closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vpn

vpn

Hi

I'm considering buying a vpn for home/mobile working. I've had a look at a few such as hotspot and was now wondering if anyone had any recommendations on these as I have no experience

Cheers
    Tag

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I use tunnelbear ...cant remember how much its costs but if you choose it payment for unlimired usage

Craftsman
    I have been using private internet access for the past 2 months, https://www.privateinternetaccess.com. It was been excellent, the Android app and Windows 10 program work very well, a good selection of server countries available if watching catch up TV from abroad is your thing. Also the account I have allows 5 devices to be connected, it cost me about £30 for the 12mth subscription.

I use NordVPN. Plenty of server sites. Mobile client. Seems to have low latency. etc. etc.

Read more about vpn stuff here: http://www.reading2020.org.uk/things...-vpn-provider/

Journeyman
    I use Hidemyass, its nice and simple to use

VPN Unlimited for me
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone for nord now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Hotspot shield for me, had no probs with it.

I and many people I know use Astrill out here. It seem the most consistent.

I also use Betternet free verson as a back up.

But why do you need it?

Blog Entries
    If downloading a VPN - e.g. nordvpn, will this in any way interfere with email settings, or does everything continue with all earlier settings valid ?

Cheers, Peter

Craftsman
    It shouldn't touch or need change to your e-mail settings.

Would be careful which you use, many of them have been found to include spyware: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/android-vpn-apps-malware

I use the VPN on my home broadband router to get around work filters. I'm not really bothered about public wifi as everything runs over SSL anyway these days, so just don't ignore certificate errors! If you're that worried about anonymity then use TOR, not one of these providers as there's no guarantee they're not covertly run by the people you're trying to avoid or subject to their court orders anyway. Some have given up their own users: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09...c_controversy/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    It shouldn't touch or need change to your e-mail settings.

Would be careful which you use, many of them have been found to include spyware: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/android-vpn-apps-malware

I use the VPN on my home broadband router to get around work filters. I'm not really bothered about public wifi as everything runs over SSL anyway these days, so just don't ignore certificate errors! If you're that worried about anonymity then use TOR, not one of these providers as there's no guarantee they're not covertly run by the people you're trying to avoid or subject to their court orders anyway. Some have given up their own users: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09...c_controversy/

Thank you, no it is more about being able watch UK Catch up TV whilst abroad....

Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Thank you, no it is more about being able watch UK Catch up TV whilst abroad....

Cheers, Peter
    Buy a Raspberry PI and set up your own vpn at home if you want to watch UK Catch up TV whilst abroad.

I've moved from using a Raspberry Pi to provide VPN access at home to a router that supports VPN.

Some ADSL routers off the shelf support VPN.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 23rd March 2017 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    Buy a Raspberry PI and set up your own vpn at home if you want to watch UK Catch up TV whilst abroad.

I've moved from using a Raspberry Pi to provide VPN access at home to a router that supports VPN.

Some ADSL routers off the shelf support VPN.
    As a matter of interest do you have a link to a build; I've always thought that the Pi would make quite a good proxy server but could find nothing last time I looked? It's probably just an intellectual curiosity however.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    As a matter of interest do you have a link to a build; I've always thought that the Pi would make quite a good proxy server but could find nothing last time I looked? It's probably just an intellectual curiosity however.
    Try this one -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33548728

One thing to note if you're going to try this. Unless I missed it, I don't think it includes a step to create a ta.key, so you'll need to remember to cd to /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa and run `openvpn --genkey --secret keys /ta.key`.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 24th March 2017 at 11:36.

Express VPN and Astrill are the favoured VPN services over here in China. Essential for reading anything thats not on a server in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    Thanks - I'll look at that when I get a minute.

If you use l2tp you won't need a client on your iDevices.

Think this was what I followed when I configured mine, iirc I had to downgrade openswan :-

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=31541

This one mentions openswan :-

https://ritazh.com/setup-your-own-l2...04c#.fltrrsbpe
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 24th March 2017 at 20:11.

Craftsman
    Used VyprVPN for a year, but read some bad press about them in terms of sharing of logs.

Now using Private Internet Access and so far so good. Even better pricing and some discount codes floating around for 2 year subscriptions.

Holy resurrected thread Batman!

Thought I'd revive this one rather than starting another...

VPN's

Can anyone recommend me one please, needs to be easy to set up, work well, and be good value for money.

Thanks guys!

Craftsman
    keep off cyberghost...i was a expressvpn user for years and decided on this...bad move...going back to expressvpn ..after this runs out

Master
    NordVPN works well on all devices.

Largely depends what you prioritise (privacy, performance, locations) but NordVPN is what I use and ticks all those boxes plus more.

Master
    NordVPN here too. Works across everything for me

Another vote for Nord.

SydR
    What is Nord VPN speed like? I have 1 gigabit synchronous broadband at home and the ones I have trialled before bring things to a virtual halt.

Craftsman
    ive tried a few, including some of them "pay once, lifetime membership" ones. The only one that was consistently performant and reliable was ExpressVPN.
    ExpressVPN support is also amazing, instant responses, quick resolutions.
    I see nord mentioned here a few times, but ive never tried it.

Multivad - you can pay them by posting cash if you like - no registration of any sort required.

Mullvad or ProtonVPN (which has a free version)

Nord VPN was hacked, and took a long time before disclosing the hack. That may or may not put you off. https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/no...it-was-hacked/

Private Internet Access probably isn't a good choice for many people. https://www.reddit.com/r/VPN/comment...me_to_its_end/

NordVPN was working well with me but lately it is messing with my iPhone XR's wifi connectivity on an intermittent basis. Working well with my Mac. I am thinking of going elsewhere due to the XR problems.

NordVPN - https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/no...it-was-hacked/

I have used HotSpot Shield, TunnelBear and now TOR Guard. I had problems with the first (billing), but the latter two have been fine. I continue to use TOR Guard, and have just renewed for a second year.

Edit - I should have added that I use MacOS and iOS devices.

on android its best to use open source openvpn. then import your vpn config into to it.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    on android its best to use open source openvpn. then import your vpn config into to it.
    Can I have that again in 'luddite' please?

Thanks for your help everyone, very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Can I have that again in 'luddite' please?

Thanks for your help everyone, very much appreciated!
    Download "open vpn" from play store.

Go to you vpn's settings menu on their website and export a configuration file that you can import into the open vpn program.

I use airvpn

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Download "open vpn" from play store.

Go to you vpn's settings menu on their website and export a configuration file that you can import into the open vpn program.

I use airvpn
    What do you think about using the 1.1.1.1 or ExpressVPN app on Android? Would you still use Open VPN?

I use PrivateTunnel and has cross platform support ie PC, Android & ios etc :)

https://www.privatetunnel.com/

Do most of you now use a VPN?

If so, which do you use?

I do.
    Wife and daughter are NordVPN, I am ProtonVPN on my Macs and Privacy Pro (with Privacy DNS) on my iPhone.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Doubt most to here since its a more mature set of users.

I use airvpn with pihole cloudflare dns

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What do you think about using the 1.1.1.1 or ExpressVPN app on Android? Would you still use Open VPN?
    Missed this msg.

Quad one is cloudflare so yes I would use it.
    There is an argument that a closed app is not wise on case there are security holes. Openvpn is open source

Down to just TORGuard now. It never seems to have any lag. The free ones are awful in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I do.
    Wife and daughter are NordVPN, I am ProtonVPN on my Macs and Privacy Pro (with Privacy DNS) on my iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Down to just TORGuard now. It never seems to have any lag. The free ones are awful in my experience.
    Thanks will look at those.

Appreciate it.

Hello

Express VPN works well for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks will look at those.

Appreciate it.
    Out of interest what do you require it for?

^Good question.

I don't need it.

At least, I assumed I didn't until I realised that pretty much every ad on some of the podcasts I listen to are about it.

I have also done some work in the data privacy area and I've realised that some of the data safeguards aren't quite what they should be in terms of personal data being sold on for marketing purposes.

Edited to add - not sure what I would use it for. Thought I'd review the VPN T&Cs to see what they do.

Yes, some of the VPNCo’s are flogging your data too.

I use it when I can’t get connected by normal means, and also on free WiFi. Last night, sites with SSL were causing me problems when connecting, so I fired up the VPN and all was well.

Don’t pay full price for TORGuard if you get that. You should be able to get a 50% lifetime discount for as long s you want to use it. I don’t have a referrer code, but if there is the possibility of an introduction I am happy to introduce you. Any profit to me would go in the fundraiser, but I doubt that there will be any that would still give you the best deal.

Master
    ^Good question.

I don't need it.

At least, I assumed I didn't until I realised that pretty much every ad on some of the podcasts I listen to are about it.

I have also done some work in the data privacy area and I've realised that some of the data safeguards aren't quite what they should be in terms of personal data being sold on for marketing purposes.

Edited to add - not sure what I would use it for. Thought I'd review the VPN T&Cs to see what they do.
    Personally I think there is a large element of snake oil in the commercial offerings, at a general level any browser session with a https and padlock symbol should be secure, any app should be written in a secure manor to prevent data being intercepted especially financial apps.

There is an element of scare tactics of data being intercepted on public/hotel etc hotspots but the first two points negates that imo

So if at home on your own secure network they are also redundant unless you are looking at negating regional content blocks or anonymous tor/BitTorrent work.

If travelling or in a potential compromised network in say China then it could be worth considering.

I built one that allows me back to my home network for data/files and to beat geographic blocks should I ever travel again.

Edit:
    Just for clarity we all know that a vpn does not provide end to end encryption right?

All it does is shift the entry point of you data to where it exits your vpn server once it leaves that vpn server if it’s not already encrypted https or app traffic then it’s still vulnerable to interception
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 6th July 2021 at 16:33.

^Thanks Temp, very kind.

CM, you've articulated my concerns.

1. Selling of data still poss.
    2. Interception still poss.

For working abroad it seems to make sense as you say.

^Good question.

I don't need it.

If you are interested in privacy there is a good podcast by an ex cop and FBI agent called michael bassel?
    OSInt and privacy podcast.

You could have a scroll down the list of episodes and find one on VPNs.