closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Master
    Paper receipts and plastic cards are an anachronism. They are so easy to forge that it is unbelievable.

The way forward is the same as your mobile phone security, thumb or finger recognition. You buy the Rolex, the AD digitally records your thumb and that can tell any other AD anywhere in the world that you are the genuine original owner.

Papers and cards are ludicrous in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Paper receipts and plastic cards are an anachronism. They are so easy to forge that it is unbelievable.

The way forward is the same as your mobile phone security, thumb or finger recognition. You buy the Rolex, the AD digitally records your thumb and that can tell any other AD anywhere in the world that you are the genuine original owner.

Yet another problem that can be solved with .... [drumroll] .... blockchain!

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Warranties are transferable. I doubt anyone will offer their thumb as part of the package.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Warranties are transferable. I doubt anyone will offer their thumb as part of the package.
    If they won't offer their thumb, they go without the warranty - easy peasy on that one.

If appears that during 2019, the production of security print plummeted as it is, by its admission, open to fraud.

Thumb recognition is being looked at for replacing everything such as keys for your front door, car doors, car ignition and even credit card purchase by replacing your PIN. Offering your thumb is going to become a part of daily life.
    Last edited by Mick P; 23rd December 2019 at 10:36.

If they won't offer their thumb, they go without the warranty - easy peasy on that one.

If appears that during 2019, the production of security print plummeted as it is, by its admission, open to fraud.

Thumb recognition is being looked at for replacing everything such as keys for your front door, car doors, car ignition and even credit card purchase by replacing your PIN. Offering your thumb is going to become a part of daily life.
    What an idiotic statement. ADs are legally obliged to offer warranty to retail customers, they will never be able to force you to offer your thumb or to ask seller and buyer to come to the store to register a new thumb for the warranty.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What an idiotic statement. ADs are legally obliged to offer warranty to retail customers, they will never be able to force you to offer your thumb or to ask seller and buyer to come to the store to register a new thumb for the warranty.

Complete and utter nonsense.
    I see you are playing the smart ass again.

The decision whether to make a sale or not is down to the buyer and the seller.

It is perfectly legal for a buyer to invalidate his protection by refusing to comply with the terms of a sale. Therefore the buyer has the choice of not to buy or he can render the warranty invalid by refusing to offer his thumb. His choice.

I see you are playing the smart ass again.

The decision whether to make a sale or not is down to the buyer and the seller.

It is perfectly legal for a buyer to invalidate his protection by refusing to comply with the terms of a sale. Therefore the buyer has the choice of not to buy or he can render the warranty invalid by refusing to offer his thumb. His choice.
    The AD cannot force the thumb on the first buyer and they cannot invalidate the warranty because the subsequent buyer doesn't want to give his thumb either. Warranty is a legal requirement and cannot be made subject to conditions (not even the presence of the warranty card as long as the buyer can prove the purchase date).

What is so difficult about that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Been to my AD at least 5-6 times now since the news broke out and have even bought a few things from them. No mention of warranty cards at all still...
    Doesn't sound like you're asking the right questions

Master
    Been to my AD at least 5-6 times now since the news broke out
    5/6 times since last week?! Or did I see the announcement late.

Blog Entries

The WATCH is warrantied - not the purchaser. You don’t need to prove ownership of a watch to get warranty cover.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The WATCH is warrantied - not the purchaser. You don’t need to prove ownership of a watch to get warranty cover.
    Then why all the fuss over retaining cards.

Because some people are anal about ‘a complete package’
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Doesn't sound like you're asking the right questions
    Haven’t asked - particularly cause I’m not in any rush to obtain them but more importantly, wanted to see how long it will take them to mention it to me themselves if I never asked.

Haven’t asked - particularly cause I’m not in any rush to obtain them but more importantly, wanted to see how long it will take them to mention it to me themselves if I never asked.
    I ended up having to chase Goldsmiths for my warranty card in the end. I was never desperate for it but by month 13 I thought that was enough time to conclude that they weren't going to ring me first.

You completely missed my point. I was talking about the secondary market.

I popped in with chocolates and my AD returned my warranty card without me asking (and before I'd brought out the chocolates).

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I popped in with chocolates and my AD returned my warranty card without me asking (and before I'd brought out the chocolates).
    Are customers expected to buy gifts for shopkeepers now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That’s clearly where I have been going wrong...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Not at all , but many do on a regular basis as a thank you for good service.

Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

No expectations - I’m sure you don’t actually believe that. I also took chocolates into my local Skoda dealer and to the guys at the local refuse centre / tip. Great service and nice people.

Just reading the last 25 or so posts and I’m dumbfounded where we are, AD’s are being treated like some higher force, like they are the master of all........ HELLO!!
    YOU are the customer, YOU give them YOUR money, they need YOUR money to pay the bills, in yet YOU accept their silly games with waiting lists, this then makes YOU even more desperate, so when they SUMMON YOU to say your time has come YOU agree to anything they say, NO stickers, NO outer box, NO hang tag, NO WARRANTY CARDS!

To me it is madness, I have never and probably will never buy from an AD for reasons that I don’t like new watches, so I find it totally ridiculous that customers are being treated in such a way and even more crazy we accept it

Saying that I don’t entirely blame the AD’s, Rolex marketing has whipped up the frenzy and customers are cashing in, I feel this causes angst and jealousy amoung AD’s and the silliness begins..

Winner winner chicken dinner will always be Rolex, we just happily play their game!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Just reading the last 25 or so posts and I’m dumbfounded where we are, AD’s are being treated like some higher force, like they are the master of all........ HELLO!!
    YOU are the customer, YOU give them YOUR money, they need YOUR money to pay the bills, in yet YOU accept their silly games with waiting lists, this then makes YOU even more desperate, so when they SUMMON YOU to say your time has come YOU agree to anything they say, NO stickers, NO outer box, NO hang tag, NO WARRANTY CARDS!

To me it is madness, I have never and probably will never buy from an AD for reasons that I don’t like new watches, so I find it totally ridiculous that customers are being treated in such a way and even more crazy we accept it

Saying that I don’t entirely blame the AD’s, Rolex marketing has whipped up the frenzy and customers are cashing in, I feel this causes angst and jealousy amoung AD’s and the silliness begins..

Winner winner chicken dinner will always be Rolex, we just happily play their game!
    Let me run a scenario for you, it could be real or it could be fantasy! I go to an AD, they have a watch that I want , I ask the price , it is 40% more than retail ! I ask how come ? They answer it is pre-owned , but it still has all the stickers on it. My conclusion they sold it to a chum, who sold it back to them , so that they can make a nice chunck of profit. Create a false bubble and you create a lot of issues. Short term , there is a market gain as people buy any model as they think they can make a profit on it. Also AP and PP have also gained market share due to the market shortages.

On the subject of pre-owned, I am after a Turn-O-Graph , where do I buy a genuine one with papers. I am always afraid of buying something that does not have the original papers, or is this silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post
    On the subject of pre-owned, I am after a Turn-O-Graph , where do I buy a genuine one with papers. I am always afraid of buying something that does not have the original papers, or is this silly.
    What do you think papers prove?

How do they prove it?

Master
    Let me run a scenario for you, it could be real or it could be fantasy! I go to an AD, they have a watch that I want , I ask the price , it is 40% more than retail ! I ask how come ? They answer it is pre-owned , but it still has all the stickers on it. My conclusion they sold it to a chum, who sold it back to them , so that they can make a nice chunck of profit. Create a false bubble and you create a lot of issues. Short term , there is a market gain as people buy any model as they think they can make a profit on it. Also AP and PP have also gained market share due to the market shortages.

Faking a passable watch is not easy.

Faking papers is a piece of cake. Even Rolex would not know the difference.

Anyone who relies on a piece of paper as a source of comfort is a prize mug beloved by forgers.

What usually happens is that genuine watches without papers are resold with fake papers costing £50 max and resold for an extra £1000. Very profitable indeed. That watch is then innocently sold on again a few years later to another mug and then again ad infinitum. Everyone of them paying top price thanks to a cheap bit of paper.

If you don't trust your own judgement, play safe and buy from a reputable dealer.
    Last edited by Mick P; 24th December 2019 at 12:06.

What happened to your October resolution?

Hi

Fellow members of the forum have indicated that they are fed up of me talking about forged papers, so it's now firmly off the agenda.

However, feel free to pm me if you so wish. I did not work for HMRC but I worked for Royal Mail and was in charge of the purchase of Stamps.

Master
    What happened to your October resolution?
    True but helping someone from overpaying for a bit of worthless paper a few times a year is more helpful than rambling on daily about dual membership etc.

True but helping someone from overpaying for a bit of worthless paper a few times a year is more helpful than rambling on daily about dual membership etc.

You are correct; and the forum is forever thankful. These are some of the few times from 2019:

...fake papers...
    ...so easy to forge...
    ...forging original papers...
    ...fake documentation...
    ...fake papers...
    ...easier to fake...
    ...stickered with paper...
    ...papers which are a piece of cake to forge...
    ...faking papers is dead easy...
    ...set of papers...
    ...Fake booklet...
    ...mugs who assume that the papers on a watch are a sign of authenticity...
    ...fake papers...
    ...papers that can be easily faked...
    ...fake replica papers...

Oh, and there are these:

I have vowed never to mention fake p****s again because no one wanted to know.
    ...will mention it a lot less from now on. Repetition is the curse of TZ-UK.
    ...I have made myself a promise not to mention my most prolific topic...
    ...they are fed up of me talking about forged papers, so it's now firmly off the agenda...
    ...I no longer give a damn...

Master
    Raffe

This is the sort of creepy rubbish that should be restricted to the BP and it would be dead easy for me to do the same to you in reverse but I just can't be bothered.

However you are the master policeman around here and if you don't want me to contribute to this forum, I will just gracefully bow out. Life is too short to bother with someone like you.

The next buyer will also overpay so does add 'value' to the watch.

Raffe

This is the sort of creepy rubbish that should be restricted to the BP and it would be dead easy for me to do the same to you in reverse but I just can't be bothered.

However you are the master policeman around here and if you don't want me to contribute to this forum, I will just gracefully bow out. Life is too short to bother with someone like you.
    Forever playing the victim. Merry Christmas.

Master
    Forever playing the victim. Merry Christmas.
    You could cause trouble in an empty room...

Raffe

Don't pay any attention , stick around mate

👍🏻

[...]
    If you don't trust your own judgement, play safe and buy from a reputable dealer.
    If Rolex themselves cannot distinguish between real and forged papers (which I do not dispute), how can you be certain that the reputable dealer hasn't (innocently) taken in a real watch with forged papers, and is now selling them to you?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Faking a passable watch is not easy.

Anyone who relies on a piece of paper as a source of comfort is a prize mug beloved by forgers.

What usually happens is that genuine watches without papers are resold with fake papers costing £50 max and resold for an extra £1000. Very profitable indeed. That watch is then innocently sold on again a few years later to another mug and then again ad infinitum. Everyone of them paying top price thanks to a cheap bit of paper.

wise words indeed with so many fakes around.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all
    Can the AD lawfully hold onto the guarantee card for 12 months when you buy a watch even if you say no ?
    Legally they cannot.
    The card is the most important evidence to proff it is genuine.
    You bought it. It is no lease, rent or anything like that.

Imagine they loose it.... 😳

Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Legally they cannot.
    The card is the most important evidence to proff it is genuine.
    You bought it. It is no lease, rent or anything like that.

Imagine they loose it.... 
    Yes they could, by not telling the customer, telling them verbally (verbal contract) or some would give you a paper with such words, as discussed with a colleague, we will hold the original for 12 months and give you a duplicate ( due to trading standards intervention) . 2 Months ago as a result of a court case the judge ruled that, removing the certificate of authentication, is not lawful . Rolex informed all AD's to stop the process. A few members of this forum did not think there was a case in law, the judge obviously happened to be more qualified :-)
    Now there is a law of precedence .

Yes they could, by not telling the customer, telling them verbally (verbal contract) or some would give you a paper with such words, as discussed with a colleague, we will hold the original for 12 months and give you a duplicate ( due to trading standards intervention) . 2 Months ago as a result of a court case the judge ruled that, removing the certificate of authentication, is not lawful . Rolex informed all AD's to stop the process. A few members of this forum did not think there was a case in law, the judge obviously happened to be more qualified :-)
    That said some ADs are not releasing the warranty cards and are saying they have not been advised anything from Rolex themselves

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    That said some ADs are not releasing the warranty cards and are saying they have not been advised anything from Rolex themselves
    You have 3 choices, wait or tell them you will start Legal Proceeding against them, as there is a precedence in Law, it is an open and shut case and if they contest it, you will have costs awarded as well. But their lawyers will know that. Last option, call Rolex Customer Relations and mention the AD , let them deal with it.

You have 3 choices, wait or tell them you will start Legal Proceeding against them, as there is a precedence in Law, it is an open and shut case and if they contest it, you will have costs awarded as well. But their lawyers will know that. Last option, call Rolex Customer Relations and mention the AD , let them deal with it.
    Sorry, there is also a fourth option.
    Stop playing these ludicrous games and move on to another brand

Craftsman

I’ve bought Rolex three watches in the last two years , one warranty card held back but now returned , two warranty cards still held back but causing me no concern at all.

Next time I’m in town I might walk in and ask if they’ve changed their policy , that’s if I remember.

Some folk including you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, You worry too much about something relatively trivial , I’d be amazed in their lawyers knew they withheld the warranty card in the first place.

Before you bring legal precedents into the argument, I really couldn’t give a monkies.

2 Months ago as a result of a court case the judge ruled that, removing the certificate of authentication, is not lawful . Rolex informed all AD's to stop the process. A few members of this forum did not think there was a case in law, the judge obviously happened to be more qualified :-)
    There have been various mentions of this "court case" on here. Can you please let us know which specific case it was (especially if it was decided in a court which establishes precedence), as a number of us would like to read the court transcript and precise rulings for that case? If you could provide a link to the case, that would be even more helpful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    There have been various mentions of this "court case" on here. Can you please let us know which specific case it was (especially if it was decided in a court which establishes precedence), as a number of us would like to read the court transcript and precise rulings for that case? If you could provide a link to the case, that would be even more helpful.

Don’t hold your breath.

Master
    No more posts until there is an outcome from various bodies like Trading Standards . All I was doing is to point out there are options open to the buyers, based on various consumer protections laws. If nothing else, it will answer a few threads if it is legal or not, guess I will find out for sure.
    Did you bring a civil action?

Did Trading Standards enter into any correspondence?

If not you, what are the specifics of any case the was brought by anyone, against Rolex or main agent?

People are citing judgement and precedent, so let's see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

If not you, what are the specifics of any case the was brought by anyone, against Rolex or main agent?

Well something certainly changed, and it isn't like WoS and the like just decided to stop playing silly buggers in the spirit of Xmas. That said I'm surprised nothing has been found yet backing up this 'case' and w0rrybeads is definitely holding back something.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This might go some way to explain it

https://youtu.be/xlrcEEIhyis
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Well something certainly changed, and it isn't like WoS and the like just decided to stop playing silly buggers in the spirit of Xmas. That said I'm surprised nothing has been found yet backing up this 'case' and w0rrybeads is definitely holding back something.
    Yes, that it came from a friend of a cousin’s ex-husband’s brother, who got it direct from the court-reporter’s nephew’s friend who met with the brother down the pub - by chance.......... and after a few libations - related the true story.

I’m sold!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Sorry, there is also a fourth option.
    Stop playing these ludicrous games and move on to another brand

One of the best comments of 2019 IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Yes, it was a civil action
    yes to trading standards
    yes to ADR ! (you have to)
    Rolex are distributors, they did not hold back anything. The case was always against the AD's practice.
    on the last one, go and find it , because it mentions the AD and I am not prepared to disclose it.

Am I holding something back, yes.
    Are there AD's on this board masquerading as enthusiasts/customers, yes !

Funny on a Rolex discussion board a bright spark mentions the 4th option of not buying a Rolex , love it.

Right along I said, I will report back, which I have done.
    I guess no more discussions on Rolex AD's withholding Guarantee Card/Certificate of Authentication.
    Case closed, time to move on.

Master
    The case was always against the AD's practice.
    on the last one, go and find it ,
    Are you saying it's in the public domain? If so, just post a link.

Funny on a Rolex discussion board a bright spark mentions the 4th option of not buying a Rolex , love it.
    Although Rolex is a popular discussion topic, this isn't a Rolex discussion board.
    Last edited by David_D; 27th December 2019 at 14:17.