closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Master
    Mine don't get a chance to be kept.

As an aside, I went to a mini whiskey tasting and had the chance to try a Macallan 14 YO which was silly expensive. The Lagavulin mentioned earlier was more to my liking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Mine don't get a chance to be kept.

As an aside, I went to a mini whiskey tasting and had the chance to try a Macallan 14 YO which was silly expensive. The Lagavulin mentioned earlier was more to my liking.
    Bonhams in Edinburgh are selling a 1957 Bowmore which is estimated at £150k. The Distillery is only able to get 12 bottles out of the cask, and it's supposedly the oldest Islay malt.

Might put in a bid for £70 to get things going.

Lawrence

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-ev...malt-1-2564629

Master
    I've had a few lesser Bowmore's in my time and they're usually tasty. Best of luck with the bid ;-)

Re: Whiskey

Been drinking Woodford Reserve this week. Tastes like petrol ffs.

Journeyman
    Picked up a bottle of Sainsburys islay single malt, as a cheap bottle to take away on a holiday. What can I say very impressed. I'm in islay man in the lagavulin, caol ila camp and its up there. Great pick up for an every day bottle.

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Surface View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Sainsburys islay single malt, as a cheap bottle to take away on a holiday. What can I say very impressed. I'm in islay man in the lagavulin, caol ila camp and its up there. Great pick up for an every day bottle.
    I've tried that myself - very acceptable

Cheers,
    Steve

Whiskey

I've tried that myself with favourable results

Cheers,
    Steve.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I'm not a Bourbon fan normally but this one's horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve264 View Post
    I've tried that myself - very acceptable

Cheers,
    Steve
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    glad it is not just me that thinks this, I like it but not as good as the hype.

Wish I had got a bottle of Black Bush or Bulliet.

Master

Re: Whiskey

I once had a fascinating conversation with a real whiskey expert whilst stuck on Stornoway working. It was "The Kirk". so we were stuck in the hotel unable to work or shop.

This chap worked for a distributer of wines and spirits and was on business there going round various small distilleries and he said, quite categorically, that many people in the know consider that whisky does not improve at all after 18 year's and that older whiskies were just a waste of money!

It was on this trip that i discovered the dubious delights of "Trawler Rum". :-)

I have recently been given some Bruichladdich cask strength (in a numbered bottle, matured 11 years and bottled in 1997!) - blooming lovely!

Cheers,

Master
    Bought myself a ticket to this event here in Calgary -

http://www.crowfootliquor.com/events/whiskey-fest

50 whiskies from around the world, I went to this event last year and was a fabulous evening. You have tasting notes from the staff, but of course after about 20 or so, you can't really write very clearly. And of course, they give you a 20% discount voucher at the end of the night

Highly recommended if you're in the area

If I remember correctly the larger supermrkets "own brands" are produced by people like springbank , laga etc here's a link http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5482

Grand Master
    last time i tried it, Tescoes islay was definitely a Caol Ila, and i'm fairly sure Sainsburys is a Bruichladdich.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    If I remember correctly the larger supermrkets "own brands" are produced by people like springbank , laga etc here's a link http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5482
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

You guys seem to love your whiskeys. Check this out at the Whiskey Shop in Nottingham.

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Dalmo...d-PID3383.aspx

harrr much?

Craftsman

Whiskey as well!!!!

Hmmm I am in trouble.I joined the watch forum with one working watch in July now I'm currently on 5 with one needing a service.

Whisky on the other hand I usually have 5 or 6 on the go at any one time. Tell me the same thing won't happen with Whisky. Please!

Craftsman
    Well after a few postings I've read tonight I had to drink something, so I've a wee glass of Springbank 10yo.

Sláinte

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    last time i tried it, Tescoes islay was definitely a Caol Ila, and i'm fairly sure Sainsburys is a Bruichladdich.
    Used to be vice versa, I'm sure spring bank produce a fair amount for both as well. Funny thing is when you work out the cost per 70cl (as they are sold in 50cl bottles I think) they are virtualy the same price as the 'name brand'.

I had some whisky loving friends round yesterday ..... on offer was:

Talisker
    Jura
    Glenfiddich
    Glenlivet 12
    Glenlivet 15
    Glenlivet 18
    Glenlivet Distillers Edition (think only available in airports)
    Glenmorangie 12
    Glenmorangie La Santa
    Dalmore 12
    Dalmore 15
    Old Pultney
    Glenrothes

My 3 favourites are (in no particular order as I cannot say which is better/preferred) the following:-

Glenlivet 18
    Dalmore 15
    Glenlivet Distillers Edition

Funnily enough its been hard to concentrate at work today !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    You guys seem to love your whiskeys. Check this out at the Whiskey Shop in Nottingham.

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Dalmo...d-PID3383.aspx

harrr much?
    How about 375 quid a pop (50 ml it is) of
    The Macallan Vintage 1959 45 Year Old Cask No. 360 Speyside, distillery bottling

Wood shavings and dried fruits on the nose. The taste is of dry wood atfirst, then citrus and dried fruits, leaving a finish of spices and tannicoak.
    in the Boisdale?
    Last edited by VDG; 10th October 2012 at 17:18.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    both are 70cl, and Sprink Bank cannot legally name any malt they produce Islay, as they are not based there - they are Campbelltown based. They may produce a supermarket malt, but it will be lablelled Campbelltown, Highland, or not specified.

most supermarket single malt Islays come from Caol Ila or Bruichladdich, with a rare Laphroaig creeping out. it's not that long ago that Caol Ila didn't have an official bottling at all, and Bruichladdich does many many small variations - i suspect the less successfull for these are often sold off. I was told by the distillery manager at Bowmore that they no longer sell malts outside their own branding, although this was a couple of years ago so whether that's still true i'm not sure.

the second pic i took inside Laphroaig during the peat burning to smoke the malt.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Used to be vice versa, I'm sure spring bank produce a fair amount for both as well. Funny thing is when you work out the cost per 70cl (as they are sold in 50cl bottles I think) they are virtualy the same price as the 'name brand'.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Agree with a lot of other posters here that Aberlour A'bunadh is a cracking whisky (and represents very good value for money).

Just noticed that Waitrose have it on offer at £27 a bottle. Hard to argue with at that price.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by diranija View Post
    Agree with a lot of other posters here that Aberlour A'bunadh is a cracking whisky (and represents very good value for money).

Just noticed that Waitrose have it on offer at £27 a bottle. Hard to argue with at that price.
    Picked one up today along with a litre of Tanquary Gin for £20!

Another great offer!

Lagavulin 16 year old for £28 at Asda.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/laga...8-asda-1339612

A shame that I am so bloody poor!

Journeyman
    I have never tried it, I cannot get past the smell as I put it my lips. I am the same with coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Another great offer!

None in Gravesend (just as well for my wallet), good luck to those searching.

Another great offer!

Christ! It was cheap at £35 the other week - the last bottle I got I paid £46

Master
    I got one at £35 which was a bargain. £28? Giving it away!

Craftsman

Monkey Shoulder

Just been given a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. it's a blend of 3 malts from Grants inc Glenfiddich which isn't one of my favourites. Any one tried it?

Thanks, Neil

Must get to Asda tho!!!

Grand Master
    Glenfiddich, Balvenie, and Kinvenie are the three malts the make up Monkey Shoulder, which is an all malt blend. Kinvenie isn't available as a single malt, it's used in this and in Grants blends exclusively. Monkey Shoulder is a rich, fruity cake of a speyside - well worth a try ihmo. Don't write off Glenfiddich - the standard 12 is a bit bland but the 15, 18 and especially the Caoran Reserve are all worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    Just been given a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. it's a blend of 3 malts from Grants inc Glenfiddich which isn't one of my favourites. Any one tried it?

Thanks, Neil

Must get to Asda tho!!!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Glenfiddich, Balvenie, and Kinvenie are the three malts the make up Monkey Shoulder, which is an all malt blend. Kinvenie isn't available as a single malt, it's used in this and in Grants blends exclusively. Monkey Shoulder is a rich, fruity cake of a speyside - well worth a try ihmo. Don't write off Glenfiddich - the standard 12 is a bit bland but the 15, 18 and especially the Caoran Reserve are all worth a try.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a go, the worst that can happen is it ends up a mixer Whisky :)

I'm still not sure I'll buy the Glenfiddich, I think I'd have to taste it as there still so many others to try and I tend to like them peaty.

Slainte, Neil

Grand Master
    Gledfiddich Caoran Reserve is matured in old Islay casks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a go, the worst that can happen is it ends up a mixer Whisky :)

I'm still not sure I'll buy the Glenfiddich, I think I'd have to taste it as there still so many others to try and I tend to like them peaty.

Slainte, Neil
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Gledfiddich Caoran Reserve is matured in old Islay casks
    Surely that's just wrong! On the other hand it does sound interesting

SWMBO is even more annoyed by Whisky bottles than watches!

Just bought a bottle of JD Tennessee Honey from Sainsbury's for £17.99

Very nice, I could have easily drunk the whole bottle last night!

My local Sainsburys also has Talisker at £23 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovial Joe View Post
    My local Sainsburys also has Talisker at £23 currently.
    That's very tempting I do like a bit of Talisker, the first proper whiskey that I ever bought.

Craftsman
    Reading this thread makes me realise I need to be a bit more adventurous with my choices. I normally just stock up on Highland Park whenever it is on offer.....

I can recommend Edradour as well, picked some up when I was in Inverness and really enjoyed it.

Just noticed this thread, wish I had seen it earlier as I bought some 16 year lagavulin the other week for £48!! Oh well will keep an eye out for any deals to add to my collection and post up if I see any. Tesco whiskey of the month deals seem quite good sometimes...

My local Sainsburys also has Jura for £22 and IMHO the very drinkable Black Grouse for £14.
    Best regards

Craftsman
    Just having a couple of drams of Johnnie Walker Red Label - delicious. I know its nothing special but I love it.

Blog Entries

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Just having a couple of drams of Johnnie Walker Red Label - delicious. I know its nothing special but I love it.
    I'll be dipping into the Double Black shortly. Lovely stuff & pretty good vfm.

z

Glenfiddich for me tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

Glenfiddich for me tonight!

Aldi have their Glen Marnoch 24yr old Speyside in @ £30.
    Last years' was indistiguishable from Glenmorangie Sonalta PX, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

I've a few bottles on the go and a few as yet to be opened.

Opened -

Glenlivet 12yr Speyside
    Old Pulteney 12yr Highland
    Macallan Masters' Edition Highland
    Glenmorangie 10yr Highland

Yet to try -

Glenmorangie Lasanta 12yr (Sherry casks), Quinta Ruban 12yr (Port casks) and Nectar D'Or 12yr (Sauternes casks), all miniatures as part of a Glenmorangie "Discovery Pack"
    Isle of Jura, Bruichladdich, Tamnavulin, Tullibardine, and The Invergordan Single Highland Grain, again all miniatures from a box set from the Invergordon Distillers Group.

Have also recently finished a bottle of Sloemotion sloe whisky, really rather tasty!

Need to get some contrast back in to the collection, a bottle of Laphroaig will do the trick. Will be back up to Scotland early next month and will be staying quite literally down the road from the Dalmore Distillery, would be rude to not pop in for a nosey...

Just bought some Karuizawa Spirit of Asama from TWE for Christmas. Looking forward to cracking that bottle open.

Grand Master
    Right Ive had a whiskey or two but I would never buy a bottle or order one in a pub but I want to like it as Im sure its a great hobby to have so what should I try?

My pallette likes Red Wine (Gallo Turning Leaf is a favourite) and Stella or Kronenburg plus a nice G&T or Vodka Redbull.

What I dont want to do is buy a bottle and be stuck with it so educate me whiskey ninjas
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Right Ive had a whiskey or two but I would never buy a bottle or order one in a pub but I want to like it as Im sure its a great hobby to have so what should I try?

My pallette likes Red Wine (Gallo Turning Leaf is a favourite) and Stella or Kronenburg plus a nice G&T or Vodka Redbull.

What I dont want to do is buy a bottle and be stuck with it so educate me whiskey ninjas
    Don't go in at the deep end - order a few miniatures first (most online stores offer them) & work out what you like.
    I found out I like most of 'em - I just like a different whiskey for a different occasion

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Its the ideal time of year for you to buy one (or two ?) of the premium Whisky miniatures gift packs that all the supermarkets are now selling as xmas presents.

£20 will usually get you a set with 4 different single malt sampler bottles. You can then get an idea of what sort of flavour of whisky you like and dont like.

Master
    That's very tempting I do like a bit of Talisker, the first proper whiskey that I ever bought.
    Me too - had an assignment for Scottish Co-Op many years ago which involved travelling round obscure stores and prepping them for 21 century technology.

A bunch of us ended up on Stornaway and were confined to the Hotel for the duration of the Kirk so ended up sampling Malts for the first time ( and Trawler Rum, but thats another story ) and i just completely fell in love with the unque taste of Talisker and its still my favourite 20-odd years later.