The case is an Omega RAF.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Someone mentioned it earlier but here is the Timor Heritage Field on the left and on the right is the Smith's Navigator PRS-48. The Timor is still available on there web site www. timorwatch.com but the black dialed Smith's PRS-48 is sold out but the white dialed version is still in stock over at TimeFactors next time Eddie has the store open.

Don't know if the OP has gone for it or not but I tried that exact model on in Chisolm Hunter in Chester just before Christmas and came very close to buying it - it had been reduced to I think £1595 and they'd had it for some time. I think Longines make some lovely, interesting watches and this one was nicely finished.

My wrist is 7.5in and it didn't wear large - the strap is nice and soft too and it was very comfortable. Not big or heavy and it's manual wind so felt quite slim on the wrist and it was extremely legible. I think it's 43mm as they use quite a large movement in it (which is why the sub-seconds dial is actually at the bottom and not half way up as we often see when a small movement is put in a big case).

The only reason I didn't buy it was because it was a display model and didn't look "brand new", the strap had a bit of wear. I offered them £1500 which I felt was reasonable and they declined. Looks like it's hovering around that price on the CH website now and if brand new I'd say it's good value.

Nice watch :-).

This cruxible is looking great! Really like the dial layout and hands! Would you say it would be comparable in quality to a Hamilton khaki mechanical for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    This cruxible is looking great! Really like the dial layout and hands! Would you say it would be comparable in quality to a Hamilton khaki mechanical for example?
    Personally I would say MKII quality is better the current Hamiltons
    Nothing wrong with Hamilton’s but I think MKII have the edge in finishing and QC, I would say Hamilton’s Movements are better than those used in the Ready to wear MKIIs

Personally I would say MKII quality is better the current Hamiltons
    Nothing wrong with Hamilton’s but I think MKII have the edge in finishing and QC, I would say Hamilton’s Movements are better than those used in the Ready to wear MKIIs
    Thank you for the answer!
    I have to say the cruxible is quite an attractive watch, and even if I like the Vietnam era dial and hands of the khaki mechanical, this american ww2 dial is very much to my taste!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I really like that strap. Where did you get it?

TIA

AO

I bought it from Silvermans, the same day day that I bought the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post

I did not pay any extra for broadarrow to be put on , it was already on when I bought it.

Arrived today..Most pleased

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    Don't know if the OP has gone for it or not but I tried that exact model on in Chisolm Hunter in Chester just before Christmas and came very close to buying it - it had been reduced to I think £1595 and they'd had it for some time. I think Longines make some lovely, interesting watches and this one was nicely finished.

My wrist is 7.5in and it didn't wear large - the strap is nice and soft too and it was very comfortable. Not big or heavy and it's manual wind so felt quite slim on the wrist and it was extremely legible. I think it's 43mm as they use quite a large movement in it (which is why the sub-seconds dial is actually at the bottom and not half way up as we often see when a small movement is put in a big case).

The only reason I didn't buy it was because it was a display model and didn't look "brand new", the strap had a bit of wear. I offered them £1500 which I felt was reasonable and they declined. Looks like it's hovering around that price on the CH website now and if brand new I'd say it's good value.

Nice watch :-).
    I got one this week after much deliberation - have uploaded a pic..It’s a really nice piece in so many ways

Craftsman
    That looks spot on.