closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shower vs grower (or whatever the horological equivalent is)

Shower vs grower (or whatever the horological equivalent is)

The Bremont thread got me thinking, but I don't think adding further fuel to that fire would be helpful...

Anyway, I've been having a think, and I've realised that the watches that made me go "wow" when I first saw them only get occasional time on the wrist, whereas those that didn't make an amazing first impression, or were even a little disappointing, get worn the most.

Perhaps most apparent was my Speedmaster; I'll admit that my decision to buy one was in a large part because of the enthusiasm on here, and the deal on offer meant that if I didn't get on with it I could move it one without bearing a massive loss. When I picked it up, it felt a bit bland and rather insubstantial and I was disappointed.

i didn't wear it much but, over time, it started getting worn more and more and I came to really appreciate the simplicity of it, enjoyed winding it, enjoyed the balance on the wrist and it is now a firm favourite.

A couple of the others that didn't make a great first impression have grown on me in a similar way.

Anyone else had initial disappointment turn into long term joy? And similarly initial euphoria descend into apathy?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The Bremont thread got me thinking, but I don't think adding further fuel to that fire would be helpful...

Anyway, I've been having a think, and I've realised that the watches that made me go "wow" when I first saw them only get occasional time on the wrist, whereas those that didn't make an amazing first impression, or were even a little disappointing, get worn the most.

Perhaps most apparent was my Speedmaster; I'll admit that my decision to buy one was in a large part because of the enthusiasm on here, and the deal on offer meant that if I didn't get on with it I could move it one without bearing a massive loss. When I picked it up, it felt a bit bland and rather insubstantial and I was disappointed.

i didn't wear it much but, over time, it started getting worn more and more and I came to really appreciate the simplicity of it, enjoyed winding it, enjoyed the balance on the wrist and it is now a firm favourite.

A couple of the others that didn't make a great first impression have grown on me in a similar way.

Anyone else had initial disappointment turn into long term joy? And similarly initial euphoria descend into apathy?
    I don't keep them long enough to find out!!!

The watches I've obsessed over the most before buying are the ones that in the end I don't appreciate or wear. BLNR, Exp 1, Speedmasters moonwatch/hesalite, Tuesday, DSOTM, B5000.

The ones I picked up by chance are the ones I've bonded with the most and wouldn't be without. SLA021, no date Sub, SPB079, Rangeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    A couple of the others that didn't make a great first impression have grown on me in a similar way. Anyone else had initial disappointment turn into long term joy?

And similarly initial euphoria descend into apathy?
    Every watch I've bought has come with a big wodge of enthusiasm, and almost every watch that has gone has left me with affectionate memories.

The watch I've sold with the biggest fall off between my initial enthusiasm and my residual affection was the Max Bill automatic. Which surprises me.

If I had my time again I would try the 34mm manual rather than the 38mm auto - perhaps then the physical reality of wearing it would match closer to the aesthetic of the design? As it was, it felt strangely cumbersome, despite the short neat lugs.

In terms of a grower, to end on a more positive note, I was surprised by how fondly I thought of a Seiko 5 that I bought purely for pragmatic reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Every watch I've bought has come with a big wodge of enthusiasm, and almost every watch that has gone has left me with affectionate memories.

The watch I've sold with the biggest fall off between my initial enthusiasm and my residual affection was the Max Bill automatic. Which surprises me.

If I had my time again I would try the 34mm manual rather than the 38mm auto - perhaps then the physical reality of wearing it would match closer to the aesthetic of the design? As it was, it felt strangely cumbersome, despite the short neat lugs.

In terms of a grower, to end on a more positive note, I was surprised by how fondly I thought of a Seiko 5 that I bought purely for pragmatic reasons.
    That's very interesting to hear - I've been a big fan of the Max Bill, and Junghans in general. I've tried both the Max Bill automatic and chronoscope on and really like them, however I've not pulled the trigger yet. Will certainly reconsider again after hearing this aha

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    That's very interesting to hear - I've been a big fan of the Max Bill, and Junghans in general. I've tried both the Max Bill automatic and chronoscope on and really like them, however I've not pulled the trigger yet. Will certainly reconsider again after hearing this aha
    I'm still tempted by the idea of the 34mm manual - my wrists are only 6¾" and I'm wondering if the cool, urbane design only works when the case feels properly neat and trim on the wrist. For an all-dial design, 38mm is fairly big, after all.

Now I'm thinking about the watch, I've remembered something about it that never did disappoint: the anti-scratch coating on the acrylic crystal. When I sold it, it still looked brand new, like sapphire.