closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex availability

Craftsman
    I was in an AD on Saturday and he was claiming that the OP39 is now in the ‘very hard to get/list as long as your arm’ category?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Where does the James Cameron 126660 sit in the "must have" hierarchy?
    I don’t think it’s on most people’s radar as far as popular models go. It’s a bit more niche than the others.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    JC is a gorgeous watch but bigger than most can easily wear.
    It’s not one that goes in the window but one you could get on a list for and get within a reasonable time with low-medium spend level I’d say. In terms of “hard to get” I’d probably put it similar to root beer.
    This is good news as I am on a list for one, I have what they call "purchase history" because I bought a DJ41 within the last year, the money is ready & I'm now waiting with all the calm & serenity of an 8 year old on Christmas eve...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I don’t think it’s on most people’s radar as far as popular models go. It’s a bit more niche than the others.
    That's encouraging, a crumb of comfort to sustain me in the long wait. I hate waiting...

This is good news as I am on a list for one, I have what they call "purchase history" because I bought a DJ41 within the last year, the money is ready & I'm now waiting with all the calm & serenity of an 8 year old on Christmas eve...
    Good luck mate I hope you get it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Good luck mate I hope you get it.
    Thanks, they tell me I will but don't of course say when or reveal what they are actively doing to shorten the waiting time.
    One of the reasons I'm struggling with the wait (and it's only been a month) is that I used to work in retail, albeit for cheaper items. If customers came in looking for a particular item that we were out of stock of, we'd order it for them or try to locate one at another store.
    This passive "wait until the manufacturer deigns to send us a watch, at which point we may call you" approach is less satisfactory.
    I know we all like to believe that each Rolex is handcrafted by a gnome in a white coat and loupe, working in a brightly lit lab in a hollowed out Swiss mountain, but it's not really like that - it's just a very precise factory, churning out a million units a year.
    Playing hard to get with a million units a year is a silly game.
    Trouble is, I also know that I volunteered myself as a pawn in the game the minute I decided I wanted one of the units so it's really my own fault...

Master
    The problem you might have with the Glasgow ADs, is that the old WoS shop started transitioning into a new Rolex only boutique just as the lockdown started, so they moved upstairs in the Mappings & Webb store and deliberately reduced their stock to cope with their new, temporary, home.
    Whether or not the new boutique is due to open any time soon, I don’t know but I don’t see them having restocked during the lockdown, so stock will be very, very limited.
    Laings is the other AD, so you could contact them for a view on things.

Master
    Talking to AD near to me yesterday, got told you need to have previously purchased from them before to get on the list for one of the EIGHT sort after SS models.
    B&W Daytona, 3 subs, 2 GMT, Deepblue.
    I mentioned SD 43 & she put me on hold, came back it was reserved ten mins before.
    Seems to be common from reading posts on here.

They are calling back Monday if the SD43 is not taken, I will take it if offered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Talking to AD near to me yesterday, got told you need to have previously purchased from them before to get on the list for one of the EIGHT sort after SS models.
    B&W Daytona, 3 subs, 2 GMT, Deepblue.
    I mentioned SD 43 & she put me on hold, came back it was reserved ten mins before.
    Seems to be common from reading posts on here.

They are calling back Monday if the SD43 is not taken, I will take it if offered.
    Fingers crossed for you!

Depends on your address with Laings - will only sell to edinburgh postcode for desirable models that require a waiting list at Edinburgh branch and vice-versa at Glasgow boutique. Have been told this on 3 occasions by separate salespeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    You should have tried the ADs in Edinburgh.😀

A mate of mine was offered a 114060 by two ADs within three or four months of asking.

No previous purchasing history.

He bought one and when the second AD phoned told them he already had one and passed.

Neil
    Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Depends on your address with Laings - will only sell to edinburgh postcode for desirable models that require a waiting list at Edinburgh branch and vice-versa at Glasgow boutique. Have been told this on 3 occasions by separate salespeople.
    Another Rolex 'legend' is birthed.

You're saying that Laings won't sell to residents of Ayrshire (KA) or Renfrewshire (PA), for example.

There are only seven Rolex ADs listed in Scotland. There are sixteen postal areas (eg: EH for Edinburgh, G for Glasgow, PH for Perth, DD for Dundee & AB for Aberdeen: the location of said ADs).
    ______

​Jim.

Journeyman
    Thanks, they tell me I will but don't of course say when or reveal what they are actively doing to shorten the waiting time.
    One of the reasons I'm struggling with the wait (and it's only been a month) is that I used to work in retail, albeit for cheaper items. If customers came in looking for a particular item that we were out of stock of, we'd order it for them or try to locate one at another store.
    This passive "wait until the manufacturer deigns to send us a watch, at which point we may call you" approach is less satisfactory.
    I know we all like to believe that each Rolex is handcrafted by a gnome in a white coat and loupe, working in a brightly lit lab in a hollowed out Swiss mountain, but it's not really like that - it's just a very precise factory, churning out a million units a year.
    Playing hard to get with a million units a year is a silly game.
    Trouble is, I also know that I volunteered myself as a pawn in the game the minute I decided I wanted one of the units so it's really my own fault...

Unfortunately Rolex hold the cards with allocation . The dealer I have my name down with for an SD43 was very open and told me how many people I have before me on the list and how many of the watch's they expect to get in per year but that is all dependent on what Rolex send them. I was surprised at the low quantity's of watch's the particular dealer actually got per year, I believe they said the Explorer 2 polar was pretty hard to get with them only get 1 or 2 come in over the past year.

Perhaps I should clarify if you have difficulty in understanding. If you live in Glasgow or the surrounding area then go to the Glasgow branch and get your name down for a Daytona.Then going to the Edinburgh branch and again putting your name down for the same watch expecting it to double your chance of getting one will not work as the Edinburgh shop would prefer to sell to a customer in the area it covers.Basically they won't steal customers from one anothers territorial area.They are the same business so have no need.Again I have been told this on 3 occasions and by someone who I know well enough to trust.Now excuse me while I phone every Rolex AD in the uk to be put on their imaginary list.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Another Rolex 'legend' is birthed.

You're saying that Laings won't sell to residents of Ayrshire (KA) or Renfrewshire (PA), for example.

There are only seven Rolex ADs listed in Scotland. There are sixteen postal areas (eg: EH for Edinburgh, G for Glasgow, PH for Perth, DD for Dundee & AB for Aberdeen: the location of said ADs).
    Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Have you approached Hamilton & Inches in Edinburgh?

Laings are a family business, that split some years ago, so the Edinburgh and Glasgow shops were effectively independent of each other. As I understand it, this has now changed and they are 1 and the same company now.

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Perhaps I should clarify if you have difficulty in understanding. If you live in Glasgow or the surrounding area then go to the Glasgow branch and get your name down for a Daytona.Then going to the Edinburgh branch and again putting your name down for the same watch expecting it to double your chance of getting one will not work as the Edinburgh shop would prefer to sell to a customer in the area it covers.Basically they won't steal customers from one anothers territorial area.They are the same business so have no need.Again I have been told this on 3 occasions and by someone who I know well enough to trust.Now excuse me while I phone every Rolex AD in the uk to be put on their imaginary list.

What you wrote was that Laings Glasgow would only sell you a 'desirable' Rolex if you had a Glasgow (G) postcode & Laings Edinburgh would only sell you a 'desirable' Rolex if you had an Edinburgh (EH) postcode. The clear inference from that was that residents in other postal areas would be unable to purchase from Laings Scottish Rolex ADs.

I expressed my doubts that was the case.

You've now changed your tune to 'Glasgow & the surrounding area' (so not just a 'Glasgow Postcode') & 'Edinburgh & the surrounding area' (again, not just an 'Edinburgh Postcode') & something about attempting to get on multiple lists - not at all what you wrote earlier.

Still, thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by jwg663; 30th June 2020 at 14:51. Reason: Tidy up.
    ______

​Jim.