closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Blog Entries

What Brogues are you wearing then? **Sale Heads Up**

Always some good info on shoes on here and in the market for a pair of brogues for the winter.

I have some Barkers, Loakes for best, a pair of bargain Alex Shiltons for work which are all leather soled, I just need something with a heavier sole.

I don't want anything too chunky, just something for the cool, wet and ice when it gets here. I know its early but the winter stuff is hitting the shops.

Saw these yesterday and they seemed pretty good. Decent price, ped of Clarks with a not too heavy man made sole.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355946

Anyway, before I make a purchase anyone else tried a pair of these or idea's on anything else before I give them a look.??

Ta
    Paul
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 14th August 2016 at 13:18.

Master
    I bought a pair of Church's Grizedale boots for last winter. Stirling performance in a pebble grained leather. A winter of hard wear and still look and fell brand new. Can't go wrong with anything from Church's in my opinion.

Got a couple of pairs of Grensons and they are lovely. Both off ebay!

Craftsman
    Bought a pair of grensons for my wedding in four weeks. Very comfy right out the box.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zissou1981 View Post
    Bought a pair of grensons for my wedding in four weeks. Very comfy right out the box.
    Congrats matey and hope all goes well

Paul

Unless you're wearing a kilt then brogues are for coffin dodgers.

Craftsman
    I am pretty sure I had a pair of those a couple of years ago before I realised the benefits of investing a little more.

Regardless they were Clarkes and were returned, if I recall correctly the heel unit offered very little wear before exposing voids in the heel created from random scraps of plastic.

I now wear a pair of Barkers Livingstone, and Grenson Archie, money well spent..... keep an eye out for sales, especially at John Anthony!

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I bought a pair of Church's Grizedale boots for last winter. Stirling performance in a pebble grained leather. A winter of hard wear and still look and fell brand new. Can't go wrong with anything from Church's in my opinion.
    I second the admiration for Church products.
    My most comfortable pair of boots are Church; hand-crafted and tailor-made.
    Not for me unfortunately - I found them in the boot of a Humber Hawk I was given. But nothing that a few pairs of socks won't fix. Halls, naturally.

Master
    Sargeants or Trickers. Although for the money Loakes top brogues aren't bad (£205ish)

On the. Subject of shoes, I travelled down to Shoe Healers in Doncaster yesterday, bit of an Aladdins cave for better quality shoes . Crockett and Jones, Church, Barker, Cheyney , Saunder, Loake just to name a few and the service was excellent. Free shoes trees, polish, cloth, bag and a decent discount given though not asked for.

And yes, they have a very good website.

Good shoes are an investment. This picture of my Tricker
    double soled brogues was taken when the shoes were about twenty five years old, ten years on, they are still a pleasure to wear, and look amazing. Worn better then the wearer that's for sure.

Last edited by BrianT; 18th August 2013 at 21:24.

Craftsman
    Iv got a pair of cheaneys and love them! Would definitely recommend.

Looking to pickup some grensons but the sizing is throwing me off somewhat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Unless you're wearing a kilt then brogues are for coffin dodgers.
    Oh dear you really don't know do you
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post
    Iv got a pair of cheaneys and love them! Would definitely recommend.

Looking to pickup some grensons but the sizing is throwing me off somewhat!
    It does doesn't. Yesterday in Shoe Healers I asked for size 10, and ended up in a pair of Crockett and Jones 8.5"!! So much depends on the last used and the width fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Sargeants or Trickers. Although for the money Loakes top brogues aren't bad (£205ish)

On the. Subject of shoes, I travelled down to Shoe Healers in Doncaster yesterday, bit of an Aladdins cave for better quality shoes . Crockett and Jones, Church, Barker, Cheyney , Saunder, Loake just to name a few and the service was excellent. Free shoes trees, polish, cloth, bag and a decent discount given though not asked for.

double soled brogues was taken when the shoes were about twenty five years old, ten years on, they are still a pleasure to wear, and look amazing. Worn better then the wearer that's for sure.

Oh dear!

Craftsman
    It does doesn't. Yesterday in Shoe Healers I asked for size 10, and ended up in a pair of Crockett and Jones 8.5"!! So much depends on the last used and the width fitting.
    Exactly!! Went into grensons and asked for a 9.... Ended up wanted 7.5s but they didn't have any in store!!

Master
    For me, Grenson shoes (Archie) tend to be half a size larger than normal but their Fred Boots are true to size. I just treated myself to a nice pair of Alden "Indy" 403 boots which were also half a size down.

Best brogues for me have been my Trickers Bourtons, very comfortable and just feel great on

Craftsman

Clarks Brogues

I'm on my second pair of Clarks brogues - Dino Limit. I tried most of the brands mentioned on this thread but found them too 'hard' and couldn't bear the thought of the break in period. Very comfortable - don't know if it was the 'Active Air' insole or anything else - but there were the only shoes I found that I could wear straight out of the box and not be in pain.

Florsheim, Dexter and Hanover. All vintage, US made Longwings.

They might be a bit difficult to find in the UK, but Vass of Budapest can't be beat if you want a quality pair of handmade brogues.

The Clark's... well, you get what you pay for.

I had a pair of Clarks with that air sole thing actually collapse on me, the heel just came apart, so I wouldn't touch anything with those soles. If they're solid soles, then I doubt you'd have any problems with them.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    I've been looking for some shoes for work/formal and really like the look of some Barkers (think they are called Blake) like these - http://www.jonesbootmaker.com/barker...ced-2723420433

But have worn Clarkes for ages and they are really good right out of the box. They seem to last me for a while but are not so expensive that I get annoyed when its time to get another pair.

I like the look of the ones in the original post. Keep meaning to try a pair of the Barkers.

While we're here, anyone got an opinion or thoughts on Barkers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

While we're here, anyone got an opinion or thoughts on Barkers?
    I've got a couple of pairs of Barkers (I have waaaaay too many shoes!) from the Creative collection and a pair from the professional. They wear well but are a little stiffer than my others even after a fair bit of wear. Quality-wise I'd say they're very well made and a step up from the Loakes I had in a similar style before I got these.
    Last edited by SIB; 19th August 2013 at 15:24.

Master

Blog Entries
    Barkers are good and I have a pair of these

http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/ShowLa...ackCalf300.jpg

This place looks like it is now leaning me towards spending 3x what I was going to do.

First watches now shoes, what next???

Ta again

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I find that with proper shoes, you get your money's worth. I place a higher priority on what's on my feet than what's on my wrist.

Master
    [QUOTE=Pitch3110;2831403]Barkers are good and I have a pair of these

http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/ShowLa...ackCalf300.jpg

This place looks like it is now leaning me towards spending 3x what I was going to do.

Ta again

If you don't want to spend too much look at Loake 1660 collection " Ashby" at about £205.

http://www.loake.co.uk/ashby.html

Whilst I have a pair of Cheaney's I also have a pair of Geox brogues... breathable and supremely comfortable.

Rod

Anyone know anything about these? http://meermin.es/

They sure look like great value. Obviously if you live in UK you can propably find Loake, Church, Trickers etc from brick and mortar stores for good prices but not all of us are so lucky :I

A little bit of Italian flair?

http://www.ilgergo.it/uomo/brogue.html

If you are ever visiting Manchester, could I suggest that you telephone me for some advice; it falls somewhere between fashion and personal safety.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    If you are ever visiting Manchester, could I suggest that you telephone me for some advice; it falls somewhere between fashion and personal safety.
    The fashion police have a shoot on sight order out on him...

That shotgun looks photoshopped.

As for the rest, Gok Wan has gone for a lie down

Recently got a pair of NOS Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor Longwings in cordovan. Dating from the late 60s/early 70s. They are a work of art.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    The fashion police have a shoot on sight order out on him...

Well it's not.

Master

At first glance, I thought it was Eddie setting off to negotiate a "Truce" over the PRS-68 accusations ...

Master
    I thought it might amuse.

At least it scares the Peasants shitless..........wish it had the same effect on the Pheasants.
    Last edited by BrianT; 20th August 2013 at 15:06.

They can probably spot your exotic foot wear from several fields away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    They can probably spot your exotic foot wear from several fields away.
    Possibly.

However the picture was to demonstrate that good and I emphasise good, Brogues, even subjected to the rigours of game shooting can even after twenty five years look as good as new. No, in fact they look better, they mature and take on character, bit like me.................O.K. Joke.

Craftsman
    Always some good info on shoes on here and in the market for a pair of brogues for the winter.

I have some Barkers, Loakes for best, a pair of bargain Alex Shiltons for work which are all leather soled, I just need something with a heavier sole.

I don't want anything too chunky, just something for the cool, wet and ice when it gets here. I know its early but the winter stuff is hitting the shops.

Saw these yesterday and they seemed pretty good. Decent price, ped of Clarks with a not too heavy man made sole.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355946

Anyway, before I make a purchase anyone else tried a pair of these or idea's on anything else before I give them a look.??

Ta
    Paul
    No brown in town, not the done thing. I assume these are for the country?

Lawrence

Fashion advice.

On a watch forum.

Genius.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Fashion advice.

On a watch forum.

Genius.
    Fashion changes but style endures. I like to think it was good style advice but if someone wants to wear brown shoes in town, that's their prerogative. Remember that one can tell a lot about a person by what shoes they wear.

Lawrence

Blog Entries
    Fashion advice.

On a watch forum.

Genius.
    I think there is a lot to be gained from like minded folk and the George and Dragon is a hive of advise on all manner of things and topics. It is certainly my first port and has been for lots of sound opinion and advise.

My brogue question has opened my eyes and I certainly value the posts in assistance.

Boil ya head. ...... (not cooking advise)

Paul

Possibly.

However the picture was to demonstrate that good and I emphasise good, Brogues, even subjected to the rigours of game shooting can even after twenty five years look as good as new. No, in fact they look better, they mature and take on character, bit like me.................O.K. Joke.
    Well I'm not fussed either way. You wear what you want and are comfortable in. Very brave of you to post a picture of yourself though (despite the beard, glasses and hat disguise). Commendable Sir !

Banned
    Fashion advice.

On a watch forum.

Genius.

Clearly a lot of the folks here need it....

Don't let them put you off. If it makes you feel happier then here's a picture of me after I stuck a sink plunger on my head

Craftsman
    Congrats matey and hope all goes well

Paul
    Cheers Paul , me too 😒

I'm wearing Geoffrey West or Oliver Sweeney.

Not a true brogue by any standards, but I'm currently breaking in a pair of these bad boys...

http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/jeffer...3#.UhPaD8u9KK0

Fanny magnets or what!?!?!?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    picked up a pair of these from Jones a few weeks back, feels like wearing training shoes they are soooo comfy.

http://www.jonesbootmaker.com/defaul...fview%3dlister

Ta again

Paul
    Well, fountain pens of course!

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Recently got a pair of NOS Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor Longwings in cordovan. Dating from the late 60s/early 70s. They are a work of art.
    Have they still got v-cleats?