closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone from Windsor and surrounding area?

Anyone from Windsor and surrounding area?

My family are meeting my sister’s family in Windsor for a wander round. We then want to go for somewhere to eat, nothing too fancy but not a chain, maybe a gastronpub or similar. We’re happy to drive, so anyone any ideas?

I'm not from there but we are fairly regular visitors. For good pub grub and a nice ambience we always visit The Duchess of Cambridge pub opposite the castle. Gorgeous steak sandwiches and the like.

Master
    Two brewers pub by the entrance to the park. Good food and beer, traditional place with alcoves that provide natural social distancing.

https://goo.gl/maps/SZB3ZnvJjLZTGR2s8

If you can bring yourself to cross the M4 to the 'dark side', my old home town, then Tummies bistro near Burnham train station used to be very good, not been for a good few years, but reviews still look good

Master
    If you’re willing to drive then The Boathouse at Boulters Lock is a nice place with lovely views across the river.
    Or there are some pubs in Bray - The Hinds Head is nice. Basically between Windsor and Maidenhead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    If you can bring yourself to cross the M4 to the 'dark side', my old home town, then Tummies bistro near Burnham train station used to be very good, not been for a good few years, but reviews still look good
    Tummies is still going strong and a lovely restaurant.

Master
    Thatched Tavern at Cheapside is good. Well placed for a stroll in the Great Park but a short drive from Windsor. Also the Fox and Hounds is decent for the same reason, on the other side of the Park a little nearer Windsor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Used to work for Mars, this was a regular meeting venue - lovely place.

Have a look at The Old Hatchet https://www.oldhatchet.co.uk

Our favourite local and have never been disappointed, Camille and her crew really know how to make a great pub.

Burgers are divine, the steak & kidney pudding is amazing (ask for the ratatouille to be swapped for veg, and swap the mash for chips!)

We are there every 2 weeks without fail.

Equally you could go to The Crown in Bray, Heston's cheaper one - we prefer the hatchet though, however this is also very nice & quite a nice treat for everyone meeting up.

Or Bluegrass if you fancy something different & BBQ based, in Windsor itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Tummies is still going strong and a lovely restaurant.
    Used to go there for lunch often with colleagues. Many a happy hour.

Master
    Don Beni is a lovely Italian in Eton High Street or a couple of doors up one of the best curry houses in the area ( Golden Curry ) another Italian in Old Windsor called Puntos very good also. I know not Gastro pubs but some alternatives for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Used to go there for lunch often with colleagues. Many a happy hour.
    Really nice place, strange location but people come from afar to eat there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Really nice place, strange location but people come from afar to eat there.
    Yes, location is very strange indeed, feel another visit required….just to check over brunch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The Green Oak in oakley green Windsor isnt too far. Or Gilbeys in Eton. Both nice and local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    The Green Oak in oakley green Windsor isnt too far. Or Gilbeys in Eton. Both nice and local.

Gilbeys steaks are fantastic. Another Mars perk, the private team dining area upstairs to not ruin others meals!

Also Windsor bar & grill is another cracking option

Côte. French restaurant on the river. Not to expensive but great food

Master
    But Cote is a chain..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Gilbeys steaks are fantastic. Another Mars perk, the private team dining area upstairs to not ruin others meals!

Also Windsor bar & grill is another cracking option

They certainly are! A few good steak places not too far away, but going off track on the OP’s initial request; Lomitos in Gerrards Cross or Prime in Beaconsfield. But then there is other choices to consider.

Another option if you are prepared to drive away from Windsor is The Barley Mow on Englefield Green (towards Egham). Lovely outlook, indoor and outdoor dining and the ‘Sunday’ roast is the best I’ve had.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Lots to research

Master
    I live just outside Windsor. I see you have some good suggestions already mentioned. There is also Cattle Grid in the Central Station which I really like as a relaxed place for some food and a beer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I live just outside Windsor. I see you have some good suggestions already mentioned. There is also Cattle Grid in the Central Station which I really like as a relaxed place for some food and a beer.
    Best ribs I've had in a long time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Oh yeah the ribs are so good!

Master

Anyone from Windsor and surrounding area?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Interesting, since I started doing my own I’ve never rated the ones from Bodeans, Blues or Bluegrass.

Might have to look this place up.

Edit - just looked at it, always dismissed as too commercial. If there is a smoker on-site I’d be amazed, cooked offsite and reheated on I’m guessing.

No Brisket, pulled pork only in a bun, no platter. Menu seems a bit disjointed - perhaps why I’ve never been!

Welcome to come over and try mine, then decide on ribs

Last edited by Mj2k; 23rd June 2021 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    going off track on the OP’s initial request; Lomitos in Gerrards Cross
    Definitely, it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Interesting, since I started doing my own I’ve never rated the ones from Bodeans, Blues or Bluegrass.

Might have to look this place up.

Edit - just looked at it, always dismissed as too commercial. If there is a smoker on-site I’d be amazed, cooked offsite and reheated on I’m guessing.

No Brisket, pulled pork only in a bun, no platter. Menu seems a bit disjointed - perhaps why I’ve never been!
    We weren't too impressed with the ribs at Cattle Grid either. Ribs are far better in our experience, over the bridge, at Flaming Cow... however, a this is typical grease joint, burger/ribs/hot dogs/chips and probably not suitable for a family get together for the OP!

OP, given you're going to be in central Windsor, consider Sebastians Italian if you and don't mind making a reservation (it's always very busy).
    Last edited by cman; 23rd June 2021 at 20:49.

Master
    Ah yes forgot about Flaming Cow, although only ever had their burgers. Agree on it not being a nice family place for a meal!

Thanks everyone for the responses - we've booked a table at The Duchess of Cambridge.