closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Craftsman
    Thread resurrection time!

About to buy some Redwings but am stuck on the colour to chose, definitely going for the 6inch moc toes, but cannot decode between the relative safety of Tan (875) and the marginally more risque Rust (8131), will be worn with cuffed raw demin, first world problems!! Any opinions?

I have a 20% discount code (applied before VAT so even better) that appears to be usable in conjunction with a 8% Quidco offer... will share if anyone is interested but only once I am sorted, don't want to find all the stock gone! ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think that every bloke should have a pair classic Timberlands in their collection.

Not the very light wheat coloured boot which I think are a bit chavvy, but the darker nubuck rust coloured ones or chocolate brown leather.

I've had a pair on the go for 20 years now. In that time I'm currently on my second pair, and these are seven years old and just broken in. I've got the darker nubuck boots, and although I've got plenty of other boots, these are the first I go to when the weather is particularly crappy.

Significantly cheaper than redwings too. As a previous owner if redwing boots, I don't get them at the price point they are now asking.
    On the strength of noTAGlove's post above (no pressure) and after [finally] coming to the realisation that Vans Classic Slip-Ons are really not suitable for year-round wear I've just ordered myself a pair of these:

Timberland Heritage 6-Inch Premium

Decided to go half a size down ordering UK10.5 instead of my usual UK11 after a bit of Googling, handy because the Timberland online store were very limited on size availability due to them being on sale; £170 down to £119 plus an extra 10% off and a cheeky 5.25% back from Topcashback with free shipping. Depending on how I get on with these and if the sale is still on I might splash out on a pair of the "Redwood Smooth" waterproofs

I also quite fancy a pair of the Thorogood 6" Moc Toes but didn't fancy resorting to eBay just yet.

I'll let you know how I get on

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    Thread resurrection time!

About to buy some Redwings but am stuck on the colour to chose, definitely going for the 6inch moc toes, but cannot decode between the relative safety of Tan (875) and the marginally more risque Rust (8131), will be worn with cuffed raw demin, first world problems!! Any opinions?

I have a 20% discount code (applied before VAT so even better) that appears to be usable in conjunction with a 8% Quidco offer... will share if anyone is interested but only once I am sorted, don't want to find all the stock gone! ;)
    I would go with the tan as its classic and can darken with age, Polish etc.

I would also be interested in your discount ;)

Today I have been wearing my muck boots sports Tay boot and I have concluded it is the ultimate winter boot, out with the dog all day in thick snow and mud with ice and it never faltered, also looks good in the pub and mine were much cheaper than the country wanna bees in their le chamau ( £30 from uttings last year in the sale! Bargain)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure how extreme they are for winter but I picked up some grey CAT boots half price and they seem pretty rugged. Goodyear welt and leather uppers, not sure if they are waterproof but I have some karrimors for that sort of thing.

Treated myself to two more pairs of grenson shoes too, but they won't ever see rain if I can help it!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    On the strength of noTAGlove's post above (no pressure) and after [finally] coming to the realisation that Vans Classic Slip-Ons are really not suitable for year-round wear I've just ordered myself a pair of these:

Timberland Heritage 6-Inch Premium

Decided to go half a size down ordering UK10.5 instead of my usual UK11 after a bit of Googling, handy because the Timberland online store were very limited on size availability due to them being on sale; £170 down to £119 plus an extra 10% off and a cheeky 5.25% back from Topcashback with free shipping. Depending on how I get on with these and if the sale is still on I might splash out on a pair of the "Redwood Smooth" waterproofs

I also quite fancy a pair of the Thorogood 6" Moc Toes but didn't fancy resorting to eBay just yet.

I'll let you know how I get on
    I do like those. Great colour too.

Craftsman
    Thanks, I did end up opting for tan for those reasons, also I google image searched and the boots that looked best with some wear were invariably tan.

You can currently get 20% off redwing at scorpion shoes using "RED14". I was wrong about the cashback, but if you sign up for their news letter before purchase you can get another code for £5!

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I would go with the tan as its classic and can darken with age, Polish etc.

I would also be interested in your discount ;)

Today I have been wearing my muck boots sports Tay boot and I have concluded it is the ultimate winter boot, out with the dog all day in thick snow and mud with ice and it never faltered, also looks good in the pub and mine were much cheaper than the country wanna bees in their le chamau ( £30 from uttings last year in the sale! Bargain)

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    I can highly recommend them. I have four pairs of Grensons and counting! The Freds are really comfortable and get worn regularly throughout the year.
    Picked up a pair of leather soled Freds in Tan and a pair double welt sole Freds in reddish/brown in their sale at 40% off.

Not sure if i should thank you or send you the bill ....

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    These are boots. Boots for walking. Walking in bad weather and rough terrain. Not fashion items.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

Master
    ^ Indeed they are, these are what I wear for work on a daily basis and I wouldn't have it any other way. At some point in the new year I'll be sending them back to the factory for resoling, had them over 3 years during which time they've stood up to anything & everything that's been thrown at them, literally!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Picked up a pair of leather soled Freds in Tan and a pair double welt sole Freds in reddish/brown in their sale at 40% off.

Haha - sorry about that! I'm sure you won't regret it though, I picked up a pair of Chelsea Boots in their sale. Nearly went for a second pair but somehow managed to resist!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

Very tempting! Was that an online deal?

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind adding a leather sole pair of Fred's to go with my 'C's. Where are they on offer gents?

Ta
    Paul

Master
    i have a number of pairs of timberland boots, i just think they are incredibly good.

2 of the pairs already shown

and

and both are supremely comfy, the first pair is a better winter boot though as it is a lot more sturdy. i prefer it to the regular 6 inch boot as it has a lower profile so feels less clunky

a more smart but fully waterproof boot i have is this:

the leather is super soft and pliable but the sole iss very grippy for such a low profile boot.

Newbear beat me to it, Altberg all the way. Uk product and sometimes used by the UK armed services. I have a pair of gortex lined walking boots that have been adapted by Altberg to serve as motorcycle boots. Best boots I have ever worn.

Master
    sometimes used by the UK armed services.
    As they currently have the contract to supply the Armys brown boots "sometimes" is a bit of an understatement. I've a few pairs, but my gentler winter boots are either from Think in Austria or Simpatex lined Loakes.

I can't afford to buy expensive boots. But I can recommend a nice pair of Brasher Goretex walking boots - I wear mine on most cold days (and they are one of the most comfortable shoes/boots I've ever worn) or days like today when almost anything goes in the office :)

For me, it is all about comfort, and I could not put up with any shoe that needs a disproportionate amount of time "breaking them in".

I do like the look of some of the shoes/boots on this thread but doubt I'd ever spend anywhere near the amount some cost - I think I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to shoes.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I wouldn't mind adding a leather sole pair of Fred's to go with my 'C's. Where are they on offer gents?

Ta
    Paul
    I visited two of their shops in london, Meard St and Lambs conduit St, only 20 minute walk between the two. Meard St didn't have leather soled Freds in my size but had the welted sole in reddish brown, and lambs conduit had the leather soled Fred in my size but not the welted sole.

The leather soled Freds aren't in the sale, but if you're nice they may throw in some boot oils/waxes/treatments etc . .

Stuarts were doing 50% off some styles of grensons but didn't have my size. http://www.stuartslondon.com/?gclid=...Fe3MtAodLS4Acw

Master
    These Loake Whardales have done me proud for a few winters and have plenty of life in them yet, but having lost a fair bit of weight they are a bit wide these days (who knew that losing weight could affect the feet?) - so they only get worn with insoles and thick socks, and only very casually.

As my primary winter boot requirement only has to deal with London weather and pavements, I've replaced them for work with some Crockett & Jones Northcotes - also with Dainite soles and storm welted, so more robust than their relatively sleek looks imply. Cracking quality.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to a heads up on this fine forum I am now sorted with my Grenson Fred which should do me as a winter boot.

z

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Thanks to a heads up on this fine forum I am now sorted with my Grenson Fred which should do me as a winter boot.

z
    Nice, hows the fit? True to size?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Man alive, are they bought using the pink pound?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Nice, hows the fit? True to size?
    I bought my regular size & I'd say they are slightly bigger - in width - but with thick/extra socks (as with Winter boots) they're just right.

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hmm. I wasn't aware that footwear defined sexuality. Maybe I should be careful where I wear them

z

Grand Master
    Regardless of orientation they are great boots
    RIAC

Craftsman
    You really are something; I though homophobics were a thing of the past but clearly not.

Craftsman
    Anybody tried Blundstone 500 boots? Quite fancy a pair of these for chucking on - look like they could've good for the winter.

http://www.mastershoe-sportshoe.co.u...FSnkwgodejAADA

Master
    So after looking high and low for an old pair of Timberlands that I bought about 18 years ago without any luck, I found myself browsing in the Timberland store in Westfield today and bought a pair of Chestnut Ridge Earthkeeper boots -
    http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/en...rt=2&cgid=null

They call them dark brown, but they actually look more like a green/grey sort of colour.

Anyway, they felt very comfortable in the shop and although I know they're unlikely to last as long as the previous pair (which I used whilst motorbiking; building; gardening; travelling and everything else) I thought I'd give the brand another go and see how I get on.

Also bought a pair of these from Peter Werth - not strictly winter boots, but it is winter and they are boots. Mainly for work these ones: http://www.peterwerth.co.uk/footwear...pron-boot.html

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    These.

Church's MacFarlanes (in Walnut Highland Grain on a commando sole) bought from Richard at http://www.shoehealer.co.uk/

I honestly can't recommend the boots or Richard highly enough.....
    The best boots that I've ever owned and the best online customer-service that that I've ever received.
    I really like the look of these! Can't seem to find any on the link you posted (or anywhere else for that matter) - are they current? Also, what sort of price do they go for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Anybody tried Blundstone 500 boots? Quite fancy a pair of these for chucking on - look like they could've good for the winter.

http://www.mastershoe-sportshoe.co.u...FSnkwgodejAADA
    They are ok,

I used to use them as my cheap runaround boots when I lived in Oz.

They used to be made is Australia iirc but are now mostly Chinese made.

The leather was always good and thick and oily and soles were well cushioned.

I used to pay about 50 or 60 a$ a pair and I think at £100 you would be disappointed

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    They are ok,

I used to use them as my cheap runaround boots when I lived in Oz.

They used to be made is Australia iirc but are now mostly Chinese made.

The leather was always good and thick and oily and soles were well cushioned.

I used to pay about 50 or 60 a$ a pair and I think at £100 you would be disappointed
    Thanks for that - good to know. I was looking at them as a cheaper alternative just to chuck on. I'll maybe wait and see if they turn up in the sales rather than pay £100 then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I like these but can't seem to find them on the Timberland website; perhaps it's just the pic, which model are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontblowsmoke View Post
    I though homophobics were a thing of the past but clearly not.
    Im not homophobic. I like where I live.

(c) P. Kay 2001

You really are something; I though homophobics were a thing of the past but clearly not.
    Weirdo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_money

Craftsman
    Neanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I really like the look of these! Can't seem to find any on the link you posted (or anywhere else for that matter) - are they current? Also, what sort of price do they go for?
    If you email Richard via the website shoehealer.co.uk I'm absolutely sure he'll be able to help.

I started off wanting some Trickers but didn't like the fit of the Stows (too narrow) or the colour of the wider Malton (too orange), so I sent an email and described my perfect boot (leather of the Alfred Sagent Hannover in a wider fit with a commando sole and a 'chunkier' brogue), and Richard suggested these Church's McFarlane's (at an RRP of £370 but I was offered a 10% discount straight away) which are perfect!
    He also had a 'McDuff' in the same last but which isn't brogued and just had a straight 'toe-cap', although he only had limited sizes in each.
    shoe healer's customer service is absolutely first class and if you mention that they've been recommended to you I'm sure he goes even further to make sure you're happy......
    I honestly don't think I'll buy my boots anywhere else from now on.
    Last edited by spuds; 30th December 2014 at 21:19. Reason: Typo's

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I like these but can't seem to find them on the Timberland website; perhaps it's just the pic, which model are they?
    they are a current model, Rugged earthkeeper or summat:

http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/en...otwear_sixinch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    they are a current model, Rugged earthkeeper or summat:

http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/en...otwear_sixinch
    Thanks for that, but they're not in the sale and they haven't got my size anyway

Assuming all goes well with the ones that are en route I think these may well be next:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    They look very similar to my Cheaney Tweed C which are current
    RIAC

Redwing, casual winter boots for me, used to be Timberland but Redwing fit a lot better,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    Redwing, casual winter boots for me, used to be Timberland but Redwing fit a lot better,

Just out of interest why do red wing fit better, thanks?

In my opinion its the other way around, Timberland perfect fit straight from the box, Redwing on the other hand weeks of blisters trying to break them in, just my experience nothing more.

Neanderthal
    FFS grown up, I have grey hair, people talk about ''the grey pound'' I don't suggest they are oldophobic or greyophobic, get a grip, no wonder the country is up the creek.

Bye the way maybe this is your kind of thing
    https://www.trynono.co.uk/PRO_UK_F3/index.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Just out of interest why do red wing fit better, thanks?
    Possibly just the shape of my feet, it's true that the moc toe are quite a hard boot, so take a little breaking in but they mould perfectly to the shape of your feet.The 6" moc toe in the centre of the pic are around 5 years old, worn them to destruction but they are still going strong.

Like said Timberland make some great boots,I just get along with a Redwing a lot better.

Master
    Possibly just the shape of my feet, it's true that the moc toe are quite a hard boot, so take a little breaking in but they mould perfectly to the shape of your feet.The 6" moc toe in the centre of the pic are around 5 years old, worn them to destruction but they are still going strong.

Like said Timberland make some great boots,I just get along with a Redwing a lot better.
    Thanks for that its something I may look at for my next boot.

Jon

Just picked a pair of these up from the Timberland Store in Cambridge in the sale, very comfy and waterproof!

Master
    ^ Nice!

Still keen to try a pair of Thorogood moc toes if I can track them down.

Craftsman
    FFS grown up, I have grey hair, people talk about ''the grey pound'' I don't suggest they are oldophobic or greyophobic, get a grip, no wonder the country is up the creek.

Bye the way maybe this is your kind of thing
    https://www.trynono.co.uk/PRO_UK_F3/index.aspx
    Is this yours?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wSPANO5qmh...1600/RNbI9.gif

Master
    Blog Entries
    My friend said he could pick up some Loake wharfdales for £100. I jumped at the chance and I love them. Worn them everyday since they arrived!

Laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I never thought id start,
    With New Year so close I hope this helps,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Craftsman
    Laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I never thought id start,
    With New Year so close I hope this helps,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/male+chauvinist

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homophobic