closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newb Breitling B1 service question

Craftsman

Newb Breitling B1 service question

Good Afternoon gents

Just joined the forum and hoping for some advice.

I sent my 2011 B1 to Breitling (via Ernest Jones) for a battery replacement. I was expecting to pay £170ish for this. Weirdly three different brand of AD's gave me different quotes. So I went with EJ as they were the cheapest.

I got a call from them and apparently due to the age of my watch, it needs a complete service which will set me back a whopping £542. I'm not thrilled about paying this.

The watch has had a very easy life. Just desk diving. Never been any where near water and deffinitely no rough treatment.

Do you guys think it really needs a service or are they just trying it on? This watch is a keeper, so is it worth getting the service done for peace of mind?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Linc

7 years is a decent stint for seals and lubricants. However I assume Breitling are quoting for a full service including exchange movement and case refurb?

Master
    I sent my SuperOcean off for a new bezel insert £55
    The bill came to £499 due to the compulsory service and new hands, seals, and lots of other rubbish I never asked for.
    There was no option to remove those items from the service list, the only optional item was the bezel insert, the whole reason I sent them a watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Good Afternoon gents

Just joined the forum and hoping for some advice.

I sent my 2011 B1 to Breitling (via Ernest Jones) for a battery replacement. I was expecting to pay £170ish for this. Weirdly three different brand of AD's gave me different quotes. So I went with EJ as they were the cheapest.

I got a call from them and apparently due to the age of my watch, it needs a complete service which will set me back a whopping £542. I'm not thrilled about paying this.

The watch has had a very easy life. Just desk diving. Never been any where near water and deffinitely no rough treatment.

Do you guys think it really needs a service or are they just trying it on? This watch is a keeper, so is it worth getting the service done for peace of mind?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Linc
    What optional work have you been quoted? Even the complete service should be 'only' £475

Ask them if they can do a maintenance service instead

Blog Entries
    They are quoting you for a full service which is their policy - given that they recommend a full service every 5 years or every other service. It depends if you want your watch to come back to you as new - looks like EJ is adding their own extras to that amount - ani-digi service service prices are on the Breitling website.

You can send direct to Breitling service - who will send you out a service pouch and RMSD insured package to them and back for £15

Or you could get your battery change done by an independent- i’m sure others can recommend a few, but don’t go for any high street guys who could potentially ruin your B-1.

Martyn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    7 years is a decent stint for seals and lubricants. However I assume Breitling are quoting for a full service including exchange movement and case refurb?
    Hi,yes they said comple service, including new hands and polish. They didnt mention exchanging movement, just taking it apart and new lubricants

Why not get a suitable case opening tool, a pot of silicone grease for the gasket and do it yourself, save your self hundreds of pounds.

Quartz watches have very little wear on their drive trains due to the very low torque involved. They can go for decades without needing any oiling.

Mitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    What optional work have you been quoted? Even the complete service should be 'only' £475

Ask them if they can do a maintenance service instead
    They just mentioned replacing the hands and putting in new lubricant

I got my B-1 in September 2006 and thought it was one of the last available before the Airwolf replaced it. I guess it must have soldiered on for quite a bit longer if yours is a 2011.

Incidentally my last battery replacement was in October 2014 (so the watch was then eight years old), I did it via Goldsmiths, and the bill was £125 with no suggestion of a full service.

Hi Linc

I think I would pay it.

There is no doubt that these ana-digitals will at some point go back to the Breitling mothership and will require a service of this magnitude.

To be fair to Breitling, they are very clear about the full service being every 4-6 years. Is this really needed, of course not.

It is likely your watch is older than you think, as Ian said the B1 finished production in 2006.

With my own, an Aerospace, I’m budgeting on its first two “services” being battery changes, with a likely full service after that, which would make it 12 years old about assuming a 4yr battery life.

So I would pay it, Breitling will do a great job, then you can forget about a big bill for 10-12 years, although you might want to save to soften the blow when the inevitable comes!

BW

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Hi Linc

I think I would pay it.

There is no doubt that these ana-digitals will at some point go back to the Breitling mothership and will require a service of this magnitude.

To be fair to Breitling, they are very clear about the full service being every 4-6 years. Is this really needed, of course not.

It is likely your watch is older than you think, as Ian said the B1 finished production in 2006.

With my own, an Aerospace, I’m budgeting on its first two “services” being battery changes, with a likely full service after that, which would make it 12 years old about assuming a 4yr battery life.

So I would pay it, Breitling will do a great job, then you can forget about a big bill for 10-12 years, although you might want to save to soften the blow when the inevitable comes!

BW

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for advice (and everyone else). Yes, it is possible I may have got the year wrong. I bought it on sale from an AD, but can't remember exactly when, without digging out the box. I might have to bite the bullet. Just bad timing considering I've just spent £800 on a Longines and £535 on a Tissot expert solar
    Last edited by Linc; 20th June 2018 at 11:52.

Craftsman
    Hi All
    Just a bit of follow up. I decided to be a cheapskate and decline the full service. Breitling carried out just the battery replacement and reseal for £154. However they said that they’re unable to provide a guarantee. Anyway here he is back on my wrist

Blog Entries
    ^^^^

Looks in very good condition! Enjoy!

Maybe keep away from water if you are concerned.

Martyn

Craftsman
    Very nice!
    My Emergency Mission has just gone in for a maintenance service - fingers crossed it won't need anything else. I don't think they do just a battery replacement on this model.
    Toyed with the idea of getting someone else to do it or having a crack myself, but I think the peace of mind is worth the extra £££

They seemed to turn yours round reasonably quickly, how long did it take for them to get back with an assessment?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by domwells View Post
    Very nice!
    My Emergency Mission has just gone in for a maintenance service - fingers crossed it won't need anything else. I don't think they do just a battery replacement on this model.
    Toyed with the idea of getting someone else to do it or having a crack myself, but I think the peace of mind is worth the extra £££

They seemed to turn yours round reasonably quickly, how long did it take for them to get back with an assessment?

Hi Mate, thanks! It was pretty quick. They had it for just over a month and that includes me stalling while I decided what to do 8-)

Good luck with your Emergency, that's a fabulous watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks, yep I'm looking forward to getting it back.
    Will post some pictures when it's all done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    My B1 has had a couple of batteries in it's life, never been near one of the AD's or Brietling, usually trust it to my local trusted family friend 'watch guy' who as it happens is fully 'Brietling trained' but seeing as I don't get anything wet I have little interest in the seals I'd be happy to pop the back off myself, but the case back appears to need a special tool I don't have in my universal Chinese Tat ebay special 'watch kit' anyone know where to get one from that doesn't require selling a kidney for one with a Brietling logo on it. ;)