closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to sell a Rolex Sub?

Master

Best place to sell a Rolex Sub?

I haven't sold a Rolex for several years so I'm totally out of the game, but I have a dilemma. There's a watch I've wanted for the best part of a decade and my allocation has just come through, at the worst possible time of course. Normally I'd list a watch on SC, but I I'm going to be looking for the market value and don't want to be seen as profiteering. I just really need the maximum potential out of the watch I'd be selling, in order to make this all work out.

The watch is a current model 41mm Bluesy, so are there any recommendations of where would be best to sell in order to achieve a good market value?

It's a while since I've been on here so I hope all the old school are doing well on here and the watch Gods have been good to you

Master
    I have sold all mine apart from one to Mark Worthington which is handy for yourself.

I gave up with SC for Rolex as most threads turn in to some sort of slagging off thread so you are not missing much.

The problem with MW is sometimes you get a good offer and other times not so...a bit like WBAC.

Good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I have sold all mine apart from one to Mark Worthington which is handy for yourself.

I gave up with SC for Rolex as most threads turn in to some sort of slagging off thread so you are not missing much.

The problem with MW is sometimes you get a good offer and other times not so...a bit like WBAC.

Good luck.
    Thanks, yeah I didn’t want to create a sales scenario that spirals. I know this place too well lol. I’ll try and call Mark Worthington asap, guess it depends how many of the same thing they already have etc.

I have always found WF really good for a hassle free sale. I have also heard good things about Subdial but never used them.

Master
    Just bang it on SC, without the line " I've been offered £xxx by WF"

Job done

If it's a bit below trade value it's fine, no big deal if its over RRP (which is completely irrelevant in today's Rolex world)

Just my view

Grand Master
    I sold one to Gary Sanderson a couple of years back, got a fair price and v. straightforward to deal with.

Might be worth having a word with Mike Wood or Alex at Watches of Whitby.

Subdial have always given me a fair offer. Decent blokes to deal with too. Beats the sheit that goes on trying to sell it here on SC. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m realising how out of the watch world I’ve been right here. Haven’t heard of some of these, but it’s great to see there’s multiple options.

Worth popping an enquiry through to Subdial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just stick it on SC for a sensible price - the SC issues seem to come from people wanting Chrono24 top value when that's not realistic or trying to profiteer immediately on a new purchase.

Not interested myself but I'm sure someone would appreciate the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Just stick it on SC for a sensible price.
    I personally would not waste your time. You will get the same amount or more from a dealer without all the hassle.

Try Pride and Pinion in Belfast, a friend has used them a couple of times and got decent prices.

Master
    I've sold a couple on consignment through Dom Hackett (Hackett Watches) as well as having bought a watch he sourced for me, and he's an absolute gent.

Master

Best place to sell a Rolex Sub?

You could also try Jonathan at Edinburgh Watch Company

Master
    Another vote for Subdial from me. Found them to be excellent and fair if I am completely honest, having dealt with them very recently.

Craftsman
    I'd also recommend Dom Hackett, bought and sold many watches to and from him over the years. In fact I was going to give him a call today to sell my GMT II as it's just so simple. I would say I am realistic with the watches value and set my expectations going in, which I think helps.

GLWTS :)

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Subdial have always given me a fair offer. Decent blokes to deal with too. Beats the sheit that goes on trying to sell it here on SC. Good luck!

I’ll second this

Master
    Subdial or Watches of Whitby.

These are the good guys.

Another shout for Subdial - truly excellent.

Craftsman
    +1 for Dominic Hackett. I’ve bought and sold at least 10 watches with him over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I haven't sold a Rolex for several years so I'm totally out of the game, but I have a dilemma. There's a watch I've wanted for the best part of a decade and my allocation has just come through, at the worst possible time of course. Normally I'd list a watch on SC, but I I'm going to be looking for the market value and don't want to be seen as profiteering. I just really need the maximum potential out of the watch I'd be selling, in order to make this all work out.

The watch is a current model 41mm Bluesy, so are there any recommendations of where would be best to sell in order to achieve a good market value?

It's a while since I've been on here so I hope all the old school are doing well on here and the watch Gods have been good to you
    Dealers are cautious just now, and many are only buying if they have a customer lined up.
    Just to manage your expectations, you might not achieve (much) over list price.

Journeyman
    Another Subdial. Easy to deal with and no issues. Kept to me up to date during the whole transaction.

Richy

Well I’m trying subdial now too. Be interesting to see how the quotes compare to WF

Always got the best price for a Rolex from Miltonaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Well I’m trying subdial now too. Be interesting to see how the quotes compare to WF
    Watching with interest.

I expect the offers with be between £11-12k

watches of wales gave me a good price at the time for my gmtc2,no hassle

Craftsman
    Do any of these buyers pay for your post and insurance?
    I know Watchfinder do.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    You could also try Jonathan at Edinburgh Watch Company
    Well, a while back I made a tentative enquiry with him about my Sub. Shall we just say that the price he offered was considerably below my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Watching with interest.

I expect the offers with be between £11-12k
    Well that was underwhelming. 15% below WF. Maybe they just don’t like subs?

I have always found WF really good for a hassle free sale. I have also heard good things about Subdial but never used them.
    +1 for WF

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Well, a while back I made a tentative enquiry with him about my Sub. Shall we just say that the price he offered was considerably below my expectations.
    Ditto

Craftsman

If it helps, I’ve bought from Subdial and found them to be excellent to deal with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Just stick it on SC for a sensible price - the SC issues seem to come from people wanting Chrono24 top value when that's not realistic or trying to profiteer immediately on a new purchase.

Not interested myself but I'm sure someone would appreciate the chance.
    I’d second that. I sold a Submariner here a few months ago. Got a good and fair price, a hassle free sale and the threat didn’t descend into grief.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    If it helps, I’ve bought from Subdial and found them to be excellent to deal with.

Not surprised if they offer sellers fa

Master
    Subdial are normally competitive. WF are awful p*** takers at times. Always surprised when others say WF offer a good price.
    Last edited by Berty234; 15th June 2022 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Subdial are normally competitive. WF are awful p*** takers at times. Always surprised when others say WF offer a good price.
    Thats true. I offered them a TT GMT and Solid gold one a few years ago and they didn’t even quote. Equally the DJ 36 they gave me way above what I paid so I suppose it’s ‘market forces’ or whatever Nigel Lawson called it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Same here.
    Totally lowballed and his prices certainly don't reflect it.
    This was before he was robbed of his stock.

Master
    Sounds like I need to withdraw my recommendation then.

I can recommend Kensington Gate watches. Mainly based on C24 but up in Scotland working from a PO box if you can get your head around that! I sold 2 Rolexes to them and they were very fair, trustworthy and offered a good price.

I think it is pretty sad that the majority of recommendations are for selling to profit-making traders (regardless of how good), as opposed to recommending SC with a fundraiser element.
    Seems that Rolex sales is one of the areas where forum community spirit has gone, for a lot of people.
    Shame

Loot

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think it is pretty sad that the majority of recommendations are for selling to profit-making traders (regardless of how good), as opposed to recommending SC with a fundraiser element.
    Seems that Rolex sales is one of the areas where forum community spirit has gone, for a lot of people.
    Shame
    Well the OP was kind of asking for alternatives to SC?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    It takes a brave person to sell a current Rolex on SC even with fundraiser involvement. Total minefield, dependent on the whims of people commenting, which is a huge shame. We should be encouraging sales at a fair market value on SC, around dealer buy in prices. That offers watches to the forum cheaper than dealer sell prices (even if above rrp, which we probably need to move on from).

Grand Master
    Shame
    I agree, but I fully understand the logic. Basically, you’re in a no- win situation putting a Rolex up for sale at market value on TZ, it’s a relatively small marketplace with a disproportionately loud voice and the criticism isn’t worth the hassle because the watch won’t sell. The majority of members are big on opinion but low on cash, they won't put their money where their mouth is. How many watches change hands on here for over £9k?........not many at all!

If I was in Wayne’s shoes I would get a few offers and take the best one.

sweets, not how it works in reality as mentioned - no-one here wants to buy Rolex at inflated market rates (even when below dealer prices), the sad old farts on here with bugger all else to do just love piling on and moaning about the inflated prices [get a life FFS]. That said, I look forward to your next Rolex sale on the SC - surely it's time (7 years after your last one)?!

I do not own a Rolex, nor will I, given that the ones I like are several times more costly than my comfort spend limit.
    I try all my sales here, but recently most have been completed elsewhere.
    I agree selling can look difficult here, but with a reasonable price and a fundraiser donation, an honest watch would move quickly, i think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do not own a Rolex, nor will I, given that the ones I like are several times more costly than my comfort spend limit.
    I try all my sales here, but recently most have been completed elsewhere.
    I agree selling can look difficult here, but with a reasonable price and a fundraiser donation, an honest watch would move quickly, i think.
    You highlight the main point, 'with a reasonable price'.

With Rolex many people have different expectations now, especially in a rapidly cooling market. OP wants top dollar, he stated as much. Market price and all that lark is code for it, else it would be with a dealer already. He wants more than dealer money, which is all well and good, but SC/TZ is more wary than ever on Rolex. Better to accept that its better to just take dealer trade money, unless of course its too low, which tells you even more about the 'market price'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    You highlight the main point, 'with a reasonable price'.

With Rolex many people have different expectations now, especially in a rapidly cooling market. OP wants top dollar, he stated as much. Market price and all that lark is code for it, else it would be with a dealer already. He wants more than dealer money, which is all well and good, but SC/TZ is more wary than ever on Rolex. Better to accept that its better to just take dealer trade money, unless of course its too low, which tells you even more about the 'market price'.
    Nail on head in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Shame
    I wonder why people don't want to sell Rolex on SC?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.