closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need a new pressure washer. Any advice appreciated.

Blog Entries

Need a new pressure washer. Any advice appreciated.

So (!) I need a new pressure washer and have been looking at two brands and 3 models. The Karcher K5, and the Draper 98678 and 98679. I know Karcher have a good rep but is the extra cost worthwhile? (the Draper I can get at very good discount) The main use would be cleaning paths and patios, although occasionally I might wash the cars instead of taking them to the local valet guys.

Any views or experiences with these would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Karcher haven’t got a good rep, most people find that they just survive the warranty.

Kranzle are the best and also very expensive, anything else is a compromise

Would say also look at Nilfisk, had one for about 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Karcher haven’t got a good rep, most people find that they just survive the warranty.

Strangely, I have had a Karcher for 9 years and it's still going strong without any issues.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Lots of threads on this. My £0.02 for value for money is Nilfisk, mid-priced and zero issues over many years

Craftsman
    nilfisk here to no issues at all

Another vote for Nilfisk. I've had my P150.2 for years now and it's great.

Just don't go near any paint chips on your car with it. :)

I'm waiting for my Nilfisk to die so that I can buy a Kranzle.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Strangely, I have had a Karcher for 9 years and it's still going strong without any issues.
    They seem to get some good reviews, not that cheap either for the model I looked at.

Master
    I wanted a Nilfisk but when I got to the shop they had run out of the two models I was interested in, so ended up buying a Karcher as I wanted one that day. A few little niggles but does what I need it two, I've given it a load of abuse and it still works.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys for the answers. Had seen the previous threads but was hoping someone had experience of the Draper models. Having looked at reviews of the Karcher models with all the app stuff it seems a bit overcomplicated for something to clean patios, paths and cars! Not many reviews of the Draper ones but they seem less hassle to operate so I'll probably try one of those. I'm sure the Nilfisk and Kranzle are great, but probably overkill for what I need.
    Thanks all.

Craftsman
    Husqvarna has worked well for us and Stihl attachments fit as an added bonus.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks guys for the answers. Had seen the previous threads but was hoping someone had experience of the Draper models. Having looked at reviews of the Karcher models with all the app stuff it seems a bit overcomplicated for something to clean patios, paths and cars! Not many reviews of the Draper ones but they seem less hassle to operate so I'll probably try one of those. I'm sure the Nilfisk and Kranzle are great, but probably overkill for what I need.
    Thanks all.
    Nilfisk won’t cost you anymore than the Karcher. I have one and it was less than £200 and I’ve never had a problem with it.

Craftsman
    Nilfisk D140.4-9 on offer at Costco for £199.

Master
    And whilst I would personally go Nilfisk ahead of Karcher, keep an eye on the Karcher Outlet store as sometimes the offers are so good there that it doesn't matter if it packs up after a few years https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/

I've had a K5 for 8 years that gets a few hours a month usage.

It's supposed to be able to feed in detergent as it runs, but that has never worked. However for everything else it does it has never skipped a beat.

I occasionally look at more powerful models, but since this one is going strong I can't really justify it to myself.

From my experience having owned a few makes, Nilfisk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Nilfisk won’t cost you anymore than the Karcher. I have one and it was less than £200 and I’ve never had a problem with it.
    Agreed I went for an E145. Think it was about £250 but came with patio washer, snow foam attachment etc.

I bought a karcher years ago cos I didn’t know any better. It still works fine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hey OOK

Saw this and thought of you

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...m_term=Nilfisk

Jim

Buy cheap, buy twice.

To be honest a good garden hose with an adjustable spray attachment is as potent as a budget Karcher. They huff and puff, leak, and break with impunity.

I should know. I had two, then bought a Kranzle 6 years ago that has performed flawlessly week in, week out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Hey OOK

Saw this and thought of you

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...m_term=Nilfisk

Jim
    Thanks, much appreciated but bought a Draper one today! Trust me to jump too soon!

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all for the great advice, bought a Draper 98678 as it was on offer. Time will tell if it was a good decision.

Craftsman
    I’ve a Kranzle K7 for the last 6 years. It’s an absolute tank, the last pressure washer I’ll ever buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

My last Karcher X5 lasted ten years, purchased a new from Wickes as they had an offer on.
    I used mine every week even winter when not freezing to clean three cars, summer time the T racer cleans the drive & patio.
    The sub £60 might be rubbish but invest in a decent one & you will be fine, three year warranty I believe as standard.
    Regarding Kranzel the cheapest one is £400 & you need extras on top.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    My last Karcher X5 lasted ten years, purchased a new from Wickes as they had an offer on.
    I used mine every week even winter when not freezing to clean three cars, summer time the T racer cleans the drive & patio.
    The sub £60 might be rubbish but invest in a decent one & you will be fine, three year warranty I believe as standard.
    Regarding Kranzel the cheapest one is £400 & you need extras on top.
    Over the years I had three, they all lasted about 18 months, I have heard several similar stories

The issue is that they cant be repaired, they are built as a disposable product.

Master
    I think the trick with pressure washers is to use them sympathetically, and get something water cooled. I've had a Karcher for 4+ years and ensure I don;t run it with no or low water pressure or have water pressure when it's going to be off for a while. Also blow out the water when storing so there's no freeze damage in winter.

I've just ordered this one with decent power, great reviews and a three year warranty:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-compac...05965496354400

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks, much appreciated but bought a Draper one today! Trust me to jump too soon!
    No worries. I’m sure the one you bought will do the job

All the best!

Jim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've just ordered this one with decent power, great reviews and a three year warranty:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-compac...05965496354400
    Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered. For my drive and patio I'm sure it will be more than adequate for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I think the trick with pressure washers is to use them sympathetically, and get something water cooled. I've had a Karcher for 4+ years and ensure I don;t run it with no or low water pressure or have water pressure when it's going to be off for a while. Also blow out the water when storing so there's no freeze damage in winter.
    Water blow out during winter is key I think. I have a Nilfisk (which I want to replace with A Kranzle when the time comes) and its been flawless, but sympathetically used, as above.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought a Nilfisk myself about six years ago, following advice in a similar thread here. It's been great.