closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 68 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

I massively over paid for this, as you do with all single malts in Vietnam, but the fruity, floral flavours of this speyside make it worthwhile.

And goes very nice with a Hoyo

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    get the other half to pour for you into opaque glasses?
    Alas I have no glamorous assistant to help out though my ex would have been fine with it as she was Scottish!

Blog Entries
    So…. I fancy bringing another one to my collection

Love the straight up Buna and someone suggested a Tandhu 12 which I love too…. My BIL had a Glenfarcas which was amazing as well

Happy to spend £50+ for something nice (not a target - but a budget!!)

What do people suggest?

Ben
    Last edited by Wolfie; 7th March 2021 at 15:07.

Glenfarclas 15??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Love the straight up Buna and someone suggested a Tandhu 12 which I love too…. My BIL had a Glenfarcas which was amazing as well

What do people suggest?

Ben
    Laphroaig Lore. Look around for a good deal.

The other day I had an Amazon order that was £14 from the free delivery amount.

This was £15.

#Manmaths

Wife: “But you could have used my Prime account for free delivery!”

Me: “Next time Dear, next time. Probably.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Laphroaig Lore. Look around for a good deal.
    I got the Smokey Buna that someone suggested which I enjoy as occasional step away from my usual tastes…. My standard fair is a bit smoother maybe?

Nowt wrong with a Jameson’s! Used to be a regular tipple with a cube of ice…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Glenfarclas 15??

Ballpark for the budget…. Could be goer! Will I always compare it the 18 that I drank at Xmas though?!!!!

A contender!

Master
    This evenings tipple, only a drink left in it, thankfully a back up bottle on standby! Image1615154592.810200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What do people suggest?

Ben
    It's £50+ however the first whisky that came to mind is Springbank's 15, the second thing that came to mind is that it has become tricky to get hold of - pretty much anything that comes from Springbank seems to be flying off the shelves at the moment. GlenDronach's 12 and 15 are worth a look though I haven't tried them personally and Edradour is a name that's trending on a FB group I'm a member of, the Caladonia 12 reads very well and may be worth investigating. The SB is lightly peated however they are all sherried, something that they have in common with the Glenfarclas that you've tried. Aberlour have a few at that price point, as well.

I'm a big fan of India's Amrut Fusion, and for pretty much bang on your budget it's worth considering. It's young (I've read that it's only 4 years old!) though the highish ABV and the fact that whisky matures faster in warmer climates give it a nose and palate older than you'd think. The spirit is 25% peat smoked barley and 75% Indian non-peated barley and, like the Springbank 15, the smoke is present though in no way overpowering, think of it more as an enhancer rather than a dominator - both are some way away from stereotypical Islays. Every friend I've recommended it to has loved it, even if it took a couple of them a few separate measures to adjust to the ABV.

I think I remember recommending Balvenie's 14 Caribbean Cask to you before, keep that one in mind if you're yet to try it.

Craftsman

What do people suggest?

Ben
    Less then £50 (about £40) but two of the most delicious bottles on my shelves are the BenRiach The Twelve and The Smoky Twelve...they are rich, complex, sweet/smoky and just excellent!

On my shelves they are next to the Glenfarclas, GlenAllachie and The Balvenie Caribbean Cask...but I would grab the BenRiach as the most flavoursome.

Both are a mix of Bourbon and Sherry cask matured, with The Twelve also containing Port cask liquid and The Smoky Twelve containing Masala Wine liquid...just yum.

The Twelve is "nil" smoke, and The Smoky Twelve is "rich smoke" though I'd call it light smoke - something akin to a Talisker Port Ruighie

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    It's £50+ however the first whisky that came to mind is Springbank's 15, the second thing that came to mind is that it has become tricky to get hold of - pretty much anything that comes from Springbank seems to be flying off the shelves at the moment. GlenDronach's 12 and 15 are worth a look though I haven't tried them personally and Edradour is a name that's trending on a FB group I'm a member of, the Caladonia 12 reads very well and may be worth investigating. The SB is lightly peated however they are all sherried, something that they have in common with the Glenfarclas that you've tried. Aberlour have a few at that price point, as well.

I'm a big fan of India's Amrut Fusion, and for pretty much bang on your budget it's worth considering. It's young (I've read that it's only 4 years old!) though the highish ABV and the fact that whisky matures faster in warmer climates give it a nose and palate older than you'd think. The spirit is 25% peat smoked barley and 75% Indian non-peated barley and, like the Springbank 15, the smoke is present though in no way overpowering, think of it more as an enhancer rather than a dominator - both are some way away from stereotypical Islays. Every friend I've recommended it to has loved it, even if it took a couple of them a few separate measures to adjust to the ABV.

I think I remember recommending Balvenie's 14 Caribbean Cask to you before, keep that one in mind if you're yet to try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Less then £50 (about £40) but two of the most delicious bottles on my shelves are the BenRiach The Twelve and The Smoky Twelve...they are rich, complex, sweet/smoky and just excellent!

On my shelves they are next to the Glenfarclas, GlenAllachie and The Balvenie Caribbean Cask...but I would grab the BenRiach as the most flavoursome.

Both are a mix of Bourbon and Sherry cask matured, with The Twelve also containing Port cask liquid and The Smoky Twelve containing Masala Wine liquid...just yum.

The Twelve is "nil" smoke, and The Smoky Twelve is "rich smoke" though I'd call it light smoke - something akin to a Talisker Port Ruighie

Perfect…. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond

Runners and riders are

SB - can’t find it online anywhere!
    Amrut Fusion - exotic!
    Balvenie- Caribbean
    Ben Riach 12

Card Shark - I think you expressed what is close to my taste…. A hint of smoke without it being the main event…

Now to try and find a deal?!!!

Craftsman

Runners and riders are

Amrut Fusion - exotic!
    Balvenie- Caribbean
    Ben Riach 12

Card Shark - I think you expressed what is close to my taste…. A hint of smoke without it being the main event…

Hint of smoke without main event sounds like BenRiach The Smoky Twelve to me...was on offer at The Whisky Shop last week

Runners and riders are

Amrut Fusion - exotic!
    Balvenie- Caribbean
    Ben Riach 12

The Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask I've found cheapest at Sainsbury's at £42 and it's not even on offer. It's only a couple of quid more than the 12 Double Wood. They are different beasts, but the 14 is very worth it at that price, for me.

Early start today lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Early start today lol

I can almost smell the smokiness through the screen! Enjoy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I can almost smell the smokiness through the screen! Enjoy...

Might have a new favourite. Cheers.

Master
    Tamnavulin £20 in Tesco down from £32 with club card :)

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Tamnavulin £20 in Tesco down from £32 with club card :)
    It’s mediocre, at best. Still, not bad for £20!

It’s mediocre, at best. Still, not bad for £20!
    Yeah, good £20 spent
    My fave tonight. Don't really want to finish this :-(

This was last nights vWhisky tasting event

Sadly one of my mates didn’t get a delivery in time (damn you dpd) so we didn’t get through them all. We stuck to the Mackmyras and the Macallan, and I opened the GlenDronach. Which was a good job as I was driving this morning!

The stand out by a country mile was the Macallan Rare Cask. Simply smoooooth. But so it should be for ca. £235 a bottle! The GlenDronach 15 I tried afterwards simply couldn’t compete.

The worst one (by far) was the Mackmyra Smokey Oloroso cask. It started off nice, then became very ‘fake smoke’. All four of us didn’t like it. And we were gobsmacked once we discovered it was £195 a bottle....a 50cl bottle!

In fact all the Mackmyra whiskies I’ve tried have been mediocre at best. As a massive Motörhead fan this one was most disappointing!

BenRiach tasting set next!

https://thespiritsembassy.com/produc...evening-5-30ml
    Last edited by Kirk280; 13th March 2021 at 20:43.

Sadly one of my mates didn’t get a delivery in time (damn you dpd) so we didn’t get through them all. We stuck to the Mackmyras and the Macallan, and I opened the GlenDronach. Which was a good job as I was driving this morning!

The stand out by a country mile was the Macallan Rare Cask. Simply smoooooth. But so it should be for ca. £235 a bottle! The GlenDronach 15 I tried afterwards simply couldn’t compete.

The worst one (by far) was the Mackmyra Smokey Oloroso cask. It started off nice, then became very ‘fake smoke’. All four of us didn’t like it. And we were gobsmacked once we discovered it was £195 a bottle....a 50cl bottle!

In fact all the Mackmyra whiskies I’ve tried have been mediocre at best. As a massive Motörhead fan this one was most disappointing!

I had the Mackmyra Moment - Karibien in the Master of Malt Christmas calendar which subsequently went onto the wish list and is a more reasonable price (although not exactly cheap). Not tried anything else from them

Be interested in a couple of recommendations when you are done Kirk.

Be interested in a couple of recommendations when you are done Kirk.
    No probs mate. I’m keeping a spreadsheet!

Very professional indeed. Sounds like the sort of thing I would do.

Master

Good idea for the gtg have a tasting session ?

Seen any good sets with free glasses recently?

It's a shame I'm going to be working that evening as I'd very happily participate in that myself, i suppose the set could still be ordered and consumed at another time however it would be a shame to miss out on the main event.

Our virtual group is currently discussing if we should hold our next evening blind again as we're yet to do that this year, we've been drinking our own in the last few meets.

Cheers, ordered, been wanting to try their wares.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Cheers, ordered, been wanting to try their wares.
    I hear it on good authority that their 25 year old is unbelievably good. For £200 a bottle (that’s the currently on offer price) you’d hope so!

I really hope I don’t like the miniature of it!

See you at the virtual tasting

Blog Entries

Was in Sainsbury’s and thought why not!

It’s unlike anything else in my small collection

The only way I can describe it, it that has a pleasant rum rough edge to a very nice whisky…. It works !!! I enjoyed a wee drop yesterday and another this evening

The Indian stuff sounds great too…. I might pick some up if I ever get out to Bangalore!

Thanks again to you and others who made recommendations…

Cheers 🍻

Was in Sainsbury’s and thought why not!

Glad you like it! With regards to any roughness you may perceive, leave the bottle a week or two and come back to it, maybe even longer if you can. I've done this with a number of whiskies and it's amazing what difference it can make. I can't be sure what percentage is in the head and what's down to losing the 'neck pour' and allowing some oxygen in however give it a go.

Seeing as BenRiach came up in conversation earlier here's my 21, the spirit within has spent some time in virgin oak, bourbon, PX (Pedro Ximenez sherry) and (unspecified) red wine casks - to my palate one of these is quite prominent though I won't say which as I don't want to 'steer' those yet to try it. I'd certainly be interested in those thoughts when the time comes, though.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Glad you like it! With regards to any roughness you may perceive, leave the bottle a week or two and come back to it, maybe even longer if you can. I've done this with a number of whiskies and it's amazing what difference it can make. I can't be sure what percentage is in the head and what's down to losing the 'neck pour' and allowing some oxygen in however give it a go.

Seeing as BenRiach came up in conversation earlier here's my 21, the spirit within has spent some time in virgin oak, bourbon, PX (Pedro Ximenez sherry) and (unspecified) red wine casks - to my palate one of these is quite prominent though I won't say which as I don't want to 'steer' those yet to try it. I'd certainly be interested in those thoughts when the time comes, though.

I don’t mind the ‘rough aspect’…. Rum should have that quality!!!

Will leave it a month…. Won’t touch it

It’s a nice recommendation and I’m always happy to try something different…. If I wanted safe I’d simply order the straight up Buna every time as it’s really easy delicious drinking….

That BenRiach looks amazing…. I’m coming round to yours for a booze-up!!!

Not bad for a Monday.

Not bad for a Monday.

Good to see this watch being worn on the first day... (not many of them do I suspect :D) on the wrist as well as a whisky bottle!

One of my favourites..... even had a slug last night whilst watching Your Honor on Sky. Wife said she needed a G&T as it’s a tense show so it would have been rude not to join her

Blog Entries
    This was a substituted item on my Morisson's order...

I'd never had it before so accepted it ... as it was reduced to £23...

It's not bad at all for £23

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    z
    I was thinking that was quite brave of them to substitute on a whisky order?! But, glad it worked out well. Did you already have the viking skull cup?

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

One of my favourites..... even had a slug last night whilst watching Your Honor on Sky. Wife said she needed a G&T as it’s a tense show so it would have been rude not to join her

Quality drop, that.

My self imposed buying ban didn't last very long... A combination of wanting to try it against Laphroaig's 10, replacing a bottle I once had of it some years back, the odd 'photo or two (or three) here and a healthy discount in Tesco using my Clubcard I walked out of the store with this.

I have practically zero willpower.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

I'd never had it before so accepted it ... as it was reduced to £23...

It's not bad at all for £23

z
    Not a great whisky. But it’s a good one. Not bad for £23!

Blog Entries
    Not a great whisky. But it’s a good one. Not bad for £23!
    Agreed. Having tasted it tonight, I’d say it’s ... middling. ...

z

Cracked this open last night and going for more tonight. This is a no age statement but I understand it’s principally 3 year old, so the minimum required to be called a whisky. However, with the demands placed on older stock, if this is the future of whisky then we’re going to be OK . And it’s English to boot!

This is the review that I bought off the strength of https://malt-review.com/2019/11/05/b...ed-oak-casks/; I’d agree with the first set of tasting notes.

Interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Interesting ...

The watch is certainly very interesting...but I found that whisky to be poor, overwhelmed by rum flavours.

Grand Master
    i thought that at first but it's been growing on me.....very sweet finish to this one. looking at the Glenlivet 12yo Illicit Stills next, anyone tried it yet?
    The watch is certainly very interesting...but I found that whisky to be poor, overwhelmed by rum flavours.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thanks.. it's a bit confusing, I can imagine it being a good drink if I'm actually in the Caribbean... xD

Smokey Wednesday. Cheers all.

Grand Master
    my local Morrisons had that in store a few weeks ago at both £25 and £40....i queried it with a customer service person who scanned it to clarify and it came up at £18! they said they would honour that so i bought three bottles......win!
    Smokey Wednesday. Cheers all.

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    my local Morrisons had that in store a few weeks ago at both £25 and £40....i queried it with a customer service person who scanned it to clarify and it came up at £18! they said they would honour that so i bought three bottles......win!
    Absolute win!! Really enjoy this one and got £18 wowsers!

Grand Master
    Absolute win!! Really enjoy this one and got £18 wowsers!
    one was rather chuffed.......apparently it was coded in with the bar code from a jim beam or something. told my pal who shot down there an hour later but it had been taken off sale by then

amazon have it at £27 with free delivery at the moment too.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Early start today lol

There is a small bearded man in your bottle drinking your Ardbeg!
    He's reminiscent of Captain Haddock from TinTin!