closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Scooters, anyone got one???

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yes you can get done - because you are using a motor vehicle. So it matters not if you use them on the street, or just on the pavement. Unless you are using one of the official scooters in one of the trials (which are insured and have to be used on the street), you can only use them on private property.
    Like a car, still need insurance if on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    This is not unique to scooters, that kid would have probably done the same walking, running, cycling.
    Agree, I see a lot of kids on bikes in London who don't give a damn about vehicles or the rules of the roads. Particularly bad when you get groups of 20-30 kids out for the weekend "ride out" through the centre of town. Pretty sure they go with the mentality that anything happens to them, they will play the victim and blame the car driver despite cycling dangerously. The system is set up to hammer the driver unless there is undeniable proof.

Think it's social media like this that encourages it...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPaujndJ..._web_copy_link

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Agree, I see a lot of kids on bikes in London who don't give a damn about vehicles or the rules of the roads. Particularly bad when you get groups of 20-30 kids out for the weekend "ride out" through the centre of town. Pretty sure they go with the mentality that anything happens to them, they will play the victim and blame the car driver despite cycling dangerously. The system is set up to hammer the driver unless there is undeniable proof.

Think it's social media like this that encourages it...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPaujndJ..._web_copy_link
    If you think the kids are bad look at the adults doing the same and worse.

Drivers are not faultless, the % that don't obey the 20mph limits in central London are high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

Drivers are not faultless, the % that don't obey the 20mph limits in central London are high

True. I live on a 30mph road but a main thoroughfare in the suburbs. Loads of drivers race through well over the speed limit. Living within the London urban sprawl, I very rarely drive…my own two feet. a bicycle or public transport in order of preference.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

Literally no one obeys the 20 limit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Yep, they are a menace (currently). Regardless of any changes, riding on the pavement should be retained as illegal.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I do and was glad I did, on the way back from the pub the other evening, when I realised I had a police car behind me.

Was hoping to be pulled over having had the sum total of 3 alcohol free “beers”.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I do and was glad I did, on the way back from the pub the other evening, when I realised I had a police car behind me.

Was hoping to be pulled over having had the sum total of 3 alcohol free “beers”.
    I’m guessing you’ve been overtaken on a residential road too then? Scooters are the least of London’s traffic related trouble. I was crossing with my son last week with the aid of the lollipop person outside a school and a car literally swerved around them forcing my son and I back on to the pavement. The irony was the traffic was backed up further down the road so much so my son and I were able to walk 200m to catch up to him so I could point out his error…his response was to take off his seatbelt and ‘threaten’ to get out of his car!!

The standard of driving in London now is so poor I’m surprised I don’t see serious accidents on a daily basis…more though luck then judgment I fear!

Master
    I’m guessing you’ve been overtaken on a residential road too then?
    Multiple times and most recently was almost hit head on by a van overtaking a learner driver.

People who drove at 40 when the limit was 30 still do; it’s just made the differential speed greater. It seems the people who make these types of changes have never driven. I feel a lot less safe now than I did with a 30 limit. I keep meaning to ask the local councillors if the number/severity of accidents has decreased. Suspect not.

Multiple times and most recently was almost hit head on by a van overtaking a learner driver.

People who drove at 40 when the limit was 30 still do; it’s just made the differential speed greater. It seems the people who make these types of changes have never driven. I feel a lot less safe now than I did with a 30 limit. I keep meaning to ask the local councillors if the number/severity of accidents has decreased. Suspect not.
    I find I spend more time checking my speed than I used to…

Master
    I find I spend more time checking my speed than I used to…
    Yes. It’s seems more difficult to maintain a steady low speed than 30/40, etc..

Standard of driving is a disgrace in Central London. Twice nearly been run over at Piccadilly Circus on consecutive weeks now. Last weekend a car decided to take a shortcut by driving the wrong way down a one-way bus lane, this week a car mounted the pavement and drove along it to get round the back of a queue. Gave me a wave as he drove by on the pavement as if to say “cheers for getting out of my way”.

Yes. It’s seems more difficult to maintain a steady low speed than 30/40, etc..
    Set 20 as your max speed on the limiter and watch the road.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Yep, they are a menace (currently). Regardless of any changes, riding on the pavement should be retained as illegal.
    For once I agree with you. Pavements are for pedestrians, not pushbikes or electric scooters.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Rubbish. I drive everywhere on my speed limiter. Plus I do not take a run up to speed limit changes and brake well in advance of decreases of limits. A limit is a limit. Trying to demonise drivers is pathetic, many have road sense, obey the highway code and are aware of our surroundings. I have hardly ever witnessed an e-scooter rider exhibit these qualities ever.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Rubbish. I drive everywhere on my speed limiter. Plus I do not take a run up to speed limit changes and brake well in advance of decreases of limits. A limit is a limit. Trying to demonise drivers is pathetic, many have road sense, obey the highway code and are aware of our surroundings. I have hardly ever witnessed an e-scooter rider exhibit these qualities ever.
    you obviously don’t drive in SE London

Just saw a middle aged man on one of these with an aftermarket looking seat on it. Was like a massive pole with a bicycle seat on top.

It's been a while since I've seen something that pathetic. Was funny and sad in equal measure.

you obviously don’t drive in SE London
    I do when I see the In-laws funny enough. No different. A speed limit, obey it. It is not rocket science.

I do when I see the In-laws funny enough. No different. A speed limit, obey it. It is not rocket science.
    I agree…seems everyone else didn’t get the message!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just saw a middle aged man on one of these with an aftermarket looking seat on it. Was like a massive pole with a bicycle seat on top.

It's been a while since I've seen something that pathetic. Was funny and sad in equal measure.
    Is that just turning it into a mobility scooter?

Is that just turning it into a mobility scooter?
    It was really weird, just a super long brompton style saddle in the middle of where you're meant to rest your feet.

You're not going to be pleased mate. I went to the Essex Stakeholder meeting on the rental machines today. The scheme in Essex is at the moment being piloted in 6 Essex Towns, Basildon, Brentwood, Clacton, Colchester, Braintree and Chelmsford. And in 70 other towns and cities throughout the Uk. If the DfT get the figures they want for lowering emissions this figure is to be doubled. The age demographic using the vehicles is 88% between the ages of 18 and 44.
    71% of users are male.
    As you know the Ford Motor Company are behind Spin in Essex. They stand to make millions out of this scheme, I'm afraid they are here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    You're not going to be pleased mate. I went to the Essex Stakeholder meeting on the rental machines today. The scheme in Essex is at the moment being piloted in 6 Essex Towns, Basildon, Brentwood, Clacton, Colchester, Braintree and Chelmsford. And in 70 other towns and cities throughout the Uk. If the DfT get the figures they want for lowering emissions this figure is to be doubled. The age demographic using the vehicles is 88% between the ages of 18 and 44.
    71% of users are male.
    As you know the Ford Motor Company are behind Spin in Essex. They stand to make millions out of this scheme, I'm afraid they are here to stay.
    It’s a ridiculous scheme. Most of those I see riding them are youngsters who would otherwise be walking, cycling or on a bus. Can’t see that they reduce car usage at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s a ridiculous scheme. Most of those I see riding them are youngsters who would otherwise be walking, cycling or on a bus. Can’t see that they reduce car usage at all.
    Not for the 10 months of the year you’re likely to get rained or snowed on.

I, for one, welcome our new electric transportation overlords.

We have an electric scooter, purchased initially for a very specific purpose. It's used quite frequently and as a family, we love it. Once legal, my wife will commute to work on it, instead of the car.

Equally I have 2 e-bikes; one road, one MTB - I use both recreationally and have covered around 700 miles in 7-8 months. Once I return to office, I intend to commute on them - probably only in fair weather.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These have to be part of our future transport solution.

One person on a scooter is likely one less car on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    These have to be part of our future transport solution.

One person on a scooter is likely one less car on the road.
    I don't believe that one e-scooter is likely to be one less car on the road. I'd honestly be surprised if all the e-scooter useage right now resulted in any statistically relevant reduction in car useage.

I don't believe that one e-scooter is likely to be one less car on the road. I'd honestly be surprised if all the e-scooter useage right now resulted in any statistically relevant reduction in car useage.
    But it might once they’re legal.

I'm still not convinced. How many are using cars for relatively short solo journeys that would be able to swap to an e-scooter?

The e-scooter doesn't allow you to carry shopping or luggage, go long journeys, travel with wife and kids. Annually, nearly a third of the year sees rain in London. For these reasons, I can't agree that one person on a scooter is going to be one less car on the road.

Meanwhile on the Lotus Emira, What do you drive and other Pistonhead offshoot adrenaline/tesosterone fuelled threads...........................

If you were designing a transport system it would look nothing like the economic and ecological disaster we have now.

Bike, scooters, e-bikes can all make the world a better place and in many countries already are. In the gammony UK we are against anything that would add any inconvenience or add any extra responsibility to the road users.

Right now cars and "professional drivers" are the biggest killers on the road. When they accept speed limiters in all vehicles, mandatory cameras storing all journeys for later analysis, automatic fines for cars parked ilegally, automatic points for jumped traffic lights, and jail time for accidents we can chat about the largely non existent problems these other forms of transport cause.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm still not convinced. How many are using cars for relatively short solo journeys that would be able to swap to an e-scooter?

The e-scooter doesn't allow you to carry shopping or luggage, go long journeys, travel with wife and kids. Annually, nearly a third of the year sees rain in London. For these reasons, I can't agree that one person on a scooter is going to be one less car on the road.
    The average journey length is 8.6 miles so there are many short journeys that could be done on an ebike or escooter.

Also, most car journeys have just a single person in the car.

Scooters, bikes, segways etc could massively reduce city congestion and improve air quality.

Craftsman
    I used a spin scooter the other day to get home after the football and think it’s great, will be using a lot more

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    If you were designing a transport system it would look nothing like the economic and ecological disaster we have now.

Bike, scooters, e-bikes can all make the world a better place and in many countries already are. In the gammony UK we are against anything that would add any inconvenience or add any extra responsibility to the road users.

Right now cars and "professional drivers" are the biggest killers on the road. When they accept speed limiters in all vehicles, mandatory cameras storing all journeys for later analysis, automatic fines for cars parked ilegally, automatic points for jumped traffic lights, and jail time for accidents we can chat about the largely non existent problems these other forms of transport cause.
    "...gammony UK..."

Bike, scooters, e-bikes are fine for urban, short journeys when carrying capacity isn't a factor.

Took the spaniel to the vets this week, 8 mile round trip, difficult without a car. Supermarket 6 mile round trip, loaded with shopping on way back, difficult without a car. Going to the range tomorrow, 34 mile round trip carrying kit, difficult without a car. And public transport for those journeys almost impossible.

"...cars and "professional drivers" are the biggest killers on the road..." well yes, because 'cars and "professional drivers" probably account for 90% of people on the road.

Not everyone lives in an urban environment where everything they want is a couple of miles away. People living in rural areas rely on cars.

I consider myself as green as it comes with transport as I hate being in a car. I walk, run, cycle or take public transport most places. So, I'm coming at this not from some petrol head point of view, but to think that e-scooters are going to have any impact in the UK on congestion or emissions is fantasy land. E-cars will eventually though.

If the wider population was that concerned about traffic and congestion, they would have been cycling that 8.6 miles decades ago. Convincing the mum/dad on the school run to take their 2 kids to school on an e-scooter or the average person going to work in his office clothes on a cold, wet, windy morning in the UK on an e-scooter just isn't going to happen.

So, I still don't buy the 1-for-1, e-scooter for car dream.

I am supportive of the regulated rental schemes though...e-scooters have their place for a specific transport need...the same one that some people have been doing by bicycle for decades.
    Last edited by Christian; 6th July 2021 at 21:02.

Master
    I’m currently sitting in A&E having been knocked off my e-scooter whilst doing the school run this morning. I have always been sensible how I ride it but a van decided to do a u-turn at a crossroads right in front of me. Scooter went under his front wheel but thankfully I just have a sore arm!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I’m currently sitting in A&E having been knocked off my e-scooter whilst doing the school run this morning. I have always been sensible how I ride it but a van decided to do a u-turn at a crossroads right in front of me. Scooter went under his front wheel but thankfully I just have a sore arm!

Hope it’s not serious and you have a speedy recovery.

Idiots doing U-turns at crossroads (and mini roundabouts) is sadly increasingly common but still not something you can “plan” for as a road user.

Blog Entries
    Hope it’s not serious and you have a speedy recovery.

Idiots doing U-turns at crossroads (and mini roundabouts) is sadly increasingly common but still not something you can “plan” for as a road user.
    I often do a u turn at a mini roundabout in our village, didn't realise there was anything wrong with that as long as you are indicating your intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I often do a u turn at a mini roundabout in our village, didn't realise there was anything wrong with that as long as you are indicating your intentions.
    You're not meant to use your indicators if preforming a U-turn if that's what you meant by indicating your intentions.

Stuie, how do you do the school run on one of those scooters?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You're not meant to use your indicators if preforming a U-turn if that's what you meant by indicating your intentions.

Stuie, how do you do the school run on one of those scooters?
    My kids (4 an 7) are on their micro scooter and bike on the path, I am alongside on the road or cycle path on the scooter.

The van turned left into the side road, as I was alongside he swung back right again full lock into the main road to do the u-turn so I had nowhere to go

Master
    Can’t think how you can signal your intention to do a U-turn which is part of the problem (not that people often signal these days).

FWIW, the Highway Code says “Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts”.
    Last edited by David_D; 7th July 2021 at 13:05.

Blog Entries
    Can’t think how you can signal your intention to do a U-turn which is part of the problem (not that people often signal these days).

FWIW, the Highway Code says “Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts”.
    If I'm indicating to turn right then I'm obviously not going straight on. Pretty plain to see from front or back. "Avoid" doesn't mean it's not allowed.

Master
    If I'm indicating to turn right then I'm obviously not going straight on. Pretty plain to see from front or back. "Avoid" doesn't mean it's not allowed.
    Saying “avoid” is, indeed, unhelpful but it clearly suggests that whoever writes the HC thinks it’s better to not do the manoeuvre than to do it.

The problem for other drivers is that, if you are coming from my left, I expect you to be going (your) left, straight on or (your) right, past me. As you are signalling right, it would not be unreasonable for me to take that signal as meaning you were exiting onto the road I am leaving. If that was the case, it would be safe for me to enter the roundabout. However, your right signal apparently isn’t being used that way and so, as I entered the roundabout, you’d still be turning to complete then U-turn.

If you signalled right not intending to go right and an accident resulted from undertaking a manoeuvre that the HC says to “avoid”, I wonder what the strict legal position would be.

I always avoid acting on any other driver’s signals unless there is some distance between us so hope to avoid situations like that.

Blog Entries
    Saying “avoid” is, indeed, unhelpful but it clearly suggests that whoever writes the HC thinks it’s better to not do the manoeuvre than to do it.

The problem for other drivers is that, if you are coming from my left, I expect you to be going (your) left, straight on or (your) right, past me. As you are signalling right, it would not be unreasonable for me to take that signal as meaning you were exiting onto the road I am leaving. If that was the case, it would be safe for me to enter the roundabout. However, your right signal apparently isn’t being used that way and so, as I entered the roundabout, you’d still be turning to complete then U-turn.

If you signalled right not intending to go right and an accident resulted from undertaking a manoeuvre that the HC says to “avoid”, I wonder what the strict legal position would be.

I always avoid acting on any other driver’s signals unless there is some distance between us so hope to avoid situations like that.
    I would be turning right relative to my position on the roundabout. I always look to see if other cars are paying attention to my signals, if it looked as though they would pull out in front of me I would be ready.

Master
    I would be turning right relative to my position on the roundabout. I always look to see if other cars are paying attention to my signals, if it looked as though they would pull out in front of me I would be ready.
    The trouble with mini roundabouts is that there isn’t the opportunity to change, or start, signalling on e you are on it, as there is on a larger conventional one where you signal right as you join and then left as you reach your exit. I guess there are different sizes but some round my way are little more then a car’s length from one side to another so actually difficult to drive around (rather than over) which I believe is mandatory. They bring out the nervous driver in me.

Master

So I have a broken arm, which being my right one makes doing anything very difficult but it could have been a lot worse.

I do think e-scooters are great but there likely will be a lot of accidents when rolled out legally. Even when ridden sensibly, car drivers are just not used to looking out for them in the same way they do for bikes, or appreciate that they are likely to be travelling a bit faster

Blog Entries
    So I have a broken arm, which being my right one makes doing anything very difficult but it could have been a lot worse.

I do think e-scooters are great but there likely will be a lot of accidents when rolled out legally. Even when ridden sensibly, car drivers are just not used to looking out for them in the same way they do for bikes, or appreciate that they are likely to be travelling a bit faster

What kind of protective gear are people wearing on them? When I'm on my motorcycle I'm wearing a helmet, airbag jacket and armoured jeans as a minimum. Every little helps.

What kind of protective gear are people wearing on them? When I'm on my motorcycle I'm wearing a helmet, airbag jacket and armoured jeans as a minimum. Every little helps.
    Well, I’ve seen hundreds of scooter riders and I can’t recall ever seeing a rider with a helmet on.

Master
    I always wear a helmet but that’s all. I don’t think there is a need for anything else

Master
    From a local paper, e scooter driver fined hundreds of pounds and 8 points.

https://www.eppingforestguardian.co....ar-park-fined/