closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda Type R GT 2018

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    currently have a Skoda Octavia VRS estate (Golf GTI running gear) and a 600hp Jaguar XFR
    That’s a top 2 car garage, personally I would find it hard going to a Civic after the XFR purely because of the noise! Those Jags can sound biblical!

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    How so, I know some prefer the rawness of the FK2 and some purists will never get over the FK2/8 having a turbo?
    Sorry I meant the Golf R. The Type R is anything but boring. Superb to drive and a great driving position. Seats are comfy as well and you do feel as if you are sitting in something different when driving.

^ Got you, do you own one, we don't seem to have unearthed a TZ owner yet?

They are on my shopping list that and the M140i Shadow, currently have a Skoda Octavia VRS estate (Golf GTI running gear) and a 600hp Jaguar XFR , thinking I could step down to one car with the Civic , huge boot , plenty of room in rear seats and practical and not as dull as a Golf , oh and i'm 50 so gave up giving a fig what others thought about my car purchases long ago .

To be fair I hated it when it first came out but its grown on me

Found the dealers to be pretty poor though , local one hasnt got one and wont get one ,dealer in Swindon wouldnt offer a test drive so when I'm ready to order I will need to shop around
    Agree with all of the Liner as another nearly 50yo. To your list I would add reasonable fuel economy (35mpg), Honda reliability, fantastc resale, reasonable tech and a good manual gearbox. The fact some hate it endears it to me more. Fortunately we have a family owned dealership 500m from home who so far have been excellent.

I have the FK2 GT its a very early car so just over 3 years old now and never had a problem ,its a great around car
    on a trip to ikea to get some bigs units we had to put them in the Type R as they wouldn't fit in my wife Golf
    It returns over 30mpg and in the dry corners as hard as my Evo 8 & 10 did and with a top speed of 170mph to boot
    which it flys up too PS I'm 45 lol

Love it Bazza! Great to hear from a happy owner.

Journeyman
    Looks great, who has signed it?

Awesome, I’m now looking beyond the aerodynamic adenda and am now quite fancying one myself. I had a new EP3 type R in 2002 and quite fancy Re-visiting my youth. It’s either this or a Renault Megane Sport 275

Craftsman
    I test drove one a few weeks ago. Overall, I really liked it but you never see a competitive pcp or lease offered. The only deal I’ve known is around £8k down and around £350 per month with a final payment if you don’t hand it back. Too many cars with similar and indeed, better performance can be had for significantly less and I don’t like the Type R enough to pay over the odds for it.

Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    Looks great, who has signed it?
    It was Keiichi Tsuchiya AKA the The Drift King

Here is a photo of when my wife meet him and got him to sign the car

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love it Bazza! Great to hear from a happy owner.
    I've had my FK2 for two years now and still love it. It's now got Michelin Pilot Sports 4 on it which appear to be wearing much better than the original Conti Sports (one of the main criticisms of the FK2). And according to WBAC it has barely depreciated in the past year (in fact last month it was 400GBP higher than January). As only 2500 were sold in the UK it feels like it's starting to become a bit of a modern classic - well I hope so!

Craftsman
    Did you used to be on the MLR , Bazza?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I have the FK2 GT its a very early car so just over 3 years old now and never had a problem ,its a great around car
    on a trip to ikea to get some bigs units we had to put them in the Type R as they wouldn't fit in my wife Golf
    It returns over 30mpg and in the dry corners as hard as my Evo 8 & 10 did and with a top speed of 170mph to boot
    which it flys up too PS I'm 45 lol

Looks ok in black but then the one everyone is dissing here is the newer model isn’t it.

People saying it’d be ok if you were under 30... I think it’d have been too much for me at 18, let alone nearing my 30’s! But then I had a mk1 golf gti when I was 18, pretty understated hot hatch.

My main gripe with these fandango looking cars is the lack of function. I don’t mind a vent or hole but it’s all this fake stuff I hate. The ‘mesh’ on the bumper of the new type r for example, why!

I remember when the mk2 focus rs came out & my mate brought t round to show me. Fake carbon, fake vents and horrible looking sliding brake calipers. Years ago performance cars had substance now it seems they look as mass produced as the base models.
    Last edited by jameswrx; 26th November 2018 at 16:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I test drove one a few weeks ago. Overall, I really liked it but you never see a competitive pcp or lease offered. The only deal I’ve known is around £8k down and around £350 per month with a final payment if you don’t hand it back. Too many cars with similar and indeed, better performance can be had for significantly less and I don’t like the Type R enough to pay over the odds for it.
    FK2 was the same. I know Honda didn't ever intend them to be produced in the same numbers as the EP and FN but you'd need to REALLY REALLY want one to sing up to any of the deals.

For example, you can "rent" an M2 competition pack for less. A bit more power, a bit more quality feeling (I couldn't believe how plasticy a lot of the Honda was) I suspect a bit more special and definitely just the right amount of spoilers and vents for the more discerning gentleman.

I don't think the Golf R is boring, you just have to drive it so hard to start to really enjoy it that you either risk immediate bans or scaring yourself silly.

The Type R will be more fun, but it's too 'always on' for my taste.

My RX8 was perfect, lairy and exciting when you wanted it to be, with sublime handling, refined and comfy when you didn't, but never dull.

I leased my current Golf R Estate because I needed space for dive gear and was tired of 20 MPG and constant fill ups. It's stupidly quick driven hard, but it is pretty uninspiring, if perfectly pleasant, when driven gently.

I like the Type R, but I wouldn't ever have bought something that looks like it's crashed into a branch of Les Smiths!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Forgetting the looks, the type r is meant to be a cracker. And you don't have to look at it from the inside.

As for the golf r being boring? Utter nonsense. They're brilliant cars, and superb to drive. Arguably too capable, and in anything but bone dry weather nothing fwd will see where it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think the Golf R is boring, you just have to drive it so hard to start to really enjoy it that you either risk immediate bans or scaring yourself silly.

The Type R will be more fun, but it's too 'always on' for my taste.

My RX8 was perfect, lairy and exciting when you wanted it to be, with sublime handling, refined and comfy when you didn't, but never dull.

I leased my current Golf R Estate because I needed space for dive gear and was tired of 20 MPG and constant fill ups. It's stupidly quick driven hard, but it is pretty uninspiring, if perfectly pleasant, when driven gently.

I like the Type R, but I wouldn't ever have bought something that looks like it's crashed into a branch of Les Smiths!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Spot on! I really wanted an R estate, but after using as S3 for a bit, they just aren't for me. Going so damn fast when you drive it hard, i couldn't see it ending well long term.

Spotty teenager's wet dream.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Spotty teenager's wet dream.
    Trolling again comrade.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Trolling again comrade.
    It's called forum you imbecile. (you call me names, I'll call you names, capisch?)

Repeat after me:-
    forum noun [ C ]uk ​ /ˈfɔː.rəm/ us ​ /ˈfɔːr.əm/ plural forums or or fora
    ​a place on the internet where people can leave messages or discuss particular subjects with other people at the same time:Discussion forums are a way of contacting people with similar interests from all over the world.

Also get yourself apprised on:-
    stalking noun [ U ]uk ​ /ˈstɔː.kɪŋ/ us ​ /ˈstɑː.kɪŋ/
    the crime of illegally following and watching someone over a period of time: He was arrested for stalking.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

It's called forum you imbecile. (you call me names, I'll call you names, capisch?)

Repeat after me:-
    forum noun [ C ]uk ​ /ˈfɔː.rəm/ us ​ /ˈfɔːr.əm/ plural forums or or fora
    ​a place on the internet where people can leave messages or discuss particular subjects with other people at the same time:Discussion forums are a way of contacting people with similar interests from all over the world.

Also get yourself apprised on:-
    stalking noun [ U ]uk ​ /ˈstɔː.kɪŋ/ us ​ /ˈstɑː.kɪŋ/
    the crime of illegally following and watching someone over a period of time: He was arrested for stalking.
    Troll, troll face, trolling.

Similar interests? - you? never.

Illegal? - funniest thing ever.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Arguably too capable, and in anything but bone dry weather nothing fwd will see where it's gone.
    Ego magazine begs to differ. The Type R is faster on track than the Golf R, and they also said it was better on road too.

Chris, dude, seriously, get help. And I mean it in a nice and caring way since it's not normal to get all worked up about a bit of banter/pi$$ taking. Whatever got your goat, it's all in your head.
    X0X
    Last edited by VDG; 26th November 2018 at 23:09.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Chris, dude, seriously, get help. And I mean it in a nice and caring way since it's not normal to get all worked up about a bit of banter/pixx taking. Whatever got your goat, it's all in your head.
    X0X
    Nice try to attempt to soften your stance and I understand your frustration at the lack of unfettered access to throw stones and do what you do best.

Let's leave it at that.

I'll go a hug my goat.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 26th November 2018 at 23:07.

Nice try to attempt to soften your stance and I understand your frustration at the lack of unfettered access to throw stones and do what you do best.

Let's leave it at that.

I'll go a hug my goat.
    If your goat is agreeable, just say a word. You know, sharing is caring ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Ego magazine begs to differ. The Type R is faster on track than the Golf R, and they also said it was better on road too.
    You cannot get the same traction in damp conditions in a fwd car, as you can in a 4wd vehicle. That isn't opinion, it's science.

And comparing the driving and lap times of professional drivers of a high standard (which the Evo boys are), to the average owner is very, very silly. Useful for pub bragging, nothing else.

On a damp road, there's very few 2wd cars that'll stay with a golf r on a charge. An m140 for instance will hassle one all day long in the dry. Once traction is an issue, the golf walks away.

Journeyman
    This must be the car equivalent of the Diesel Daddy Chronograph! Was it designed by a pre-pubescent with a passion for protractors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    You cannot get the same traction in damp conditions in a fwd car, as you can in a 4wd vehicle. That isn't opinion, it's science.

And comparing the driving and lap times of professional drivers of a high standard (which the Evo boys are), to the average owner is very, very silly. Useful for pub bragging, nothing else.

On a damp road, there's very few 2wd cars that'll stay with a golf r on a charge. An m140 for instance will hassle one all day long in the dry. Once traction is an issue, the golf walks away.
    Rubbish. Informed motoring journalism is the yardstick by which many people pick their next car. There is nothing silly about quoting a motoring journalists opinion at all.
    As for your science

No offence but I’m going to take the opinion of someone who drives a massive variety of cars on a daily basis as their job, over that of someone who merely likes cars.

Journeyman
    I heard the Honda transformed into an Autobot and threatened those journalists to write a good review

In all seriousness though, when traction becomes an issue, front wheel drive cars cannot compete with their AWD counterparts. This is undeniable - Honda agree!

Front wheel drives do make perfectly good road cars, and cars that you can have some fun on when you take them to a racetrack, and are lighter and simpler to work on than their AWD counterparts, but it's undeniable that having traction to all 4 wheels will give better drive in all circumstances. It's also telling that every dedicated sports car is either AWD, or RWD.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweegie View Post
    I heard the Honda transformed into an Autobot and threatened those journalists to write a good review

In all seriousness though, when traction becomes an issue, front wheel drive cars cannot compete with their AWD counterparts. This is undeniable - Honda agree!

Front wheel drives do make perfectly good road cars, and cars that you can have some fun on when you take them to a racetrack, and are lighter and simpler to work on than their AWD counterparts, but it's undeniable that having traction to all 4 wheels will give better drive in all circumstances. It's also telling that every dedicated sports car is either AWD, or RWD.
    and yet the worlds quickest cars are all 2wd

Journeyman
    On gravel or ice? Maybe not ;)

Master
    Forgetting the looks, the type r is meant to be a cracker. And you don't have to look at it from the inside.

As for the golf r being boring? Utter nonsense. They're brilliant cars, and superb to drive. Arguably too capable, and in anything but bone dry weather nothing fwd will see where it's gone.
    I leased a Golf R for 2 years then leased a Cupra 290 black edition when the R went back. Traffic light GP the R is offski. Once rolling the Cupra was quicker in anything but snow, without a shadow of a doubt. It also went round corners at speeds where my R would have ended up in a field due to the VAQ diff doing things that the haldex 4wd system simply isn't capable of. So I don't doubt that a type R would be quicker again.

The Golf R is a traffic light hero (4wd = traction not lateral grip). Mine always felt a bit lethargic in the mid range when rolling. I would happily have another though as it's a great allrounder.

Veyron is AWD.

Journeyman
    Veyron is AWD.
    Meet the Koenigsegg Agera RS..... Some say it's faster, and corners better. The Veyron's not that quick round a circuit due to its enormous hulking weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I've had my FK2 for two years now and still love it. It's now got Michelin Pilot Sports 4 on it which appear to be wearing much better than the original Conti Sports (one of the main criticisms of the FK2). And according to WBAC it has barely depreciated in the past year (in fact last month it was 400GBP higher than January). As only 2500 were sold in the UK it feels like it's starting to become a bit of a modern classic - well I hope so!
    I run the same MPS4 but I went 245 and I fitted a B-pipe does sound better also have drilled rear brakes just for the look

Did you used to be on the MLR , Bazza?
    Yes Sir I had a 410bhp Evo 8 and a 480bhp Evo X FQ360

Craftsman
    Talking of type r's. Last week I bought what is usually termed the runt of the litter. An FN2. Low miles/owners and an absolute hoot to drive particularly to a first time ctr owner. It's like a four wheeled motorbike, especially near the 8k red line. What a sound. After years in auto mercs it reminds you of a what proper drive is all about. Early days, but I love my wee runt!

Right, I need to try one out!

Thanks for starting another craving lol
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Is complaining about the looks not missing the whole point about this car? I think it is meant to scream “asbo.”

& it does that well 😮
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by billymac View Post
    Talking of type r's. Last week I bought what is usually termed the runt of the litter. An FN2. Low miles/owners and an absolute hoot to drive particularly to a first time ctr owner. It's like a four wheeled motorbike, especially near the 8k red line. What a sound. After years in auto mercs it reminds you of a what proper drive is all about. Early days, but I love my wee runt!
    Great choice Billy, and your comments about the auto Merc are very true. I am so over German cars, when I moved here from Oz 6 yrs ago I could not get enough of them but I quickly became disillusioned. Its little wonder the BMW 1M has become so revered, it is supposdely one of the few Gemran cars that is a hoot to drive and actually engages the driver (allegedly, never driven one)

The CTR comes from a completely different engineering philosophy. As did the Evo, WRX/STi's etc.

Any pics?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Yes Sir I had a 410bhp Evo 8 and a 480bhp Evo X FQ360
    I thought I recalled the name , I had a 410hp Evo 6 with a 8MR engine and 9 turbo

I have driven the Golf R (So I can call it dull, traction is one thing but its heavy) and drove the M140i (Very nice) but still have the FK8 on the shopping list, the Honda loses out in the 0-60 traffic light Grand Prixs in the mags as it has software limiting launch rpm and no launch control

The M140 is nice and extremely rapid mid range but it doesn’t feel anything special when driving.
    I ended up passing on the Type R as everyone I tried had a rattle but they are great to drive

I have driven the Golf R (So I can call it dull, traction is one thing but its heavy) and drove the M140i (Very nice) but still have the FK8 on the shopping list, the Honda loses out in the 0-60 traffic light Grand Prixs in the mags as it has software limiting launch rpm and no launch control[/QUOTE]

Nice chap I fitted the 8mr turbo to my Evo 8 and a HKS GT2 to the X plus the big Alcon 6 pot brake kit
    But Honest I like the Honda more than both Evo's

Craftsman
    I parted with my Golf R estate after around 21 months. It was a great car in many ways but as some have hinted at, I found it a bit dull once the initial ‘new car’ excitement wore off. It was more than fast enough for my needs and I did enjoy driving it but it lacked involvement. Excitement only really came for me at silly speeds.

I had an M135I back in 2013 which I kept for about a year. Unlike many who sing the praises of RWD cars, I just didn’t enjoy driving it, especially in anything other than dry weather. I imagine the x drive version would be more suited to me but a bit like the R, I found the BMW pretty boring to look at after a while.

Looking back at previous cars and indeed, my current car (UP GTI), I seem to have a lot more fun in slower, lighter and cheaper manual cars (including Abarth 595, Clio 197 and Corsa VXR) which I can thrash and still keep my license.

That said, my wife and I are keen to have a look at the forthcoming Skoda Kodiaq VRS which I think looks superb. Again, the deals might leave a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by MTM84; 28th November 2018 at 22:24.

I have a friend who has exactly the same thoughts. He had an M4 but found he could only enjoy it at licence losing speeds so he sold it and picked up a mini JCW which he loves and finds great fun.

Craftsman
    any pics?
    If I must, lol.

Got a set of Eibach progressive springs and front camber adjusting bolts in the post. Should make for a nicer ride with much less understeer.

Craftsman
    I parted with my Golf R estate after around 21 months. It was a great car in many ways but as some have hinted at, I found it a bit dull once the initial ‘new car’ excitement wore off. It was more than fast enough for my needs and I did enjoy driving it but it lacked involvement. Excitement only really came for me at silly speeds.

I had an M135I back in 2013 which I kept for about a year. Unlike many who sing the praises of RWD cars, I just didn’t enjoy driving it, especially in anything other than dry weather. I imagine the x drive version would be more suited to me but a bit like the R, I found the BMW pretty boring to look at after a while.

Looking back at previous cars and indeed, my current car (UP GTI), I seem to have a lot more fun in slower, lighter and cheaper manual cars (including Abarth 595, Clio 197 and Corsa VXR) which I can thrash and still keep my license.

That said, my wife and I are keen to have a look at the forthcoming Skoda Kodiaq VRS which I think looks superb. Again, the deals might leave a lot to be desired.
    Yep agree re Skoda deals, the Kodiaq VRS is a diesel only so its a no from me, shame as the petrol engine is superb and there already is the 280 version in the appropriately named "Superb"

I had a Fabia VRS prior to my Octavia and it was a hoot, I miss it but wife wanted a smaller car which meant I had to get the larger family one. Now my son has gone off to Uni leaving his Citroen C1 on the drive, I drive that occasionally and its really entertaining as you say at non licence losing speeds , in comparison a 600hp Jag is monstrously fast its not as much fun as the C1

Craftsman
    Yep agree re Skoda deals, the Kodiaq VRS is a diesel only so its a no from me, shame as the petrol engine is superb and there already is the 280 version in the appropriately named "Superb"

I had a Fabia VRS prior to my Octavia and it was a hoot, I miss it but wife wanted a smaller car which meant I had to get the larger family one. Now my son has gone off to Uni leaving his Citroen C1 on the drive, I drive that occasionally and its really entertaining as you say at non licence losing speeds , in comparison a 600hp Jag is monstrously fast its not as much fun as the C1
    What’s putting you off the diesel most? I’m not a fan of diesels either but if she does go down a 4x4 route, I much prefer the looks and interior compared to the Audi SQ5 for example.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Citroen C1 on the drive, I drive that occasionally and its really entertaining as you say at non licence losing speeds , in comparison a 600hp Jag is monstrously fast its not as much fun as the C1
    Totally agree with that plot!

Craftsman
    Check out the Seat Ateca, it’s the same footprint as the Kodiaq, but it’s nicer inside, and the 4x4 version of it has the Golf GTi engine in it! It’s a hoot for the type of car it is.

Craftsman
    What’s putting you off the diesel most? I’m not a fan of diesels either but if she does go down a 4x4 route, I much prefer the looks and interior compared to the Audi SQ5 for example.
    I owned the Superb with that engine it wasn't that great and can't see it being any better in the Kodiak