closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most shock resistant automatic...

Most shock resistant automatic...

I know, if I want shock resistant, then a £17 Casio F-91 will be perfect... but who’s making the most shock resistant auto watches, and is it the movement itself or externals (how it is cases etc) that are making the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    No idea, but big heavy watch cases don’t help. Far more energy to dissipate when they strike a hard surface compared to a lightweight 60s style watch.

In the days before incabloc ( and similar) shock resistant systems for mounting balance jewels a sharp shock would break the balance pivots, but this is very rare thesedays.

Damage to the case or crystal is more of a concern IMO, unless you’re considering vintage ( pre incabloc) watches.

Ball comes to mind -- never had one, though, so can't vouch for their shock resistance claims.

I think it would have to be Richard Mille.

https://www.richardmille.com/collect...n-rafael-nadal

Lemania 5100 movement?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think it would have to be Richard Mille.

https://www.richardmille.com/collect...n-rafael-nadal
    It may be shock resistant, but its a pity you can't actually make out the time from it......

Certina had an interesting innovation with a floating movement design, where a rubber ring is sandwiched between the case and the movement, to absorb energy in case of a shock.
    I have details of one of them on my blog https://onatelier.co.uk/certina-ds-2...25-561-service

Omega had a similar concept on the Seamaster 166.065 (possibly other case refs as well?)- where the movement was cushioned by four 'rugby ball'-like rubber gaskets sandwiched between the case and the movement.

As Paul said above, the balance wheel rarely breaks if it is shock protected, this used to be the Achilles' heel of a watch before the introduction of shock protection springs. I would hazard a guess that more damage is done to the rotor (bearing or post / jewel) than the rest of the movement in case of a shock on an automatic watch.

Craftsman
    Most shock resistant automatic..?

I think the creation of Roland Oogstwegel should also be mentioned.

https://www.ro-watches.nl/

Maybe not known overhere as in the Netherlands.

He created a patented spring loaded, adjustable shock mechanism inside the watch housing.
    Developement and engineering took at least a few years...technical problems asked for solutions bringing other problems.

I talked to Mr. Oogstwegel and his wife a few times, both very passionate about watches and his creation.
    His creation had intrest from several big watchhouses, but he declined to go for his dream instead of money.

On (or maybe more) of his watches has been worn by Andre Kuipers to the International Space Station.

Intresting read on his site, although only dutch...use google Translate.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    It may be shock resistant, but its a pity you can't actually make out the time from it......
    It's a total dogs dinner. I think Richard Mille watches are G-Shocks for millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Certina had an interesting innovation with a floating movement design, where a rubber ring is sandwiched between the case and the movement, to absorb energy in case of a shock.
    That's the DS system
    Read This article about Peter Roberts seeing the Certina demonstration of the DS technology in their Car Park, back in the 1970s.
    A 6m vertical drop to a hard rebound is quite a lot of shock to absorb, and Peter was so impressed that the DS system is pretty much exactly what he re-invented for the Bremont MB series watches, when he was chief technical director there.
    Dave

that RM is hideous, imho.

If it is worth your consideration... the Seiko spring drive.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    If it is worth your consideration... the Seiko spring drive.
    It was this that got me thinking actually

Not sure how effective it is in practice, but Formex have a nice suspension system in their watches -

Taste in shirts is a whole other story.

They have some damn clever deployant clasp designs, too, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    It was this that got me thinking actually
    Back in the early Eddie (Mr Platts) got us into Damasko hardened steels and all that, and then I realised that a watch is only as strong as the movement, and that was when I got into spring drive. When it comes to automatics they are the strongest.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Back in the early Eddie (Mr Platts) got us into Damasko hardened steels and all that, and then I realised that a watch is only as strong as the movement, and that was when I got into spring drive. When it comes to automatics they are the strongest.
    Surely the point of hardened steel is not the structural strength of the case &c, but surface wear resistance? Aluminium, even plastic has plenty enough impact resistance for most of what happens to wristwatches - after that, the weak link is the flesh and bone underneath, at which point considerations of the fate of one's wristwatch become a mite academic...

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That's the DS system
    Read This article about Peter Roberts seeing the Certina demonstration of the DS technology in their Car Park, back in the 1970s.
    A 6m vertical drop to a hard rebound is quite a lot of shock to absorb, and Peter was so impressed that the DS system is pretty much exactly what he re-invented for the Bremont MB series watches, when he was chief technical director there.
    Dave

that RM is hideous, imho.
    Very interesting read, thank you. I am a big fan of the vintage DS, clever design and very nice movements

Helvetia patented a system for spring-mounting the entire movement of their wristwatches in 1934. As pioneers of shock-protection and waterproofing it was a natural development.

https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk/1930s-sports-watches

(All courtesy of Carl’s fabulous site - Enfield on the forum).

Craftsman
    Lorne did some mods to the 7750 to make it more robust in the field engineer watches, some details on here:
    https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...l/chronographs

How about the Bremont Martin Baker series of watches. They look like they get some pretty rigorous testing

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-mens-mb