closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 4000 arrival

Blog Entries

Cool 4000 arrival

I have given in and now have a Sea Dweller 4000 (Basel 2014) version. So now have three divers from Rolex. I'll try and do an in-depth comparison with my 16660 by in the meantime here are some comparison pictures:

SDc4000 vs SubNDc

and here

SDc4000 vz SD16660

camera kit

Nikon D700 FX
    105mm micro-Nikkor lens
    Speedlight SB-800 shot off-body
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th February 2015 at 23:38.

Master
    Beautiful divers, just stunning. I wouldn't have so much overlap but I am certainly very happy to drool over your pics!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The 16660 is winning for me, but wow. What a set of loveliness!!!

Great collection mate!

I've had the 114060, 116610 and 116600 all go through my watch box but as yet I haven't gone old school with the 16600 to me I prefer the newer look but think we all need a classic in our collection.

Got cold feet on grail so I'm limbo at the moment, you may have given me an idea..

Classic! Great pics by the way.

They all look great to me. A very nice
    trio!
    It's just a matter of time...

Great pics! Shows off how different the subC and the SD4k actually are,suprised me.

Great pics. Can't wait for your in depth comparison :-D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Beautiful divers, just stunning. I wouldn't have so much overlap but I am certainly very happy to drool over your pics!
    I guess the upside is the wife wouldn't notice the difference. "No dear, that's just the same black Rolex I've had for years!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have given in and now have a Sea Dweller 4000 (Basel 2014) version. So now have three divers from Rolex. I'll try and do an in-depth comparison with my 16660 by in the meantime here are some comparison pictures:

SDc4000 vs SubNDc

and here

SDc4000 vz SD16660

camera kit

Nikon D700 FX
    105mm micro-Nikkor lens
    Speedlight SB-800 shot off-body
    Loving the triple six absolute classic watch

A nice addition to your Rolex divers collection

I do like the new bezel on the 4000 :)

Grand Master
    Martin

I ran this one a few years back so would be great to see another good comparison piece, thanks for taking the time

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=comparison
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Martin

I ran this one a few years back so would be great to see another good comparison piece, thanks for taking the time

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=comparison
    Read that with interest. I'll throw my omega 300m (modern edition) into the mix as well in ant comparison.

Thanks for for the comments so far.

i am wondering if one needs to go - which one to throw out of the basket??
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th February 2015 at 08:43.

Impressive collection of divers Martyn. SD4000 seems like a perfect sports watch Rolex ever made in last couple of years. I didn't had the chance to try it in person, but it looks like it's a tad smaller than the Sub

Master
    Great photo of your new SD 4000 next to the non date submariner, really shows how similar they are aesthetically. I really like the SD4000 and am contemplating buying one at some point but I do prefer the bezel with less markings on it as your non date sub. Lovely watches OP lucky man, you must struggle to know which one to wear at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    it looks like it's a tad smaller than the Sub[/COLOR]
    That was my impression when I tried SubC, Sdc and Deepsea; the SDc seemed very much the smallest of the group whereas I'd expected it to sit between the Sub and DSSD and be perfect, Goldilocks-style.

I have now ended up with the Subc (LV) when I made the choice out of the three of them. Hoped the SDc would be the magic bullet, it wasn't. I LOVE the engineering involved in the DSSD but it's so nice having the sleek profile day to day of the Subc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the watch is great but those end links..

Master
    Do the end links on the SD protrude past the lugs opposed to the Sub which are a little short? Very interesting, who thinks these things up. Good or bad I can't decide. I did try a SD on the other day, I did like but wouldn't have both.

OP do you wear them all, they all look pristine, I have a SubC which I wear everyday and it certainly doesn't look new like yours.

Blog Entries
    Wearing mine today

Grand Master
    I think the end links are fine in the flesh it follows a stepped line to the lines of the bracelet, besides theres always a RubberB or NATO!!!
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    That was my impression when I tried SubC, Sdc and Deepsea; the SDc seemed very much the smallest of the group whereas I'd expected it to sit between the Sub and DSSD and be perfect, Goldilocks-style.

I have now ended up with the Subc (LV) when I made the choice out of the three of them. Hoped the SDc would be the magic bullet, it wasn't. I LOVE the engineering involved in the DSSD but it's so nice having the sleek profile day to day of the Subc.
    Too many abbreviations for me, more research required....is the Sdc the SD 4000 and is the Subc LV the hulk? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    ...is the Sdc the SD 4000 and is the Subc LV the hulk? TIA
    Yes, that's correct. Although I use LVc instead of Subc LV. (o;

I have the 16600 (my first Rolex) and added an LVc last year. I'm currently in limbo deciding whether to flip the LVc for the SDc - as above, I do like the sleek lines of the Sub - my worry is that the SDc will be just a tad heavy / bulky (compared to LVc or SD) for daily wear.

So, I await your comparison with interest.

P.S. This is another comparison which I found useful (in German).
    http://www.luxify.de/rolex-sea-dwell...00-16600-1665/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I think the end links are fine in the flesh it follows a stepped line to the lines of the bracelet, besides theres always a RubberB or NATO!!!

Valid points i suppose but why would you commit to something with a bracelet only the have to remove it to make it look good?

It strikes me as Rolex just being lazy, it can't be difficult for them to have matched the profiles whatever the reason its presented this way. Of course it will sell and does, just like the DSSD because its a Rolex, and despite the unbalanced tapering bracelet on that model.

Both are great products but both are compromised by a detail that's so easily remedied at source

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Do the end links on the SD protrude past the lugs opposed to the Sub which are a little short? Very interesting, who thinks these things up. Good or bad I can't decide. I did try a SD on the other day, I did like but wouldn't have both.

OP do you wear them all, they all look pristine, I have a SubC which I wear everyday and it certainly doesn't look new like yours.
    The SDc just arrived yesterday so not much chance of wearing it. The other two - yes I wear them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post

The SDc just arrived yesterday so not much chance of wearing it. The other two - yes I wear them.

I put the better feel on the wrist with the SDc down to the protruding lugs, visually yes they are not as flowing as the Sub design but it's a mute point on the wrist!

A great looking trio. Congratualtions on them all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I put the better feel on the wrist with the SDc down to the protruding lugs, visually yes they are not as flowing as the Sub design but it's a mute point on the wrist!

Isn't it the bracelet that protrudes?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Isn't it the bracelet that protrudes?
    Yeah sorry I meant to say endlinks protruding past the lugs!

Typing in a rush my mistake!

Craftsman
    Having owned a 114060 and now own and wear daily the new sea dweller I much prefer the case shape of the dweller on my normal sized wrists I actually find it sits perfectly and it's very comfortable. Just a fantastic every day wearer.

Craftsman
    Beautiful set! Many congrats.

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi all,

One week in and I might be turned from the vintage side?

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Hi all,

One week in and I might be turned from the vintage side?

M
    Lovely pics. The 116600 seems so expensive on the one hand as it is "just" another luxury diver with a more than needed depth rating. But on the other hand it seems relative value for money as in my eyes it might be the most prefect modern sports watch that money can buy. Certainly a possible long term target for me.

Journeyman
    Subs and sub variants are great. Not sure id have so many of essentaily the same thing.

The old vs new comparison does a good job of showing how 'right' the old dimensions were. Those new chunky lugs dont do it for me.

Craftsman
    I don't get the whole endlink problem, the SDc is extremely comfortable to wear and I think it looks great.

Picking mine up on Tuesday:)

Great pictures, thank you

Great pick up...wouldn't mind one myself. There are many that would disagree but I would say that is the best watch in the Rolex line up currently, excluding the Daytona of course.

16660 for me.
    Besides that, I'm stunned by your gorgeous pics. I tip my hat Sir!

What a fantastic collection.. Enjoy your new watch..

Just picked up a new SDc 4000, very pleased, sits better on the wrist for me than the earlier version, though I owned and loved several including a V serial.
    Thinking it would personally suit my lifestyle better on a rubber B, but I reckon its a keeper.
    Contemplated many others such as 5513,LV etc, but the fit and feel of this one with glidelock etc is enough to tip it.
    Goaty likey.

For those drooling, Mallory's of Bath rang me today to advise me they had one in stock.

Nice piccies and write up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Yes, that's correct. Although I use LVc instead of Subc LV. (o;

I have the 16600 (my first Rolex) and added an LVc last year. I'm currently in limbo deciding whether to flip the LVc for the SDc - as above, I do like the sleek lines of the Sub - my worry is that the SDc will be just a tad heavy / bulky (compared to LVc or SD) for daily wear.

So, I await your comparison with interest.

P.S. This is another comparison which I found useful (in German).
    http://www.luxify.de/rolex-sea-dwell...00-16600-1665/
    Thanks for the explanation, appreciated.
    Can someone please post a few photos of the clasp / glide lock mechanism on the new SD4000, thanks

Craftsman
    Thanks for the explanation, appreciated.
    Can someone please post a few photos of the clasp / glide lock mechanism on the new SD4000, thanks
    It's exactly the same as the submariner clasp, except you get a dive extension although I have removed that from the bracelet as I find it uncomfortable.

Master
    Ok thanks, someone posted up somewhere that it was the same as the DSSD, which has a very fancy mechanism doesn't it.

Craftsman
    Ok thanks, someone posted up somewhere that it was the same as the DSSD, which has a very fancy mechanism doesn't it.
    Yeah the DSSD has a better clasp. I spoke with guy from Rolex and asked if the SDc would get the same clasp but he said it wouldn't in order to differentiate the product line of Sub, SDc & DSSD.