closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Water Rower with S4 monitor

Craftsman

Water Rower with S4 monitor

Currently £699 at Costco. Seems a decent deal as that's around what a decent one goes on eBay 2nd hand.

Any opinions before I invest.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

That looks a great price for a fantastic bit of kit. I paid a lot more for mine and it’s the only piece of home gym equipment that still gets used regularly after two years, even by my missus too.

Craftsman
    Yeah good point. Was thinking my missus and son aged 11 could use it as well. Like that it can be stored away as well.

Master
    Not used one, but have used a concept2 for years, any view on how they compare?

Bought one off eBay a few months ago - best thing ever!.

Stands up in the corner and is very unobtrusive - very natural row compared to Concept.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I started a WTB a couple of weeks back and would have bought this before then as that's a great price.

My only reservation is that the web suggests they all leak after a while hence the sale of a leak repair kit. Wouldn't have stopped me buying at that price though and the sound of whooshing water is nicer than an air fan.

I've bought a concept dynamic rower in the end which I collect at the weekend as it was a good price and their kit is seemingly known for being robust with the concept 2 models lasting years with occasional servicing. The dynamic is said to reward technique and less harsh on the back plus it's a smaller footprint all of which appealed to me.

Journeyman
    very nearly bought one but went for a model d.
    they are a far nicer bit of kit for the home environment but as the gym has concept 2s decided to stay with it.

the water maintenance topping up and leaks were a consideration but wouldn't have put me off. they sound lively on stroke as well.

Master
    But no good if you store/use in the shed or garage... the water freezes :-( Nearly got one a few years ago but this was an issue for me.

Craftsman
    Aha good point about water freezing. Mine is going in the loft fortunately so shouldn't freeze.

I tried both the water rower and concept 2. Both are very good and have solid reputations.

You do get a different feel from both of them and it may come down to your preference. I don't think there is a right or wrong.

In the end I went for concept 2 with PM5 monitor as I got a lightly used one for an absolute steal. The latest PM5 swing it for me as you can connect to your phone and use the Live Rowing app ( https://liverowing.com/ ) to create custom sessions or use ones that have already been created. Plus row against friends (not tried) or your previous best.

I don't believe the water rower has that option or the app ecosystem to support it.

Both are very good and a great way to stay fit. I've set myself a challenge to row a marathon in June so working up to that.

Would a few drops of anti-freeze negate the freezing possibility?

I am very tempted by this as I was planning to buy a Concept 2 shortly. I have never bought from Costco and I believe you need to be sponsored to become a member, does this also apply online?

I have a water rower. First there should be no risk of freezing because it’s beautiful enough to fit in your lounge.
    Besides, in the shed you will not use it. Also, I believe damage by frost would be limited as there is ample space in the tank for water expansion. I would seriously advise against freezing though.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    When I was considering a water rower I contacted the company and they advised don't risk it. ISTR it took them a couple of weeks to reply to my email as well :-(

btw SWMBO won't have it in the house.... 5:30 this morning I was out in the shed. I have one of those halogen heaters out there, I tried a blower/fan heater but the halogen is more direct. The problem I have though is water dripping on me from the roof as the frost on the inside thaws out - keeps you on your toes :-)
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 10th January 2019 at 10:48.

Thanks for starting the thread OP, this seems like a bargain and since I was in the market anyway I just took the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I have never bought from Costco and I believe you need to be sponsored to become a member, does this also apply online?
    I simply bought an online membership for £15/yr

Master
    I had a water rower years ago but it made me feel sea sick (seriously) so I sold it on. Use a Concept 2 at the gym without any problems.

Master
    I have a water rower. Used to love it, but an unrelated boxing injury to my elbow & then an unrelated ankle incident has seen it unused for a while & the weight pile on.

Now retired from boxing training, so can’t wait for the ankle to fully heal, so I can get back into rowing, although my fitness level will be low after so many months out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of interest how quiet / noisy are the water rowers compared to a Concept ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread OP, this seems like a bargain and since I was in the market anyway I just took the plunge.

I simply bought an online membership for £15/yr
    Your welcome.

Think I will tomorrow as well.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Some web reviews suggested the seat travelling can be as/more noisy than the blades.

Would also be interested to know of any noise issues especially if they’d be suitable in a flat? Do fancy one of these but don't want to upset the neighbours!

No problem in a flat
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I can listen to an iPad playing an episode at normal volume without annoying anyone.

Reality is the iPad annoys more than the iPad, so I wear headphones to listen to the sound, only in one ear as I love the water noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10 View Post
    Would also be interested to know of any noise issues especially if they’d be suitable in a flat? Do fancy one of these but don't want to upset the neighbours!
    The Waterrower is very significantly quieter than a Concept & it's a different type of noise too - a swishy sort of sound as opposed to the fan blades. You can easily sit in front of the TV at fairly normal volume levels & listen to it while you row away.

Oh... Thanks... would be good for evening workouts without waking the kids then I need to look into this... thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    The Waterrower is very significantly quieter than a Concept & it's a different type of noise too - a swishy sort of sound as opposed to the fan blades. You can easily sit in front of the TV at fairly normal volume levels & listen to it while you row away.

Cheers guys good to hear, I won’t be doing extreme or late night rowing so think it would be fine. I guess it’s the neighbours below I’m concerned about and maybe the seat noise is worse than the water..? Anyway just need to convince myself I’ll use it long term now! 🤔

Craftsman
    if anyone wants this deal you have this evening to purchase. I finally bit the bullet and bought the rower today.

Craftsman
    Very good price & paid nearly that much for a year old one about 2 years ago. I use mine 5 days a week whilst watching the news in the evening. Never had any issue with leakage or had to top it up yet.

Craftsman
    yes using it regularly now. Seems a decent investment so far...

Craftsman
    A resurrection in January, what a surprise!

Really like the look of these, and in a flat, sound is also key for the neighbours.

Are they basically all the same or are there some options to go for / avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Aside from the A1 (monorail), M1 (metal) and S1 (brushed stainless), then it’s just the choice of wood.

Believe they all use the same water row element across the range, so it’s just the frame differentiating the models.

I don’t use mine as much as I should or need to as had a few injuries over the last 2 years. It’s only done 58km, which is nothing!

Craftsman
    Thanks, been doing a bit of googling and everything sounds great. Can't find anything in way of a discount etc so think the hire before you buy option is the way forward.

Does anyone have the A1, or has tried both? Seems a £200 decision for the dual rail/aesthetic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Thanks, been doing a bit of googling and everything sounds great. Can't find anything in way of a discount etc so think the hire before you buy option is the way forward.

Does anyone have the A1, or has tried both? Seems a £200 decision for the dual rail/aesthetic.
    The A1 comes with a simple monitor which doesn't offer heart rate monitoring so I'd stick with the main version. The different names are just different wood (except for the aluminium ones of course):
    Natural - Ash
    Club - stained Ash
    Classic - Black Walnut (looks lovely)
    Oxbridge - Cherry
    British Edition - White Oak

There are a few on Gumtree:
    https://www.gumtree.com/search?searc...l&q=waterrower

And some on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rower&_sacat=0

In general serious rowers seem to look down on the Waterrower & the Concept machines have a very wide following. If you're using it indoors then the Watterower is much quieter & easier to store. For use in a garage I might look at a Concept.

Master
    Yes the concept ones seem to have all the club following, which is where the British rowing model seems at odds.

I love the way it stores so easily (lucky given how long it stays in that position!). I’m yet to learn to enjoy a row on it, but then again I find that with all exercise to be fair.

I looked at selling to get some other cardio trainer, but they all just take up too much space & look awful by comparison.

Either back on it tonight or tmrw at 5.30am, not sure which yet!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

I've got the A1 simply because it fitted in an odd space, it's handsome, easy to use and far more like actual rowing than the Concept, The seat is noisier but the runners can be polished and wiped down with Molybdenum for a slightly quieter effect. The water really is nice and is delightfully calming. However, the instrumentation is pretty basic. One real difference is that the foot position feels more natural on the AI.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments, went down the hire to buy route in case it was terrible. First proper row today and really like it.

Here’s the set up - got the Grand Seiko on hand for the precision I need (not), and thought I might as well start with Seamen!