closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The other Moon watch

Journeyman

The other Moon watch

Late last year I read about the 'other Moon watch' and decided to treat myself to the Bulova Lunar Pilot for Xmas. H Samuel's had sale on with 25% off so it was a good time to buy.

Having just adjusted the time for BST the watch seems to be running +0.5 sec a month, pretty impressive for a relatively low price watch.

Otherjohn

Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post
    Late last year I read about the 'other Moon watch' and decided to treat myself to the Bulova Lunar Pilot for Xmas. H Samuel's had sale on with 25% off so it was a good time to buy.

Having just adjusted the time for BST the watch seems to be running +0.5 sec a month, pretty impressive for a relatively low price watch.

Otherjohn
    That is impressive! Do like these, but missed the last keenly priced one that popped up.

Perhaps it's a Bulova thing - I bought one of the recent "Devil Diver" reissues last year, and it's a phenomenal timekeeper - not formally measured it, but I keep it on a winder and it's the best mechanical I own, bar none - on a par with the quartz watches I own!

Master
    Yeah, I bought one of them for my daughter last year when we were going to Florida with a view to visit Kennedy Space Centre...

....shame its to big for her wrist so her Dad has to wear it from time to time 😜

They are very nice watches.

Craftsman
    OP what size us your wrist? It looks really good on you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is especially good that they have now got these, more faithful versions with the steel case, the plainer Bulova script and no date, just tlike the original.
    Great watch

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It is especially good that they have now got these, more faithful versions with the steel case, the plainer Bulova script and no date, just tlike the original.
    Great watch
    The OP's is the polished version. They still don't make a faithful reproduction.

Losing the date window and making the Bulova script more discreet are big improvements over the 96B251. I'd like to see a version with a mechanical movement with 12 hour chronometer (or at least lose the 262 kHz) and painted lume batons to bring it much closer to Scott's 88510/01.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

These UHF Bulovas are all nice enough watches, I had one of the Moonwatches and a 666 diver for a while, but I think they're nice watches for 'normal' people, rather than enthusiasts.

I found the Moonwatch nice enough, but not a watch I'd often go to the box for when deciding what to wear - It's legibile, attractive and the smooth second hand is a nice feature, but I can get all that from many mechanical watches and the Moonwatch, for me, just didn't feel that special.

I suspect Mr Curta's suggestion would definitely help in that respect.

I bought the 666 when I broke my original hummer version and I felt much the same about that. Once the hummer was fixed, the UHF was surplus to requirements and hardly ever got worn.

In the days before having a watch collection, I would have found either a perfectly acceptable, even desirable, daily wear, but with a few watches in the box, neither felt special enough to wear often and so both went.

I fear this may sound a bit snobbish, but I have many cheap watches that I do wear, so it's not about value.

Of course, there's nothing to say I was right and others are wrong, indeed I wouldn't say there is anything WRONG with these Bulovas, watches are a very subjective thing in the end, but my experience was that my enthusiasm for them was short-lived.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 8th April 2020 at 11:12.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    If only they were between 40mm and 42mm, however I believe the movement is too big.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Yeah, I bought one of them for my daughter last year when we were going to Florida with a view to visit Kennedy Space Centre...

....shame its to big for her wrist so her Dad has to wear it from time to time 

They are very nice watches.

I like your philosophy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    OP what size us your wrist? It looks really good on you.

Only 7.5 inch wrist, Its wears well for its size, and I like the nylon strap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The OP's is the polished version. They still don't make a faithful reproduction.
    I agree, the satinised case version has a date window and different Bulova font on the dial. Ideally I'd like to same dial in a satin case. If prices drop enough I might be tempted to buy another and do a movement swap. But the 96B251 is a limited edition and sells for £100 more for a box and an extra strap.

Otherjohn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    These UHF Bulovas are all nice enough watches, I had one of the Moonwatches and a 666 diver for a while, but I think they're nice watches for 'normal' people, rather than enthusiasts.

I found the Moonwatch nice enough, but not a watch I'd often go to the box for when deciding what to wear - It's legibile, attractive and the smooth second hand is a nice feature, but I can get all that from many mechanical watches and the Moonwatch, for me, just didn't feel that special.

I suspect Mr Curta's suggestion would definitely help in that respect.

I bought the 666 when I broke my original hummer version and I felt much the same about that. Once the hummer was fixed, the UHF was surplus to requirements and hardly ever got worn.

In the days before having a watch collection, I would have found either a perfectly acceptable, even desirable, daily wear, but with a few watches in the box, neither felt special enough to wear often and so both went.

I fear this may sound a bit snobbish, but I have many cheap watches that I do wear, so it's not about value.

Of course, there's nothing to say I was right and others are wrong, indeed I wouldn't say there is anything WRONG with these Bulovas, watches are a very subjective thing in the end, but my experience was that my enthusiasm for them was short-lived.

M
    Totally agree with all of the above:

Its not special in any way and doesn't get a lot of wrist time.

But I think its a great watch for a £300 budget and I really like the accuracy.

Otherjohn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherjohn View Post
    Only 7.5 inch wrist, Its wears well for its size, and I like the nylon strap.
    Cheers.

Loving mine...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Losing the date window and making the Bulova script more discreet are big improvements over the 96B251. I'd like to see a version with a mechanical movement with 12 hour chronometer (or at least lose the 262 kHz) and painted lume batons to bring it much closer to Scott's 88510/01.
    Oh yes, that is very lovely:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberta...r-1-6-million/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Loving mine...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Looks good on the khaki strap.

Otherjohn

Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    If only they were between 40mm and 42mm, however I believe the movement is too big.

In total agreement with this

For goodness sake Bulova - make a smaller version!

This watch is just too much.

It's too big, too black, too cheap, too precise, and too well made for the price... if it was three times the price, enthusiasts would have liked it three times as much.

I've had my Looney for nearly two years and if it came to it, it could be my only watch. Its best feature is the four-level dial and its worse the weak lume.
    Last edited by abraxas; 9th April 2020 at 13:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

It's not the watch that is too big. Your wrists are too thin.

It's not the watch that is too big. Your wrists are too thin.
    Or tastes not refined enough😂

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Or tastes not refined enough
    There is no accounting for taste. Quantity has its own quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Agree with this. Tried it on and was just too big. My wrist size is the same as the original posters (7.5inches), but for me was too large.

My sweet spot is 34-37mm for dress style watches and 38-40mm for sports watches. I do however have bigger sports watches, but then the size is part of the aesthetic.

I had one when they first came out. It is a great watch for the price, well made and very accurate.

But as others have said just a bit too big. I don’t know if it’s the movement that dictates the size but it would be good if they could make a smaller version.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m an enthusiast and a fan of the UHF Bulova. I find this Bulova movement a joy to own and quite mesmerising.

This watch is just too much ... too precise, and too well made for the price... if it was three times the price, enthusiasts would have liked it three times as much.
    I agree. Some people understandably swoon over the Spring Drive, yet the Bulova UHF’s sweeping seconds provide the same visual treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

I agree. Some people understandably swoon over the Spring Drive, yet the Bulova UHF’s sweeping seconds provide the same visual treat.
    The Lunar Pilot chrono-seconds beat at 8 beat per second (so it looks like a mechanical)... whereas the 3 handers, beat 16 times per sec and look more like a spring drive.