closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 36 of 354 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Does anyone remember boiling their chain in a grease pan?

I used to do it on a weekly basis then hang the chain above the pan to allow the excess (well, some of it) to run off.

Nasty black stuff that got everywhere!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I used to do it on a weekly basis then hang the chain above the pan to allow the excess (well, some of it) to run off.

No way I’m admitting to being that old! But I’ve heard of the practice.......

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    A bog standard hypoid 80w90 gear oil applied with an old toothbrush is about as good a chain lube as you can get. A lot of manufacturers specify it, Honda, Takasago, Regina etc.

Also don't lube your chain with the engine running and the bike in gear. Sprockets are unstoppable finger eating machines.
    Hmmmm... I now have 2 litres of said oil in my Amazon shopping basket, together with a little bottle that has a synthetic brush as a cap. I’m thinking I could just brush it on with release of the oil completely controllable.

Now I can’t make up my mind whether to go for that or the WD40 wax... decisions, decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I just use an old tooth brush and an old hand soap bottle, the type with a pump. One or two toothbrushes full is enough to do a chain.
    Okay, given my previous experience I’m going to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Okay, given my previous experience I’m going to go for it.
    I wouldn’t buy 2 litres Tony, just pick up a 500ml bottle of gear oil (the cheapest you can find, you don’t need a multi grade). I doubt you’ll ever need to buy another bottle!

More bike related stuff

Ooops
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th March 2019 at 09:51.

More bike related stuff

Yeah, I amended the order (to a single litre bottle). It did seem a bit excessive.

I did buy the little bottle with a brush dispenser as I reckon that could be a genius solution with regard to application!

my chain gets done/ checked once a week or every few hundred miles with a full degrease roughly every 6 weeks (i just use paraffin or diesel in a spray bottle) - the abba stand makes it quick and easy.

ok wheres the pics /video of the ride out? :)

managed to get out for a hr myself yesterday , baffles removed again , quick sound check...

https://upload.cat/b9fea1269fb804dc
    Last edited by pugster; 25th March 2019 at 10:05.

Master

Yep...and then hanging it from the washing line..👍

Master
    Oh, I certainly fell, Dave. Luckily the bike just sustained a slight graze to the bottom of the engine casing (for the most part it landed on me, not the road). Nothing serious, and only £86 for a replacement casing when it next goes in for a service.
    Tony... if someone were to stall their bike at a junction, and it toppled over snapping the brake lever, surely this would be a self inflicted accident.

Would the bike be recovered by breakdown service FOC?? If so I’d say you have a good claim for your incident👍

Master
    One other thought on the chain and sprocket affair, Tony, you used the RAC but don’t Triumph provide breakdown cover with the warranty? If so they might be more sympathetic to bike related breakdowns.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Yep, been there, done that.
    Did mine monthly or thereabouts
    Split link to break the chain, paraffin primus stove in the yard to cook it on.
    Even in those (dark) days, everyone had their own ideas as to which was the best stuff to boil with, or the best lube.
    I used a 50/50% red diesel/rotella mix for the cooking, as we had loads on the farm, didn't have to pay for it. Good fun when it caught fire..lol
    After boiling, dip it in tractor gearbox oil, leave to drain off overnight....job done.
    Lost count of the times I got my fingers burnt....
    Last edited by Tifa; 25th March 2019 at 11:49.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    One other thought on the chain and sprocket affair, Tony, you used the RAC but don’t Triumph provide breakdown cover with the warranty? If so they might be more sympathetic to bike related breakdowns.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, I tried that. It’s actually operated by the RAC and I was told that the issue was the same on that policy too.

I was given the choice on which policy to put it through, and on reflection I might have had more comeback with Triumph. Still, what’s done is done.

Master
    Had a blast on one of these tonight

https://www.ktm.com/en/naked/390-duke/

Amazing fun a friend has just picked on up as a bit of an impulse buy after a test ride just to see. Wow I can see one appearing in the garage, fast enough through the twisties to really enjoy it yet not powerful enough to endanger my license too much I'm 6ft1 and close to 15st yet it was comfortable and still quick.

If anyone wants to see a bit of footage from the ride out, the video is here (but note that we all got split up pretty much from the off, so there's no 16-bike convoy - sorry).

Master
    Fitted a Scotoiler and I've never looked back.

If anyone wants to see a bit of footage from the ride out, the video is here (but note that we all got split up pretty much from the off, so there's no 16-bike convoy - sorry).
    Just watched some highlights Tony - was that Waddenham you stopped at for muffins?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Fitted a Scotoiler and I've never looked back.
    Got shaft drive, cured all these woes for me. No adjustment or oiling needed, but it isn’t as cheap to replace when it goes wrong ;)

I'm definitely going to try the hypoid 80w90 gear oil approach, and I have a set of these basting brushes coming from Amazon today that will hopefully make application a doddle (and they're cheap)...

I'll let you know how effective they are in due course.

In other matters I've just heard back from the RAC, saying cover for the costs of the relay wasn't provided because the damage was the the result of a RTC, and as such should have been sought through my insurers. I've obviously put them right on that and have told them to pay up or face the matter being referred to the small claims court.

I'll update you as and when!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th March 2019 at 09:42.

Duckhams - a heavy duty round biscuit tin full of chain grease which was solid at room temperature.

Modern x ring chains don't need weekly attention, every 750-100 miles is realistic.

Mount the bike on main stand or paddock stands, clean with kero, paraffin or diesel in a hand spray and soft brush.

Bike chain links are sealed for life, you clean them to remove abrasive grit which damages the links, x rings and reduce wear on the sprockets.

I use a dedicated chain 'spray wax' in the workshop - this adheres to the chain, even an EP80 will fling off under acceleration.
    Last edited by W124; 26th March 2019 at 09:44.

keep those in the kitchen for basting the chicken/turkey :)

you are making an easy job a complicated one

put the bike on the abba stand
    spray some chain cleaner on the chain
    wipe crap off
    spray lube on

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    keep those in the kitchen for basting the chicken/turkey :)

you are making an easy job a complicated one

put the bike on the abba stand
    spray some chain cleaner on the chain
    wipe crap off
    spray lube on
    Now, that's interesting because I may have identified the problem I was having.

I was soaking the chain in chain cleaner, and then using a chain brush that I was dipping in a bucket of water throughout the cleaning process. Was the use of water a mistake?

Now, that's interesting because I may have identified the problem I was having.

I was soaking the chain in chain cleaner, and then using a chain brush that I was dipping in a bucket of water throughout the cleaning process. Was the use of water a mistake?
    lol if you are being serious it might explain the rusty chain :P
    personally i dont bother with expensive chain cleaner , i just use diesel or parrafin in an old spray bottle - the only time water gets on my chain is if im out and it rains (whichis rare these days ).

* you would be degreasing the chain (removing its protection ) and pushing water into it

lol if you are being serious it might explain the rusty chain :P
    personally i dont bother with expensive chain cleaner , i just use diesel or parrafin in an old spray bottle - the only time water gets on my chain is if im out and it rains (whichis rare these days ).

* you would be degreasing the chain (removing its protection ) and pushing water into it
    Damn - live and learn, right?

Master

Was the use of water a mistake?
    YES!

Clean with oil (Paraffin/diesel)
    Lube with oil.
    Ride.

Okay, an update:

Thank you for your e-mail. The terms and conditions of your membership state that any accidental damage, road traffic collisions or vandalised incidents aren't covered under your breakdown entitlements. These are classed as insurable incidents.

Unfortunately, we can't agree to any refund on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    YES!

Clean with oil (Paraffin/diesel)
    Lube with oil.
    Ride.
    just noticed you are in shropshire , i usually go to the cafe at quatt a few times a week for breakfast when we have good weather.

Master
    just noticed you are in shropshire , i usually go to the cafe at quatt a few times a week for breakfast when we have good weather.
    I was there yesterday👍👍

Well, that's interesting... I just checked the benefits I get with my NatWest account, and it has full breakdown assistance included. In fact, it specifically INCLUDES recovery following accidents, vandalism, accidental damage etc.

I think I feel even more stupid now, as I had no idea that I had this cover.

Well, that's interesting... I just checked the benefits I get with my NatWest account, and it has full breakdown assistance included. In fact, it specifically INCLUDES recovery following accidents, vandalism, accidental damage etc.

I think I feel even more stupid now, as I had no idea that I had this cover.
    you are not supposed to admit it though , i thought standard practice in here was to just make out the money it cost you was just spare change you found in your coat pocket :)

you are not supposed to admit it though , i thought standard practice in here was to just make out the money it cost you was just spare change you found in your coat pocket :)
    I wish. My little faux-pas cost me over £500, which I could have done without. (Obviously I'm ignoring the additional voluntary spend on the Yoshi as that doesn't count )

I wish. My little faux-pas cost me over £500, which I could have done without. (Obviously I'm ignoring the additional voluntary spend on the Yoshi as that doesn't count )
    im sure the yoshi sound makes up for it :) , did the dealer load the arrow tune when they fitted it? (im not sure if theres one yet for the 765 ) - the arrow tune improves things even with the standard cans - if they didnt mention it i'd go back and ask as they should do it for free for what the yoshi costs .

im sure the yoshi sound makes up for it :) , did the dealer load the arrow tune when they fitted it? (im not sure if theres one yet for the 765 ) - the arrow tune improves things even with the standard cans - if they didnt mention it i'd go back and ask as they should do it for free for what the yoshi costs .
    No, but they told me (as I've been advised before) the bike has an "adaptive ECU" so it doesn't need a map... just needs to run through some cycle or other following fitting and job done. Anyway, it's running beautifully with no adverse signs whatsoever. In fact, for some reason blipping the throttle on downshift seems much smoother and more forgiving (I'm wondering if the new/louder engine sound just makes it a little easier to get the timing spot on).

No, but they told me (as I've been advised before) the bike has an "adaptive ECU" so it doesn't need a map... just needs to run through some cycle or other following fitting and job done. Anyway, it's running beautifully with no adverse signs whatsoever. In fact, for some reason blipping the throttle on downshift seems much smoother and more forgiving (I'm wondering if the new/louder engine sound just makes it a little easier to get the timing spot on).
    afaik all speeds /streets have adaptive tuning (mine does and its an 11 plate ) - if you look it up its called the 12 min tune , an ecu reflash map is a different thing altogether from the adaptive tuning .
    if you are happy with the bike and its running ok thats the main thing.

https://www.triumphrat.net/the-rocke...nute-tune.html ( 12 min tune -adaptive tuning )

The 12 minute tune is good for standard running, but for far more creative ways of destroying your bike, there’s the Triumph forums (plural - it’s everywhere!) favourite - TuneECU. There are loads of different maps, of variable quality I suspect, which can be downloaded onto your bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I've read lots about TuneECU. Way outside my comfort zone so I'll be leaving well alone!

I’ve downloaded it and bought a cable for an old laptop I keep in the garage.

It’s useful for diagnosis, ftc reading and resets etc. Like you, I wouldn’t want to start messing around with fuel maps - I might get lucky and do a better job than the highly qualified and highly paid engineers who created the original map, but I’m far more likely to need to open my wallet, quite widely indeed, very quickly afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ive remapped my own bike using tune ecu a few times now with different maps , after (i think) 2014 triumph ecu are locked and its need to be done by a dealer , tony ive just spoken to someone at my local triumph dealer as i was there to pick up some oil - there is an arrow map for the 765 and my dealer always recommends that its loaded with a new (non standard) can - again this is up to you if your bike is running fine. (tbh i'd be pissed off on principle that they tried to fob you off with adaptive tuning after you spent 500 on the yoshi )

*after the above i'd want to be there watching them load the new map on as well , otherwise theres a chance they will wheel it in sit down make a cup of tea and wheel it back out saying its done :P
    Last edited by pugster; 27th March 2019 at 10:47.

ive remapped my own bike using tune ecu a few times now with different maps , after (i think) 2014 triumph ecu are locked and its need to be done by a dealer , tony ive just spoken to someone at my local triumph dealer as i was there to pick up some oil - there is an arrow map for the 765 and my dealer always recommends that its loaded with a new (non standard) can - again this is up to you if your bike is running fine. (tbh i'd be pissed off on principle that they tried to fob you off with adaptive tuning after you spent 500 on the yoshi )

*after the above i'd want to be there watching them load the new map on as well , otherwise theres a chance they will wheel it in sit down make a cup of tea and wheel it back out saying its done :P
    Hmmm... I may well have a word with them, but both my local dealers told me they don’t remap for a yoshi, and the Yoshi website says that a remap isn’t required. I don’t see any fault with regard to the dealer, tbh.

Master
    Well I bought myself a little KTM 390 Duke, I haven’t smiled so much on the commute to work in years. Yes it needs to be worked to get the best out of it but through the twistie roads it’s so much fun, I’ll get photos up accordingly but it’s pretty much standard aside from a Leo Vince can and decat

More bike related stuff

This and the other post mentioning the 390 Duke, reminded me of the fun I used to have on my Yamaha WR400 in super Moto trim.

Great fun at relatively low speeds; we should all be riding them really.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 27th March 2019 at 14:27.

Hmmm... I may well have a word with them, but both my local dealers told me they don’t remap for a yoshi, and the Yoshi website says that a remap isn’t required. I don’t see any fault with regard to the dealer, tbh.
    I may be being a little too trusting, but I always assume that for minor changes such as for filters and pipes, the ecu will adjust fuelling/timing as required.

That said, I have a receipt for a recap of my Rocket when different filters were fitted. It’s older than yours though, so that may be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not that a remap is required (the bike will run with just the downpipes and no backend) , its about optimising what you have bought (a performance exhaust) by adding a fuel map to match it.

Master
    This and the other post mentioning the 390 Duke, reminded me of the fun I used to have on my Yamaha WR400 in super Moto trim.

Great fun at relatively low speeds; we should all be hiding them really.
    I can’t stop smiling riding it, obviously it’s not great on the motorway but it’ll happily cruise at 75, through town filtering is a joy because it’s so nimble however country lanes wow just wow.
    With man maths I’ve worked out the fuel saving on my commute and any parking charges makes it a free bike inside a year and the smiles are an added bonus.

its not that a remap is required (the bike will run with just the downpipes and no backend) , its about optimising what you have bought (a performance exhaust) by adding a fuel map to match it.
    I'm planning to pop into Herts Triumph tomorrow, so I'll take it up with them then.

Master
    Got this today..... first ever Ducati I’ve ridden. Loved it

The ECU on most modern bikes should compensate after about 100 miles so long as it has sensors. Not sure if the triumph does but my GSA does and I had it mapped last time but not this time. Not worth the time to get to Leicester and back let alone the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Cool bike Enoch, enjoy

Get ready to ride like you don't mind coming off. Never seen someone ride one of these calmly. Always at the red line and going for gaps I'd be too scared to!

Very nice indeed!