closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Sinn watch returned from a service.....

Craftsman

Wrong Sinn watch returned from a service.....

I sent my Sinn 956 Klassik on black leather for a service and repair (new crystal).

I had heard that Sinn can be a little flakey on communication, so I found an authorised dealer to send through to Sinn so I had someone to call! I’m not going to name them as they have been okay so far on this.

The watch came back this week, but in the box, much to my surprise, was a steel 556!

Does anyone know what position I am in here, the exact details of the watch model are not on the paperwork I have from the dealer, only the damage.

I have now given the dealer a picture of my 956 with the exact damage that was detailed on the ticket, and a picture of my original paperwork guarantee card, and serial number.

My concern is that Sinn have sent MY watch to someone else, and as it’s worth 3x as much as the one I was returned, that my watch will be lost in the ether and not returned to me!

Any views on where I stand here would be really appreciated.

Was the S/N and model recorded on the recipte the dealer should have given you, not quite clear in you statement. If so then the dealer will need to take it up with Sinn as they acted as the agent IMHO and hopefully if Sinn were informed quickly enough will be able to undo this mess.

I am not familiar with Sinn, is the model you shipped still available new?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You haven’t got your watch back so have every right to take it further. Mistakes happen so your first port of call is the dealer/Sinn.

If you get no joy then you’ve a pretty cast iron case in a small claims court.

Craftsman

The serial and model weren’t recorded on the receipt from the dealer.... I did think afterwards I should’ve specified that.... only the damage is recorded.

My model is not available to buy anymore.

This is mine, showing the pusher and crystal damage that is listed on the receipt.

And this is what was returned!

Any correspondence from Sinn to the dealer acknowledging arrival of your watch that may have the details listed against it as there would be a work order involved.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Okay, that makes sense and should be my next ask from the dealer.

My thoughts are that I was okay with long time scales when it was out for the repair, but I want very quick answers returned now before MY watch becomes lost....

Blog Entries
    When you sent a watch to Sinn, you can download a paper (PDF) from their website. On the paper you need to fill in your address etc and also the type of watch + the serial number of the watch. I've sent them a watch for maintenance two weeks ago, together with the paper, so I know exactly how the process goes.

I guess that your dealer has to come up with in the same sort of paperwork. I would be surprised when he hasn't! It's fair to assume that the type and number has been written down somewhere. The paper he had to send with the watch is not the receipt that the dealer handed to you.

One thing though: older Sinns don't have a serial number. But I suppose that yours isn't that old and that it has a serial number.

Menno

Craftsman
    Mine did have a serial which is recorded on my own paperwork that came with the watch, so I would hope it was part of a recorded work order!

One is a chronograph and the other obviously isn’t. Does it mention a chronograph service on your repair invoice?

Craftsman
    No it doesn’t have any description, apart from ‘Sinn Watch Repair’ on my receipt.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I would hope the dealer has the specifics noted down somewhere otherwise you effectively have a piece of paper that is worthless as it just says ‘Sinn watch repair’. Or,perhaps,the appropriate serial number has been recorded against your name at Sinn when they received it.
    Without any of this,if it came down to it ,I’m not sure there is any way of proving anything none way or the other.

Have you tried calling Sinn themselves?

Whatever happens I hope you can sort it out and retrieve what is yours. Good luck!

I hope you get it all sorted, I am sure you will.
    With pusher damage described, and the returned watch has no pushers, it is clear there has been a mistake.

To be honest, I have only ever found Sinn (Frankfurt) professional to deal with.
    Next time I would go direct, there is no advantage (to my eyes) of a middle man in this scenario.
    They asked lots of info up front and generated shipping paperwork for me to print and fix to the box before dropping off at the courier.
    I was informed of receipt, including serial, confirmation of condition and so forth.
    I got a confirmation of estimate, then notification when it was complete.
    And to top it all, they were slightly quicke than I was expecting.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I would hope the dealer has the specifics noted down somewhere otherwise you effectively have a piece of paper that is worthless as it just says ‘Sinn watch repair’. Or,perhaps,the appropriate serial number has been recorded against your name at Sinn when they received it.
    Without any of this,if it came down to it ,I’m not sure there is any way of proving anything none way or the other.

Have you tried calling Sinn themselves?

Whatever happens I hope you can sort it out and retrieve what is yours. Good luck!
    I had email contact with them before I sent them my watch (that's how I found out about the document on their website). Their English is excellent and they replied to my email within two days.

Try it.

Craftsman
    Totally off topic but it reminded me of my stag night many years ago in the time of 35mm film. It was held in my mates pub in Stepney and my mates arranged for a stripper called 'Tiny Tubby Tina' to turn up, stark naked and basically pin me down on the floor and beat my face up with her 50” HH breasts. A great laugh and we couldn’t wait to get the photos back from pronto print or wherever you sent them off to in those days. They duly arrived and when I opened the packet it was photos of someone having glider lessons! I often wondered if they got mine.

Craftsman

Thanks Motman, Suddenly I’m really pleased that I didn’t take the plastic off the watch!!

It could be that Sinn sent the dealer the correct watch and the dealer made the mistake this end.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    And at the dealers collecting said watch,you said....

Hmm thats not my watch!...

They said and did......What?...

You took NOT your watch home.......I wouldnt have accepted it as it isnt yours,so not sure what doing that achieves,only that you do at least have a watch.

And the dealer is now doing......What?.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

You took NOT your watch home.......I wouldnt have accepted it as it isnt yours,so not sure what doing that achieves,only that you do at least have a watch.

Did he collect it or was it returned via post / courier?

No matter what else devolves, the damage specified is to a chronograph pusher, and the 556 self-evidently has none, so establishing that a mistake has been made should be straightforward.

With my recent experience with Damasko requiring 3 tries to follow simple (German!) instructions / copy a picture, I'm wondering how that stereotypical "Germanic efficiency" has managed to elude their watch industry.

I’d get a lawyer involved if the dealer isn’t bending over backwards for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

It was returned to me by post. The dealer was immediately apologetic, and on the case with Sinn, and transferred me the money to SD the watch back to him.

I should be hearing from him tomorrow, and I guess that’s when we get to gauge the situation a bit better.....
    Last edited by tobetobes; 21st June 2020 at 20:01.

Craftsman
    There are always lessons to learn. What this has taught me, is to not fall over whilst wearing a nice watch.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    It was returned to me by post. The dealer was immediately apologetic, and on the case with Sinn, and transferred me the money to SD the watch back to him.

I should be hearing from him tomorrow, and I guess that’s when we get to gauge the situation a bit better.....
    I hope this gets sorted. It is the sort on nightmare scenario you hope never happens. Let us know how it all pans out and good luck.

The funny thing is the other person, should the watches have been sent to the wrong addresses... might be sitting down thinking how upset he or she is because they got sent this old scruffy looking watch with the silly extra buttons on it! Could very well then be just as eager to get their own watch back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    because they got sent this old scruffy looking watch
    Why how very dare you!!

Errr.... well.... yes.... a polish might be on the cards if I manage to get it back!

Lol. It’s all perspective! Personally I’d prefer yours but someone else maybe not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Totally off topic but it reminded me of my stag night many years ago in the time of 35mm film.
    "And now Ladies and Gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to welcome on stage the latest member of our gliding club - John! Here he is. His wife asked me earlier if he really needed to spend quite so much time at the club, and I reassured her it was normal. Welcome John."

"Thanks. So pleased to be here. I've brought some photos along this evening. Forgive me, I haven't looked at them yet but I'm sure they quite clearly highlight what fantastic work we're are doing at the club. Here's the first slide."

*Large blurry picture.*

"Right, bear with me. I think we're in the mountains here. Certainly can see two of them. I'll just adjust the focus. Here we are... yes, those are... those are... er..."

Master
    ^^^^ haha.
    As for the OP I suspect all will be sorted out so fingers crossed.

Craftsman
    Hope you get it sorted OP, I'm sure the dealer will help you to get your watch back shortly.

Was there any update on this?

Blog Entries
    I sent my EZM2 Hydro to Sinn for a new battery etc.

They sent me an email with the lead time for repair (warranty: 4 weeks, all others 6-8 weeks). In the email also the relevant information: The transaction #, the date they've received my watch and... the 'consignment': EZM2.

So there must be an email somewhere where Sinn clearly tells you or your dealer what they've received. If you don't have it, surely your dealer must have received something similar. That way you can trace back what they've received. In so many words: did the AD mix things up, by sending the wrong watch under your name to the company or did Sinn in Germany mix things up by sending back the wrong watch.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    did the AD mix things up, by sending the wrong watch under your name to the company or did Sinn in Germany mix things up by sending back the wrong watch?
    My money is on AD error ...

I got the impression that it may have been sent direct from Sinn to his home address?

Blog Entries
    Did you receive this called General Terms and Conditions? Or was it sent to the AD? In this document, one article is interesting:

2.3 If you wish to place an order with us for inspection, repair, retrofitting or reconditioning of your Sinn watch, you can leave the watch in person at our customer services office in Frankfurt. If you wish to send us your Sinn watch, please fill out our order form on the Internet at http://www.sinn.de/de/Kundendienst and print
    it out. Then sign the order form and send it to us, along with your Sinn watch. When we receive your Sinn watch, you will receive confirmation of receipt from us. Once we have inspected the watch, we will send you a quote. You can confirm or reject this quote by e-mail, fax, letter or by telephone. The service contract becomes binding when we receive your approval of the costs. You will receive an order confirmation in this respect. Once the statutory revocation period has expired, the watch is forwarded to our workshop and we start to perform the service. You may, however, also specify on the order form that we should begin to provide the service prior to expiration of the statutory revocation period.
    The second part starts with "Once we have inspected your watch, we will send you a quote." Did you receive that?

Menno

Craftsman

It was given to the dealer to send, they sent it to Sinn. The dealer phoned me with Sinn’s quote and the timescale. Sinn then sent (the wrong watch) to the AD and they sent it back to me

Update is that yesterday the AD say Sinn have found my watch, however it has not had any work done on it due to the admin error, so it will be another 6-8 weeks before it’s ready.

I still have no ‘’proof of life’’ or any docs, but I have asked for something.

The AD tells me that the price quoted by Sinn for my repair is actually for the 556 that was returned..... and that the repair for mine is significantly more expensive, and they are making the dealer pay the extra, but he is not passing that cost on to me.

........... I have to say my spidey sense is tingling at the moment.....

If it was Sinn’s mess to sort, I’m sure they would be more accommodating....

I will keep you updated... thanks for all the advice so far.
    Last edited by tobetobes; 27th June 2020 at 20:58.

It was given to the dealer to send, they sent it to Sinn. The dealer phoned me with Sinn’s quote and the timescale. Sinn then sent (the wrong watch) to the AD and they sent it back to me

The AD tells me that the price quoted by Sinn for my repair is actually for the 556 that was returned..... and that the repair for mine is significantly more expensive, and they are making the dealer pay the extra, but he is not passing that cost on to me.

a load of tosh no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    a load of tosh no doubt
    Agree with this, it sounds like the dealer is making this up as an attempt to keep you quiet. Call me cynical but I bet your watch was still with the dealer, who after realising the mistake have now sent it to Sinn who have come back with a higher quote.

Craftsman

Update is that yesterday the AD say Sinn have found my watch, however it has not had any work done on it due to the admin error, so it will be another 6-8 weeks before it’s ready.

I still have no ‘’proof of life’’ or any docs, but I have asked for something.

........... I have to say my spidey sense is tingling at the moment.....

If it was Sinn’s mess to sort, I’m sure they would be more accommodating....

I will keep you updated... thanks for all the advice so far.
    Sounds like nonsense. If it was their mistake there is no way that they would make you wait the full 8 weeks they would sort it straight away. Sounds like the dealer has made a muck up and is just trying to cover themselves

Master
    Could be worse result I suppose. Looking at it positively, when you get it back, the guarantee will be 2 months longer and it'll be 2 months longer before it next needs attention.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    This morning I received an email + PDF from Sinn. The order confirmation for the work on my EZM2. It is their 'check-up' to see if they are working on the correct watch from the correct customer. Attached to the email, the order #, the consignment #, the name of the Sinn contact person AND the complete list of work that will be done on the watch. They also mention the total amount you'll have to pay (not an invoice, that's the next step).

In short: there must be a document in which Sinn clearly tells you (or the AD) what's on the bench at the Sinn workshop. The perfect way to find out where the mistake happened: at the dealer's or in Sinn's workshop.

Menno

Craftsman
    That’s great info, thanks.

Master
    At least it’s not lost, does sound like a the dealers messed up though rather than Sinn, blamed many things on the manufacturer instead of me at the garage service desk.

That’s great info, thanks.
    Why not contact Sinn yourself and ask them what's happened?

This is why I always deal with the manufacturer directly……What benefit do you get from going via a AD ?

Craftsman
    I actually sent Sinn 2 emails and one website request last year and heard nothing from them at all. So I rang, and got no one.

I also heard from a few people that they can often be uncommunicative....

I went to the AD so that my watch wouldn’t disappear into the ether.

..... but.... Heh!....

I actually sent Sinn 2 emails and one website request last year and heard nothing from them at all. So I rang, and got no one.

I also heard from a few people that they can often be uncommunicative....

I went to the AD so that my watch wouldn’t disappear into the ether.

..... but.... Heh!....
    Any update on this OP?

Blog Entries
    Amazing. I just sent an email to Sinn telling them how happy I am with my cleaned & serviced watch AND how happy I am with their email communication.
    Just try again. Every email I've sent is answered within 24 hrs.

And... your dealer should be able to provide you with the half-way email I mentioned before. That's the pivoting point: the dealer should have checked the info on the email.

Menno

I am looking at the possible purchase of a used Sinn that needs some work
    I couldn't find the price of the services that they offer on their online repair price list (the items were "price on request") so I emailed them last night (after office hours) to ask for those prices.
    They have already replied, within 4 working hours of receipt of my request.
    Exemplary service

If I understand rightly? You used an Authorised retailer to send it to Sinn? Then They are your agent and have ostensible authority from yourself to deal with the watch on your behalf with Sinn. You would not have privity of contract with Sinn, if then you made an agreement with the agent to send the watch to Sinn, i.e. and you paid the authorised dealer not Sinn. So assuming your contractual relationship is with the Authorised Agent, ie your privity is with them and you do not have privity of contract with Sinn? In that case you do not have any recourse with Sinn in contract, that would be with your agent. In terms of recourse against Sinn, then you could take action in Negligence as there needs be no Privity, but that would be ill advised, as your damages will be to recover economic loss, which is a contractual remedy really, rather than one awarded in Tort which would favour some physical pain to yourself or suffering. So assuming that your only recourse is via breach of contract, then there does indeed need to be a contract. Which there is with the Authorised Retailer. You would be best advised to ask them what as gone wrong and to sort it out on your behalf. They should be able to show they took care to ensure your watch was recorded and sent with its make, model, serial number recorded. So they could ensure they received the same watch back. That is their responsibility. If they have not done this, then they are in fact negligent, and they can not exclude liability in negligence under their contract with you. Any attempt to do so would be automatically void. Ask them nicely to show you the steps they took to record the watch they were, sending to Sinn. And good luck.

"so I found an authorised dealer to send through to Sinn"

Master
    It seems like the OP has lost interest in his own thread. Last posted about this on 2nd July.