closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 83 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I was shocked and very disappointed when on visiting Isla I learned that Diageo malt most of the barley for the distilleries on the island. Even if the distilleries stay independent, they are still under the control of Diageo in some form.
    Almost all the decent sized whisky companies trade grain to each other, even to close competitors, there’s a lot of money to be made in this field ( so to speak).

There is not many single malts I'd recommend at your budget. You could possibly try one of these to expand your tasting experience, all current prices from amazon.

Highland Park 12 £25 - Peated 40% abv

Roe & Co £29.49 - Irish 45% abv

Wild turkey 101 £28.90 - Bourbon 50.5% abv
    Last edited by DamianM; 1st November 2019 at 07:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    There is not many single malts I'd recommend at your budget. You could possibly try one of these to expand your tasting experience, all current prices from amazon.

Highland Park 12 £25 - Peated 40% abv

Roe & Co £29.49 - Irish 45% abv

Wild turkey 101 £28.90 - Bourbon 50.5% abv

It could be just me, but Roe & Co is not great. Its quite harsh & tastes more like a liqueur or something else than a whiskey.
    I think it could make a great ingredient for cocktails with its strong pear influence, but as a whiskey to sip and enjoy, it just isnt that, at least to my pallet.

Journeyman
    It could be just me, but Roe & Co is not great. Its quite harsh & tastes more like a liqueur or something else than a whiskey.
    I think it could make a great ingredient for cocktails with its strong pear influence, but as a whiskey to sip and enjoy, it just isnt that, at least to my pallet.
    What would you recommend?

Blog Entries
    Just back from the USA with a couple of Rye Whiskies (which I like on the rocks)
    Our US office is in NC so I thought I’d try the local Rye...
    ...& while I was away the Tullibardine 20 arrived.

Happy days.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 1st November 2019 at 15:34.

Craftsman
    Any recommendations for Ardmore single malt, it’s £20 in Asda £31.50 in co-op.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Everybody's palette is different, for me it's one of the best buys at that sort of money.

Imo it leagues above any of the watered down swill that most distilleries are throwing out at £20 odd quid a bottle. This is only £24 in tesco atm, I'll pick up another one of it pover the weekend for sure.

The whisky game has moved on a lot even since I began my journey 4 yrs ago. The price of the good stuff has nearly doubled and we are left with just run of the mill NAS bottling to fill the void at the cheaper end of the price scale.

Laphroaig 10 is superb if you can get accustomed to the taste. Apart from Bushmills 12 which is a distillery exclusive, you need to go £50+ to get something really nice to sip over, Imo of course

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    What would you recommend?
    For that money, bushmills black bush. OK so it's technically not a single malt, it's a blend but it has a very high percentage of malt, with a lot of biscuity goodness and its quite sherried.

Its my go to whiskey and I'd drink more of this than anything else, because it's as good as others at twice the price, and it's also super affordable. Yes there are better whiskeys but they are 3 times the cost and that doesn't mean this is bad, it's still really really good.

Value for money, it can't be beat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushmills-B...ck+bush&sr=8-3

Craftsman
    Everybody's palette is different, for me it's one of the best buys at that sort of money.

Imo it leagues above any of the watered down swill that most distilleries are throwing out at £20 odd quid a bottle. This is only £24 in tesco atm, I'll pick up another one of it pover the weekend for sure.

The whisky game has moved on a lot even since I began my journey 4 yrs ago. The price of the good stuff has nearly doubled and we are left with just run of the mill NAS bottling to fill the void at the cheaper end of the price scale.

Laphroaig 10 is superb if you can get accustomed to the taste. Apart from Bushmills 12 which is a distillery exclusive, you need to go £50+ to get something really nice to sip over, Imo of course
    Depends on the distillery, famous grouse, sure it beats that junk without trying, but your standard Jameson at 20 quid or cheaper is, IMHO far more drinkable. A little boring perhaps but still tasty.

Old Perth

For the money and less than £30 a bottle it's one of the best blends out there. I know, a blend but if you like sherried tipples it's good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After enjoying the first so much I've picked up 2 bottles of the Ben Bracken from Lidl

https://whiskeybon.com/scotch/lidl-b...eyside-review/

At an astonishing 9.99 euro a bottle, I thought it rude not to.

Depends on the distillery, famous grouse, sure it beats that junk without trying, but your standard Jameson at 20 quid or cheaper is, IMHO far more drinkable. A little boring perhaps but still tasty.
    If you like std jameson you might like mcgregors proper 12, quite similar in taste. A few quid more about £26 locally with me.

I think this packaging sums up Laphroaig 10

Going to buy this for a Xmas gift for my brother

Craftsman
    If you like std jameson you might like mcgregors proper 12, quite similar in taste. A few quid more about £26 locally with me.
    I've tried proper 12 and I'm not a fan. The only quality it shares with Jameson is its ability to function well with different mixers, it's not overpowering. But where Jameson still has a character of its own when drank neat, proper 12 seems lacking, like it needs a mixer to be of any value. Jameson is subtle, which is why it is so good in cocktails but also why good neat, it's still a good whiskey in its own right with character and depth, even if it's subtle. One sit quietly with neat std jameaon and enjoy it, explore it, but that can't be said for proper 12

I've tried proper 12 and I'm not a fan. The only quality it shares with Jameson is its ability to function well with different mixers, it's not overpowering. But where Jameson still has a character of its own when drank neat, proper 12 seems lacking, like it needs a mixer to be of any value. Jameson is subtle, which is why it is so good in cocktails but also why good neat, it's still a good whiskey in its own right with character and depth, even if it's subtle. One sit quietly with neat std jameaon and enjoy it, explore it, but that can't be said for proper 12
    I'd probably steer more towards the P12 myself as I'm more of a fan of the Bushmills style than Jameson. Blenders dog is probably the only one from their core range that I buy.

They are what they are, run of the mill drinking whiskeys for the masses to be paired with your favorite mixer. They have their uses and I always have a bottle in the cupboard.

Luckily for us there's plenty of offerings to please everyones diverse preferences.

Sunday evening dram

Question for you ppl in the know.
    I'm not much of a whiskey drinker, only take one when I feel the sniffles coming on.
    About 10 years ago I visited Yoichi and bought a small 50cl bottling that might only have been available there. 12yo single cask.
    I understand some whiskeys shoot up in price and get sought after and just want to make sure I don't waste something 'rare' or 'good' on sniffles-whiskey.
    Think I have a gifted Mackmyra somewhere that would do me as good..

Grand Master

Nice to be appreciated.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Nice to be appreciated.
    Superb whiskey

Question?
    Cheapest or most predictable place to buy 16 yr Laguvulin.
    Cheapest I can find at the mo is £50 in Waitrose?
    Help

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Question?
    Help

That seems to be the going rate for it even online, but you would have to prob pay delivery charge on top. if you have a waitrose local to you then you should just pick it up there.

Craftsman
    Question?
    Help

Costco always used to have it for around 38 quid a bottle - however it has been a couple of years since I've been UK based so may no longer be the case!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Costco always used to have it for around 38 quid a bottle - however it has been a couple of years since I've been UK based so may no longer be the case!
    You are correct, Costco is still the place to get it

Fancied something Peated tonight.

Apprentice
    Currently enjoying a glass of Jameson's Cask Mates Stout Edition. Easy drinking and incredibly good value. 👌

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    I was in Costco today and it's £46 with vat

Master

Just had this delivered may have a few doubles tonight, see what it’s like!!
    Last edited by Hooshabak; 15th November 2019 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post

Just had this delivered may have a few doubles tonight, see what it’s like!!
    Snap!

Although technically ours is the Post office as they couldnt deliver today :(

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Nice to be appreciated.
    Been toying with trying Irish whisky as the Scottish just doesn't agree with me. Be interested to hear what you think of it

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I much prefer Irish but then I’m biased 🥃

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Question?
    Help

If you don't need it immediately, Amazon. I have a price alert set up with Camel Camel Camel and it comes up now and again at £43.xx.

Pretty much all whiskey on Amazon will show up heavily discounted sooner or later.

Master
    Another one picked up from the post office today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Another one picked up from the post office today.

Drinker or investment?

Journeyman
    Off to Irish, Japanese and Taiwanese...

Master
    Question?
    Help
    More a note for the future. If you get a Waitrose card you periodically get vouchers through. We just got £8 off £40 spend, £10 off £50 and £12 off £60 through. Given they normally have a decent range and good amounts off bottles in turn it can be a handy way to get a decent deal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Been toying with trying Irish whisky as the Scottish just doesn't agree with me. Be interested to hear what you think of it

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    This is ver very nice. The 15 year is great value too.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Two sherry casks arrived today. Will report back when I crack them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Two sherry casks arrived today. Will report back when I crack them.

My number 1 and 2 distilleries. Glendronach 18 is magnificent and if you have a 2019 bottle is actually 24 years old. Bunna is awesome although I prefer their cask finishes and special editions.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Glendronach 18 is magnificent and if you have a 2019 bottle is actually 24 years old.
    Interesting. Why is that?

Is there anyway to identify if the bottle is 2019?

Master
    Interesting. Why is that?

Is there anyway to identify if the bottle is 2019?
    There should be a printed batch date in black near the bottom at the back - you may need to hold the bottle up to light for it to be more obvious.

The distillery was closed from 1996 to 2002... and legally the every drop of the whisky cannot be younger than the stated age. The distillery re-opened in May 2002, which is 17 1/2 years ago so the liquid must be from 1996 or earlier. And of course the average price of a 24yo whisky is more like £250 so you've just scooped up a massive bargain.

Last edited by DamianM; 19th November 2019 at 16:53.

There should be a printed batch date in black near the bottom at the back - you may need to hold the bottle up to light for it to be more obvious.

The distillery was closed from 1996 to 2002... and legally the every drop of the whisky cannot be younger than the stated age. The distillery re-opened in May 2002, which is 17 1/2 years ago so the liquid must be from 1996 or earlier. And of course the average price of a 24yo whisky is more like £250 so you've just scooped up a massive bargain.
    Well there you go. I couldn't see it for looking! 25/06/2019.

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to guess that it had something to do with the mothballing of the distillery for a six year period in 1995, might be wrong though and would also be interested to hear how you identify the bottle as I've the 18 as well.

Edit - just read IanBear's response!

Master
    Well there you go. I couldn't see it for looking! 25/06/2019.

Thanks for the info.
    The 2019 vatting is exceptional. Rachel Barrie has done wonders with it.

PS I do loads of whisky stuff on Instagram - @poshscotch for a shameless plug. And if anyone else is interested we have a few watch and whisky people at the London Whisky Club - if anyone wants details PM me.

I'll have to wait until I check my bottle however, if mine is a 2019, it may go some way to explain why what's inside it is much darker than Glenfarclas' 18, another 100% sherry cask maturation.

Edit - I meant the 21 Glenfarclas, not 18.
    Last edited by CardShark; 19th November 2019 at 17:22.

The 2019 vatting is exceptional. Rachel Barrie has done wonders with it.

PS I do loads of whisky stuff on Instagram - @poshscotch for a shameless plug. And if anyone else is interested we have a few watch and whisky people at the London Whisky Club - if anyone wants details PM me.
    Gonna have to buy another now. Drink one, save one. You never know?

Just started to follow you on IG, but it's not something I use very often.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I'll have to wait until I check my bottle however, if mine is a 2019, it may go some way to explain why what's inside it is much darker than Glenfarclas' 18, another 100% sherry cask maturation.

Edit - I meant the 21 Glenfarclas, not 18.
    Glendronach only use 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks. Glenfarclas have a different house style and will use some 3 or 4 times. They may also be buying less active casks that had sherry in for less time or lighter sherries. All kinds of reasons!

Whiskey

Ready for a few pals who are coming round .... Suspect there won’t be much of the Glendronach left later ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Ready for a few pals who are coming round .... Suspect there won’t be much of the Glendronach left later ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's by far the best of those althoug none are bad!

Glendronach only use 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks. Glenfarclas have a different house style and will use some 3 or 4 times. They may also be buying less active casks that had sherry in for less time or lighter sherries. All kinds of reasons!
    Thanks for that, I'm not sure why however I was of the understanding that Glenfarclas was only 1st and 2nd fill.

I've checked the bottling date of my Glendronach and it's the same date as the bottle above - 25/06/19! Just need to decide on getting another...