closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sorrento

Sorrento

Like many this will be our first venture abroad since the pandemic began. Off to Sorrento (never been before) in a few weeks and would like recommendations for stuff to do ( well really places to go and have nice lunches)
    Just a reasonably priced package holiday to Hotel la Solara which i know is about 30 to 40 mins walk from the town but that is what we like to do whilst away, walk, eat and drink.
    We tend to get up early and get the first sitting for breakfast and head off for the day. So guess the question is does anybody know where to go for a nice lunch?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

On the couple of times we've been (2011, 2016) my cousin who lis fairly local has taken us here:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau..._Campania.html

on the basis that it's central, pleasant and not stupidly expensive.

Can't help with lunch recommendations as it's 40 years since I visited Sorrento (actually stayed in Vico Equense, a few miles away).

Have a look at the Circumvesuviano railway if you're looking to get out & about.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    A must try is Don Alfonso 1890 in Sant'Agata.
    The must try dish is Rigatoni Vesuvius.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Can't help with lunch recommendations as it's 40 years since I visited Sorrento (actually stayed in Vico Equense, a few miles away).

Have a look at the Circumvesuviano railway if you're looking to get out & about.
    Railway is well worth trying for Pompei or even Naples also the boat over to Capri
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Like many this will be our first venture abroad since the pandemic began. Off to Sorrento (never been before) in a few weeks and would like recommendations for stuff to do ( well really places to go and have nice lunches)
    Just a reasonably priced package holiday to Hotel la Solara which i know is about 30 to 40 mins walk from the town but that is what we like to do whilst away, walk, eat and drink.
    We tend to get up early and get the first sitting for breakfast and head off for the day. So guess the question is does anybody know where to go for a nice lunch?

Find your way to the Fish Harbour now called the Marina Grande and choose your spot.

Unfortunately, Sophia Loren is no longer selling seafood down there but it is old Sorrento.

Craftsman
    We went in 2020.

Il Buco is amazing for dinner. Should be able to get a booking. We also went to somewhere else out of the Michelin guide but it was fairly average. We ate at a deli-type place which was ace and dead cheap I’ll find the name for you!

In terms of what to do - Go to Pompei and Naples, Positano is ok too for a day. Capri is worth a jaunt too.

I would actually happily go back again and I rarely visit places more than once.

Plenty to do In the town - perfect place to sit and drink and people watch

Avoid any organised free things orchestrated to sell you tat

Pompei worth a day but it’s a little way to travel

Trip to Capri on the boat is a nice day out

The Hotel Bellevue Syrene has a pretty decent lunch with some amazing views over to Vesuvius. Also an amazing breakfast!

https://www.bellevue.it/en/dining/gourmet

We had dinner at L'Antica Trattoria which was excellent with really fresh, local ingredients. I think they do lunch too:

http://www.lanticatrattoria.com/

Take the train to Pompeii and Herculaneum. The latter is smaller, quieter and better preserved. Take a keep ride up to Mt Vesuvius. Head to the south coast to visit Positano.

If you do get a chance to explore wider, I've eaten a few times at Armandino's just to the East of Praiano

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a.html?m=19905)

...which is in the background of this Fiat car ad

https://youtu.be/CuHVAeAnvAs?t=22

Cheers guys. Some great suggestions there for me to check out and keep me fed. My god Sophia loren was a looker.

Master
    A walk up Mt Vesuvius, visit Pompeii and a boat trip along the Amalfi coast. As for food, when we were there we just chose random restaurants and never had a bad meal. Great place and would love to go back.

Sorrento is one of those places that recommendations are so difficult to make.
    Stay away from the touristy spots and you’ll eat great food and drink amazing local wines for far less than you’d expect.
    It is a beautiful place and you’ll love it.

If you do pop over to Capri, it's worthwhile ascending the hill to Anacapri to get away from all the crowds off of the cruise ships.

The fancy shops are in the Grande Marina area

But the views are magnificent (even if my photography is not) when you get up the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    The Hotel Bellevue Syrene has a pretty decent lunch with some amazing views over to Vesuvius. Also an amazing breakfast!

https://www.bellevue.it/en/dining/gourmet
    Lynn and I stayed there for our silver wedding anniversary and had a truly wonderful time. The food on an evening was simply fantastic and the view is to die for.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

You must go for a drink on the veranda at this place. It’s wonderful!

https://excelsiorvittoria.com/

You can get a lift down from the hotel to the marina below where there are lots of restaurants and bars.

One of my favourite places in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Lynn and I stayed there for our silver wedding anniversary and had a truly wonderful time. The food on an evening was simply fantastic and the view is to die for.
    Amazing isn’t it? Great place for an anniversary!

Go to, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Atrani, Maiori, Minori, Cetara and Salerno you can do the whole lot by Bus or the Amalfi Jet ferry.

The best restaurant is La Torre Normanna in Maiori.

http://www.ristorantetorrenormanna.it/

We go to the Amalfi coast most years, but would say avoid Capri, it is a tourist trap and is very expensive, most go once, never go back
    Last edited by adrianw; 16th April 2022 at 20:28.

I would agree with everyone about the places to go on trips,eating out there’s loads,but don’t bother trying to go down to the sea front ,expensive and hard to get a spot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I would agree with everyone about the places to go on trips,eating out there’s loads,but don’t bother trying to go down to the sea front ,expensive and hard to get a spot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree with this. Wouldn’t say expensive but definitely not worth the hassle. Tourist central.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Go to, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Atrani, Maiori, Minori, Cetara and Salerno you can do the whole lot by Bus or the Amalfi Jet ferry.

The best restaurant is La Torre Normanna in Maiori.

http://www.ristorantetorrenormanna.it/

We go to the Amalfi coast most years, but would say avoid Capri, it is a tourist trap and is very expensive, most go once, never go back
    Also Paestum if you can get there. Fine Greek temples and museum. The main museum in Naples where they have many frescos, mosaics and displays frm Pompeii.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What I can remember it was a beautiful place we went in 1976 on our honeymoon. I was only Twenty and the wife was nineteen pretty adventurous at the time. Enjoy.
    Last edited by hilly10; 17th April 2022 at 07:21.

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Also Paestum if you can get there. Fine Greek temples and museum. The main museum in Naples where they have many frescos, mosaics and displays frm Pompeii.
    We’ve never made it to Paestum, the transport links don’t quit work out to get there and back in a one day, we base ourselves in Amalfi

Another interesting place is Solfatara where you can walk on the crust of an active volcano. Interesting experience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post

We went to Vesuvius and Pompeii. I'd been to Pompeii before in the '70s but it was still fascinating. Vesuvius is really not more interesting than a giant ashtray. We also took a boat to Capri for the day, with a boat trip round the island - that was brilliant, really a beautiful place. Take a day trip to Capri and have lunch there. Lots of choices.

Lots to go at here fella's. Thanks for the suggestions. Really looking forward to this now.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Amazing isn’t it? Great place for an anniversary!
    Oh yes. We had planed to return last year but sadly Covid stopped that. It’s beautiful inside too, lots of antique furniture and artwork. We couldn’t get over how good the food and service was, the proprietor knew we were there for our silver anniversary and had said that he would recommend somewhere to eat for that evening, but after all the excellent service and food we’d had during the week we couldn’t have imagined anywhere better to eat on our anniversary. We certainly weren’t disappointed and can highly recommend the place.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

https://www.lanticatrattoria.com/new...e/la-terrazza/

Restaurant is absolutely excellent with much of the vegetables grown by the owner.

Boat trip to Capri was great fun too.

Really interesting.
    So glad I found this thread, as my wife and I are going in October for a week to celebrate our Silver wedding.

Master
    We ate in `The Foreigners Club" nice food and service, not overly expensive.