closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deterring cats from crapping...

Deterring cats from crapping...

Any tried and tested methods?
    We have a flint drive and it has suddenly become the pussy-potty, with a fresh cat egg delivered nightly.

I have tried:
    strong citrus smells
    dilution of bleach
    Cayenne and white pepper

All with no effect.

Beyond poisoning the thing, or slotting it, is there anything less drastic that works?

I am considering watching for a night or 2, as I think I know whose cat it is, and telling them they need to clean it up each day or I make kitty disappear - but if I can more reasonably disuade it, that would be ideal.

I have a young daughter, and I fear she will end up treading into the house, or worse, catching some horrible bacterial infection or go blind - at which point I will just kill it, and beast the owners. I would rather not be that dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    1. Get a dog.
    2. Ultrasonic device???

Tiger/lion poo.

It worked at my mums, well, so she says, she might have just been humouring me.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Tiger/lion poo.

I heard this - I am not sure it works. Might have a punt tho abs report back.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    1. Get a dog.
    2. Ultrasonic device???
    Ha - then I have dog poo to pick up myself!

Actually, the ultrasonic thing perhaps. Although, when I was a teen and early 20’s I could hear actually hear these devices.
    I think I have lost that sensitivity now, but they used to really bother me, so am reluctant in case it effects anyone else.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar.../dp/B0002B7OT2

Or anything similar. It makes them feel... inadequate
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

A friend of mine has a sprinkler with a motion detector specifically designed to deter Cats, if said pussy sets foot on the drive/garden it activates and the Cat gets sprayed with water, thus deterring it from coming onto your property, however it normally seems to be my friend that gets soaked as he invariably forgets to turn it off before entering the soak zone.

I think he got in on Amazon if you're interested, I'd pick up some water proofs too while you're at it.

I can’t help but the Pussy Potty sounds like a few dubious clubs I have visited in Eastern Europe.

I wish our cat would go to the toilet outside, goes out for ages then comes in and uses it's bloody tray.

Master
    A couple of cucumber shaped objectives.
    Try YouTube for example effect.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    A couple of cucumber shaped objectives.
    Try YouTube for example effect.
    Ha! Have seen a few of these vids with cats going off like hopper-poppers when they see a snake or cucumber-esque thing.

Master
    This worked for a while and better than the cheap crap from Amazon. Mains power preferably to battteries
    https://www.catwatch.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Tiger/lion poo.

It does work, but collecting it is a bit of a b*gger.

i wouldnt normally reply but since you look like your on the verge of killing some cats,

get several ultrasonic sound devices and put them where the offences happen.

they have plenty of choice and will go somewhere quiet

the trouble is they are short range so one of them wont do a large garden, you have to pin point where to put them

Master
    I’ve bitting putting my coffee grinds out- I’m sure I’ve read they hate the smell - it seems to work plus recycling

Had this problem at the first property I owned. Could not get rid of the problem despite trying for years. It made mowing the front lawn a misery.

Trust me...ultrasonic device, citrus, coffee, the lion poo thing are all a waste of money and time.

It sucks that a neighbour who owns it will have a nice garden whereas your property is it's toilet. Even if you find who owns the cat, what can happen?
    Last edited by Christian; 1st June 2021 at 12:00.

are you 100% sure its a cat? most moggies wont go out of their way to try and crap on flint /gravel , the ultrasonic devices are a waste of time - my neighbour has one and ive seen the local ferals sitting next to it multiple times without a care in the world.

* prob more fun to get a super soaker , soak the cat a few times and it will prob stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Had this problem at the first property I owned. Could not get rid of the problem despite trying for years. It made mowing the front lawn a misery.

Trust me...ultrasonic device, citrus, coffee, the lion poo thing are all a waste of money and time.

It sucks that a neighbour who owns it will have a nice garden whereas your property is it's toilet. Even if you find who owns the cat, what can happen?
    Maybe the neighbour has a letterbox?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    * prob more fun to get a super soaker , soak the cat a few times and it will prob stay away.
    ... that worked for me.

I put guinness in it once and I think that finally did it :)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    are you 100% sure its a cat? most moggies wont go out of their way to try and crap on flint /gravel , the ultrasonic devices are a waste of time - my neighbour has one and ive seen the local ferals sitting next to it multiple times without a care in the world.

Defo a cat. Don’t see any foxes, doesn’t smell like it. Could not be a dog. Do not think it’s the Mrs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    ... that worked for me.

I put guinness in it once and I think that finally did it :)
    +1 - ultrasonic things a waste of time, I saw the problem cat saunter past like it wasn't there. Soon ran away from a shot of water to be repeated whenever it chose to return until it went elsewhere

Catapult.

Samurai sword. Good for vermin. Can’t stand cats.

I have two cats
    Neither crap on my lawns it borders - the odd puddle in the border yes but that’s it

My cats laught at ultra sonic contraptions - they cock their head if a new ine is found but just saunter as if it doesn’t bother them

Coffee grounds - messy a d again I’ve seen no results for those who have tried
    Now.... depends on if you want to put some effort in here but human pee.....

They hate it

A couple or three small bottles buried into the gravel with obvs the holes open - a funnel and fill
    Try to place them
    If there is a “drop” map

Cats also tend not to where they are fed.... yep, so you could always “be kind” and pop the odd bit of food down for them

Water - 100000000% is hated - I chuckled at the sprinkler idea

Any grass? Keep it v short as they don’t like to be watched on the bog too

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Easier just to have a piss in the garden late in the evening when boozing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    depends on if you want to put some effort in here but human pee.....

They hate it
    A couple or three small bottles buried into the gravel with obvs the holes open - a funnel and fill

Give it a bit of ham and pat it on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Catapult.
    I like your work!

You should think about the cat. They have felines too.

The OP is up against a fur-midable opponent.
    Maybe call the police, see what the local claw-enforcement teams can do? The cat is tres-puss-ing

Something like this might deter them

Start playing a 3-strings violin...

Perhaps the OP should just try speaking to the cat.

OP: “Hello Tiddles, could you please stop defecating on my gravel driveway? Perhaps use a toilet instead.”

Tiddles: “Me? How?”

(I’m here all week)

Hmm...if someone threatened that they'd make my kitty disappear, I'd counter threat that in that event I'd make their windows, both car and house, disappear with my baseball bat.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    We’ve had an ongoing fight with the local shit machines in this respect.

Tried everything...and I do mean everything. Zoo poo,tea,chilli powder,sprinklers,artificial cats.....the list goes on. We have an ultrasonic device installed at the moment. We had one last year which seems to do the job better than anything else until it died so a replacement has been purchased.

Some years and three houses ago we had a similar issue but we knew which cats were doing it and,more importantly,we could spot them when they were having a dump. I kept a super soaker gun by the back door loaded with water and chilli oil....didn’t do the cats any harm but caused them some discomfort when licking themselves with respects the chilli. It worked;after being squirted a few times they never came back.
    The problem we have now is that whichever cat(s) use our front garden they seem to have been trained in ninja skills as we never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Any tried and tested methods?
    We have a flint drive and it has suddenly become the pussy-potty, with a fresh cat egg delivered nightly.

I have tried:
    strong citrus smells
    dilution of bleach
    Cayenne and white pepper

All with no effect.

Beyond poisoning the thing, or slotting it, is there anything less drastic that works?

I am considering watching for a night or 2, as I think I know whose cat it is, and telling them they need to clean it up each day or I make kitty disappear - but if I can more reasonably disuade it, that would be ideal.

I have a young daughter, and I fear she will end up treading into the house, or worse, catching some horrible bacterial infection or go blind - at which point I will just kill it, and beast the owners. I would rather not be that dick.

I knew a guy who was less then best pleased when someone wronged him (let's say he killed his cat, or made it 'disappear')

He asked the guy (a family guy, like you............) -

"how do you manage to sleep at night?"

"I sleep fine, thanks"

"Do you think you'd sleep through a fire?" (Staring straight at him, deadpan expression).

So -

Don't be a twat - get on with your neighbours, accept that the cat is their pet - and see if there is a solution (other than telling them to clean it up). Even if that solution is checking your garden each morning, while you're having first coffee - and lifting it yourself.

If you harmed my cat I'd be after you with a baseball bat.

What do cat owners think about their cats sh1tting on some else’s property?
    I am sure if a dog had done the same on their front garden they would be rightly outraged.
    It’s something I can never get my head around, it’s ok for a cat to go and sh1t anywhere it likes but any other animal doing the same is frowned upon. (I am not advocating letting a dog do it’s business anywhere and owners should clean up after them obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Hmm...if someone threatened that they'd make my kitty disappear, I'd counter threat that in that event I'd make their windows, both car and house, disappear with my baseball bat.
    Is your name Johnny Concrete or what ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am sure if a dog had done the same on their front garden they would be rightly outraged.
    It’s something I can never get my head around, it’s ok for a cat to go and sh1t anywhere it likes but any other animal doing the same is frowned upon. (I am not advocating letting a dog do it’s business anywhere and owners should clean up after them obviously)
    It's a valid question.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st June 2021 at 17:57.

As you say, it is their pet, so they are responsible for it. Just because cats are not "obedient" doesn't relieve them from this responsibility.
    I would never harm willingly harm an animal, but would have no problem having a friend lend me a terrier or two in the garden for a while. Once the cat has found a new toilet the dogs could go back to their rightful owner. And if the cat is too stupid to try it on...

As to those threatening physical violence on an open forum... I hope for your sake that you are aware of what that says about you, and just to give you a clue it's not "cat lover".

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    As you say, it is their pet, so they are responsible for it. Just because cats are not "obedient" doesn't relieve them from this responsibility.
    I would never harm willingly harm an animal, but would have no problem having a friend lend me a terrier or two in the garden for a while. Once the cat has found a new toilet the dogs could go back to their rightful owner. And if the cat is too stupid to try it on...

As to those threatening physical violence on an open forum... I hope for your sake that you are aware of what that says about you, and just to give you a clue it's not "cat lover".
    Well, what is says about me is that we regard our cat as one of the family. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It's a valid question.
    It is appreciated that dogs can be contained within gardens and can be walked by their owners so that they can curl one down.

Likewise it is accepted that cats cannot be restricted to a garden and generally cannot be taken for walks to crap.

They are free to roam, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Is your name Johnny Concrete or what ??

No, I'm soft as cat poo (to coin a topical phrase) and couldn't punch my way out of a soggy paper bag, but I dont need to be when I'm in a position to ngaf.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 1st June 2021 at 18:00.

No, I'm soft as cat poo (to coin a topical phrase) and couldn't punch my way out of a soggy paper bag, but I dont need to be when I'm in a position to ngaf.
    Expect a free holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure I'm thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It is appreciated that dogs can be contained within gardens and can be walked by their owners so that they can curl one down.

Likewise it is accepted that cats cannot be restricted to a garden and generally cannot be taken for walks to crap.

Does not make it right though does it?
    Your choice to own an animal that cannot be tamed / controlled and therefore can be argued that it is not suitable as pet is causing other people problems. - now matter how trivial you perceive the issue to be, it’s causing other people to be upset.
    Is that right?
    Owning a pet comes with responsibility and part of that is cleaning up after it.

You = cat owners and not you Blackal!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st June 2021 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Expect a free holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure I'm thinking...
    As I said, I'm in a position to ngaf.

Probably not me tho. You might join the cat

Does not make it right though does it?
    Your choice to own an animal that cannot be tamed / controlled and therefore can be argued that it is not suitable as pet is causing other people problems. - now matter how trivial you perceive the issue to be, it’s causing other people to be upset.
    Is that right?
    Owning a pet comes with responsibility and part of that is cleaning up after it.

You = cat owners and not you Blackal!
    Lol 1st world issues abound

So a cat has a dump on your garden - ?

You’ll be telling us next that people who ride horses should carry a dustpan and brush for when that drops a dump on a pavement or public highway

Don’t get me started with dog owners who CBA to pick poo up or when they do - throw the bags into tree branches..... yes - that’s lovely.
    A feline will do its best to cover its mess, they are immensely clean animals that frankly do little harm to anybody - and bring great joy to many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to head off the keyboard warrior bants that this could descend into, let me clarify that I have been an animal owner all my life, including 4 cats over various years - and I am very fond of them. The last thing I would wish on anyone is to lose their cat.

I am though, far more fond of my daughter remaining without toxoplasmosis, so am keen to find a solution.

And to the post who suggested that they don’t poo where there eat, and pop out some food - I am ashamed to say i never even considered that, and am happy to try it. The cat is welcome, just not if it is shitting here.

Not sure, as the drive may be large enough for them to both eat and excrete in comfort, but I’ll try before we move to alcoholic super-soakers.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Interesting thanks. Not a problem I've encountered out here, there's a few feral moggys in the village, sometimes one'll venture onto the grounds but I just lob whatever comes to hand in their general direction, it seems to have taught them to roam off elsewhere.
    Have had to dispose of a boar carcass thoughtlessly dumped just round the corner though, coupla years back.