closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 52 of 83 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    Which one would that be? Love Ardbeg but one of the pricer Islays.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It was a bottle from ASDA, but bought many years ago so perhaps not much help now.

I think some of the non-declared Islay generics on the market are Ardbeg, had another not long ago at a friends.
    I can't recall the full name (!), but will ask.

Cheers,
    AP.

The Bunnahabhain arrived earlier today along with another GlenDronach, that brings me to this SOTWC.

SOTWC

L-R

Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaig Triple Wood, Laphroaig 8yr fino sherry cask 56.1% (bottled using a vilanch when I visited the distillery last September), Laphroaig QC, Laphroaig 10, Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine, Jura Superstition, Amrut Fusion, Yamazaki 18, Springbank 15, Adnams Single, Glenfarclas 15, Kilkerran 12, Mitchell & Sons Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton, GlenDronach Allardice 18, Glenfiddich Solero 15 and a Dalmore 18.

A fair spread there, two or three were bought as gifts however the rest I've built up over a little while with others coming and going in the meantime. Despite having a good few to choose from I can easily go a couple of weeks without drinking any, I tend to have a dram only when I'm absolutely in the mood and on a non-school night so that I can relax and enjoy it more. Some of the above are staples - I'll never be without a Laph 10, Amrut Fusion, Kilkerran 12, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Springbank 15 and, now I've tried it, the GlenDronach 18. Four of those I have more than a single bottle of...
    Last edited by CardShark; 24th January 2020 at 18:12.

Just opened a bottle of Bunnahabhain "Port Charlotte " peated edition, very acceptable indeed.

FYI Ardbeg 10 year is down to £35 today on Amazon, one of my faves finished a bottle late last year so thought I'd better get one ordered to restock

Quote Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
    FYI Ardbeg 10 year is down to £35 today on Amazon, one of my faves finished a bottle late last year so thought I'd better get one ordered to restock
    Ordered. Thanks for the tip

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    All,

I'm really enjoying the Laphroaig 10. I love the peaty taste.

Has anyone got any similar peaty recommendations please.

Best regards,

Ben
    Try the Laphroaig 10yr Cask strength, it's such an upgrade over the normal 10yr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Good man!
    At least you're not into the soft alchohol girly pop gins.

Nothing wrong with that Tescos Scotch btw. (There's a lot worse out there!)
    Yes there is. Tesco Value is the cheapest of the cheap. I once had to fall back on it as it was the only thing left in the shop at midnight and we were in the middle of a game of poker. I've never had a worse hangover. It's basically medical spirit, kept for as short a time as it can be to still be called whisky, then coloured with caramel. Even mixed with coke or lemonade it's undrinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    All,

I'm really enjoying the Laphroaig 10. I love the peaty taste.

Has anyone got any similar peaty recommendations please.

Best regards,

Ben
    Basically, anything from Islay would sort you out. I'd also add Talisker, and some Campeltown malts like Springbank and Kilkerran.

Master
    If anyone's a member of Costco I bought a bottle of highland park Viking pride 18 for £59 the cheapest I could find it anywere else was £100 a bottle

Hello

It's funny how I never used to like or even think of trying whiskey and now am very taken with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    If anyone's a member of Costco I bought a bottle of highland park Viking pride 18 for £59 the cheapest I could find it anywere else was £100 a bottle
    Was this recently? I might have to have an emergency run-up to the Stevenage branch to find one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Was this recently? I might have to have an emergency run-up to the Stevenage branch to find one!
    Today

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Just opened a bottle of Bunnahabhain "Port Charlotte " peated edition, very acceptable indeed.
    That's really interesting!
    Bunnahabhain being at the Port Askaig end of the island and Port Charlotte (next to Bruichladdich) at the other.
    Two totally different distilleries and style.

More info please!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    That's really interesting!
    Bunnahabhain being at the Port Askaig end of the island and Port Charlotte (next to Bruichladdich) at the other.
    Two totally different distilleries and style.

More info please!
    Port Charlotte is heavily peated Bruichladdich, not Bunnahabhain (that’s Moine). Bruichladdich also have a super heavily peated range, Octomore.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    ...Octomore.
    I tried the 8.2 when I was in Glasgow last September, I also tried Ardbeg's Supernova when I was at the distillery a few days previous.

Definitely not a style that would suit all tastes and, for me at least, not whiskies that you start the evening with, such was the strength of flavours!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The Bunnahabhain arrived earlier today along with another GlenDronach, that brings me to this SOTWC.

SOTWC

L-R

Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaig Triple Wood, Laphroaig 8yr fino sherry cask 56.1% (bottled using a vilanch when I visited the distillery last September), Laphroaig QC, Laphroaig 10, Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine, Jura Superstition, Amrut Fusion, Yamazaki 18, Springbank 15, Adnams Single, Glenfarclas 15, Kilkerran 12, Mitchell & Sons Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton, GlenDronach Allardice 18, Glenfiddich Solero 15 and a Dalmore 18.

A fair spread there, two or three were bought as gifts however the rest I've built up over a little while with others coming and going in the meantime. Despite having a good few to choose from I can easily go a couple of weeks without drinking any, I tend to have a dram only when I'm absolutely in the mood and on a non-school night so that I can relax and enjoy it more. Some of the above are staples - I'll never be without a Laph 10, Amrut Fusion, Kilkerran 12, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Springbank 15 and, now I've tried it, the GlenDronach 18. Four of those I have more than a single bottle of...
    Went out and bought a bottle of Amrut Fusion this afternoon on the strength of this. It’s damn good stuff. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Went out and bought a bottle of Amrut Fusion this afternoon on the strength of this. It’s damn good stuff. Cheers!
    It'll always have a place on my drinks shelf, glad that you're enjoying it!

any recommendations for single pot stilled whiskeys ? or single malts with a similar flavour profile ? ( heavy spiced )
    out of all the whiskeys ive tried over the years powers 12yrs is still probably my favourite (and not the most expensive) - i think ive killed my tastebuds with yrs of hot currys, most single malts have little to no flavour on my palate)

Port Charlotte is heavily peated Bruichladdich, not Bunnahabhain (that’s Moine). Bruichladdich also have a super heavily peated range, Octomore.
    Yep, Bruichladdich not Bunnahabhain!
    I'll have to pay more attention to the predictive options on SwiftKey

Craftsman
    I tried the 8.2 when I was in Glasgow last September, I also tried Ardbeg's Supernova when I was at the distillery a few days previous.

Definitely not a style that would suit all tastes and, for me at least, not whiskies that you start the evening with, such was the strength of flavours!
    I was lucky enough to try the 8.2 at The Wee Dram in Bakewell while on a family holiday last summer. It was certainly eye-opening (in more ways than one) but at £180 a bottle I didn’t think it was necessarily worth the premium over the Ardbeg Uidgedail or An Oa that I tried at the same time.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

This might be an expensive night...

I love this pub! Any guesses where I am?

Blog Entries

Whiskey

If I know you ...
    The Salisbury or The Lass ?
    I’’’’’ would wager it’’’’ is the former.
    ...With a picked egg.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 5th February 2020 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    If I know you ...
    ...With a picked egg.

z
    I suspect it's not even the same country.

That looks to be the far left hand side of the bar at pub in question and, if I remember correctly, the brass tap in the 'photo is for water.

Is it a coincidence that those particular whiskies are in the same shot? Geographically the distilleries are literally right next door to each other. I've a bottle of the Kilkerran 12 and tried the 8 when I was at that pub not too long ago...

The Pot Still, Glasgow.

Small hangover now...

I thought as such, same place as where I took the 'photo of the Octomore a few posts back.

I'd go back to Glasgow just to spend another evening or two there.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    If I know you ...
    ...With a picked egg.

z
    Ha ha if I was in Manchester you’d have been correct!

Craftsman
    Here's what I'm currently running with.

Big fan of the Caol Ila.

I've also got an unpictured bottle of Macallan Folio 5. Have yet to decide whether to drink or keep and put to auction at some point.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post

Big fan of the Caol Ila.

I've also got an unpictured bottle of Macallan Folio 5. Have yet to decide whether to drink or keep and put to auction at some point.
    I'd drink it, unless you plan to hold it for a long time the Folio 5 was not really a limited release, everyone who entered the ballot seems to have been allocated the bottle, it's also available in store

Craftsman
    It'll always have a place on my drinks shelf, glad that you're enjoying it!
    I haven’t really found anyone else who had it until now. I love it - a surprisingly full flavoured dram. It’s cheaper to buy it over here than in India!

Do either of you have any experience of the Paul John range? I’m trying to diversify a bit as I generally only drink Scottish whiskies.

Ardbeg 10 Yr old is at £37 in Sainsbury at the moment.

Master
    I've got a bottle of this on the go at the moment

So, the same price as it is on Amazon, year round?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    So, the same price as it is on Amazon, year round?
    No idea, I don't use Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I haven’t really found anyone else who had it until now. I love it - a surprisingly full flavoured dram. It’s cheaper to buy it over here than in India!

Do either of you have any experience of the Paul John range? I’m trying to diversify a bit as I generally only drink Scottish whiskies.
    Amrut's Fusion is the only Indian whisky I've ever drank to be honest, I haven't even tried any of their other offerings. The Paul John range appears to get good reviews on, for example, masterofmalt however the issue I find with such reviews is that you never know how qualified or experienced the reviewer is.

I'd be willing to give one a whirl however I feel like I need to get through a couple of other bottles I have before buying another!

No idea, I don't use Amazon.
    Well you should. Ardbeg 10 YO is only £37, year round.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Well you should. Ardbeg 10 YO is only £37, year round.
    I don't use Amazon, for the same reasons that I don't use Starbucks, Sky, (or any Murdock enterprises).

Don’t normally drink midweek, but so cold tonight and there was the dregs of this .... so couldn’t resist

Luckily I’ve got a Bowmore 18 to open - my favourite winter whisky .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glendronach 15 (Revival) is the pick of the 'Dronach range in my opinion, only recently been brought back after shortage of stocks at the Distillery. I think I paid about 55 quid for my last bottle.

On another note, and seeing the interest in Scotch on the forum, would anyone be interested in a semi-regular Whisky 'club' in London? I used to run a monthly tastings in Singapore which was a great opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and sample 4-5 Scotches on an eve (I find a friendly pub venue who will entertain our group sans corkage and we chip in for some food there). Monthly maybe too frequent but perhaps once a quarter somewhere Central? PM me if interested and sorry to hijack the thread.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Deanston 18, for a light sweet easy drinking lovelyness IMO. Wife was recommended it while we were in Scotland, this could be a go to for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Glendronach 15 (Revival) is the pick of the 'Dronach range in my opinion, only recently been brought back after shortage of stocks at the Distillery. I think I paid about 55 quid for my last bottle.

On another note, and seeing the interest in Scotch on the forum, would anyone be interested in a semi-regular Whisky 'club' in London? I used to run a monthly tastings in Singapore which was a great opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and sample 4-5 Scotches on an eve (I find a friendly pub venue who will entertain our group sans corkage and we chip in for some food there). Monthly maybe too frequent but perhaps once a quarter somewhere Central? PM me if interested and sorry to hijack the thread.
    Glendronach seems rudely overlooked amongst a lot who seem more interested in fashionable brands. I have tried a couple of their expressions right down to their most basic 12 year and they never fail to knock my socks off in terms of sheer quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post

I’m a member of whiskyclub.london - great group of people there

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Deanston 18, for a light sweet easy drinking lovelyness IMO. Wife was recommended it while we were in Scotland, this could be a go to for me.
    I did the distillery tour a couple of years ago. Certainly one of the more interesting ones, well worth a visit.

I’m a member of whiskyclub.london - great group of people there
    Me too. Good people. Good tastings.

I'm not working tomorrow, in fact I'm not back until Friday next week.

I suppose that my weekend starts here, then.

Cheers

GS

48% antivirus!

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post

48% antivirus!
    ...and an Amazon bargain at the moment. Peat without the paint stripper. Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post

48% antivirus!

I'll see your 48% and raise you to 56.1%

Laph

I'll see your 48% and raise you to 56.1%

Laph
    Haha cheers!
    No drink for me after that weekend :(

Craftsman
    My tipple tonight

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Desperate times call for cautious measures.

This thread has been rather quiet lately, hope everyone is staying safe and enjoying a few drams.

Shortly after the lockdown I decided to gas all my decent opened bottles and put them to sleep and just sip away on the everyday stuff.

Currently working my way through a bottle of buffalo trace.