closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedmaster - what is your attraction to it?

Speedmaster - what is your attraction to it?

I have one of them already, thankfully and for some reason its my favourite watch despite having no sentimental attachment to it. Most of my other watches (excluding g-shocks) were bought for a big birthday or given to me by a relative. The speedmaster is just one that I bought.

Mine is the triple date with the black face and I find it a really compelling watch on both a leather and nato strap. I am not sure whether its the 'Speedmaster' font or the fact it simply has the word 'speed' in it but I just like it.

I am curious, why do others like it?

For starters it is a watch with a rich history although that has clearly been milked to death over the years by Omega with the numerous versions and limited editions that have appeared, it is still a watch that people want to own.

Purists want the standard moonwatch, collectors can go back to the pre-moon and pre-professional models and those lovely limited editions in as many colours as a tube of Smarties have something for everyone.

I've owned a few, an Ed White, 2 x Silver Snoopy (god, I wish I still had one of those, £30k to £35k now!!!), a tritium moonwatch, 35th anniversary Apollo XI Panda, the first Speedy Tuesday and the automatic 'reduced'.

Christ, didn't realise I had worked my way through so many.

I don't have one, just like the Daytona - tried one didn't get 'the vibe' flogged it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've had a couple and there just ok imo, I prefer my Seiko 7T59-6A00 better feel on the wrist (imo) and a LOT less money :).

A Speedmaster reduced was my first proper watch.
    Sold that to buy a moon watch and I can’t ever see me not having one. I even had the first speedy Tuesday for a while.
    It’s the easiest Chronograph watch to read by far in my opinion (bar a 5100 or similar powered watch) the later MK series of watches are just as easy to read.
    It looks good on almost any strap
    The history associated with the watch is unmatched by most if not all watches in production. Although the marketing around it is a bit of a joke.
    It has not really changed that much during its production life.- That can’t be said about many watches, so I guess the moon watch got it right first time.
    The racing / Schumacher / special edition versions don’t have quite the same appeal for me as the bog standard professional.

Master
    Despite being a busy dial, it's incredibly legible. Wears small for it's measurements. Aesthetically perfect design for me.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Its a classic

It looks good on any strap

The history

Its really flexible as can be worn with lots of outfits

It clear and easy to read (Important for older eyes)

It feels like value for money when you hold it

However I have one, owned it for almost two years and have probably worn it 5 times but glad I have it

I’ve had two speedy professionals - 1st the Hesalite as it’s apparently the one to get - wasn’t impressed at all and moved it on at a loss soon afterwards. Then I thought maybe I just didn’t like the Hesalite and got the sapphire sandwich- lasted 5 months and I only wore it a handful of times in that time. Again, sold it for a loss. Now I know it’s not for me as I don’t like manual wind watches. found the crown too small to grip easily and just found it very plain overall vs the Daytona. I realised I personally prefer modern watches more. I think much of it depends if you appreciate the history, which I don’t much care for, or if you want modern... No wrong or right answer and we all want different things from our watches.

Journeyman
    The history, space fascinates me.

I like the movement in them, that is the modern ones with the Coaxial Escapement. After seeing a documentary about George Daniels inventing the CoAxial escapement during the Quartz Crisis and how in his opinion it “just made sense” as it gives the movement components a far easier life. I was sold.

I don’t own an Omega at the moment but would like to add one to my collection at some point.

I've had a few different ones (straight text 69ST, Mk 2 Racing, Mk 4 TV dial) and the original moonwatch is the only one I still have (though the Mk 2 is the only watch I really deeply regret selling).

I think for me, the size is perfect; the design just "right" as a cohesive whole - the proportions of the sub-dials etc just hit my eye as spot-on. I like and value the Hesalite, with the inevitable distortion at the edges, too. Basically, visually/aesthetically, I think the design "just works". Oddly, I am not a fan of the more complicated models (moonphases etc.), that all just feels like gilding the lily a bit.

I think the "heritage" angle plays a bit of a role in my view (as I am a major league Apollo Nerd) but for me it is 99% about the aesthetic being bang-on. I like the versatility too, it's a watch which looks as good on a high-end alligator strap as it does on a NATO or GGB. It could easily be my "only" watch if I had to narrow the collection down to one.

Journeyman
    I have a basic Hesalite on a croc deployant which I've never worn- not keen on the modern bracelet- but out of all my watches this
    is the most versatile for leather straps and Natos.

It's super legible even for presbyopic eyes.

Another plus for me is manual movement, no date and no screw-down crown or pushers, all of which are a pain in a large rotation.

Master
    For me...

Primarily I like the design, it's a classic looking watch, dresses up and down, can look good on bracelet, many straps, NATO etc.

Secondarily I like many aspects of the functionality. No date (always a pain in a rotation), no screw down pushers or crown, chrono

Thirdly the heritage. Space connections, long history of more or less unchanged looks.

Hit/miss are manual wind (I sometimes love the interaction, sometimes hate the hassle!).

I doubt I'd ever sell this watch. Even if occasionally it's out of rotation for a while, I always fall in love again later on!

Master
    I've recently been more attracted to them in the early 90s I got offered a old speedy for £350 but bought a tag instead big mistake

Master
    Until recently I owned an FOIS version. I haven't owned any of the other variants so can't comment on those!

Pros:
    Long and interesting history
    Well sized and comfortable to wear
    Discounts obtainable (certainly in the past) and so not as expensive as many well known Swiss watch models from mainstream makers
    Legible dial

Cons (well for me anyway):
    No date
    Kept forgetting to wind it when worn in rotation with my mostly automatic watches
    No real water resistance
    Lots of friends/colleagues have one!
    Didn't get chosen in preference to my Zenith and so that's the one that has stayed in the collection

Its my favourite out of the watches Ive got.

Easy to read, looks good on a multitude of straps, comfy, looks good...so thats why I love mine!

I did have a 3750.but flipped that to buy something else.

I recently nabbed a one year old Speedy pro. from the sales corner...

Here it is on a "Pav" strap.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I don't have one, just like the Daytona - tried one didn't get 'the vibe' flogged it.
    What he said

I love them.

There are very few iconic watches and the Speedy Pro is definitely one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    There’s just something ‘right’ about the design. To me, the single best watch design ever. Which seems a bit excessive, but that’s how I see it. It’s as if this is how a watch ought to look.
    Yes, it has flaws, and certainly isn’t perfect. But then the most attractive women (or men) rarely look ‘perfect.’
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th June 2020 at 13:55.

For me; it’s a classic design and extremely versatile - it’s a watch that will look good with a huge range of straps. I think it is perfectly proportioned and the heritage doesn’t do any harm either. One to keep forever and pass on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I once had the Tin Tin —- oh for the watch market crash for just one day , buy one again and I promise I’d never let you go
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 25th June 2020 at 15:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I once had the Tin Tin —- oh to the watch market crash for just one day , buy one again and I promise I’d never let you go
    I remember a Tin Tin in the window of Earnest Jones in Kensington High street for years (2/3) when I was a kid, I bought my reduced in there but I could not afford the Tin Tin.
    They could not sell them when they were released. (I bought the Reduced with my student loan cheque when at home one summer)
    Oh how things change.

I had the experience of putting my name in the frame for the ST2 Ultraman and only really saw it in all it’s glory on the morning of the Omega website ‘free-for-all’. Anyway, I can only echo what others have said on here; a great watch tastefully executed and very much a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    ... Mine is the triple date with the black face

Of all the countless variants, that is my favourite. Shame there's not (TTBOMK) a larger variant. Sadly prices are unjustifiably high now, so doubt I'll ever own one.

Master
    It's my favourite watch to look at but it only gets worn occasionally and always on a NATO as I think that suits it best.

For a fairly well known watch with long history it gets the least comments, but I like that it can fly under the radar.

I'd like a 1971 birth year one next.....or maybe an ST.

Journeyman
    My first proper watch - I think it just ticks a lot of boxes in terms of history, affordable and looks good. I come and go in terms of how much I like it mind.

It comes highly recommended.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I only like the hesalite speedy pro's.
    Had the tintin and flipped it, but im now guilty of occasionally nicking my dads 3570 and wearing it on a steveo canvas.

Its a relic, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    Its not often that you get a modern watch with a plexi and thats the absolute appeal for me, as well as the iconic element and space etc.

I share a lot of the reasons above but...

You can also sell the things without taking a huge bath.

Craftsman
    Can't actually put my finger on exactly why I like the Speedy Pro, but it's a close to perfect for me as a watch can get. I actually have the Speedy Tuesday too (first one), which I don't like so much, as the panda dial makes it much less legible than the original for my over 40 eyes....Ok...over 50 eyes. I would happily buy lots of variants of the pro though..

In essence its
    1) extremely legible at a glance
    2) understated
    3) goes with any strap whether it be Nato or Leather
    4) My most accurate time keeping watch
    5) Isn't a Daytona

Blog Entries
    I’ve had a few. But now settled on the Apollo 8 Special Edition. Something different but with the same heart as the speedy pro.

Journeyman
    As a watch to me is nigh perfect.

The design is outstanding , sizing suits many wrists and I'm a sucker for those twisted lugs. It's a strap monster, any strap suits it perfectly...I tend to change mine every few days. It's elegant whilst sporty with a dash of sophistication

Incredible legibility - the contrast between the white hands and black dial is great and overall design makes it accessible without being overbearing.

The history - it's hard to think of any watch with a heritage as rich as this one. As a space nerd, this ticks many boxes.

Because of its heritage, it remained mostly the same (limited editions not included) over the past 50+ years, hence is timeless and will never look dated.

The one drawback I find is water resistance...it it were 150-300m it would easily be your one watch. Plus I wish I had the hesalite sandwich (not a fan of the milky ring on the sapphire version) so I can admire the movement

It's not a Daytona.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It’s a splendid watch. Most people have captured its essence very well in previous posts. My first “proper” watch was a Speedy Day Date in my 20s, then onto a Speedy Pro (Hesalite), then an Ultraman and now a Sapphire Sandwich. It’s a timeless, versatile, beautiful yet instrument like. Love them, love them, love them. I love the speedy font - it’s super cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Out of interest, have those new Ed White's started to hit the streets yet - haven't seen any appearing in the incoming section. Not cheap, but looks a stunning watch.

Master
    I asked the local AD; he said Omega had gone off in a flounce because the store had a big new Rolex area, and Omega were demanding the same, and weren’t going to get it. So no new 321 for that store.
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th June 2020 at 21:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Out of interest, have those new Ed White's started to hit the streets yet - haven't seen any appearing in the incoming section. Not cheap, but looks a stunning watch.
    There have been zero You Tube reviews so I can only assume they have not reached customers yet. I gather the 321 movement is a more time-consuming and less mass-produced movement so they will not be available in droves. Really looking forward to seeing one in the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Its a classic

It feels like value for money when you hold it

However I have one, owned it for almost two years and have probably worn it 5 times but glad I have it
    this, but I confess I tend to look at mine more than wearing it!!

Craftsman
    I only have mine a few weeks and love it. I just think the design is class. The doomed hesalite is lovely. It looks like a portal on your wrist looking into time or something

Master
    I was seriously thinking of buying a Speedster a couple of years ago. I wanted a good 3570 model and eventually located one in London. I fully accept the technical excellence and the history of the Speedmaster but the moment I saw it I said no. It just left me cold. If I had bought it, it would have spent the rest of its life in a safe.

Thank goodness I took the trouble to look at it and to hold it, it confirmed that buying something from a photo that you have not actually handled is high risk.

Master

Nearly purchased a mint Speedmaster 4.5 yesterday but the deal fell through. I was quite disappointed. I would rather in all honesty wear a watch that has some character and history like one of the early Speedmasters (Mark 2,3,4.5 ) or my Monaco than my Rolex 114060 which looks like every other generic stainless dive watch. Just IMHO of course. Yeah I know the Sub as loads of history but it’s just not as cool .
    Anybody wanna buy a 2017 no date Sub:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 26th June 2020 at 16:05.

A Speedy auto date was my first ‘proper’ watch many years ago. Paid for in instalments, dropped off at the local jewellers, every month, for what felt like years. It was pretty much a constant companion for the next couple of decades. Then I got it serviced, had a custom D9 strap made for it and it felt like new again. My collection is somewhat bigger these days but I still wear this one regularly. I love this watch. I will never part with it.

So, it’s pure sentimental value for me.

I’ve always said I’ll buy a pro at some point but it hasn’t happened just yet. It’s good fun looking though.

I’ve had a couple and neither lasted long - in fact I think I returned both for a refund. I really want to like them, there’s something cool and iconic about the whole package - but on my wrist they just didn’t do it for me.
    I have to say I used to see a lot on wrists when I lived and worked in London, and I thought they looked a bit ‘dated’ but not in a cool way! - to be fair I have huge wrists so maybe they are just too dainty, every time I see one in a picture I still think they look great - but in the metal - ‘meh’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Saw the movie Terms of Endearment last week. Jack Nicholson plays the part of a retired astronaut. For that part he must wear a Speedmaster and he does. On a bracelet as well. It just looks so right.

Good size, not too big or small - not too flashy, useful timing function! Now a classic design which has stood the test of time. When I got one I had no idea what they were, it just looked like a really cool handsome watch (standard speedy)

Craftsman
    To me, it feels like one of those that will still look appropriate at any age, so that makes it a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

For some reason I couldn’t get on with the original pro but quite like the 3594.50
    But would you believe it I’ve had air in the mechanism and it stopped the chrono stop start button from working
    Or possibly hair but both make no sense when it’s been allegedly serviced before sale ;-)
    Last edited by speedypro1111; 26th June 2020 at 20:20.

Master
    Stone cold classic.

It's archaic. Manual wind, acrylic crystal, printed dial. A new one in the AD window is almost a dead ringer for one sold in 1966. It's a perfect size for my wrist. I like it so much I have four of them. If only I could go to the car dealership and buy a mid-'60s Corvette or E Type...

Master
    As a Rolex fan boy, I think the Speedmaster is the perfect chronograph look and knocks the Daytona into a cocked hat.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    I only have mine a few weeks and love it. I just think the design is class. The doomed hesalite is lovely. It looks like a portal on your wrist looking into time or something
    This comment wins the thread for me.

Good question OP.

If I’m honest (with myself), I think I need to ask whether my attraction to the Speedmaster is merely that everyone else has expressed their own huge attraction to it.

Having owned 5 of these, from the late 1960s models to present day, I am still trying to work out if I am genuinely attracted to it at all.

Sacrilege, I know.