timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 61 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 17840

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This is what i picked up.

So today I bought this to fit it to!

There’s a bit of work to be done but it’ll keep me occupied!
    Is that a VFR swinger and wheel? Keep us informed how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Each to there own,having been trapped under my bike by my foot I always wear bike boots.

Summer wear on my Wales trip

Altberg desert Hoggs made specially for me for my trip to Spain last year.
    much cooler in the heat,good to walk around in and full protection.

Alpinestar cuff length summer gloves with knuckle protectors.

Furygan Italian leather jacket,no liner,short gloves means I get a cooling draught through the sleeves.

Shoei NXR with photo chromatic visor,in my view cooler than an open face.

In reserve for a real heatwave Dainese fully vented jacket with a looser fit.

I tried those technical tees they just made me sweat more.
    I have a Dainese textile jacket and can roll down front and back panels for air flow and an Arai Tour X for hot weather. The Dainese jacket is genuinely 4 seasons with seperate zip in waterproof and thermal linings.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Is that a VFR swinger and wheel? Keep us informed how it works out.
    Yes, NC24.

Having had a quick look at one of my frames today, it doesn’t look like it’ll be too difficult.

I’ll need to get a couple of new bearings, make up a few pieces and a bit of persuasion with the lump hammer and angle grinder should see everything slot into place.

Awesome. I do like a proper streetfighter....

Subscribed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, NC24.

Having had a quick look at one of my frames today, it doesn’t look like it’ll be too difficult.

I’ll need to get a couple of new bearings, make up a few pieces and a bit of persuasion with the lump hammer and angle grinder should see everything slot into place.
    You make it all sound so easy Dave! Looking forward to seeing the results on due course. ATB Jon

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have seen first hand the consequences of wearing non protective bike gear can have. Many many years ago my brother was knocked off his bike and suffered horrific skin abrasion injuries to a lot of his body. He was hospitalised for quite a few weeks having grafts and on a drip etc. The worst one was to his ankle area where his bone was exposed. His hands were also badly injured, just think, if you are falling what do you put out first to break the fall? The accident was in no way his fault. He still has light scarring from the gravel rash, and says the worst bit he remembers was the nurses picking little bits of dirt and gravel out of his skin.

Its so so tempting to nip out in this weather in shorts and a tee shirt, I know I’m tempted. However its simply not worth the risk. Kevlar jeans are not a world apart from your usual designer stuff, and a vented textile jacket with armour is reasonably cool once you are moving. Deffo agree with another poster about the boots, and gloves are a must. Thats just me though and each to their own I suppose. If this hadnt happened to my bro perhaps i’d still flirt about in summer gear, but not now, it really hits home your vulnerability and actual mortality when on a bike compared to other forms of transport.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I with Stuart on this one too. I'll wear kevlar jeans ( bought from the sales corner here) with knee armour as a minimum, but usually it's Dainese leather trousers with a Dainese leather jacket zipped together or a two piece race suit. If it's really hot then as someone mentioned earlier I've got a Dainese textile jacket with venting zips both front and rear. Once moving this allows a nice flow of air through the jacket. I'll usually wear a cycling base layer underneath.

Short leather gloves with venting on the back, Daytona or Sidi boots both fully armoured and a full face lid, although I have just purchased a Shark Evo 1 two flip up lid for touring. It's homologated for use in both positions.

In almost 40 years of riding I've not had an off, but know despite my riding skills and road sense there is always something around the corner that you may have no control over so I'm not prepared to take this risk. I did have a lowish speed off on my pedal cycle a few years ago. Wearing proper cycling mitts and a helmet I still had some nasty gravel rash and a broken thumb.

I appreciate it's a personal call but it's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

For me motorcycling is first and foremost about the enjoyment and the feeling of freedom you get when riding. I'm not particularly good with the heat to start with (I'm fair skinned and I overheat very easily) so on a hot day if I'm wrapped up in sweltering layers of protection it kills boths aspects of enjoyment.

Like others on here I've ridden for well over 40 years and I've seen the effects of having a spill with no protection (years of skin grafts and the amputation of a foot in one case) and I've had my share of spills when I was a younger man. I've been very fortunate that even after having some relatively high speed spills, as well as being t-boned by a speeding car I've survived with minor cuts and scrapes.

The thing is, even with all this experience which should reinforce the fact that adorning myself in multiple layers of protection reduces risks of injury I still choose to wear what I feel comfortable in when the weather's hot, I'd rather not ride than not enjoy riding.

For anyone who doesn't wear a jacket in summer take a look at this.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/325017

I have an older version and it's fantastic. I previously had a Dainese Air Frame mesh jacket and it was barely ok but this is much, much better and the armour is massive, especially on the back. I had an accident in my Dainese jacket and really hurt my lower back as the armour in it is tiny. I think if I was wearing the Rukka I still would have hurt myself just not as bad as I did. And I always upgrade my armour on all jackets.

This with a dry fit gym t-shirt under is great. Order it on eBay from a German seller and save some money. You won't need a warranty as it isn't waterproof!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For anyone who doesn't wear a jacket in summer take a look at this.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/325017

I have an older version and it's fantastic. I previously had a Dainese Air Frame mesh jacket and it was barely ok but this is much, much better and the armour is massive, especially on the back. I had an accident in my Dainese jacket and really hurt my lower back as the armour in it is tiny. I think if I was wearing the Rukka I still would have hurt myself just not as bad as I did. And I always upgrade my armour on all jackets.

This with a dry fit gym t-shirt under is great. Order it on eBay from a German seller and save some money. You won't need a warranty as it isn't waterproof!
    Just wondering were you wearing a back protector when you injured your back? I've used one for years now but fortunately haven't found out if they are worth it to just overkill for day to day road riding

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Just wondering were you wearing a back protector when you injured your back? I've used one for years now but fortunately haven't found out if they are worth it to just overkill for day to day road riding

I had an upgraded back protector in the Dainese but the size of protector the jacket allows for is pathetic and I hurt my lower back landing on the tarmac. Rukka protection pockets are massive and cover your entire back.

I did buy a separate back protector after which you put on before the jacket but what a faff. Haven't used it since I bought the Rukka after it was released. Saying that it probably offers the most protection you'll ever see.

If you want to get shot of the Dainese one let me know..I've booked my 1st track day in September. I've got a two piece Dainese suit but have been advised to get a back protector too...not the slip in one though.

Blog Entries

Is it me or is the sprocket on the wrong side for that bike?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

You can do vented protection far cheaper than Rukka - I’ve just come back from a ride wearing this (with the optional back protection) and I can vouch for it’s coolness in very hot weather. Rev’It stuff is brilliant for anyone who rides modern classic/retro bikes too.

£108 delivered.

I have an RST Ventilator 5 jacket when I’m out in textiles. Really nice bit of kit, with removable thermal and waterproof liners. You can have any combination or non of the liners, so its a 4 season bit of kit. Also has a CE approved back protector in, as well as shoulder and elbow armour. With no liners in its quite wearable in the hot weather, in fact I was out in it yesterday and it felt fine with a tee shirt underneath. Roadskin fully lined jeans and AlpineStars SP3 summer gloves, SPX3 shortie boots and Neotec 2 flip up lid and I wasnt a bit sweaty at all, yet still felt reasonably well protected. Not as protected as my leathers obviously, but I was comfortable and not overheating.

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It’s you.....swing arm is upside down..👍

Ok guys, has anyone got or used a radar detector. I have thought about them previously, but in an ideal world I’d like one I can put on the bike and use in the car. However, if its bike specific I’m good with that as I’m thinking I am more in lined to ‘need’ it when on the bike. Any recommendations ?.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It’s you.....swing arm is upside down..
    Thought that might be the case but thought I could see the place for the shock/spring attachment!

More bike related stuff

The swing arm is upside down!

You can see all of the shock linkage but that’s on the underside of the swing arm and the shock goes through the gap.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 30th June 2019 at 16:28.

Blog Entries
    I normally wear leather trousers on the bike but would like to try some of the reinforced and armoured jeans. Does anyone wear them and what makes do you use?

Blog Entries
    Thought that might be the case but thought I could see the place for the shock/spring attachment!
    The swing arm is upside down!
    Like I said, I thought I could see the attachment for shock or spring!

Just ordered this mini screen for the GSA. Need some air on me during the commute!

Like I said, I thought I could see the attachment for shock or spring!
    I’ve just edited my post above to explain.

I normally wear leather trousers on the bike but would like to try some of the reinforced and armoured jeans. Does anyone wear them and what makes do you use?
    I have a pair of Roadskin jeans. They are fully kevlar lined, from the waistband down to the hem. Some brands are part lined so you may want to consider this. They also have pretty good impact armour for the knees and hips, and this is removable. The actual denim is a more heavy weight than your normal jeans, but they dont look out of place when you stop for a pub dinner !!

I bought them last year direct from Roadskin themselves as they had an offer on for £90 incl postage.

If you search their website or youtube, you can find a video of a guy actually being dragged along on his ass wearing these jeans and shows the protection they offer. There is also a vid of the impact armour as well somewhere. There are other brands but these seemed to offer everything I am looking for.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Ok guys, has anyone got or used a radar detector. I have thought about them previously, but in an ideal world I’d like one I can put on the bike and use in the car. However, if its bike specific I’m good with that as I’m thinking I am more in lined to ‘need’ it when on the bike. Any recommendations ?.

Stuart

I used a Bell 745STi for a few years and it was awesome at giving me early warning of most traffic lights and, oddly, B&Q.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Have radar detectors kept up with radars in terms of technology ? I thought that by the time the newer ones were detected they had already clocked you - or at least you didn’t have time to slow down.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I used a Bell 745STi for a few years and it was awesome at giving me early warning of most traffic lights and, oddly, B&Q.

Gyp, how far in front of you can they detect a radar? I ride mainly in Wales through the valleys and am wondering if they detect by line of sight, distance or whatever. If they detect by line of sight that seems a bit useless as the chances are you have already been zapped. However, if its say 1 or whatever mile away thats fine, especially if they ‘see’ round corners or over the brow of a hill etc.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of Roadskin jeans. They are fully kevlar lined, from the waistband down to the hem. Some brands are part lined so you may want to consider this. They also have pretty good impact armour for the knees and hips, and this is removable. The actual denim is a more heavy weight than your normal jeans, but they dont look out of place when you stop for a pub dinner !!

I bought them last year direct from Roadskin themselves as they had an offer on for £90 incl postage.

If you search their website or youtube, you can find a video of a guy actually being dragged along on his ass wearing these jeans and shows the protection they offer. There is also a vid of the impact armour as well somewhere. There are other brands but these seemed to offer everything I am looking for.

Stuart

Thanks will take a look.

Blog Entries
    I’ve just edited my post above to explain.
    Thats what fooled me!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just ordered this mini screen for the GSA. Need some air on me during the commute!
    Like that. Suits the bike well.👍

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hood are pretty good too.

Just been googling low screens after baking yesterday, where did you get that one from/ looks great!

Gyp, how far in front of you can they detect a radar? I ride mainly in Wales through the valleys and am wondering if they detect by line of sight, distance or whatever. If they detect by line of sight that seems a bit useless as the chances are you have already been zapped. However, if its say 1 or whatever mile away thats fine, especially if they ‘see’ round corners or over the brow of a hill etc.

Stuart

Sorry,Stuart, what I was implying was it was next to useless for radar.

As I understand it, most of the police use lasers now, which are very directional/no scatter, so when the detector notices it's already too late.

I've found the inforad, that uses a database of known positions, far more useful

INFORAD Speed camera detectors - Moto M1 motorbike GPS speed camera alert with Free Database Updates https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000UAMA..._H7ngDbAFKG4NK

... Though these days I'm more likely to hold up a queue than trouble speed traps

I have a couple of pairs of Hornee Jeans, and really rate them. No internal pockets for armour, but i use their knee-armour stockings which are better at staying in position if you come off the bike.

All these jeans get pretty grubby in use, and are not as cool as you might expect - you can still get extremely hot in them in France and Spain for example.

Thats what fooled me!
    This shows it a little clearer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I have a couple of pairs of Hornee Jeans, and really rate them. No internal pockets for armour, but i use their knee-armour stockings which are better at staying in position if you come off the bike.

All these jeans get pretty grubby in use, and are not as cool as you might expect - you can still get extremely hot in them in France and Spain for example.
    Yep, jeans are not cool in this weather.

Master
    I’ve got a couple of pairs of Bull-it Covec jeans.... seem ok, although I did have a pair that split on a seam after only a few days use...
    To be fair I got a full refund..

I’ve just bought a pair of Knox Richmond II - fully Kevlar-lined with knee and hip protection but remarkably light weight compared to others I have or have handled. Definitely the best I’ve come across for summer use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    If you don’t know how to do it right, getting a pro to set up your bike suspension is well worth the amount it costs. Steve Jordan in Bookham is about the best down south.
    I was down there a few weeks ago to get my R9T Suspension upgrades tuned ... New Nitron rear shock and Andreanni fork kit.
    Steve knows what he's doing and my suspension settings out of the box were way off.

Master

Tour

Just back from 3 days around Wales ... Brecon , Newtown, Aberystwyth, Swodonia, Shrewbury.
    Amazing roads .. and we missed the heatwave that happened on Saturday - it was overcast for us... so nice and cool.

I've got a pair of Hood jeans which are good for winter as they are incredibly thick and heavy (very baggy though) and a pair of PMJ legend cafe racers for summer.

The PMJ were ridiculously expensive but are single lined without losing any protection, fit really well and feel no heavier or warmer than my normal jeans. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Just been googling low screens after baking yesterday, where did you get that one from/ looks great!
    I got mine from here. Tried to buy direct but the check out screen was awful and same price on their eBay page.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183394466200

i have a pair of RST aramid vintage jeans i wear occasionally , very comfortable though only part lined afaik with knee armour @ around £90 they are one of the cheapest riding jeans out there and are cooler than leather trousers , for those feeling flush some if the best fully lined are draggin jeans tho they are around £250 last time i looked.
    i always ride in some sort of gear to save getting skinned alive (like some here i have friends and have seen pppl with bad injuries due to riding in tshirts/ shorts) , i dont often go out on the bike if im going to get cooked alive (like yesterday @30'c )

I have some Ducati ones (because I had a credit to use up) but they are made by Dainese and seem OK and look pretty much like normal jeans.

The denim is reinforced plus they have additional internal lining on the seat and knees. The knees also have some very thin removable armour although this I would say is more shock absorbing than armour like in leathers or textiles.

They look good and should be better than normal denim in the event of a tumble.

Perfect, thanks! Now need to decide between black and dark smoked

Had some lovely riding over the past couple of days, and shot these two photos on my phone earlier this afternoon. I do have two changes coming over the next week - a Unit Garage slip on silencer and a newly-upholstered Scrambler seat in black and orange. it does look nice even now, though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’ve just bought a pair of Knox Richmond II - fully Kevlar-lined with knee and hip protection but remarkably light weight compared to others I have or have handled. Definitely the best I’ve come across for summer use.
    Tony first thing Elephant in the room , we are looking at 124,000 views and 3000+ Comments of “ Im doing my CBT and thinking about buying...........” what a great post on TZ and thanks to Eddie for hosting.

Only last week I bought a pair of Knox Richmond jeans as I felt a bit of a berk riding the monkey in either a Klim suit or leather pants. Is it me since Im a short arse that the knee armour resides mid way up my shins? I have taken them out, I will keep the hip armour in at present.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony first thing Elephant in the room , we are looking at 124,000 views and 3000+ Comments of “ Im doing my CBT and thinking about buying...........” what a great post on TZ and thanks to Eddie for hosting.

Only last week I bought a pair of Knox Richmond jeans as I felt a bit of a berk riding the monkey in either a Klim suit or leather pants. Is it me since Im a short arse that the knee armour resides mid way up my shins? I have taken them out, I will keep the hip armour in at present.
    Haha... yes, it just goes to show what a great biking subculture there is on TZ. It's been an amazing journey (literally) for me, too.

Funnily enough, I got a 32 short in the Richmonds and also found the knee armour to be a bit low (I thought it must just be me). Annoying, but with knees bent on the bike it sits in the right place so I'll leave mine in, I think; it does suggest that they just chop the legs of the standard length to produce the short version, though.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Get a pair of Knox stocking armour pads for knees. much better than slot in ones