closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sports watch?

Sports watch?

Doing a little research into a watch I liked on SC recently, I read 4 or 5 reviews who all, almost to excess, kept describing it as a Sports Watch.

It was so striking, I almost suspect they are given some scripting guidelines by the manufacturer... or Jeremy Clarkson

Anyway, before I say what watch, what do you think constitutes a Sports Watch?

Or is it simply part of the absolute marketing waffle, as we never actually do anything but imagine ourselves as adventurous sea-dwelling astronaut railmaster pilots, whilst sat at our desks punching the QWERTY and trying not to scratch out clasps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think a sports watch is something I can do everything with. I prefer to use the word tool watch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    These days a lot of watches have been environment / water ingress toughened to be an equivalent of a sports watch. One company who I believe have a virtual entire range are Certina with minimum 100m WR and most of the range at 200m.
    The Aqua Terra IMO was a classic sports watch in its 2500 series but now is going more and more glossy
    The Longine Conquest I’d say fits the bill as well

Blog Entries
    Must have brushed centre links - none of those watches with PCL count as a sport watch (IMHO)

or someone has made this: https://chronometercheck.com/what-is-a-sports-watch/
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th May 2021 at 20:35.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

It`s a timepiece that complements the style of stay-press action slacks and a golfing cardigan from the Alan Partidge Sports-Casual collection at M&S.

Master
    For classic watches, it really means very little if anything. You might not want to wear a mechanical watch for anything too active, but anything quartz is no problem.
    The only REAL sports watches these days are things like Fitbits and similar clever bits of black plastic.

I guess it's what the older folks would have described as "an everyday watch" but that doesn't sound cool enough any more ;)

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    It`s a timepiece that complements the style of stay-press action slacks and a golfing cardigan from the Alan Partidge Sports-Casual collection at M&S.
    Yeh, the one I have is closer to this than for wearing speelunking - ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Must have brushed centre links - none of those watches with PCL count as a sport watch (IMHO)

or someone has made this: https://chronometercheck.com/what-is-a-sports-watch/
    I don’t think I tick any of those boxes (other than not having PCLs)

This is the “sports watch” in question.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    This is the “sports watch” in question.

Good example. I mean one obvious candidate category are the integrated sports watch - ie the genta derived watches.

I have one that I count as a sports watch. This Ingenieur -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

simply part of the absolute marketing waffle
    If I'm wearing a smart outfit I'd pick the Submariner, when I'm engaged in a sporting activity I wear an Apple watch.

Brands would define sports watches as those designed for sporting activities, mostly motorsport, diving, exploring. Historically they'd have anti-shock movements and chunkier cases than their formal wear counter parts.

Other styles can be categorised as 'Dress watches' for formal occasions, 'Pilot/travellers watches' such as Fliegers and GMTs, 'Military Watches' those built to a MilSpec or similar.

That covers the most common styles, some watches don't sit in any category, other might fit in to a few.

Many will rate something at 100m waterproof and thereby identify it as a sports watch. In the same way snooker is a sport. Beers, fags and a waistcoat, the sign of an athlete.

My SD I’d say is a sports watch, as I’ve used it while free and scuba diving. For every other sport it’s the Fenix.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Robust enough to take a few knocks and waterproof enough to get a bit wet. Helps if it has brushed links, a cyclops, a ceramic bezel and must be comfortable sat on a cushioned surface on the worktop whilst the owner loads the dishwasher just in case any sharp edges give it a hairline or any rogue drops of water get it a bit damp.
    In reality it’s pure marketing waffle for a watch that you can do all your usual daily tasks in, but probably won’t. Practically any modern watch would do the same job. How many sportsmen do you actually see wearing the watch they’re paid to promote whilst competing? They don’t, but it makes nice viewing seeing them put them on before stepping onto the podium.

To me, it’s a catch-all term for ‘not a dress watch’.

Master
    As someone just said ‘pure marketing waffle.’ It’s the same process as people marching around in track suits and ‘trainers’ and driving big SUVs around urban areas. All a triumph for marketing companies. But that’s what sells.....
    Mind you, as someone wearing a Yachtmaster, I’m guilty as charged. Don’t even own a lilo. My partner has a canoe, and she wears an Oyster Perpetual. Which is (officially) not a ‘ sports’ watch. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    How many sportsmen do you actually see wearing the watch they’re paid to promote whilst competing? They don’t, but it makes nice viewing seeing them put them on before stepping onto the podium.
    Only those sponsored by Richard Mille.

It hit me thinking about F1 where the drivers have a picture of their watch on their racing gloves and only put the water h on post race.

Is this just to save a few grammes or are the watches not up to the job of driving round a race track?

A toughish, 3 hander with a bracelet and a plain (or no) bezel?

It's a meaningful as SUV or Sports Jacket.

I've dived in my Longines HC, it's got polished centre links on the bracelet - I'll hand in my membership now... (or maybe I'm OK, because that's a DIVER, not a Sports Watch?)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    I think when many people thing/talk of a sport watch they often have in mind a diver. Divers do at least have a sport or activity in mind and are designed for it, but unless your watch's design is specifically and uniquely necessary for sport, it really isn't a true sport watch. Proper sport is inherently risky for a watch, so the cheaper the watch, the more suitable it is for sport. The final thing is lightness - which is why, honestly, I think cheap casios (and not even g shocks) are the best watches for sport.

In more codified times, one would dress for dinner or an appointment. If a gentleman wore a watch, it would be slim, simple and refined - like his suit.

Neither waterproofing nor ruggedness would be a requirement for such occasions, which are indoors. (Even if available, the idea of wearing something with a bezel, pushers or exaggerated size and toughness would be as gauche as pairing your bespoke suit with hiking boots.)

For the weekend though and to outdoor pursuits. A roomier-fitting sports jacket of more resilient materials would be appropriate. Hence the concept of a "sports watch", being tougher and more suitable for outdoor activities. Polo, shooting, that kind of thing. The Reverso being the first of many designs originally intended to survive a specific activity or sport.

All largely irrelevant today of course.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IMO a "sports watch" is non precious metal, static bezel and 100m WR minimum.

I think once you get into moveable bezel territory it shifts to tool watch like a diver / gmt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Only those sponsored by Richard Mille.

It hit me thinking about F1 where the drivers have a picture of their watch on their racing gloves and only put the water h on post race.

Is this just to save a few grammes or are the watches not up to the job of driving round a race track?
    Weight and maybe safety as well, probably don’t want a chunk of metal on your wrist in a big shunt. Also you aren’t
    going to use it while your in the car.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 7th May 2021 at 21:39.

Sports watch = Garmin / G-shock / F-91W