closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England v Scotland

Blog Entries

England v Scotland

Was really looking forward to this remembering the history of the tie when i was a much younger man and?
    Gutless, lacked passion just a nothing game so reminiscent of last season and Kane the Spuds would be lucky to get a “ kinder egg” for him looking at the end of last season and the Euros so far poor sod looks like he is stuck with Spurs for ever.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

England will go out in the last 16. To be fair they were poor against a poor Croatia performance and tonight Scotland were the better team. Kane looks like his legs are gone, 150m you have to be joking. He is quite a heavy lad and won’t play beyond 32 and will just go downhill from here. Hope Chelsea or Man City buy him.

A terrible, terrible England performance. Lacked everything required to win a game. Kane's worst performance ever for club or country. Is he carrying an injury? Absolutely shambolic performance. We'll go out in the first knock-out round.

Master
    Not a good England performance. I’ve noticed it a fair bit over the last few years but there seems to be very little desire to move forwards, far too much passing backwards and keeping it in the English half, imo anyway.

Should never have started Sterling, Foden should never have been subbed as he was the only one willing to run at them and Rashfrod was as much use as tits on a nun. All you can say is that they didn’t lose.

Master

Excellent game :-)

Only sport I really watch nowadays is golf and I had Louie as FRL in the us open today at 55/1!

I thought I’d take a small part of my winnings and bet on a nil nil score at 10/1, hope it’s stayed that way at half time and consider cashing out depending on what they offered. Tried to cash out at 65 minutes and even though they offered it, it wouldn’t work. Tried on and off until the end! Oh well thanks mr bookie :-)

What a shocker. For all the supposed attacking talent England have (most of it left on the bench), that was a woeful. So slow & predictable.

Almost as if the few attacking players we had on the pitch had been told if they tried to take a player on or try anything remotely creative they would be dropped and never seen again.

Pass, pass, pass till you get to within 30yds of goal, then turn around and pass, pass, pass back to the Center halves. Rinse and repeat. We must have played about 1000 passes, but maybe had 10 touches in the Scotland box.

Fair play to Scotland, they were well organised and played well - if they had nicked a win we couldn’t really have complained.

They had no fire in their belly, assuming they were already going to win.

Not great but some harsh comments. This was the equivalent of a local derby. Form and ratings go out of the window in a battle for local pride. I don't think you can read much into this game.

If Calvin Phillips is an international class player well, let's just say I'd be in the market for an edible hat.

Get Kane off the captaincy, no passion or desire. Foden should never have come off

End of the tournament for Scotland. England? You've got to be in it to win it, and we still are. We won't win it though, what I've seen from the genuine contenders tells me that.
    F.T.F.A.

All on the Yes Man at the helm .
    Two defensive midfielders in front of a back four against the third worst ranked team in the tournament ?
    Takes off the best player in an England shirt whilst leaving on two ineffectual strikers because he’s scared to substitute them .
    He should’ve been sacked after the World Cup .

Master
    Rubbish match, embarrassing really, we are one of the favourites to win the thing and I can't see any other team being afraid to face us now.
    Foden, world class but being made to play too shallow, he needs runs into the box.
    Sterling... likewise, lingering on the outskirts and making no threats whatsoever.
    Kane. Jesus H Christ, if he's our best hope then we might as well stop now, absolutely shameful performance for his country, I barely heard his name mentioned. Hung way back hoping for the ball to be passed direct to his feet.

I've said a million times, international football should be a young man's game. By all means have experience at the back, but up front we need young, quick, hungry players willing to make exciting moves to make a name for themselves. The only player I'd remotely relate to that is Phil Foden. Thank god for that amazing save, Scotland really should have had that.

Actually, come to think of it we probably do need to calm down a bit. I’d forgotten that Uri Geller has been promising he would make it up to the Scots for making the ball move off the penalty spot in 96. He’s obviously still got it!

That was one of the most boring games I’ve ever watched

Delighted that Scotland have effectively now got a one match opportunity to progress. Draw about right and I think the choice to give Gilmour his debut was bold and proved correct. I think we surprised a few with how comfortable we were on the ball. ??

Blog Entries
    England to win the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Only sport I really watch nowadays is golf and I had Louie as FRL in the us open today at 55/1!

I thought I’d take a small part of my winnings and bet on a nil nil score at 10/1, hope it’s stayed that way at half time and consider cashing out depending on what they offered. Tried to cash out at 65 minutes and even though they offered it, it wouldn’t work. Tried on and off until the end! Oh well thanks mr bookie :-)
    Bookies will always beat you over time, they have been mugging people like you for decades. No offence

Am I the only one who just feels like this isn't really even a proper tournament somehow? Could be covid could be something else but its almost like no one cares

Not surprised by the performance at all. This is what England do. So much hype that they fail to deliver on. The Scottish lads ran their socks off whilst England had lots of possession in their own half and failed to create much where it matters.

Kane looked spent (or just not interested). I'd give him a rest him for the next game.

Southgate's team selection and tactics not good enough.

England to go out in the quarters in a penalty shoot out.

"Unlucky lads, maybe next time" headlines in the tabloids...
    Last edited by Tenko; 4th July 2021 at 18:08.

Blog Entries
    Well that was a tedious performance, looks like Southgate just drilled them on ‘sideways and back, sideways and back’ and took Foden off as he was going forward too much. Looks like he’s trying to bore his way to a semi/quarter final which is ridiculous given our attacking options, doesn’t look like Sancho is even going to get a look in

I thought Scotland played well!

Kane has nothing to prove - he looked tired but got no service at all and Rashford suffered similarly (and therefore also looked anonymous when he came on). Anyway, we'll keep him, thanks.

I thought we should have started with Grealish and Chilwell, and the substitutions were poor in that the wrong people came off. Foden in particular - WTF was Southgate thinking? Otherwise, it was always going to be a hard match given that it would have been perceived as all-out war from the Scots' perspective. I still think we have a chance, but must clearly do better.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th June 2021 at 08:02.

One of the BBC threads made me laugh…

A sloth moves faster than that England team

A Steglosaurus moves faster

Continental drift moves quicker!

Have you seen Jurassic Park? Those guys are pretty nifty

Yeah a fossilised one

My Gran can move faster than that lot and she died in 1993

Slower than my nan on the way to Lidl

I have to use two walking sticks and I move faster than England.

England have played two games with all the urgency of a 2nd class stamp

Southgate is such a cautious coach. Two holding midfielders against Scotland? One goal and not many more chances in two games!

There’ll be a post somewhere here after the last World Cup where I said we should thank him for what he’s done and let him go. We needed a coach at that point who could take us to the next stage / level.

England have been playing poorly like this for over a year now but Southgate refuses to try any other way.

Scotland were the better side last night. Honestly how anyone can think England might win this tournament or get to the final amazes me, compare our performances to Belgium, France, Italy, etc and we're way off. There is no spirit of 96 evident.

I'm going to the Czech game and will blindly hope for an improvement but when you look at the permutations of who we might play in the last 16 / quarters then it's clear we don't have much chance of going far when playing like this.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 19th June 2021 at 07:57.

Yesterday was another example of Southgates tactic of prioritising not loosing over trying to actually win the match.

England are a decently talented squad that are hampered by the limitations of the manager who is still dining out over a series of favourable fixtures to get a decent WC run ( which ended the second they played a half decent team) and being placid / dull enough not to make any waves in the media

The Czech game will probably be very dull; both teams only need a draw to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    England to win the Euros.

The only €s the England team will win is playing cards in the team hotel of an evening.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Yesterday was another example of Southgates tactic of prioritising not loosing over trying to actually win the match.

England are a decently talented squad that are hampered by the limitations of the manager who is still dining out over a series of favourable fixtures to get a decent WC run ( which ended the second they played a half decent team) and being placid / dull enough not to make any waves in the media
    To give Southgate some credit, England's overall performances and results in 2018 were a night and day improvement over the previous 10 years of tournaments (even allowing for the easier route to the Semis). The quality of the squad was improving at that point but also pretty limited.

Whilst still having some limitations, the current squad has much more depth, with exciting young talent coming through and it will be even better in 2-4 years. I suspect Southgate will be given another 2 years at least by the FA no matter what happens so doing well at the next World Cup can be written off too.

We've heard before about England managers wasting the talent at their disposal before though and the problems go deeper than just the manager.

When you consider that we've not beaten a top side in a knock out game since 1966 you start to realise that we're really just not very good at tournament football when it matters. Our general record in the Euros is appalling.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 19th June 2021 at 08:35.

Weren't Holland and Spain top sides in Euro '96?

I take your point though.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    When you consider that we've not beaten a top side in a knock out game since 1966....

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Weren't Holland and Spain top sides in Euro '96?

I take your point though.
    Yes but we beat Holland in a group game and Spain was a draw and a lucky one too.

Master
    Disclaimer, I don’t know much about football, I’m a rugby guy.

So, is it possible there’s a lot of ‘shadow boxing’ going on in these group games? The old cliche, you can’t win a tournament in the group stages but you can lose it sort of thing?

Is it possible they might be holding something back either tactically or player wise for the knock out stage? If not, then England look to be in a bit of trouble.

Post#27

I agree with this mostly. I like the fact that he's giving younger talent the opportunity to prove themselves alongside a few veterans. Unfortunately there were few willing to drive forward and take the chances needed. For years it was the same old team and for years we did very little. Much like the old England Rugby team of old mates. I don't think we should forget the fact that Scotland were also a good team of very professional players who were waiting to take any opportunity given. A dull game but looking forward to the next one when hopefully Southgate will refer to TZ and take our advice!
    Last edited by manganr; 19th June 2021 at 08:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Kane has nothing to prove

I'm sorry, was this written after quite a lot of alcohol?
    Maybe for Tottenham he can lollop about as he pleases, but for his country he needs to prove himself EVERY GAME. There is absolutely no room for a striker who won't chase the ball or carve out space - he was utterly woeful. Maybe he should wear his magic golden boots. Or get Southgate to build the entire team around his style of play.

He’s got everything to prove, you can just stroll in to one tournament on the back of success of a previous one and hope everything will be ok. In his defence the entire team were flat with the exception of Foden which probably didn’t help. The puzzling thing is why he consistently fields Sterling, it seems all he’s good for his picking the ball up in the middle of the pitch, does a few fancy moves and ultimately fumbles the ball to the opposition just outside the box.

The only highlight of the night was Graeme Souness's teeth! I had to adjust the brightness on the TV.

My wifes knows even less than me about football so basically knows nothing but she did watch the game last night because there was nothing else she wanted to watch and she couldent understand why they took the best player off, the man with blond hair (Foden) all I could tell her was that the experts know more than us :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    The only highlight of the night was Graeme Souness's teeth! I had to adjust the brightness on the TV.
    Lol! I noticed his teeth as well. Looking good!

Souness, heading towards 70! A very dapper chap these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I'm sorry, was this written after quite a lot of alcohol?
    Maybe for Tottenham he can lollop about as he pleases, but for his country he needs to prove himself EVERY GAME. There is absolutely no room for a striker who won't chase the ball or carve out space - he was utterly woeful. Maybe he should wear his magic golden boots. Or get Southgate to build the entire team around his style of play.
    If you're serious, then it's clear that you know nothing about Kane whatsoever.

I'm not saying he had a good game, by the way, but he had virtually no service and - as I said above - Rashford was equally ineffective when he came on. A midfield without any creativity will always make strikers look poor.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Pass, pass, pass till you get to within 30yds of goal, then turn around and pass, pass, pass back to the Center halves. Rinse and repeat. We must have played about 1000 passes, but maybe had 10 touches in the Scotland box.

Fair play to Scotland, they were well organised and played well - if they had nicked a win we couldn’t really have complained.
    This ^ a boring game, where's the passion? They couldn't string one decent attack. Kane touched the ball 19 times.
    They all need a good talking to, overpaid prima Donnas.☹️

I thought Scotland played well . England need to improve .

Scotland were committed and had a game plan. England looked like strangers to each other and no plan.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Good summary.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Scotland were committed and had a game plan. England looked like strangers to each other and no plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Souness, heading towards 70! A very dapper chap these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Didn't he a major heart bypass a while ago??

He did, quite a few years ago now. He looks better at 68 than I do at 49!

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Didn't he a major heart bypass a while ago??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    He did, quite a few years ago now. He looks better at 68 than I do at 49!
    How many face lift's has he had.

England had so many many chances to win that match, but failed . They really need to step up to the mark, if they are going to get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post

Others have mentioned it, I think England's plan is not to lose or lose by too much when they meet France, Portugal or Germany.

I'm not convinced that the central defenders are confident in the goalkeeper nor the central midfielders in the central defence. Pickford is a calamity waiting to happen, ranging out of the box, trying to play the ball, slicing hoofs to the opposition. I can see a smart European lobbing him and Stones untangling Pickford from the back of the net a la Marshall. My memory of last night is Sterling skipping up and down on the spot, going nowhere, back to goal until he fluffed it or a big Jock gave him a shove. No spearhead, no service for Kane. Is Kane a leader on the pitch? Are Grealish, Sancho and Bellingham really the saviours? Were James and Shaw better than Walker and Trippier? Southgate's masterplan to liven things up and bring fear to the opposition? Henderson? Might even see Maguire back, although I hope not, unfit players rushed back have never been successful for England.

I suspect the trauma and disappointment to continue. Could be some decent semis though.

Master
    It was a stunning game plan by England...they don't want to win the group and then play Portugal France or Germany in the next round but finish runners up so they will play Sweden or Slovakia in the next round(possibly Spain if they improve)