closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show me your ABC watches

Show me your ABC watches

After an enquiry about a watch I was wearing in the Friday watch thread I thought I'd go into a little more detail about my Suunto Observer and see if anyone else has a love for ABC (Altimeter, Barometer, Compass) watches on this forum.
    I've had this particular watch for about 8 years and it was my daily beater for a good while, being the Titanium version it wears lighter than it looks but is still solidly built.

The display is very legible with the time and date displayed in the centre and the seconds lighting up around the edge. There is also another display in the top left quadrant to tell you if the air pressure is rising or falling over the last hour to indicate possible weather events. As mentioned it's a wearable watch and I wore it a lot when mountain biking and hiking in the lakes, it's surprisingly accurate once calibrated.
    So anyone else have an interesting ABC watch they want to share?

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say I have a particular love for 'ABC' watches but my G-Shock has those features. I must admit I have used the compass before and found it very helpful whilst on hikes.

GWG-2000

Nice, I didn't realise G-Shock's had that functionality.

My trusty well-worn Vector is a veteran of many travels since I bought it in Singapore in 1999, initially for mountain trekking in Nepal. It is still going strong and has become something of a Suunto classic so I'm very attached to it.

It has headed off the beaten track many times, on duty here in Bolivia, Bhutan and Sudan.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I also have an original T-Touch as an alternative with similar features, which does the nifty trick with the hands in compass mode. Tissot call the Barometer function 'METEO' so maybe it doesn't qualify as an ABC watch.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Love those pictures, there is something of a bond that forms with these watches as they are the gateway to adventure.

Master
    I have this one, which has those features though I admit, I don't use any of them. Use it for regular timekeeping duties and occasionally for GPS track recording while cycling.

Craftsman
    My usual goto when we go camping....storm alert has been handy on more than one occasion.

And the occasional compass bearing when out on a ramble.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brought this one back to life recently. Been in my draw for years as the batteries died. Opened it up to see it takes 4 batteries.
    Legibility is great and like the dual duplex LCD.

I've been looking for a watch with ABC and sun rise/set, tide graph thermometer. Only one I found is the protrek B70.

Can't help think though that the likes of Garmin watches and alike which have everything you can think of puts me off laying too much money on one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Can't help think though that the likes of Garmin watches and alike which have everything you can think of puts me off laying too much money on one of these.
    My understanding was, and correct me if I'm wrong, that gps watches can't accurately tell elevation - anything that goes off barometric pressure will be much more accurate.

They're less accurate for altitude than horizontal position but fine for most purposes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevet1 View Post
    My understanding was, and correct me if I'm wrong, that gps watches can't accurately tell elevation - anything that goes off barometric pressure will be much more accurate.
    Yes I was surprised to learn this recently. Went a walk with my mum the other day and we both have Huawei gt2 watches. When we compared stats at the end of the walk the 2 watches were well out on elevation.

Most of these trackers all have barometer sensors though so not sure if you can swap to that for elevation instead of GPS.