closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most popular watch forum in the UK

Journeyman

Most popular watch forum in the UK

Is TZ UK the most popular watch forum here in the UK? WUS seems to beat it in terms of traffic...
    Opinions are welcome!

It certainly seems to have become popular with some all of a sudden.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

This is like waking up on a cold morning and finding the world under a blanket on snow. There are better ways of reaching fifty posts and getting access to the Sales Corner than this, really.

Someone is bored...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    This is like waking up on a cold morning and finding the world under a blanket on snow. There are better ways of reaching fifty posts and getting access to the Sales Corner than this, really.
    I disagree, this is certainly the best way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing

(No one will ever know).

I see a reset to zero in your future.

There is a clue in the titles: watchuseek contains US and TZUK contains UK.

Which is the bigger country with a bigger population?

Craftsman
    Ha, having had a browse I have noticed a certain dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by ponch10 View Post
    Is TZ UK the most popular watch forum here in the UK? WUS seems to beat it in terms of traffic...
    Opinions are welcome!
    wus is like a supermarket

Seems popular with you anyway, 50 post in a day.

Journeyman
    Jet lagged and interested in what's on sale. I stuck to the rule though, why the harsh comments?

WUS wins on traffic in the UK too anyway, hence my legit question.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Jet lagged and interested in what's on sale. I stuck to the rule though, why the harsh comments?

WUS wins on traffic in the UK too anyway, hence my legit question.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    This is not a sales site with a forum attached, it is a community where members can trade or sell between ourselves in relative safety. Some rocket posting 50 times in a day to gain access is not someone who has earned any trust or built any kind of relationships. You're within the rules but not the spirit.

If you knew WUS has more traffic from the UK then there was no question for you you ask, it was just yet another step towards the magical 50; see my first paragraph.

In time you may prove to be a worthwhile contributor but for now I wouldn't sell you the skin off a s***e and I certainly wouldn't buy from you.

Definition of speed posting:
    “me too”
    “lol”
    “thanks”
    “:)”
    “absurd”

WUS is far more tolerant of such monosyllabic grunts, I suspect.

I can understand where you’re coming from, however, to answer your question:

The sales corner is seen by most as a valuable resource. As per your original question, there are not many forums in the Uk that offer this. Some people (not necessarily you) have been known to take advantage of this and dilute the quality of the for sale items, plus the safety of dealing on the forum, so newer members who make this obvious are often eyed with suspicion.

This forum started off much smaller and maintains some of the spirit of a group of guys who want to talk about watches and have a legitimate interest in horology rather than just wanting to access a place where most things are discounted. In short, there is an unwritten rule where new members will act as gentlemen and ‘earn their stripes’ by contributing BEFORE seeing what they can get out of the forum sales corner.

Subsequently, when people join the forum and it appears as though they are posting nonsense just to get to sales corner (rather than having a genuine interest in contributing) it can appear disingenuous at best.

Don’t treat the place like WUS and you won’t go far wrong! Speed posting and vapid thread topics aren’t accepted quite so readily.

Anyway, welcome! Just answering your question, so I hope you understand the comments a little better now. Hope someone will sell to you!

Journeyman
    OK people, I think we got off on the wrong foot here.
    Not that I need to explain myself, but I sense too much harshness and passive aggressiveness that makes me think something did not come across rightly.
    I am just an enthusiast looking to share views and perhaps transact if the right opportunity arises.
    WUS or other forums I use do not have the 50 posts requirement. I understand your comments, but I don't think the bashing is fair. If the rule was "50 useful comments of at least 100 words each", then I would agree with you.

I don't quite understand the cold shoulder about the forum comparison. WUS is US centric, I live in the UK, I wanna hear from people in the UK what they think, despite the statistics that only addresses "visitors".

Do you think the harshness is in the spirit of this forum?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I can understand where you’re coming from, however, to answer your question:

The sales corner is seen by most as a valuable resource. As per your original question, there are not many forums in the Uk that offer this. Some people (not necessarily you) have been known to take advantage of this and dilute the quality of the for sale items, plus the safety of dealing on the forum, so newer members who make this obvious are often eyed with suspicion.

This forum started off much smaller and maintains some of the spirit of a group of guys who want to talk about watches and have a legitimate interest in horology rather than just wanting to access a place where most things are discounted. In short, there is an unwritten rule where new members will act as gentlemen and ‘earn their stripes’ by contributing BEFORE seeing what they can get out of the forum sales corner.

Subsequently, when people join the forum and it appears as though they are posting nonsense just to get to sales corner (rather than having a genuine interest in contributing) it can appear disingenuous at best.

Don’t treat the place like WUS and you won’t go far wrong! Speed posting and vapid thread topics aren’t accepted quite so readily.

Anyway, welcome! Just answering your question, so I hope you understand the comments a little better now. Hope someone will sell to you!

Thanks for your comment Thom.

As a response to someone gaming the system and covering the forum with a load of inane rubbish, very much so.

And at most other times, too, tbh.

WUS or other forums I use do not have the 50 posts requirement. I understand your comments, but I don't think the bashing is fair. If the rule was "50 useful comments of at least 100 words each", then I would agree with you.
    Don't tell me, tell him:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=2

Considering your posts on the 16710 thread, I think you’re getting off pretty lightly here!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Considering your posts on the 16710 thread, I think you’re getting off pretty lightly here!
    you mean no space for contrarians here?

We will hear no criticism of Rolex, certainly.

Tbh the problem here is the rule, it makes no sense and doesn't seem to be enforced when speed posting occurs. It needs to be combined with a time element or changed entirely IMO.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post

Tbh the problem here is the rule, it makes no sense and doesn't seem to be enforced when speed posting occurs. It needs to be combined with a time element or changed entirely IMO.

Well, if that is the spirit, I would agree the rule is not well made.

I only wished that all the energy put in the resentment towards who offended in good faith was channeled to make constructive changes to the rule then.

Well the word starts with C so you're close

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Well the word starts with C so you're close

care to help with the spelling?

Well, if that is the spirit, I would agree the rule is not well made.

I only wished that all the energy put in the resentment towards who offended in good faith was channeled to make constructive changes to the rule then.
    You could try sending a long thoughtful PM to Swanbourne, as he has the keys to the rules cabinet, but he's a bit busy today, you might only get a brief response.

Journeyman
    You could try sending a long thoughtful PM to Swanbourne, as he has the keys to the rules cabinet, but he's a bit busy today, you might only get a brief response.

I wonder if anyone of the longstanding members has ever done it though?
    He will surely listen more to you guys than to a newbie.

care to help with the spelling?

No

Master
    Go on give it a try I hear he is very understanding.
    Paul.

Craftsman

There is a time element of 60 days before you can have access to sales corner. The OP has been a member since Jan 2018 so has already met the time requirement.

Surely if you're brave enough to make a mockery of the rule, you're brave enough to address the person who wrote it?

Journeyman
    Surely if you're brave enough to make a mockery of the rule, you're brave enough to address the person who wrote it?
    never made a mockery of the rule. I read it and complied with it. However, considering how many people got pissed off, I guess then the rule is not quite as you guys want it.

The rule is fine. It allows us to spot people like you, who have apparently no interest in the community but want a marketplace.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

never made a mockery of the rule. I read it and complied with it. However, considering how many people got pissed off, I guess then the rule is not quite as you guys want it.
    You actually think someone writes a rule just to see if you've got the ability to click "post" fifty times? Any fool can work out the motivation behind the rule, you chose to evade it.

Also, any fool can see that it's possible to comply with the word and mock the spirit at the same time. As St-J points out, the rule is good, because it reveals who has a collegial spirit and who cuts corners.

So you’ve been here for 5 minutes and already decided the rules need changing .

I’ve been here for 14 years and can assure you they don’t.

It will be interesting to see how long you stay...

Simon

It's a weird one. The current system assumes that someone who meets the criteria is a reliable seller/buyer. Not necessarily. How many potential customers are we (as sellers) missing out on because they get roasted for speed posting?

I agree it's not an easy one to fix, but I found on my own forum that the answer was a sub for the marketplace, and to make it visible to all, because that benefits sellers. I see no correlation between marketplace activity and the wider community feel, except that quite often people who only come to sell (seen as inherently 'bad' with a rule like TZ) often stick around and join in.

Of course the solution means massive software change that will be expensive and potentially impossible, and our host may not have the appetite for it, which is completely up to him. So as far as I see it, his house, his rules. However, I think there's a big opportunity missed to not capitalise on the forum's reputation and audience.
    Last edited by ped; 18th December 2018 at 14:46.

make it visible to all, because that benefits sellers.
    You're assuming that all sellers think that quantity is better than quality. This seller very much likes knowing that drive-by scammers aren't replying to adverts, is more than happy to accept lower prices as the consequence, and is very grateful that this forum and its well-tended, community-based SC exists.

Journeyman
    Apparently, mine is not the first case. And as it seems, a bunch of individuals are keen on leading the bashing on newbies, heating up tones unnecessarily.
    So after clarifying the misunderstanding, I just would like to have an interest in watch discussions while respecting the rules. Definitely didn't join to be a target of the forum police.

You're assuming that all sellers think that quantity is better than quality. This seller very much likes knowing that drive-by scammers aren't replying to adverts, is more than happy to accept lower prices as the consequence, and is very grateful that this forum and its well-tended, community-based SC exists.
    Well as I see it, if you're selling, you want a buyer. It's up to you if you decide to sell or not after looking at the member. We find on Basschat.co.uk that most of the time items are bought and sold within the community, and when they aren't, it's to a new member who becomes a part of the community.

It would be very obvious if a 'scammer' tried to scam a TZ member - I think we all do the necessary checks regardless and are well protected against any problems, which can occur, let's not forget, with so called trustworthy members too! Scammers don't tend to target relatively small close knit and very specific forums.

Opening the sales area as visible to guests wouldn't cause a huge influx of 'outsiders' - but attract more watch enthusiasts. That would indeed bring a new set of challenges of it's own, and like I said, if the owner isn't interested, cool. I like it here.
    Last edited by ped; 18th December 2018 at 14:58.

Draw a line under this thread and start a new one - your current collection and with nice pics - always good to actually talk about the watches which is why we are meant to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Draw a line under this thread and start a new one - your current collection and with nice pics - always good to actually talk about the watches which is why we are meant to be here.
    Always a good way to start!

Usually the most genuine and trusted way to introduce yourself in my book.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Usually the most genuine and trusted way to introduce yourself in my book.

I agree. Getting access to the sales thread is one thing but the reality is you need to build trust and a profile to do anything meaningful with it.

Craftsman
    I only visit this forum & another Rolex forum when it comes to watches. I heard about the SC and watches selling there, but since I’m not selling anything it doesn’t appeal to me.
    Though I have noticed a more hostile approach when it comes to selling there and gaining access, but again doesn’t bother me since I have nothing to sell and don’t tend to either as my current watches are keepers

never made a mockery of the rule. I read it and complied with it. However, considering how many people got p***** off, I guess then the rule is not quite as you guys want it.
    One rule that you can be sure the forum owner applies quite stringently is that there be no profanity in the public ares of the forum, even when quoting someone.
    F.T.F.A.

World turns.
    Ponch joins, speed posts.
    World keeps turning.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    World turns.
    Ponch joins.........

11 months pass by....

speed posts.
    World keeps turning.

Time will tell.
    FTFY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    World turns.
    Ponch joins, speed posts.
    World keeps turning.
    Another addition to the ignore list.

Time will tell.
    Fixed that for you.

Most popular watch forum in the UK

Apparently, mine is not the first case. And as it seems, a bunch of individuals are keen on leading the bashing on newbies, heating up tones unnecessarily.
    So after clarifying the misunderstanding, I just would like to have an interest in watch discussions while respecting the rules. Definitely didn't join to be a target of the forum police.
    There’s your solution. I’d suggest posting more than just “:)” “lol” “absurd” etc in threads. Posting complete sentences (as you did in several threads), and joining in the discussion, clears the whiff of “speed posting” IMHO, but when someone posts less than 25 characters in a number of threads, the red flags go flying. That’s been my observation in many forums, it’s not unique to this one or its clientele.

Just a suggestion.

Journeyman
    as an aside lads, how long is this forum running? i remember a forum uk based 10 or 15 years ago when i got into dive watches. but there was no-one on it. hardly a sinner. but i vaguely remember a user called swanbourne and it seemed to have doctor who references. i drifted away from watches and when i went back i lost my log in details. it couldnt have been this site in an earlier incarnation could it?

Not sure, but I’ve been here for 14 years and there are members who joined well before me....

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk