closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko leak

Grand Seiko leak

These pics have been doing the rounds on Watchuseek. If the diver is 40mm, I suspect it will be popular.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

IMG_0402.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Interesting if true. The middle one is a variant of the SBGC247 so seems entirely plausible.

The GMT looks like a SBGE253 with a different dial and case.

The diver looks similar to the SBGA461 (Spring Drive)…

…or SBGH289 (Hi Beat)

But it has the power reserve pinion in the wrong place (7 o’clock for 3 o’clock crowns, 8 o’clock for 4 o’clock crowns) so is debatable. From the poor quality of the pic, it could easily be one of these with the PR pasted on. Both models are recent releases, so it might be unusual for GS to release a very similar one with the PR moved, which would likely need a new movement. We shall see!

Saw these elsewhere. Looks like the diver has a textured dial. Hard to tell, looks like black waves on a calm sea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I like the look of the one on the left.

Craftsman
    Do we know when this potential 40mm diver is due for release?

Master
    If that chrono GMT (middle one) is 40-41mm and bezel rotates.. might have to get it!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Interesting if true. The middle one is a variant of the SBGC247 so seems entirely plausible.

The GMT looks like a SBGE253 with a different dial and case.

The diver looks similar to the SBGA461 (Spring Drive)…

…or SBGH289 (Hi Beat)

But it has the power reserve pinion in the wrong place (7 o’clock for 3 o’clock crowns, 8 o’clock for 4 o’clock crowns) so is debatable. From the poor quality of the pic, it could easily be one of these with the PR pasted on. Both models are recent releases, so it might be unusual for GS to release a very similar one with the PR moved, which would likely need a new movement. We shall see!
    It's using the 9RA5 with the 5 day power reserve which is in the SLGA001 diver if the picture that was posted on watchyouseek is real. Case used does look similar to the 2 shown above though.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy#1 View Post
    It's using the 9RA5 with the 5 day power reserve which is in the SLGA001 diver if the picture that was posted on watchyouseek is real. Case used does look similar to the 2 shown above though.

Thanks, yes that movement would work. The cases on the ones I showed are around 44mm though. The SLGA001 is closer to 47mm…

Could be just the 9RA5 rotated 30 degrees and put into a SBGA461 / 463 case.
    Guess time will tell.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I like the look of the one on the left.
    Same - looks like it might be a size that actually fits my wrist!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    looks like black waves on a calm sea to me.

That’s not how this works - you need to say which Sea. Preferably one which can be seen from the windows of the Shizukuishi design studio..

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    That’s not how this works - you need to say which Sea. Preferably one which can be seen from the windows of the Shizukuishi design studio..
    😂 you are right, however need better pictures for that 😉.

Depends how thick they are. Mechanical GS tend to be very tall.

Craftsman
    Now would be a good time to overhaul their sub-standard bracelets. Charging £5000+ for a timepiece that share 90% of the bracelet engineering with their £1000 range doesn't really cut it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    Now would be a good time to overhaul their sub-standard bracelets. Charging £5000+ for a timepiece that share 90% of the bracelet engineering with their £1000 range doesn't really cut it these days.
    It's the one thing stopping me buying one, and I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    It's the one thing stopping me buying one, and I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same way.
    +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    I agree. I have also personally delivered this feedback to Akio Naito (President of Seiko) when I recently had drinks and dinner with him and a bunch of other watch guys. The bracelet really is the one major area that is falling short for Grand Seiko.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I have also personally delivered this feedback to Akio Naito (President of Seiko) when I recently had drinks and dinner with him and a bunch of other watch guys.
    !

Master
    Tried on various GS diver at the knightsbridge boutique last week again. There is something missing that is hard to pinpoint, perhaps it is the sub standard bracelet though I feel it is more than just that. Overall feels big and a bit empty.

GS bracelets are as excellent as their cases execution. It is the divers clasps that fall behind. Just that.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Tried on various GS diver at the knightsbridge boutique last week again. There is something missing that is hard to pinpoint, perhaps it is the sub standard bracelet though I feel it is more than just that. Overall feels big and a bit empty.
    Was that the SD versions?

I picked up the latest HiBeat Diver a few months ago, after not getting on with the SD versions (tried steel and Ti), and for some reason it is a whole lot better, despite the specs on paper are less than 1mm different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Was that the SD versions?

I picked up the latest HiBeat Diver a few months ago, after not getting on with the SD versions (tried steel and Ti), and for some reason it is a whole lot better, despite the specs on paper are less than 1mm different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Probably I tried on the titanium spring drive though but don’t fully recall as they look quite similar. Think it’s the same reason I never got on with the titanium snowflake, looks great but not enough weight so then I cannot connect spending that much money on it, I know that sounds quite superficial!

How exactly is this hand finished bracelet inferior to an Oyster?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    How exactly is this hand finished bracelet inferior to an Oyster?

The finishing is spectacular but.... some of the clasps can be cumbersome, lack of micro adjust and most importantly for me, they use a generic bracelet for pretty much every watch which means the end lugs don't integrate with the look of the watch.

The one you posted has rounded bevels jutting out further than the squared off watch lug. Even worse are when they us curved end link (and curved link bracelets in general) for there angular sports models like this SBGN021. £4k for a quartz is tough to justify but I could if the bracelet complimented the case but this just looks a bit naf at that money. The same issue puts me off some Sinn's at less than half the price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    The one you posted has rounded bevels jutting out further than the squared off watch lug. Even worse are when they us curved end link (and curved link bracelets in general) for there angular sports models like this SBGN021.
    I'm something of a GS fan but even I have to admit that you have a point. I would not have noticed the issue you refer to until you pointed them out; now I can't not see them.

That said, I'm not put off due to these issues although I do understand why you and others might well be put off. For me, the overall package is aesthetically and technically pleasing enough as it stands.

Nevertheless, with GS going up in price on many models, I think that small aesthetic considerations such as these must matter more and more. Designing and making matching end links really shouldn't be beyond Seiko's ability to justify higher prices and broaden appeal.

Serves you right for wearing it in the sauna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Seiko leak

The finishing is spectacular but.... some of the clasps can be cumbersome, lack of micro adjust and most importantly for me, they use a generic bracelet for pretty much every watch which means the end lugs don't integrate with the look of the watch.

The one you posted has rounded bevels jutting out further than the squared off watch lug. Even worse are when they us curved end link (and curved link bracelets in general) for there angular sports models like this SBGN021. £4k for a quartz is tough to justify but I could if the bracelet complimented the case but this just looks a bit naf at that money. The same issue puts me off some Sinn's at less than half the price.

There are a few Rolex that could have the same criticism levelled.

Have you seen the end link fitment on the much lauded Seadweller 116600? The bracelet looks like it’s from a different watch.

Or even on some of the precious metal Daytonas.

Speaking of generic bracelets, how many different bracelets other than the oyster and jubilee does Rolex have for its watches?

I’m not saying Rolex don’t get it right when they do (and they more often than not do), It just seems that we don’t hear the same level of criticism when some other brands exhibit the same laziness Grand Seiko bracelets are accused of.

Maybe it’s the finishing of the cases, dials and hands that brings the bracelets in to sharper focus for improvement.

Having said all that I agree, micro adjustment and maybe an improvement in clasp design would be a game changer and then there would be very little else left to objectively criticise.
    Last edited by namzo; 2nd March 2022 at 23:01.

Most GS cases have been designed to accommodate strap use as well.

Try fit a leather strap or a non rubber B on a modern Rolex!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    There are a few Rolex that could have the same criticism levelled.

Have you seen the end link fitment on the much lauded Seadweller 116600? The bracelet looks like it’s from a different watch.
    Or even on some of the precious metal Daytonas.

Speaking of generic bracelets, how many different bracelets other than the oyster and jubilee does Rolex have for its watches?

I’m not saying Rolex don’t get it right when they do (and they more often than not do), It just seems that we don’t hear the same level of criticism when some other brands exhibit the same laziness Grand Seiko bracelets are accused of.

Maybe it’s the finishing of the cases, dials and hands that brings the bracelets in to sharper focus for improvement.

Having said all that I agree, micro adjustment and maybe an improvement in clasp design would be a game changer and then there would be very little else left to objectively criticise.
    I wasn't comparing GS to Rolex but since it's been asked:
    The DSSD does look a bit lazy, and not much different to the first example I used, but still far better than the sports model. Same with the Daytona although both would get away with it more easily because everything is curved, so slightly more seamless.

Rolex don't need many designs because all (or most... have they got anything like the Oysterquartz in production?) their cases are similar. GS have a much bigger variety of cases & lug designs which would necessitate different bracelet designs.

Many brands are criticised for their bracelets, it's one thing that seems to get raised almost universally (Omega had the same criticisms for a long time). That said, GS are still trying to establish themselves so they need to try harder than Rolex. The stronger the brand, the less you need to do to impress.

The higher & more varied finishing certainly bring my points into focus against others, probably not so much on the clasps etc.
    On the first example, even just having the end link a few mm shorter so the curve is behind the lug would do it for me as it'd be hidden. But as it is, it wouldn't put me off to be fair, I've only been looking at the squarer cased models.

Most GS cases have been designed to accommodate strap use as well.

Try fit a leather strap or a non rubber B on a modern Rolex!
    I don't own one so I've not tried but there's no reason you can't do both, but this discussion had been about bracelets.

Perhaps one way of looking at GS bracelets is to say that if the bracelets were better, GS prices may be far closer to Rolex etc. Despite the bracelets GS are often described as "bargains" when compared to other brands like Rolex.

On that basis and given the exponential price rises of some brands, I'm happy with GS where they are.

And their new releases are certainly a lot more exciting than most brands.

I wasn't comparing GS to Rolex but since it's been asked:
    The DSSD does look a bit lazy, and not much different to the first example I used, but still far better than the sports model. Same with the Daytona although both would get away with it more easily because everything is curved, so slightly more seamless.

Rolex don't need many designs because all (or most... have they got anything like the Oysterquartz in production?) their cases are similar. GS have a much bigger variety of cases & lug designs which would necessitate different bracelet designs.

Many brands are criticised for their bracelets, it's one thing that seems to get raised almost universally (Omega had the same criticisms for a long time). That said, GS are still trying to establish themselves so they need to try harder than Rolex. The stronger the brand, the less you need to do to impress.

The higher & more varied finishing certainly bring my points into focus against others, probably not so much on the clasps etc.
    On the first example, even just having the end link a few mm shorter so the curve is behind the lug would do it for me as it'd be hidden. But as it is, it wouldn't put me off to be fair, I've only been looking at the squarer cased models.

I don't own one so I've not tried but there's no reason you can't do both, but this discussion had been about bracelets.
    Rolex lugs are so machined comparing to the multi bevelling on most GS models. Same for the bracelet links.

GS divers also come with proper spring bars. The ones on the new Submariner are like 1mm thin!

Rolex lugs are so machined comparing to the multi bevelling on most GS models. Same for the bracelet links.

GS divers also come with proper spring bars. The ones on the new Submariner are like 1mm thin!
    I can assure that GS cases and lugs are also machined with finishing done by hand. I have been to the factory in Japan (Seiko Epson Shinshu watch studio, home of Spring Drive, quartz and micro artist studio).

So the new SD diver SLGA015 is part of the Evolution 9 series with a case size of Diameter 43.8mm Lug-to-lug 51.5mm Thickness 13.8mm.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-e...tions/slga015g

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy#1 View Post
    So the new SD diver SLGA015 is part of the Evolution 9 series with a case size of Diameter 43.8mm Lug-to-lug 51.5mm Thickness 13.8mm.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-e...tions/slga015g
    The case reminds me of the SBGX115 and 117 - I always wear my watches loose so this shape on a large watch probably wouldn't work for me (I sold both my 115 and 117). I prefer the crown at 4 on large/heavy watches.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk