closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fountain pen servicing - recommendation

Fountain pen servicing - recommendation

If you need your fountain pen(s) serviced, repaired or the nib fixed or reground may I recommend Noah here:

https://www.facebook.com/thependoctor

Nothing to do with me but Noah's fixed a fountain pen for me and is about to receive three more for servicing/nib straightening.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    The last time I used a fountain pen was in "grandma" school for a dinosaur of a teacher who insisted on their use. I vowed "Never again" and never have. If you love them, enjoy them but I'll pass thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    The last time I used a fountain pen was in "grandma" school for a dinosaur of a teacher who insisted on their use. I vowed "Never again" and never have. If you love them, enjoy them but I'll pass thank you.
    Thanks for letting us know.

It would be great if you could start a thread listing all the other things you are not interested in, then the rest of us can consult it before posting any new topics. Cheers.

Cheers for the heads up. A decent fountain pen is a wonderful thing indeed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

It would be great if you could start a thread listing all the other things you are not interested in, then the rest of us can consult it before posting any new topics. Cheers.
    Yes I agree with your sentiment, it was a bit of a mean spirited comment. In order to level things up, I will go the other way. In my younger days I was a fountain pen fanatic and even after a disposal programme a few years ago, I still have 88 of them left. I was a Purchasing Manager for over 30 years before I retired and every contract that I ever signed was with a fountain pen. A signature in proper ink was a mark of respect to a supplier who had fought hard to secure the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes I agree with your sentiment, it was a bit of a mean spirited comment. In order to level things up, I will go the other way. In my younger days I was a fountain pen fanatic and even after a disposal programme a few years ago, I still have 88 of them left. I was a Purchasing Manager for over 30 years before I retired and every contract that I ever signed was with a fountain pen. A signature in proper ink was a mark of respect to a supplier who had fought hard to secure the business.
    Love this, total class sir .

Master
    Thank you. I have a Conway Stewart in need of servicing and nib straightening.

I think there is something special about writing with a fountain pen in comparison to a ballpoint. The fountain pen does not need to be expensive.

I try to write cards with a fountain pen but convenience sees the use of a humble Pilot C4.

I will be buying my children fountain pens but currently they are enjoying and learning to write with gel pens.

Master
    I usually write cards with a fountain pen and Diamine ink.

I’ve a couple of modern Lamys which are superb for the price and a 70s silver Parker 75 Cisele.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I usually write cards with a fountain pen and Diamine ink.

I’ve a couple of modern Lamys which are superb for the price and a 70s silver Parker 75 Cisele.
    I have two silver Parker 75 Ciseles and they're fantastic. Well, one is, the other is off to Noah...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

A forum - "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged".
    It seems that my views, in your opinion, are irrelevant. I won't let it bother me. :)

I sign a lot of documents in my role (Director of a medical devices company) and always use a decent fountain pen to do so - a Pelikan M805 which has served me well for years. I have a Montblanc Legrand also, used this to sign my sons birth certificate 13 years ago, put it in storage, and plan on giving it to him for his 21st birthday so will need the services of a good fountain pen repairer to get it back up to snuff for handover. One of my most treasured possessions from my late father was an old Parker fountain pen of his.

Can’t beat a decent fountain pen IMHO.

Journeyman
    the first real money I ever made I blew on a Montblanc 146. I was teaching English in Chiayi, Taiwan over the summer of 1993 at the age of nineteen. Cost me US$365. Ridiculous extravagance for someone almost broke.

I still use it to this day.

I'm a fountain pen collector as well and dabble in repairs and restoration as well as a hobby.

I'm sure there was a thread on here some time ago about who else collected pens and how many were in their collection. from memory I counted 72 in my collection at the time... it has increased since then as "pen maths" takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm a fountain pen collector as well and dabble in repairs and restoration as well as a hobby.

I'm sure there was a thread on here some time ago about who else collected pens and how many were in their collection. from memory I counted 72 in my collection at the time... it has increased since then as "pen maths" takes over.
    I've somehow gone from two to 21 in the space of about eight months. I bought a 146 from this forum, inherited five really nice Parkers, entered the world of Sheaffer after buying a Targa (and now have five Sheaffers including a 1950 or so Touchdown that had never been inked) and so on. I think the two inherited Parker 51s get the most use.

Does anyone have an empty q-connect liquid ink highlighter or two? https://q-connect.com/products/writi...hlighter-green

I've found the caps happen to fit a platinum preppy, whose cap is liable to becoming so loose it falls off.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 7th November 2020 at 19:17.

Master
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with The Pen Doctor if, like me, you don’t do Facebook or Instagram? Alternatively anyone else recommended for service and repair?

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with The Pen Doctor if, like me, you don’t do Facebook or Instagram? Alternatively anyone else recommended for service and repair?
    https://www.thependoctor.ltd/

Master
    Yes thanks I tried that but it just directs you to look at FB and IG.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Yes thanks I tried that but it just directs you to look at FB and IG.
    Ah, I didn't check that. I'll PM you with his email.

Does he do restorations?
    I have a couple of tortiseshell pens with lever operated bladders that need attention. They don't currently work at all.
    I think they're fairly decent, but more importantly have sentimental value.

Please pm me with the email address. I won't do facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Does he do restorations?
    I have a couple of tortiseshell pens with lever operated bladders that need attention. They don't currently work at all.
    I think they're fairly decent, but more importantly have sentimental value.

Please pm me with the email address. I won't do facebook.
    Yes, he's restored a few pens for me including a Mabie Todd with broken lever which also needed a new ink sac and the nib manipulated back into shape. I'll PM you his adress.