closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Wish I’d known this before chucking away loads of cash on a new Rolex..
    I can only speak as I find.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Agree with you fully on the SS model hysteria in the market at the moment and how a lot of buyers are under the illusion that every SS model delivers a ££profit.
    Just spotted a SS Datejust "unworn" listed on eBay at a £200 premium to list ....

I bumped into an acquaintance the other day. No idea he was interested in watches but he showed me his new (and very nice) white dial DJ. He got £500 off and 12 months interest-free credit without even asking.
    Last edited by David_D; 26th August 2018 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Shame you’ve only worn the watch once George. Time for you to move on fella, this seems to be doing you no good at all - think about your health.

How’s about a SOTC thread? That will cheer you and us up.
    Just bought a 40M Yachtmaster , blue. Got the warranty card , no hassle. So not all AD's are complete morons. Put my name down for a GMT as well.
    Also Rolex prices increasing again by 5% in October!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post
    Just bought a 40M Yachtmaster , blue. Got the warranty card , no hassle. So not all AD's are complete morons. Put my name down for a GMT as well.
    You’ve goofed there fella - you’ve logged in as worrybeads instead of George

Never mind you weren’t exactly pulling it off.

Master
    Yep AD’s seem happy to give the cards with the less desirable models. My DJ36 being one of them.

Let us know if you get the cards with the GMT won’t you?

Craftsman
    I heard some agents keep the cards for high profile models but not sure if the 40m yachtmaster is included
    Last edited by Newby; 22nd September 2018 at 15:53.

They’re not concerned about YM etc it’s Hulk, BLNR, Steel subs etc.

Master
    Rolex and their dealers stand to gain nothing financially by retaining guarantee cards....they get their profit either way. So this does seem a genuine attempt to sell watches to people who actually want them , to keep. Which is fair enough, although whether it will work is another matter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Rolex and their dealers stand to gain nothing financially by retaining guarantee cards....they get their profit either way. So this does seem a genuine attempt to sell watches to people who actually want them , to keep. Which is fair enough, although whether it will work is another matter.

I would have thought that keeping the cards would be a bit of a pita for the dealer if the truth be known .

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I would have thought that keeping the cards would be a bit of a pita for the dealer if the truth be known .
    Not really, it’s only for steel sports models, and they just get kept in a box in their safe.
    When it hits 12 months, the customer walks back in with the watch, and the warranty card is handed over.

Very little work involved and should prevent the watch hitting the grey market, at least in year 1.

It’s not nearly as much of a PITA as it would be if Rolex found one of their steel sports models at a grey dealer complete with warranty card, and believe me Rolex search and ADs do feel the wrath of Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Not really, it’s only for steel sports models, and they just get kept in a box in their safe.
    When it hits 12 months, the customer walks back in with the watch, and the warranty card is handed over.

Very little work involved and should prevent the watch hitting the grey market, at least in year 1.

It’s not nearly as much of a PITA as it would be if Rolex found one of their steel sports models at a grey dealer complete with warranty card, and believe me Rolex search and ADs do feel the wrath of Rolex.
    How do you know all this?

Interesting that you have to walk I. With the watch to get the card in a year. As that would also stop people selling and promising the card a year later.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Interesting that you have to walk I. With the watch to get the card in a year. As that would also stop people selling and promising the card a year later.

I’ve not been told you have to walk back in with the watch. I picked up a steel skydweller today and yes they keep the card for one year but the guy said after that do what you want with it we don’t care. I’m quite happy to wear it for a year and if I get another desirable piece in a year il move it on with no reprisals from the AD. Seems like a good way to keep the AD happy and also stay in the loop with the desirable models. Buy, wear for a year, if need be sell to fund the next watch on the list and everyone’s happy...

I know this is the case with my AD.
    I’ve just picked up a SubC and asked if they posted the card out in a year. They (watch Manager) replied for me just to come back in a year with the watch and I’ll be given th card.

Suits me perfectly as I’m in and out of town every few weeks anyway.

Other AD groups may have varying policies, but I like that the buyer has to go back with the watch to get the card.

My AD group is VERY strict with sticker removal and card retention. You also have to sign a contract in store with many points on it, including agreeing not to sell at all within 12 months. If you have to sell within 3 years it needs to be sold back to them. I’m not sure how legally binding it is, but locals get their watches a bit quicker and that’s great.
    Last edited by Nairn1980; 23rd September 2018 at 07:18.

My AD group is VERY strict with sticker removal and card retention. You also have to sign a contract in store with many points on it, including agreeing not to sell at all within 12 months. If you have to sell within 3 years it needs to be sold back to them. I’m not sure how legally binding it is, but locals get their watches a bit quicker and that’s great.
    Does the AD also state what value they will give on your watch within this stated 3-years period?
    Given that AD's do not in my experience generally pay even close to market (Watchfinder) rates for watches this could be a very injurious policy for the customer needing to raise some quick money to pay unforeseen bills with.
    However, even if the AD is refunding the full purchase price it could prove to be very lucrative for the AD buying back highly in demand models at a 36-month old RRP for them to then flip at current market rates.
    I'm guessing that this restriction of free trade would be almost impossible to enforce in law as absolute title of an item is transferred once that item is paid for in full by the customer - unless your AD is saying that you don't have to pay for the watch until that 3-year period is up?
    Either way, I'm betting that this policy doesn't extend across the range - only to those models where there is a concern that someone else could make a profit by flipping. All of which is rather ironic given the profitability of Rolex itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I know this is the case with my AD.
    I’ve just picked up a SubC and asked if they posted the card out in a year. They (watch Manager) replied for me just to come back in a year with the watch and I’ll be given th card.

Suits me perfectly as I’m in and out of town every few weeks anyway.

Other AD groups may have varying policies, but I like that the buyer has to go back with the watch to get the card.

Sounds like your AD is Laings. This is the contract that they have introduced in the last few months and before that, they were very flexible. I have had a number of desirable steel sports watches from them before they introduced this and there was no sticker removal or retention before.

I questioned them on the buy back within 3 years and they did say that it was only if they were able to offer market value, but their wording needs to change to reflect this as it certainly doesn’t state this in the contract

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Does the AD also state what value they will give on your watch within this stated 3-years period?
    Given that AD's do not in my experience generally pay even close to market (Watchfinder) rates for watches this could be a very injurious policy for the customer needing to raise some quick money to pay unforeseen bills with.
    However, even if the AD is refunding the full purchase price it could prove to be very lucrative for the AD buying back highly in demand models at a 36-month old RRP for them to then flip at current market rates.
    I'm guessing that this restriction of free trade would be almost impossible to enforce in law as absolute title of an item is transferred once that item is paid for in full by the customer - unless your AD is saying that you don't have to pay for the watch until that 3-year period is up?
    Either way, I'm betting that this policy doesn't extend across the range - only to those models where there is a concern that someone else could make a profit by flipping. All of which is rather ironic given the profitability of Rolex itself.

To add to my comments on this below, there is a list of models the policy applies to, and was most of the professional range and Skydwellers (not sure they are professional). There were some of the less desirable sports models on there too which I was surprised about

Presumably if you live abroad they don’t hang on to the warranty cards?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Presumably if you live abroad they don’t hang on to the warranty cards?
    Would you even be on the list?

I meant if picking up one in stock such as an Explorer. And yes, I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Wow that is some contract and as mentioned by another poster, probably not enforceable. Even if it was how would they ever know you’d sold elsewhere say two years later and if they did find out, what could they actually do?

Either they been threatened with loss of their AD status and as such they have tightened up their sales procedure, OR they have gone way over the top of enforcing some generic suggestions made by Rolex as a guide.

The AD I use has never even mentioned retention to me.

At the end of the day though and most important, you’ve got your watch :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I meant if picking up one in stock such as an Explorer. And yes, I am.

I meant if you live abroad would you be on the list.

Don’t think they keep cards of the common watches.

Master
    Three years - sell back to them!! What an absolute joke! But if it gets you the watch quicker, and you will keep it anyway I suppose it is happy days!

I signed no contract yesterday, the AD just kept the warranty card which they said they would keep for 12 months and the sales guy said “after 12 months we don’t care what you do with it, we just don’t want it re sold immediately”. Seems reasonable to me.

Craftsman
    Picked up a BLNR end of August AD gave me card and took 1 sticker off. Think it helped when I said I've run out of parking on my car when they started removing stickers

But never a mention of keeping the card

I was told in Harrods that it is there policy to give the customer everything with the watch, warranty card, tags etc and leave the sticker on if requested.

We keep hearing that 'I was told by my AD that they had been instructed to do this by Rolex' even where it appears to be in contravention of legislation governing the sale of goods.
    Presumably they would similarly be prepared to paint themselves green and jump naked off the roof of their shop in the middle of rush hour if Rolex told them to do so?
    This whole issue - just to buy a watch - is ridiculous
    That's my £0.02.

I really hope the Rolex bubble bursts soon so that this farce can end.

We keep hearing that 'I was told by my AD that they had been instructed to do this by Rolex' even where it appears to be in contravention of legislation governing the sale of goods.
    Presumably they would similarly be prepared to paint themselves green and jump naked off the roof of their shop in the middle of rush hour if Rolex told them to do so?
    That's my £0.02.

Exactly what legislation?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Yep AD’s seem happy to give the cards with the less desirable models. My DJ36 being one of them.

Let us know if you get the cards with the GMT won’t you?
    No, I will not , these guys established a conditional sale before they would even accept putting my name down. The also mentioned, at the time of sale I would have to sign a conditional bill of sale. The warranty will be retained for 6 months. They explained a lot more as to what is going on behind the scene.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sale of goods act which says it’s illegal to fix prices perhaps?

There’s enough inference on here that these actions are closely related to restrictive practices in a number of ways all of which I believe contravenes the sale of goods act.

That said, it’s better for the end user in many ways as it protects the residual value.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Sale of goods act which says it’s illegal to fix prices perhaps?

There’s enough inference on here that these actions are closely related to restrictive practices in a number of ways all of which I believe contravenes the sale of goods act.

That said, it’s better for the end user in many ways as it protects the residual value.
    Fixing prices is a different issue but I'd be interested to see where in the Sale of Goods Act it says it's illegal to fix prices.

That's my £0.02.

No instructions from Rolex, have this in writing. Behind the scenes is something totally different, based on my recent conversation with a family run AD. I kind of get as to how important the dealership is to them and how ruthless, Rolex can be. Well lets say it was a compelling story and highly believable.

That's my £0.02.

Except......I called Rolex recently as I couldn’t find out if I was even in the queue for a Pepsi and was told that they don’t tell the ADs what to do and it has nothing to do with them, funny I git a call from the AD two days later acknowledging my place on the list.

Funny isn’t it, if Rolex are in control how come there are three resellers who have them in stock, for a premium.

It’s madness.

Under most legal systems when you purchase an item and pay for it in full title absolute passes to you. The goods are then yours to do with as you please without let or hinderance from the seller.

Master
    Fixing prices is a different issue but I'd be interested to see where in the Sale of Goods Act it says it's illegal to fix prices.
    Hence the use of a question mark in my statement.

The ability of the manufacturer to force its dealer network to sell at a price set by them was outlawed years ago - I’m not certain which law it comes under.

So if Retailer A complains to Manufacturer Z that Retailer B is selling a product cheaper than Z recommended there’s nothing legally that A or Z can do about it.

Naturally Z can make it difficult for B in the future with restricted supply and / or other demands on the business etc. I would imagine in the Rolex case it’s easier to tow the line, not make waves and when Rolex shout “jump” to ask “how high?”

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think a lot of these questions about legality are something of a red herring. ADs clearly want to be seen to be doing their utmost to deter 'profiteering' so as to maintain their AD status with Rolex. If you don't agree with their sales conditions (legality aside) they can refuse to trade with you. They can also refuse to put you on a list.

Under most legal systems when you purchase an item and pay for it in full title absolute passes to you. The goods are then yours to do with as you please without let or hinderance from the seller.

It can be like that but sellers can also stipulate perfectly legal conditions in the contract as they are doing in these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Hence the use of a question mark in my statement.

The ability of the manufacturer to force its dealer network to sell at a price set by them was outlawed years ago - I’m not certain which law it comes under.

So if Retailer A complains to Manufacturer Z that Retailer B is selling a product cheaper than Z recommended there’s nothing legally that A or Z can do about it.

Naturally Z can make it difficult for B in the future with restricted supply and / or other demands on the business etc. I would imagine in the Rolex case it’s easier to tow the line, not make waves and when Rolex shout “jump” to ask “how high?”
    I assumed that question mark was meant in a sarcastic sense and you knew the relevant legislation.

Anyway, price fixing is another topic, the thread is about the cards.

It can be like that but sellers can also stipulate perfectly legal conditions in the contract as they are doing in these cases.
    If they wish to retain title to the goods either lease them out or don't charge the customer until the 3-years are up :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I think a lot of these questions about legality are something of a red herring. ADs clearly want to be seen to be doing their utmost to deter 'profiteering' so as to maintain their AD status with Rolex. If you don't agree with their sales conditions (legality aside) they can refuse to trade with you. They can also refuse to put you on a list.
    so true

If they wish to retain title to the goods either lease them out or don't charge the customer until the 3-years are up :)

They don't have title to the goods.

If the buyer doesn't like the conditions, don't buy the card/watch. Or, as someone on here was supposed to be doing, see them in court (though gone strangely quiet).

Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

If the seller can't do with their goods as they choose they can hardly be said to have title to the goods can they?
    In terms of any legal action, my understanding is that under contract law the customers contract is with the AD not with Rolex so any legal action would not be against Rolex but the AD.
    Ultimately this is a mid-range sports watch we are talking about; it's not a rare example of George Daniels haute horologie and this nonsense is simply above and beyond its price point.
    Fortunately there are no models in the current line up that I crave and even if I did I wouldn't support this farce - so you can rejoice that the waiting lists are down by at least one

Last edited by adg31; 23rd September 2018 at 13:55.

Apprentice

Red face

No instructions from Rolex, have this in writing. Behind the scenes is something totally different, based on my recent conversation with a family run AD. I kind of get as to how important the dealership is to them and how ruthless, Rolex can be. Well lets say it was a compelling story and highly believable.
    rolex can and do as thay like to any rolex delers family delers or not.thay do have a crown:

Master
    Blog Entries

My Final 2 cents

There is absolutely no legal bar to ADs selling any item at a premium price, even above mrrp. Bricks and mortar stores are struggling to stay in business. I am grateful to any AD who will sell me goods at mrrp when the grey market are selling at a £2K premium. If I'm not happy with the terms and conditions under which an AD would like to trade with me I am accutely aware that I can pay extra to trade elsewhere under different conditions. To complain about an AD not maximizing their profit potential by selling at mrrp instead of selling at a price the market will actually bear is completely lacking in both grace and realism. These are watches- which are desirable but we are not talking about food, gas/electric or water.

Master
    ‘Ultimately this is a mid-range’
    Ooooh that hurt, it really hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Ooooh that hurt, it really hurt
    Sorry - it wasn't intentional!

Master
    Sorry - it wasn't intentional!

I was joking

They don't have title to the goods.

If the buyer doesn't like the conditions, don't buy the card/watch. Or, as someone on here was supposed to be doing, see them in court (though gone strangely quiet).
    No, I am still here and will be seeing the AD in court. What I have realised is anything in this country is legal, until it goes in front of the judiciary to establish your claim, based on probability of facts. You also have to give the retailer multiple chances to correct their wrong. You also realise that even Retail AR is advisory and not binding. As often stated on this board, it needs a mad person like me, with the financial means to to take it to the courts, but I am months away from it.
    So that is why the 6 month's retention is something the AD can get away with, because the legal process will take longer than that.
    Hope this helps!

Three years - sell back to them!! What an absolute joke! But if it gets you the watch quicker, and you will keep it anyway I suppose it is happy days!
    I’m delighted to have the watch I wanted. I have no plans to sell it within 3 years anyway so I was happy with the terms.

It will put some off, but they’re ok with that.

The question about withholding the card if they don’t live in the UK? As far as I know they don’t sell steel sport models to tourists anyway, and only put locals on their lists. I’d imagine if an AK or EXP2 was in the window and a tourist wanted to buy, they’d not withhold the card. It’s more for Steel subs, hulk, Blnr etc etc.

No, I am still here and will be seeing the AD in court. What I have realised is anything in this country is legal, until it goes in front of the judiciary to establish your claim, based on probability of facts. You also have to give the retailer multiple chances to correct their wrong. You also realise that even Retail AR is advisory and not binding. As often stated on this board, it needs a mad person like me, with the financial means to to take it to the courts, but I am months away from it.
    So that is why the 6 month's retention is something the AD can get away with, because the legal process will take longer than that.
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck - please keep us posted with progress. It will be interesting to see what precedent emerges.