closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kids Audio book suggestions - specific

Kids Audio book suggestions - specific

My son has Aspergers and we’ve found that on car journeys audio books calm him completely and he loves them. He’s 12 yrs old and we’ve listened to the normal ones

Harry Potter
    Narnia
    Golden compass
    Wizards of once

And we are on the final book of the quite wonderful Alex Rider series of books.

With Xmas coming up I’d welcome suggestions for any series box sets that might suit a 12/13 yr old boy. We looked at other books by the author of Alex Rider but they were £20 a book which was stupid really (Alex Rider 9 books was £30).
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 1st December 2020 at 09:35.

Master
    What about the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings? The Rob Inglis narrated versions are excellent.

You could go on a veerrryyy long journey with LOTR!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    What about the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings? The Rob Inglis narrated versions are excellent.

You could go on a veerrryyy long journey with LOTR!
    He loved the films so that’s an option thanks!

Master
    I’d strongly recommend some Dickens; books like Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol would, I think, be excellent. But it depends on his influences and interests. Good, traditional English books that all children should know and read. OT is surprisingly good and I re-read it every couple of years. An audiobook might make it an easier introduction to Dickens.

Artemis Fowl, you can get the books or audible versions from Amazon.
    My 10 year old loves them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Artemis Fowl, you can get the books or audible versions from Amazon.
    My 10 year old loves them.
    Don’t know that one - will look it up

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I’d strongly recommend some Dickens; books like Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol would, I think, be excellent. But it depends on his influences and interests. Good, traditional English books that all children should know and read. OT is surprisingly good and I re-read it every couple of years. An audiobook might make it an easier introduction to Dickens.
    I think an aunt might be getting him those actually

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I think an aunt might be getting him those actually
    Brilliant! I think he’d love to hear A Christmas Carol at that age. Then he can (re) watch The Muppet Christmas Carol and maybe next year you could try to see if he’d read a paper copy! Oh, to be 12/13 again and discovering Dickens for the first time!

Journeyman
    Ender's Game is great (as is the film), the Maze Runner series and, depending on the kids, the Hunger Games is aimed at young teens.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Oh, and Ready Player One

As a side note if you use Audible you can buy credit's each month for £7.99. Anything from 1 to several I believe. Also there are times you can buy extra credits which is usually 3 for £18.00.
    1 credit get's you any book you want No matter what price it is.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

The old 1980's BBC version of Lord of the Rings is great, i have it on CD and used to listen to it quite often on long journeys.

The Wee Free Men series featuring Tiffany Aching is a great intro to Disc World.
    I remember reading these to my daughter about that age after going through Roald Dahl books and she loved them, they were very funny.

He might need to be a bit older, but War of the Worlds in a good listen. Jeff Wayne’s musical version.

I remember driving round Cornwall driving a bit further each time to hear more...

Kids Audio book suggestions - specific

Star Wars Original Radio Drama 1981

https://archive.org/details/08Episod...thStarsTransit

Edit: Sorry, I see now this is for a gift, and this may be out of print. eBay appears to have used sets of the complete trilogy on CD, but they can be pricey.
    Last edited by williemays; 1st December 2020 at 14:50.

Some great suggestions there guys - discworld made me smile. Will def look into those and some of the others also.

Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    Oh, and Ready Player One

Is this just one novel ? Long or short? Looks good

Master
    The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and sequels
    A wrinkle in time and it's sequels
    A box of delights - appropriately xmassy

If he's into sci-fi and they are available then the Heinlein 'juveniles' (have space suit will travel, Citizen of the galaxy, farmer in the sky, tunnel in the sky, et al) are great.
    Asimov and Clarke also did books aimed at younger readers too.

Also A wizard of Earthsea
    Last edited by julian2002; 1st December 2020 at 16:43.

Journeyman
    Is this just one novel ? Long or short? Looks good
    Just one novel, though I think a sequel is about to be / was recently released. It's not especially long but is a great underdog story with loads of 80s pop culture and gaming references all the way through. I watched the film with my 11 year old and he loved it too, despite not getting most of the references!

He may enjoy the Terry Pratchett ones narrated by Neil off "The Young Ones."

Journeyman
    thank you very much for the recommendations, it's very helpful for me! I recently got an assignment from a college to compile a bibliography of the best books for children. This was my homework assignment. It is quite difficult to find a student who has never encountered even a minor problem in completing their assignments. It is often not even the topic or the number of good sources that is an issue, but those odd grading details and formatting styles that can easily reduce the final grade. My friends advised me to check out https://assignmentbro.com/us/homework-help which has an excellent team of trained experts in their respective academic fields. They are ready to help you with any subject or type of homework by following your initial instructions. As a result, homework was done perfectly.
    Last edited by bobocat; 24th December 2020 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by bobocat View Post
    thank you very much for the recommendations, it's very helpful for me!
    Yup replies were all excellent - son has some Dickens, some Pratchett and the Ready Player One coming as a result

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    He may enjoy the Terry Pratchett ones narrated by Neil off "The Young Ones."
    I was about to suggest Terry Pratchett, though I prefer those narrated by Tony Robinson to Nigel Planer.

David Walliams has loads of books, so there's a rich supply if they float his boat.

He may like the Hitchhiker's Guide?

Also the BBC dramatisation of Tin Tin is good if you can find it

We did the whole of the BBC LOTR around France one year - its awesome and you can tell they adapted the BBC version for the movies

Simon

Simon you are a star. Hv left

Craftsman
    When I was a kid, the Dark is Rising series of books by Susan Cooper were my absolute favourite and having bought them for God-children more recently they certainly stand the test of time. There are five books in the series so plenty of audio-book listening and they were cited as influences on Harry Potter etc as they deal with a boy, Will Merriman, who is the 7th son of a 7th son and at 11 (I think) realises he has special powers and is fighting "the Dark" as one of the last warriors of the light. They made a really quite poor big-budget film of it a few years back but the books are richer and more nuanced than you'd imagine children's literature being. The Dark is Rising itself is book two I think and was the first book I ever bought with my own money.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    When I was a kid, the Dark is Rising series of books by Susan Cooper were my absolute favourite and having bought them for God-children more recently they certainly stand the test of time. There are five books in the series so plenty of audio-book listening and they were cited as influences on Harry Potter etc as they deal with a boy, Will Merriman, who is the 7th son of a 7th son and at 11 (I think) realises he has special powers and is fighting "the Dark" as one of the last warriors of the light. They made a really quite poor big-budget film of it a few years back but the books are richer and more nuanced than you'd imagine children's literature being. The Dark is Rising itself is book two I think and was the first book I ever bought with my own money.
    Are they available as a full set?

My children loved Rik Mayall reading virtually anything. George's Marvellous Medicine is on YouTube and it's still funny although better for the under 10s.

I've moved to Audible and am persevering with Stephen Fry's reading of Sherlock Holmes in the car. It's a very good app as you can precisely vary the reading speed of the contributors. One note of caution is the cost of the books. Through Prime, I think I received a preferential deal though. Highly recommended.

Craftsman
    Are they available as a full set?
    They are indeed. I looked them up on Audible - all unabridged it seems. There are five in total.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    When I was a kid, the Dark is Rising series of books by Susan Cooper were my absolute favourite
    Ha, that's a name i haven't heard in over 30 years. She grew up local to me and went to my middle school. Our school library was the 'Susan Cooper Library' when i was there