closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I would like to buy a timepiece to mark my 60th year on this planet

I would like to buy a timepiece to mark my 60th year on this planet

Having been a member of this forum for several years.
    I have learnt that there are those members who endorse the "Birth" year timepiece and those who do not. So I fully understand that this thread will not be to everyone's taste. :-)

However from next week I will enter into my 60th year!!!!

And by the time that I hit the actual mile stone - which I understand is the "New" 50, I would like to mark the occasion, by acquiring a timepiece from that 1958.

I have been taking a look at what is on offer and came across these two companies, who are based in the UK. I would grateful if anyone, who has dealt with them, could let me know :-)

http://www.vintagegoldwatches.com

http://thewatchcollector.co.uk/shop/

Both have pieces for sale from 1958.

Of course, I would be very keen to hear about any alternatives, especially any members on the forum who may actually have one and would be interested in selling.

I do have a WTB on the forum. But surprisingly have not received any hits :-)

Thank you for looking

There’s a gorgeous Rolex 6480 from 1958 that has changed hands on the forum a few times in the last year or so- a search and approach to current owner might be in order?

So you are actually turning 59?
    Great idea - get another one when you are 60 - sounds like a plan.

Many happy returns for next week.

Any brands doing a 60th anniversary watch this year? ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Come on....Omega? https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...y-speedmaster/

Apprentice

Speedmaster 60th Anniversary 1957 Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sold out with an ever longer queue of disappointed collectors and you will have to pay overs but it is a lovely piece. The drums are beating that Blowers have one but not had it confirmed.

Good Luck

Master
    I would guess it’s all down to budget isn’t it. Any Omega or Rolex sports or tool watch will be eye wateringly expensive. The other issue is that my -71 Speedmaster was actually delivered in 74 so sometimes it’s actually difficult to pin down a production year.
    Having said that. I’d imagine Rolex manuals wouldn’t be too expensive or military Smiths again not too pricey but I’d go for what was readily available so I’d suggest Gold dress watches. It’s then a case of fill your boots. Longine, Omega, Vacheron, IWC, AP, JLC.
    Have fun on the hunt!
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 4th October 2017 at 20:24.

Master
    Just had a thought why not go on Chrono 24 go through each brand you’d like and filter by your birth year.
    You’ll have hundreds of choices and a wide range of prices

How strict are you about the correct year?

I went through a similar process recently, I spent around 5 months looking for the watch I wanted. I eventually tracked down an Omega Seamaster that has a serial number that is in the range listed in the common tables (http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/wa...mega_dates.htm) for that year. So it was made about the correct year, but as has been mentioned earlier, it could easily be out by a year or two. For me that was good enough, you must make up your own mind if that's good enough.

Like you I started off by looking at the sites that do the work for you, and did find a great watch from the correct year, but didn't buy it for various reasons. Then I set about researching the correct watch for myself. In the end I found a similar watch online and paid about 30% of the price of the first watch I mentioned. I think I was lucky, but doing the research yourself is much more satisfying.

If you want to do the research yourself, some manufacturers put a code on the case back that gives the exact year of manufacture (eg. Bulova), some you can get it from the serial number, some you can't tell. There are many sites giving this information for particular brands.

Good luck.

Grand Master
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    There’s a gorgeous Rolex 6480 from 1958 that has changed hands on the forum a few times in the last year or so- a search and approach to current owner might be in order?
    I knew that there had been one on the forum, but just couldn't remember the model number!
    So thanks for filling in the missing details. I shall do a search for it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    So you are actually turning 59?
    Great idea - get another one when you are 60 - sounds like a plan.

Yes :-) though it gives me a good reason to start looking

Many happy returns for next week.
    Thanks Monty for the link, I will keep an eye on the site and see if they get any "fresh" stock in, as the one's on the site are unfortunately not winning me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Just had a thought why not go on Chrono 24 go through each brand you’d like and filter by your birth year.
    You’ll have hundreds of choices and a wide range of prices
    Thanks Mark, I have tried that one, but it is a good way of checking what is available.
    Like already mentioned, there are quite a few Omega's for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    How strict are you about the correct year?

I went through a similar process recently, I spent around 5 months looking for the watch I wanted. I eventually tracked down an Omega Seamaster that has a serial number that is in the range listed in the common tables (http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/wa...mega_dates.htm) for that year. So it was made about the correct year, but as has been mentioned earlier, it could easily be out by a year or two. For me that was good enough, you must make up your own mind if that's good enough.

Like you I started off by looking at the sites that do the work for you, and did find a great watch from the correct year, but didn't buy it for various reasons. Then I set about researching the correct watch for myself. In the end I found a similar watch online and paid about 30% of the price of the first watch I mentioned. I think I was lucky, but doing the research yourself is much more satisfying.

If you want to do the research yourself, some manufacturers put a code on the case back that gives the exact year of manufacture (eg. Bulova), some you can get it from the serial number, some you can't tell. There are many sites giving this information for particular brands.

Good luck.
    I am going to be quite strict and try and get the correct piece and the year. :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    There is a great article of one of these being restored - does a lovely job.

http://watchguy.co.uk/teardown-servi...-calibre-1210/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    try something from 1957,you'll have the satisfaction that there is something older than you by 1 year.it works,trust me.

I do get the Birth Year appeal, I really do. Not sure why, but I do. So please bear with me a moment.

Would a watch manufactured in the year of your birth serve to mark just that - the year of your birth?

Alternatively, would a watch manufactured in your 60th year better mark just that - your 60th year on this planet.

Don't be an Old Timer.

Master
    I'm a '58 baby too!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I do get the Birth Year appeal, I really do. Not sure why, but I do. So please bear with me a moment.

Would a watch manufactured in the year of your birth serve to mark just that - the year of your birth?

Alternatively, would a watch manufactured in your 60th year better mark just that - your 60th year on this planet.

Don't be an Old Timer.
    Brilliant, agree with this totally.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have bought and sold some older vintage watches and I'd have to say if I was looking to buy a watch to commemorate a certain age it would be a new watch from that year. I think you'd like it better imo.

I would like to buy a timepiece to mark my 60th year on this planet

Birth year watches are lovely to have but you really have to like the watch itself, it's too easy to get hung up on the date and lose perspective about what you really like..

This one is just out about 1960 -

Last edited by murkeywaters; 5th October 2017 at 23:46.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Birth year watches are lovely to have but you really have to like the watch itself, it's too easy to get hung up on the date and lose perspective about what you really like..

This one is just out about 1960 -

I love that classic design, so simple and elegant.

I bought this 1960 JLC from Black Bough recently. I'd been waiting for something slightly different from the norm to show it's face, and I'm glad that I did.

Have a look here too, btw.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I love that classic design, so simple and elegant.
    The Omega was on my bench recently. Current owner got it for a good price, dial had been refinished and the case was in excellent condition without having been overpolished. The movement needed some work to sort out but otherwise the watch was fine. Movement number dates it to mid-late 1960 (assuming numbers were used in sequence) so the watch was probably cased and sold in 1961. Checking the hallmark inside the case will confirm the age of the case........but there's still doubt over when the watch was actually sold!

I didn`t check the hallmark, but it's likely the case number/hallmark/date of sale all give different years.....so which 'birth year' would it satisfy? For me it has to be the selling date and that's the piece of info that's invariably not available. If the watch was steel there wouldn`t be a hallmark to worry about so in the absence of any more info it would be classed as 1960.

9ct gold vintage watches can offer excellent value for money for anyone who wants a gold dress watch as an occasional wearer. There's no modern equivalent, all the gold watches thesedays are prohibitively expensive for most of us.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post

Don't be an Old Timer.
    That is a very valid point and very much worth considering. If I was to decide to do that, than personally, I would buy the watch on my actual birthday. So the papers are dated accordingly :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    I'm a '58 baby too!
    Welcome to the club :-)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I bought this 1960 JLC from Black Bough recently. I'd been waiting for something slightly different from the norm to show it's face, and I'm glad that I did.

Have a look here too, btw.

Ah, so that's where it went :-)
    It's a great looking piece.
    Thanks for the link, Tony
    Spookily enough I did check their website yesterday.
    Have you had any dealings with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    That is a very valid point and very much worth considering. If I was to decide to do that, than personally, I would buy the watch on my actual birthday. So the papers are dated accordingly :-)

Welcome to the club :-)

Ah, so that's where it went :-)
    It's a great looking piece.
    Thanks for the link, Tony
    Spookily enough I did check their website yesterday.
    Have you had any dealings with them?
    Nothing other than an exchange of emails a while back, but the watch I was after had been sold.

I like the very detailed write-ups on the site, though. The author is prone to hyperbole, but there's always some good info about the watches.

^^^^^^^^
    I had noticed. LOL

Grand Master
    This damned birthyear thing's becoming infectious! Despite having rubbished the concept for years I`m conscious of the fact that I'm 60 next January..........and it is a significant birthday even though officially I don`t 'do birthdays'. Hell, I wasn't even thinking about it till this week when this thread started, but the idea of treating myself to a watch is starting to gather momentum. I have a couple of fixer-uppers in the projects drawer that I intended to keep for myself so I might just do that instead...........restore a watch and give it to myself in January! It needn't be a birthyear watch, but I could always associate it with my 60th. I got a 1964 gold Constellation pie-pan to mark my retirement, that's neither a birthyear or a new watch but the concept works for me, I prefer something vintage to buying a new watch just for the sake of it being new.

Oddly enough the concept of a birth-year car appeals, for me it would have to be a 1958 Austin Healey or an MGA. My single garage already contains one old car so I can`t see it happening!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The Omega was on my bench recently. Current owner got it for a good price, dial had been refinished and the case was in excellent condition without having been overpolished. The movement needed some work to sort out but otherwise the watch was fine. Movement number dates it to mid-late 1960 (assuming numbers were used in sequence) so the watch was probably cased and sold in 1961. Checking the hallmark inside the case will confirm the age of the case........but there's still doubt over when the watch was actually sold!

I didn`t check the hallmark, but it's likely the case number/hallmark/date of sale all give different years.....so which 'birth year' would it satisfy? For me it has to be the selling date and that's the piece of info that's invariably not available. If the watch was steel there wouldn`t be a hallmark to worry about so in the absence of any more info it would be classed as 1960.

9ct gold vintage watches can offer excellent value for money for anyone who wants a gold dress watch as an occasional wearer. There's no modern equivalent, all the gold watches thesedays are prohibitively expensive for most of us.

Paul
    I would have killed for that when I was younger, I remember buying several watches of that type in the seventies, of course I could never afford an Omega so had to make do with cheapo look a likes, even going down the route of Sekonda, Timex etc. I always remember my first job, there was a guy there who would service a watch for a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    I'm a '58 baby too!
    Me too!

Having given this matter, too much of my attention!!

The suggestion made by Forpetesake is gathering momentum.

And as I am an inpatient sort of bloke, as long as it is dated with the year 2018 that would do for me

What to have engraved on the back?

Well I thought the year that I was born and the current year, with the words "The Last One" in between.

As none of my family, believe that it would be the last one

I make no apologies for bumping my old thread but I am working a night shift and need to fill some time LOL. It doesn’t seem all that long, from when I created this thread!

But now with less than a month to go, I thought that an update would be in order.
    The decision to buy a new watch to mark this milestone did come to fruition and I even had the back of the Rolex Explorer 1 engraved.
    This was the one, the very last one.........yea right

Well life, as we know, is never that straightforward, recently we lost our Mom, who was an integral part of our family and who kept everything working.
    And shortly after this, it was like a lighting bolt striking home, things became clearer and I made a decision, which to my surprise was very easy to make.

I decided to give my 3 Rolex watches to my daughters, they would of received them anyway, but why wait 10-20 years (hopefully) let them benefit from them now.
    So last week without any warning, I presented them with one each. The look on their faces, when they realised what they had was utterly priceless, which words can’t describe.

However, I still have a watch, that probably marks my 60th birthday very nicely
    The Tudor Black Bay 58.
    Launched to mark the 60th anniversary of their diving watch back in 1958.
    And to top it off my AD dated the warranty card with my birthday day and month.
    What could be more poetic.

Now I am not going to say “ That’s it, I am done” because nobody here would be believe me, lease alone myself LOL
    Besides I keeping getting an itch for a Rolex Master ll.

If you have got this far in my whittling, I thank you., and if you haven’t then I can understand why
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 9th September 2018 at 03:01. Reason: Added a further piece

Master
    Quite a plausible 'exit' watch.

Master
    Does anyone ever really buy an 'exit' watch? I'm 70 in three months and happily consider what i'l buy next. The end will come , but until then....always onward. No giving-up. I can order a Patek which might arrive by my 80th. With luck. Except I don't want one!
    Incidentally, commiserations at the night shifts. Not good for general health.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th September 2018 at 09:46.

Awesome gesture giving away the three Rolex!

The 58 is a great watch, and a return to form. Case shape is back to the classic look :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    I make no apologies for bumping my old thread but I am working a night shift and need to fill some time LOL. It doesn’t seem all that long, from when I created this thread!

But now with less than a month to go, I thought that an update would be in order.
    The decision to buy a new watch to mark this milestone did come to fruition and I even had the back of the Rolex Explorer 1 engraved.
    This was the one, the very last one.........yea right

Well life, as we know, is never that straightforward, recently we lost our Mom, who was an integral part of our family and who kept everything working.
    And shortly after this, it was like a lighting bolt striking home, things became clearer and I made a decision, which to my surprise was very easy to make.

I decided to give my 3 Rolex watches to my daughters, they would of received them anyway, but why wait 10-20 years (hopefully) let them benefit from them now.
    So last week without any warning, I presented them with one each. The look on their faces, when they realised what they had was utterly priceless, which words can’t describe.

However, I still have a watch, that probably marks my 60th birthday very nicely
    The Tudor Black Bay 58.
    Launched to mark the 60th anniversary of their diving watch back in 1958.
    And to top it off my AD dated the warranty card with my birthday day and month.
    What could be more poetic.

Now I am not going to say “ That’s it, I am done” because nobody here would be believe me, lease alone myself LOL
    Besides I keeping getting an itch for a Rolex Master ll.

If you have got this far in my whittling, I thank you., and if you haven’t then I can understand why
    I would like to say this was an amazing gesture and I'm pretty sure the look and love you received from giving these watches away to your daughters far outweighs the joy a watch can bring whilst wearing it..
    Material things can be replaced but great memories can only be made.!
    Well done sir👍

Journeyman
    I am 1963 born so it isvery easy for me

The Sea Gull 1963

If anyone is selling theirs in 2023....I am your buyer.

Journeyman
    I'd get a 6605 which was launched in 1955 with a red date wheel....

Today is my 60th birthday
    And of course it can only be one watch.
    The Tudor BB 58.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Many happy returns of the day. Nice watch also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Happy birthday fella - BB58 is a very nice watch!

Today is my 60th birthday
    And of course it can only be one watch.
    The Tudor BB 58.

Stunning happy Bday!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app