closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2020

Journeyman
    Apparently, we had been practicing penalties every day in training!
    Imagine how bad they might have been if we hadn't practiced ......

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post

So does that mean they were the three best penalty takers.

Lots of negativity today, I see...

Great performance overall to get to the final and hold Italy all the way to the end of extra time.

Roll on the World Cup!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post

You can practise anything as much as you want but when the enormity of the occasion takes over, pressure of the nation and adrenaline kicks it everything goes out the window. I’d say most people with a modicum of intelligence know that.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Presumably you also won't be supporting France because of widespread Le Pen support and Spain because of much higher levels of racist views? Honestly you are a disgrace, deliberately antagonising England fans on here when the majority would never support booing anthems or of taking the knee.

F**k off to somewhere else and antagonise them from your high horse
    Why do you think there are much higher levels of racist views in Spain? Just curious.

About the game, I don't even consider myself a football fan, but It doesn't take one to think that putting that much pressure on two young lads who didn't play the rest of the match wasn't a good idea.

Congrats to Italy and, if I were english, I would be proud of the team and what they achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Great performance overall to get to the final and hold Italy all the way to the end of extra time.

Roll on the World Cup!

M

The stars aligned here, good draw, bit of luck etc. Won't hold out any hopes for the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Roll on the World Cup!

M

Well said that man. No idea of the average age of the squad, but I cannot imagine it can be that old, so why not give them a break.

But if it’s any consolation, yes England lost a semi and a final on penalties, but don’t forget that some countries have never made a final or that the Netherlands for example have reached 3 World Cup Finals and lost everyone one of them.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I don’t understand the negativity in this thread at all. I didn’t think we would make the final so to get there was brilliant. The team are pretty young and the squad is very talented. Couple this with the dominant forces in Europe having to rebuild we have a great chance to win a major tournament with this team. I enjoyed the tournament. The future looks bright for this squad.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 12th July 2021 at 08:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I don’t understand the negativity in this thread at all. I didn’t think we would make the final so to get there was brilliant. The team are pretty young and the squad is very talented. Couple this with the dominant forces in Europe having to rebuild we have a great chance to win a majority tournament with this team. I enjoyed the tournament. The future looks bright for this squad.
    Well said. Amazing tournament and a final appearance…. Hopefully England can go one better at the World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yes, I should have known better. I’ll block you so it won’t happen again.
    Wow, I think that's the fastest I've ever seen someone move from zero to full-on snowflake. Well played!

Not a big football fan but it was a great moment for the Country as a whole…

Getting to a final a solid achievement…lots of focus on where we seemingly underperformed or got things wrong, whilst I cannot as a non footballist make a critical analysis i could observe Italy appeared to try harder in the second half whilst we lacked a bit of errr attacking effort (apologies if wrong phraseology)….

Penalties urrghh ….never a nice way to win or lose but spare a thought for those who didn’t score cannot be easy under such intense scrutiny and far harder than when on a training ground…..(ever tried public speaking I was great in my lounge but when infront of 200+ quite different)…

Sad really but in some way Southgate had passed the baton he has carried for 25 years to Rashford….hopefully the World Cup will give England another chance to shine…

Now then London spend v rest of country …. As someone once said “if your complaining about paying too much tax ..your a lucky man”….

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-november-2020
    Last edited by TKH; 12th July 2021 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    But are those all of 'pure' race? He has 8 great grandparents, where does it stop?
    There are several answers there

The first one is factual: Not so long ago most people hardly left their village; so if you go back 6 to 10 generations most of us should be fine.
    The second is more philosophical. Not so long ago one of those DNA test kit companies made a series of advert interviewing different people, including a few with strong views regarding their bloodline. The DNA told them that they all had much more varied origins. Putting aside that they purported that they could draw those conclusions when the reality is much more complex, it was a nice lesson against the very concept of races and nationalism among humans.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post

Whilst England look pretty solid defensively, I'm not confident they won't concede and just can't see a win on penalties. So may well have to score twice to get the job done and that feels like relying on set pieces, Kane and Sterling are often found playing a long way apart and like others have said I want Kane to be the one in the box looking to use a bit of height and muscle to get to crosses, too often there were no options in the box and he was the crosser. More promise from Saka and harsh on Sancho - it's tricky to pass your way through a full press and Denmark showed how to close the defence / keeper down effectively and spook Pickford. Having players that can take on the opposition too opens up options, I'd give Grealish a start and try to get a few Italians on a yellow card early rather than use him as super-sub. Not going to be easy to break the Italians down and didn't see enough last night to be more confident of doing so, after the good win over Germany.
    Well a gallant attempt but the Italians were the better side and deserved the win on the balance of play. After a very promising 30 mins, the game settled down into that very familiar pattern of being too deep, giving few options for an out ball from the back and precisely as I feared above after previous matches. As Shearer highlighted, Kanes work was all well outside the box and once again detached from Sterling who had one of his more ineffectual games. So a great tournament for England overall and something to build on, but more focus required on the forward line, where Sterling feeding Kane for a toe-poke against Ukraine was a very rare glimpse of what is needed more to win at the very top table, wish we had a modern day Shearer or Lineker.

Master
    There's got to be a better way than a penalty competition to decide a football match. Count up the yellow & red cards, or something. In the event of a tie the first card loses.

They are of course a fantastic spectacle but honestly, even if we'd won the penalties I wouldn't have felt as if we'd won the final.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I don’t understand the negativity in this thread at all. I didn’t think we would make the final so to get there was brilliant. The team are pretty young and the squad is very talented. Couple this with the dominant forces in Europe having to rebuild we have a great chance to win a major tournament with this team. I enjoyed the tournament. The future looks bright for this squad.
    Probably due to the disappointment that comes with recognising this was our best chance for a very long time. Pretty much a home tournament. Weaker side of the draw. Covid making it even more partisan crowds. You can equally say that Italy rebuilt after not even qualifying for the last WC. One that we got to the semis in and yet Italy looked a better team all tournament. At some point you have to actually win something not just have promise.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    There's got to be a better way than a penalty competition to decide a football match. Count up the yellow & red cards, or something. In the event of a tie the first card loses.

They are of course a fantastic spectacle but honestly, even if we'd won the penalties I wouldn't have felt as if we'd won the final.
    Not sure if serious? Would you really have felt as if wed won if it was decided on number of cards?

Penalties are a poor way to decide a game but they are the ultimate test of nerve - altho it’s awful when someone misses one, especially a young kid like Saka.

Maybe they should just keep playing till someone scores

I think penalties are a brilliant way to end a match. So exciting to watch and a true test of skill.

I'd happily sit and watch them all day, far more interesting than the last ten minutes of extra time where the teams are crippled by the fear of a single mistake losing everything.

Thoughts go out to the England players, the seem a likeable bunch and joined up like no other England team I've seen. Until Sterling's dive it was hard to dislike any of them. Ultimately though, as a Scot, I'm relived Italy won.

Afraid I don't buy all this "young squad - potential for the future" guff. I've heard it all before. The fact is this was our big chance....decent squad, home advantage, soft half of the draw and top teams already despatched.

We performed better than expectations, but I don't think it's an indication that we'll do well in the next World Cup.

You have to applaud anyone with the guts to take a penalty in those circumstances but I do think Rashford made a very poor decision. It's one thing practicing penalties on a field in Burton On Trent in front of your mates and another having one chance on the biggest stage. The strongest mentally is going to be nervous. Motor skills are bound to be affected. You need to keep it as simple as possible - like Maguire. Rashford didn't and paid the price.

They did well to reach the final - albeit it with a very easy run in. The tactics were all wrong, far to defensive and bottled it, sent the wrong message to the players, needed to keep momentum from the previous matches and attack. Why sit and try hold against Italy, needed another midfielder not 3 CB's. 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders is the wrong message. Kane did well but had no help. The England squad has such strength in attacking midfielders and creative players, play to their strengths.

Could not have hoped for a better start but they got overrun in midfield and Italy dominated the entire match, even at half time Italy had 6 shots to England's 1.

The better team won, unfortunately.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is a lot of potential in the squad and a lot of young raw talent. You don’t only get one chance to win a tournament and I hope that this team will have other opportunities to win. If you look back at the previous competitions this squad has still got further than any previous England team for a very long time.
    In the first half England were the better team but over the whole game the Italians were better and deserved the win.
    I’m proud of what the team achieved but sickened by the morons in our society who think it’s acceptable to racially abuse a black player for missing a penalty.

Football is just a game and it’s full of highs and lows. Sometimes you win sometimes you don’t, but racism leaves a stain on the country that takes a long time to clean.

Master
    The only time we looked the better side was when it was raining! We should be happy that we had a tournament at all. It's just a game and there will always be another. Well done both teams.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post

Maybe they should just keep playing till someone scores
    I’ve been playing football since I became upright. It was always “next goal wins” though we didn’t have TV schedules to worry about

Ref the racism, the UK has benefitted from immigration for a couple of thousand years. Nowadays the pureblood Anglo Saxon is a rare thing, if any exist at all. If some of the racists took DNA tests I'd love to see the horrified look on their faces when results came back!

Ref the foul on Saka - that was horrific. A case for Serious Foul Play, as Saka was pulled backwards with the force applied to his neck, and he was pulled off his feet and backwards. It could have produced a serious injury, and so probably should have been a Red: "A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Shame about the penalties. Was it wise to ask the youngest players were asked to take them? The pressure must have been immense, and could they really be expected to deal with that pressure and the nerves? Hopefully it hasn't produced any long-lasting self-doubt.

Iron out all the mistakes at the Euros in time for the World Cup. Onwards and upwards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Now maybe I’m wrong (as I don’t watch the game) but I thought the idea of penalties was to smash it into the back of the net as hard as you can
    Into the net: yes
    Hard: not relevant, no extra points for velocity

What is this ‘potential’ that is being bandied around ?
    Every squad member plays at the highest level of football. There’s no green kids out there who might hope to learn from senior pros.
    Plus, let’s not dress this up. Saka opted to take the fifth penalty in the hope that his would be the decisive one . Well it turned out it was, just not the way he’d hoped. No blame attached for his miss btw.
    All this still rests on Southgates poor selection, awful substitutions and woeful tactics. A back seven simply invites Italy to push much further forward and dominate possession, and so it proved. There was no commanding performance in any game except versus a very poor Ukraine. Drawing against the second worst team in the competition should’ve been a major warning .

The tackle on Grealish should also have been a red card but wasn’t.

Ultimately though, the better team on the night won without doubt. It does leave me confident of England’s chances of winning something over the next ten years. In the last two competitions, England have been semi finalists and finalists; that’s no mean achievement. It’s ok saying that they’ve had the easier route to the finals but there are no bad teams and you can only beat the team in front of you!

Maybe the players ran out of confidence/belief, maybe Southgate made a couple of poor decisions; what is certain is that they’ll learn from this and come back even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s ok saying that they’ve had the easier route to the finals but there are no bad teams and you can only beat the team in front of you!
    This is true. Although it is unlikely that the next tournament will be played almost exclusively at home, in front of no one but UK residents

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    what is certain is that they’ll learn from this and come back even stronger.
    This is a very English thing to say, "learning from our mistakes", like when hospitals apologise for embarrassing deaths or for the way the police behaved, or whatever. There is very strong evidence that this very rarely happens.

What will happen is those players will carry a target on their back (one might argue they already did) from a certain part of the public, and that it will haunt them a long time. Some may choose to try to exorcise it, others may just decide to never take a penalty again, because they and their families do not need the aggravation. It is a sad state of affair. And do not think I am singling out England here, despite his cult status Mbappe suffered abuse as well when he missed the last penalty against Switzerland.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Afraid I don't buy all this "young squad - potential for the future" guff. I've heard it all before. The fact is this was our big chance....decent squad, home advantage, soft half of the draw and top teams already despatched.

We performed better than expectations, but I don't think it's an indication that we'll do well in the next World Cup.

You have to applaud anyone with the guts to take a penalty in those circumstances but I do think Rashford made a very poor decision. It's one thing practicing penalties on a field in Burton On Trent in front of your mates and another having one chance on the biggest stage. The strongest mentally is going to be nervous. Motor skills are bound to be affected. You need to keep it as simple as possible - like Maguire. Rashford didn't and paid the price.
    I think you're right about it being our big chance. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be that spark that good teams need to become brilliant teams. I've seen it in the rugby when England have had teams with that spark, you just know they will produce some magic on the pitch. We saw it in the '70s with the Welsh rugby team. Whichever team you supported you couldn't help but cheer them on, the play was so magical to watch. Then the team changes and the magic disappears to be replaced by a 'competent' team.

As for the penalties I think Southgate made poor choices in those taking them and the order they went in. Rashford's silly Max Wall impersonation started the fall, but having Saka last when it was possible all the pressure would fall on his young shoulders was just terrible, and you have to feel sorry for him. An older more experienced player might have handled the pressure better, and would have been better able to cope perhaps if he missed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It's not about scapegoating. Rashford's penalty was cocky and awful, he missed and that put Saka under unreal pressure. They're just facts. Rashford had just watched Kane and Maguire smash two in, high and hard, the way a pen should be taken. Just put your foot through it FFS. I hate those showboat pens.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    And the Italians who missed? Were they tippy tappy too? A miss is a miss. You're looking to scapegoat Rashford. That match was not lost on a single kick, and it's pretty sad to try to pin it on Rashford.

Master
    Generally a fan of Southgate and his measured sensible approach. But it failed him at a crucial moment in deciding penalty takers last night. Italy were better in the match overall. But England had a 50% chance in that shootout and Southgate skewed the odds against them.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m not sure why it bothers me as I’m not a big follower of football, Rugby is my sport (and Welsh rugby at that, don’t judge me!), but I think there’s a lot of armchair forensics going on here.

England had a chance to win it before the relative lottery of penalties, they got to a final and they couldn’t find a way to win. That doesn’t make them bad people, and whilst I agree there isn’t much they can learn about football from the game, a few of them will I hope have learnt something about themselves that might make the outcome different should they be in that position again.

Just as the team would have won had they succeeded last night, then it’s only fair to say that the team lost as well. It’s not on one individual.

Maybe the disappointment is coming out as negativity, I get that, but you genuinely can’t win them all.

I have been to the Olympics and other top level sporting events where competitors have represented their country and lost/not medalled, never seen them abused and I haven’t been attacked outside the stadium for being a supporter of the winner.
    Think it’s about time England got banned from competition for at least a decade, feel sorry for the players but can’t see why everyone has to put up with this moronic behaviour that hangs around football like a bad smell.
    At least I got off to sleep early last night as there wasn’t the usual selfish nighttime celebrations from fans.

Football is a great game but it’s a huge magnet for the hard of thinking and their nationalism/racism/tribalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

This is a very English thing to say, "learning from our mistakes", like when hospitals apologise for embarrassing deaths or for the way the police behaved, or whatever. There is very strong evidence that this very rarely happens.
    I think you misunderstood me Marc, or I wasn’t clear in my posting; what I meant was that both the manager and the players will gain experience from thus and be better going forward.

They are after all, both a young squad and a young manager; imagine how good they could be in the near future.

Master
    Some of the comments is like listening to my wife trying to talk about football.
    Her comment at the penalties last night was “I hope Rashford doesn’t miss as he’s a nice boy that sorted the school dinners”

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry Ryan but it simply isn't. It's a violent, dangerous and racist city. Watch any of the videos from yesterday going around Twitter and the only voices you ever hear are Londoners. The racists and violent thugs are all white Londoners, cockney accents. If the final had been in any other English city I'd bet it would have been a celebration of football and an appreciation of what a privilege it is to host a final. We shouldn't be allowed to host such tournaments again and it's because of the actions of mostly Londoners. Sorry to be the bearer of that news but London's only a great city for those who can afford to operate above street level, thus avoiding the real London.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

London is the greatest city on earth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It's not about scapegoating. Rashford's penalty was cocky and awful, he missed and that put Saka under unreal pressure. They're just facts. Rashford had just watched Kane and Maguire smash two in, high and hard, the way a pen should be taken. Just put your foot through it FFS. I hate those showboat pens.
    My point entirely.

And as far as.... "And the Italians who missed? Were they tippy tappy too? A miss is a miss. You're looking to scapegoat Rashford.".... the Italians weren't playing for England, and criticising players actions is hardly "looking to scapegoat'' them. If it had been Kane I would have said the same, and I doubt Barleymumble would have been so keen to leap to his defence.

Master
    I don't think it was cocky. I really doubt he was feeling cocky. I think he was nervous and he tried the strategy he thought gave him the best chance of beating the keeper. It was the worst penalty on the night, but he did his best.

Master
    Sorry Ryan but it simply isn't. It's a violent, dangerous and racist city. Watch any of the videos from yesterday going around Twitter and the only voices you ever hear are Londoners. The racists and violent thugs are all white Londoners, cockney accents. If the final had been in any other English city I'd bet it would have been a celebration of football and an appreciation of what a privilege it is to host a final. We shouldn't be allowed to host such tournaments again and it's because of the actions of mostly Londoners. Sorry to be the bearer of that news but London's only a great city for those who can afford to operate above street level, thus avoiding the real London.
    As a Londoner I think that is twaddle of the highest order.
    Unfortunately racism abounds throughout the U.K.

Have to disagree with you on that.

A lot of the accents you heard were probably Kent or Essex and you just assumed London.

Also the videos you saw were no doubt a drop in the ocean.

I didn't hear a single Birmingham, North East or North West accent, only London and South East.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Have to disagree with you on that.

A lot of the accents you heard were probably Kent or Essex and you just assumed London.

Also the videos you saw were no doubt a drop in the ocean.

I didn't hear a single Birmingham, North East or North West accent, only London and South East.
    First it was "Londoners" and "cockney" now it's "London and South East".

Next it'll be anyone south of Birmingham.

Master
    So is your assertion that racism does not exist in Birmingham, North East or North West and in fact it’s only an issue below the Watford Gap…

Absolutely not. My original and subsequent comments reflected what I've seen. Just facts, not opinion. I heard members of the public on radio calls today saying they were in London yesterday and it was carnage; fighting, destruction and rampage. Not my words, theirs. I'm saying that I don't believe that would have happened in another city other than London.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    So is your assertion that racism does not exist in Birmingham, North East or North West and in fact it’s only an issue below the Watford Gap…

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

London is the greatest city on earth.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    No, that is Leeds.

On another note though, the pens weren't the greatest, but the danger of 'putting your laces through it' is that it ends up in Row Z. Players have got a little bit too clever of late with too many shimmying up to the spot, then realising there is now no power in the shot. Or accuracy in Rashford's case, as his eyes weren't on the ball.

Southgate has generally made either the right choice or has been lucky so far, and in bringing on Sancho and Rashford specifically for the shoot-out he gambled and it backfired. I'd rather have had the first five takers as players who had been on the pitch for a while and had a touch of the ball, but I didn't take England to the final and Southgate did, so he gets to make the calls and now also to have to justify them.

After the Scotland game I'd have taken losing the final on penalties to the best team in the competition. Surely most others would too?

Blog Entries
    Absolutely not. My original and subsequent comments reflected what I've seen. Just facts, not opinion. I heard members of the public on radio calls today saying they were in London yesterday and it was carnage; fighting, destruction and rampage. Not my words, theirs. I'm saying that I don't believe that would have happened in another city other than London.
    I'm not a fan of London generally, but surely a large percentage of the fans travelled from other areas of the UK? So London was just the 'venue' and might to have supplied all the customers. I wasn't there but just wondering if that was the case?

Master
    Then I’d suggest that should the game have been played in Liverpool or Manchester for example you would have had a greater volume of ‘local’ thugs, the racist idiots are everywhere and when they can’t get a ticket they congregate where they can to spill their bile.

Trying to suggest that London, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Herefordshire are hotbeds of racism and that they were the source of the racism at the game does you a disservice.

Where some of them racist, I’d say undoubtedly, were they the majority, possibly but because they are inherently more racist or because they were ‘locals’ and therefore more numerous inside the ground and general area is the question.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 12th July 2021 at 13:34. Reason: There, their, they’re

I think England did really well getting to the final and they look a far better team than we've seen in many years. They're young, keen and with Southgate at the helm I think they'll go on from strength to strength.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

SydR
    If you look at the history of England - Scotland matches, the oldest rivalry of them all, they have played 115 matches; England have won 48, Scotland 41, and there have been 26 draws (only one of which was 0-0)

This belies the difference between the two team in terms of ranking and shows how Scotland step up to the mark against the auld enemy.

Lots of trouble at kings cross and Euston, trafalgar and Leicester Square, Londoners you say?...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I watched the final. I know nothing about football but did find myself yelling GO FORWARD during the second half which was largely spent with Italy down our goal end.
    I thought attacking more rather than defending might have pushed Italy back.
    That said, Italy had the ball most of the time and appeared to an amateur to be the better players.

Penalties, my god I don't envy anyone in that position. Shame that we lost but on the plus side there will be plenty to autopsy from that game and hopefully plug some of the gaps for the world cup.