closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Football boot studs - question

Master

Football boot studs - question

My eldest play a serious amount of football and Rugby with 3 matches and two training sessions a week. We got Adidas Copa boots this September and I’ve noticed the studs have really worn away. Are these still playable or time for a change?

We have his next pair lined up ( from Father Christmas) ready so I’ve put them in for comparison, but they are a little big.

I’d personally change them as the front particularly looks well worn and would cause issues with football.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I’d personally change them as the front particularly looks well worn and would cause issues with football.
    I thought this, my boots tend to last me at least 5 years so I’ve never really seen wearing like this.

Master
    Lots of walking on concrete and tarmac will take its toll.
    I’d keep the old pair for training especially if wearing them 5 times a week, when I played regularly I’d always have two or three pairs of boots on the go.

Master
    I guess this is where sliders are actually a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I’d keep the old pair for training especially if wearing them 5 times a week, when I played regularly I’d always have two or three pairs of boots on the go.
    This looks to be the case if there is a concrete path to the pitch from the changing rooms it will wear them down very quickly
    You say he plays rugby, not sure they would be classed as legal as the nylon in this state can cause shards that can cut like a knife (I have a long scar on my arm to prove this - got rucked and it opened my arm up like a Stanley knife).
    Just checked my boots, I could do with some new studs but I only play a few times a year now, might buy some new boots and put these on SC!

:-)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 10th January 2022 at 12:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Exactly this, next set of boots I’m going to make sure he changes them.

Multiple boots is a good idea but he’s still growing so not entirely practical yet. I remember rugby would never allow plastic studs when I played, so kids seem to use the same pair of boots for both now.

I guess removable studs are a thing of the past now ?

Have you considered putting the white pair on SC - my guess is you'll be inundated with offers !?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Soft ground boots generally have removable metal studs, Firm ground tend to be moulds.

OP what size is he? Have two pairs of brand new Puma size9’s if interested. Fundraiser donation and postage to pay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Soft ground boots generally have removable metal studs, Firm ground tend to be moulds.

OP what size is he? Have two pairs of brand new Puma size9’s if interested. Fundraiser donation and postage to pay.
    Thanks for the offer! He’s only 9 so currently 5.5 and next pair are 6.5. A noticed big increase in price going from kids to adults (more than VAT)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Have you considered putting the white pair on SC - my guess is you'll be inundated with offers !?!
    You’re probably right, I think the smell would’ almost certainly make them more desirable!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    You’re probably right, I think the smell would’ almost certainly make them more desirable!
    Is he playing the football on Astro and 3/4g ? That’s the only explanation for the wearing down on the white pair.

If you’re playing on grass the firm ground take years to wear down.

My sons matches are all on 4g now and he goes through a pair of boots every 5/6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Is he playing the football on Astro and 3/4g ? That’s the only explanation for the wearing down on the white pair.

If you’re playing on grass the firm ground take years to wear down.

My sons matches are all on 4g now and he goes through a pair of boots every 5/6 months.

Probably 2/3s 3G, very interesting as I didn’t realise it was that hard! Also too much waking on concrete!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My last pair of footie boots were Puma King Eusebio they had screw in leather studs

Those moulded studs don't last long.

If I were you I'd get some boots with removable studs and a couple of sets of short and long for different ground conditions.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    3G certainly causes more friction wear compared to grass. I’m currently out on the pitch 4 times a week, often for up to 3hrs at a time so have multiple pairs to account for drying out/airing off time… but even then you can see wear appearing after a couple of months on blades/mouldies. I used to be on the pitch 6 or 7 days a week and would go through a couple of pairs of mouldies per season.
    My soft ground boots by comparison are about 5yrs old and still looking great (long live Puma Kings).
    It’s a bigger issue for goalkeeper gloves, thankfully I get my gloves free !!

Get those white boots in the bin.

EDIT: I’d advise against the suggestion of getting a pair of screw ins with shorter studs for firm ground if the lad is playing on artificial ground. The stud pattern typically is quite different, and theres potential to cause ankle/knee injuries when changing direction. Stick with mouldies or a pair of Artificial Ground boots.
    Last edited by gorrie; 10th January 2022 at 15:41.

Not sure how relevant this is but you shouldn't really wear bladed studs on astroturf... apparently they don't allow your foot to twist enough on 3/4G surfaces so can damage your knees. Astro boots seem to have smaller, rounder studs.

To be honest, I wish my eldest would actually wear out a pair of football boots - he seems to grow out of a pair or two every season at the moment.
    Last edited by Meesterbond; 10th January 2022 at 15:48. Reason: edited to add to the above

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    3G certainly causes more friction wear compared to grass. I’m currently out on the pitch 4 times a week, often for up to 3hrs at a time so have multiple pairs to account for drying out/airing off time… but even then you can see wear appearing after a couple of months on blades/mouldies. I used to be on the pitch 6 or 7 days a week and would go through a couple of pairs of mouldies per season.
    My soft ground boots by comparison are about 5yrs old and still looking great (long live Puma Kings).
    It’s a bigger issue for goalkeeper gloves, thankfully I get my gloves free !!

Get those white boots in the bin.

EDIT: I’d advise against the suggestion of getting a pair of screw ins with shorter studs for firm ground if the lad is playing on artificial ground. The stud pattern typically is quite different, and theres potential to cause ankle/knee injuries when changing direction. Stick with mouldies or a pair of Artificial Ground boots.
    How come you get your gloves free??!! I spend a fortune on gloves for my son!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    How come you get your gloves free??!! I spend a fortune on gloves for my son!
    Perks of having a GK school and also coaching Academy goalies for pro clubs. Up until before Christmas I was in contact with about 40-50 goalies per week so it’s free advertising for a glove manufacturer. Hoping to reduce that down a bit this year as I’m not getting any younger… only so many times I can half volley in a day !!

I wear kaliaaer these days, used to wear Sells but kaliaaer have come on leaps and bounds and at a much more realistic price for people that are using their own money. Not sure what your son wears but I’ve got a discount code for my GK school which I’m happy for you to use for 33% off Kaliaaer if it helps you out. Drop me a PM if you want it… I’m not allowed to post the code on public forums and social media as it annoys the retailers.

Andy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Perks of having a GK school and also coaching Academy goalies for pro clubs. Up until before Christmas I was in contact with about 40-50 goalies per week so it’s free advertising for a glove manufacturer. Hoping to reduce that down a bit this year as I’m not getting any younger… only so many times I can half volley in a day !!

I wear kaliaaer these days, used to wear Sells but kaliaaer have come on leaps and bounds and at a much more realistic price for people that are using their own money. Not sure what your son wears but I’ve got a discount code for my GK school which I’m happy for you to use for 33% off Kaliaaer if it helps you out. Drop me a PM if you want it… I’m not allowed to post the code on public forums and social media as it annoys the retailers.

Andy.
    Thanks will do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Not sure how relevant this is but you shouldn't really wear bladed studs on astroturf... apparently they don't allow your foot to twist enough on 3/4G surfaces so can damage your knees. Astro boots seem to have smaller, rounder studs.

To be honest, I wish my eldest would actually wear out a pair of football boots - he seems to grow out of a pair or two every season at the moment.
    They don’t make blades anymore due to what you’ve said above. The blades would essentially stick to the ground when changing direction and people ended up with ankle / knee ligament injuries.

In relation to Astro pitches does anyone remember the first “ Astro “ pitches that were essentially sand and plastic. I still wince remembering sliding or falling over and then watching my legs slow bleed over a week.

Absolutely brutal stuff.

Th
    In relation to Astro pitches does anyone remember the first “ Astro “ pitches that were essentially sand and plastic. I still wince remembering sliding or falling over and then watching my legs slow bleed over a week.

Absolutely brutal stuff.

They were lethal... you could remove several layers of skin with every slide tackle. Taught players to stay on their feet, if nothing else!

I'll take the boots and socks full of black rubber bits which my son manages to empty throughout the house after every game on the 'astro' any day.

Hockey still played on 2G sand based Astros! My knees and knuckles bare the scars!

Mandmdirect.com good for cheap boots if you are flexible on brand and colour etc.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

TBH I think those white boots should have gone before now.

Buying boots for kids who play football competitively is now pretty expensive due to the different surfaces and one pair of soft ground metal studs for winter grass and one pair of moulds for spring/summer grass and 3G would be pretty normal for a kid playing sunday football and training once or twice a week. And the moulds will wear out the quickest. As someone mentioned get a pair of slides for the journey from the car to the pitch and he can change into the boots at the warm-up area avoiding all that wear on concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    They are not, removable are still preferred for soft ground. In fact a recent trend at the highest level has been to modify moulded stud boots (firm ground boots) to have a combination of moulded studs and removable ones. Sometimes known as hybrid boots. Some now available off the shelf with this arrangement

Master
    They don’t make blades anymore due to what you’ve said above. The blades would essentially stick to the ground when changing direction and people ended up with ankle / knee ligament injuries.

Absolutely brutal stuff.

Used to love a good sliding tackle on wet Astro. That said I also went to bed and woke up with bits of my leg stuck to the sheets with dried blood on numerous occasions :-)