closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exmouth. Any tips or must dos ?

Exmouth. Any tips or must dos ?

Hi all. Just booked a 2 day break to exmouth. Going next week.
    Never been to this part of the country or the Jurassic coast
    Anyone give me some ideas of good things to see and do ? Eat and drink ?
    Our hotel is right near the exmouth beach.
    Cheers
    Last edited by lenlec; 17th July 2021 at 16:20.

First thing I do is go to Tripadvisor and look at the top 10 voted things to do. Usually gives you a good idea of which are the beast beaches and walks in the area.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...n_England.html

Exmouth beach is very long and gets busy. It is quieter at the furthest point from the town (Orcombe Point). The closer you are to the town, the more commercial it is.

When I was a boy we used to go around Orcombe Point several times a week during the school holidays, either over the cliffs at high tide or around the beach at low) to the small beach there and play in the rock pools.

Recently when I’ve visited I’ve parked in the car park by the lifeboat station and stayed in that area. There’s a cafe to get ice creams plus public toilets as well as the lifeboat to see.

Thanks gents

Master
    Eating wise Michael Caines' new mainstream eatery Mickey's has recently opened and is situated on the newly developed seafront and has great views. Went there the other week and planning on going back when we're down in August. If you're staying at the Premier Inn on the seafront it's a short walk.

https://www.mickeysbeach.co.uk

Otherwise my personal favourite restaurant is in town and is called Saveur but it's small and bookings will no doubt be difficult (just like everywhere else so book now if you can).

https://saveursrestaurant.com

Hope you enjoy your stay and the weather's kind to you. Although if it is it will be packed!
    Last edited by mactrack; 18th July 2021 at 14:27.

Master
    Forgot to mention my other joint favourite restaurant, The River Exe Cafe, as I've not been for awhile and this one's even harder to book as you have to take to water taxi (from near the marina) to the restaurant as it's on a permanently moored barge in the middle of the River Exe. I tried weeks ago to book and there wasn't a single table available but you can call on the day for cancelations which is what I'm going to do but I don't think that I will be that lucky but you might.

https://www.riverexecafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Exmouth beach is very long and gets busy. It is quieter at the furthest point from the town (Orcombe Point). The closer you are to the town, the more commercial it is.

When I was a boy we used to go around Orcombe Point several times a week during the school holidays, either over the cliffs at high tide or around the beach at low) to the small beach there and play in the rock pools.

Recently when I’ve visited I’ve parked in the car park by the lifeboat station and stayed in that area. There’s a cafe to get ice creams plus public toilets as well as the lifeboat to see.
    Yeah I would like to have a few miles walking up around there one day. About 4 or 5 miles would be good

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    Eating wise Michael Caines' new mainstream eatery Mickey's has recently opened and is situated on the newly developed seafront and has great views. Went there the other week and planning on going back when we're down in August. If you're staying at the Premier Inn on the seafront it's a short walk.

https://www.mickeysbeach.co.uk

Otherwise my personal favourite restaurant is in town and is called Saveur but it's small and bookings will no doubt be difficult (just like everywhere else so book now if you can).

https://saveursrestaurant.com

Hope you enjoy your stay and the weather's kind to you. Although if it is it will be packed!
    Cheers. Just tried to book mickeys beach. It’s full Thursday Friday and Saturday lunch and dinner

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Cheers. Just tried to book mickeys beach. It’s full Thursday Friday and Saturday lunch and dinner
    Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me as we had to take a Monday evening table to get in during the whole week we were there and that was the end of June when it was raining and the schools hadn't broken up. I've booked for August already but in some ways I'm sort of not looking forward to it as much as it's going to be rammed down there. Good luck with the drive too, assuming you're driving, as all roads to the SW this summer will be chocker.

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me as we had to take a Monday evening table to get in during the whole week we were there and that was the end of June when it was raining and the schools hadn't broken up. I've booked for August already but in some ways I'm sort of not looking forward to it as much as it's going to be rammed down there. Good luck with the drive too, assuming you're driving, as all roads to the SW this summer will be chocker.
    It seem really popular. Yea we are driving down from Coventry way. Straight down the m5 I suppose. May leave about 5am Thursday morning to try and avoid it

Have a look at Rockfish, we’ve always had a good meal there.

Topsham is 15 mins away in the car and nice for a stroll. There’s a big antiques / bric a brac place next to the car park and there’s loads of good places to eat around - I’ve had great meals at The Lighter Inn and The Passage House Inn.

Master
    I have family near there and a few things which we have done and were nice.

Full bore Michael Caines-Lympstone Manor which was excellent though appears to be booked up for dinner until October...!

Walk along the canal on the opposite side of the estuary to the Turf Hotel for lunch

Dart's Farm up the road in Topsham is interesting for people watching and if you are self catering and fancy some nice food!

Not been to Rockfish in Exmouth but had a very nice meal at the Plymouth one last year

Further afield, I am quite a fan of Lyme Regis which isn't too far away.

Burton Bradstock has a nice beach and the Mark His beach cafe which I haven't been to but is supposed to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Have a look at Rockfish, we’ve always had a good meal there.

Topsham is 15 mins away in the car and nice for a stroll. There’s a big antiques / bric a brac place next to the car park and there’s loads of good places to eat around - I’ve had great meals at The Lighter Inn and The Passage House Inn.
    Another vote for Topsham. We were there last month to pick up our son from Exeter uni and stayed in the Globe. Quaint village on the River Exe with some nice pubs, restaurants and tea rooms. Dart Farm worth a visit too.
    Dawlish also worth a visit. The beach there is lovely

The drive down was horrendous though. Took us 7 hours from SE London!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Walk along the canal on the opposite side of the estuary to the Turf Hotel for lunch
    Had many good visits to the Turf Hotel, but I'd advise the OP to book ahead if he's thinking of eating as they're only just returning to food serving. There's no parking at the pub but a nice way to get to it is to leave the car in Topsham and take the ferry from Trout's Boatyard.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post

Not been to Rockfish in Exmouth but had a very nice meal at the Plymouth one last year
    Rockfish I find to be very variable. I've eaten in the original one in Dartmouth, the one in Brixham and my local one in Torquay. I suspect turnover of staff in the kitchens is quite high, (based on conversations with one of my nephews who worked there) and so sometimes it's good, sometimes it's average and sometimes it's poor. All that said, we keep going back!

Master
    Don’t know Exmouth particularly well but Topsham is lovely for a walk about as mentioned and Darts Farm has great food if you’re self catering. Amazing chicken and ham pie by the slice if I recall correctly.

Plus there’s loads of places to explore on that coast.