closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First come first serve on SC or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I get that you'd be miffed and I've never skipped a forum member for being new. What I have done before is skipped a long term, low post count member whose only contributions to the forum were in Sales Corner.
    I have also specified I'd be a picky seller in a sales thread too which I think was fair warning: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ean-1200m-Blue
    I had a couple of positives in the H&V at the time and certainly wasn’t a buyer only, I think the fact I had not experienced similar behaviour on the other hobby forums I’m on made it a bit of a surprise, I’m more likely to shrug it off now I know it’s normal behaviour.
    And if it stops the hoovers/profiteers then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I hoped the devilish face will make it clear it was a joke...
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt initially but if you were effectively being clever, it smells even more fishy.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt initially but if you were effectively being clever, it smells even more fishy.
    Whatever man, have a pleasant evening.

I'm on another forum (bicycle related) and there's definitely first come first serve basis visible. Thread opens, people just comment with ''dibs'', ''2nd dibs'' and it seems like most of it works that way. Sometimes, the seller doesn't want to post, and even though somebody was really fast with their ''dibs'', they don't get the item because another guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow etc... So, I guess it depends on the item, the seller. Everyone's different.

By the way - I still can't see the Sales Corner section (on my account) and once I can, I will be a forum hoover
    “Dibs” - the biggest waste of people’s time.

What they mean is “I’ll block other people, until I have time to ask Wifey-poo/my mate who wants one/I check my bank balance..........

Also, with lots of instances of people hoovering up sales here - to make a quick buck on EBay - It’s a natural progression to sellers checking a potential buyer’s history.

Oh for goodness sake. The seller can sell to who ever they want and for whatever reason. Simply says "dibs" does not give anyone the automatic right to buy.

Now if Eddie decides to make this a condition of SC, then fair play, however until then just allow sellers to do as they please.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

A lot of the "me first" people are parasites - the seller should deal with who they like.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    “Dibs” - the biggest waste of people’s time.

What they mean is “I’ll block other people, until I have time to ask Wifey-poo/my mate who wants one/I check my bank balance..........

Also, with lots of instances of people hoovering up sales here - to make a quick buck on EBay - It’s a natural progression to sellers checking a potential buyer’s history.
    I see your point and you are probably correct (probably, because I haven’t seen how the sale section works here), it makes sense when it comes to more expensive things - watches - in this case. The mentioned below cycling forum was formed around a London community as far as I know. The „dibs” seems to be working for them, and people even „undib” when they change their mind and nobody seems bothered. It does make sense to me as people, as well as the bikes, sell a lot of miscellaneous stuff, like jerseys, caps, tyres etc. This way if you go into a thread that has 3 people putting „dibs” already, you probably won’t bother asking for it. And from a seller point of view it seems like a time saving excercise as they don’t need to reply to 10 people asking about a pair of socks :-)

I see your point and you are probably correct (probably, because I haven’t seen how the sale section works here), it makes sense when it comes to more expensive things - watches - in this case. The mentioned below cycling forum was formed around a London community as far as I know. The „dibs” seems to be working for them, and people even „undib” when they change their mind and nobody seems bothered. It does make sense to me as people, as well as the bikes, sell a lot of miscellaneous stuff, like jerseys, caps, tyres etc. This way if you go into a thread that has 3 people putting „dibs” already, you probably won’t bother asking for it. And from a seller point of view it seems like a time saving excercise as they don’t need to reply to 10 people asking about a pair of socks :-)
    Nobody here cares what other forums do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Nobody here cares what other forums do.
    Fair enough. I’m only new here, so cut me some slack, I didn’t know engaging into conversation with your own opinion is frowned upon here. Won’t do it again.
    And if I will, somebody will quickly put me back in my place very quickly.
    Loving it here so far :-)

Fair enough. I’m only new here, so cut me some slack, I didn’t know engaging into conversation with your own opinion is frowned upon here. Won’t do it again.
    And if I will, somebody will quickly put me back in my place very quickly.
    Loving it here so far :-)
    Oh we are very welcoming - I just don't want you to think that a) anyone here had any power to change how the community work and b) anyone is interested (partly because of A).

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Oh we are very welcoming - I just don't want you to think that a) anyone here had any power to change how the community work and b) anyone is interested (partly because of A).
    I see you speak for everyone...

a) who said anything about changing how the community works? The OP asked a simple question, which I feel I answered adding an example from my perspective.
    And b) maybe you should start looking into what other forums are like and learn how to chill out a bit? Just a thought.
    To me, forum is a friendly community within which you can speak about different matters, have different opinions and have some level of mutual respect which makes it all possible. I must say that during my month on here I’ve noticed the last part is lacking a bit. Quite shockingly so.

Rant over, I’ll get me coat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm on another forum (bicycle related) and there's definitely first come first serve basis visible. Thread opens, people just comment with ''dibs'', ''2nd dibs'' and it seems like most of it works that way. Sometimes, the seller doesn't want to post, and even though somebody was really fast with their ''dibs'', they don't get the item because another guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow etc... So, I guess it depends on the item, the seller. Everyone's different.
    :
    Sounds like retrobike. Nobody has ever lowballed me on that forum or even made an offer iirc. I have sold a lot there (including a watch it two) and it's all at asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Sounds like retrobike. Nobody has ever lowballed me on that forum or even made an offer iirc. I have sold a lot there (including a watch it two) and it's all at asking price.
    LFGSS, but exactly the same experience with countless transactions either way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like to check H&V, check for posts in any ongoing brexit threads, read their last ten posts in the draft thread, read their last ten posts on any subject, check their wife behaviour in the dear wife thread, interview their wife's tennis partners & yoga coaches, then just sell to someone else entirely.

And that's just for one manky single size 9 1/5 brogue.
    Imagine if I had a nice watch to sell.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Because in most cases that would be inaccurate: I haven’t sold much here (if anything) but I used to sell a lot more on a knife forum. Although I had a few names ‘on ze list’, I would most of the time wait at least a couple of hours and up to a day before checking my messages. If no name stood out (people I knew IRL, people I’d dealt with before, etc.) I would take the first pm received. But that was fairly rare.
    Rq: knife selling is more delicate than watch from a legal perspective so selling to someone you don’t know is more risky.
    I bought from you on BB, shame it is no more. It was always rather worrying selling to newbies, especially anything of a less UK friendly variety. Always worrying it was to a closet mall Nina who would do something stupid.

Or a ‘journalist’ (I use the term loosely) getting an under 18 to buy a knife online...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

To me, forum is a friendly community within which you can speak about different matters, have different opinions and have some level of mutual respect which makes it all possible. I must say that during my month on here I’ve noticed the last part is lacking a bit. Quite shockingly so.

Rant over, I’ll get me coat.
    yes - it's why it's a favourite for so many of us. If you like something a bit more cuddly - the watch forum is a good shout - it's like Prozac.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Agreed. Never a problem on RB. As with here there is the high value esoteric American stuff which can make silly money, similar to Rolexes with "flat 4" or "rail dials etc".
    This place is different though.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk