closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are DateJusts being hit by the Professional model supply / demand issues?

Master
    I’ve a gut feeling that all the people who have bought a datejust* because they can’t get the SS professional they want and all the people that have paid way over RRP by going grey to get a SS professional will catch a cold sometime soon. I just don’t see this lasting. Whether it’s a cooling in the economy (most likely, more supply, a drop off in demand or mixture of all 3 I think the tide will turn. It’s all gone a bit mad in the last 3 years.

* I like the datejust, just historically it’s been easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    In the UK yes, I was ‘offered’ an OP39 at Heathrow T4. Manager had to take it out from the cupboard (it wasn’t on display) and told me it’s a ‘rare’ piece and that if he displays it, it will sell quickly.

I’ve visited a few ADs in South East Asia during my holiday and DJs and OPs are more widely available (and on display) but RRP price there is higher...

Funny how I had to start a conversation in T4 before being offered an OP and told it’s quite rare but when my flight lands in Malaysia there were a lot on display in the Malaysia airport AD...
    Isn't that the idea of being a watch seller? To sell watches?

Master
    My AD did say, a good few months ago, DJs were becoming more difficult to get hold of. I don't know if that was particular models. Also, it's all relative. He spoke about a wait of 6-8 weeks.

I subsequently bumped into an acquaintance who I didn't realise was in any way interested in watches. He's bought a SS DJ at the said AD and got £500 off plus 12 months interest free credit!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    At the moment they sell the unwanted stuff such as TT to the punters and the sought after stuff to grey dealers. They are still selling, just that the man in the street doesn't see what's going on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Plenty of SS DJ41 in Fraser Hart Kingston today including blue dial and rhodium varieties (with WG bezel).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Very strange. I called them yesterday and they said they had none!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master

Are DateJusts being hit by the Professional model supply / demand issues?

I’ve been umming and aahhing about blue dialled DJ’s for about two years now. I prefer the 36 to the 41, the Jubilee to Oyster, the WG bezel to smooth steel.

I’ve tried both sizes in multiple colours and strap combo’s, but never managed one in the “ideal” configuration.

Trying to find one to try on and see if I like it enough to cough what seems now like an excessive amount of dough for what is frankly a very uncomplicated watch, has proven almost impossible. Especially since the new version came out.

I’m kind of resigned to the fact that my indecisiveness (I probably should’ve pulled the trigger on a 36 smooth bezel with Jubilee at Heathrow a year ago when I tried it at c£4,100) means they are now out of my affordability range and I will keep watching SC in the hope that something appears which I can a) afford and b) decide on fast enough.

A truly middle-class problem!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    At the moment they sell the unwanted stuff such as TT to the punters and the sought after stuff to grey dealers. They are still selling, just that the man in the street doesn't see what's going on.
    No they don’t.

Any AD selling direct to a Grey would be found out and lose their agency in a heartbeat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    No they don’t.

Any AD selling direct to a Grey would be found out and lose their agency in a heartbeat.
    Friend or agent of grey does the buying. Therefore no direct sale. Happy AD, happy agent and happy grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Very strange. I called them yesterday and they said they had none!!!

2 mins ago

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Got my DJ41 very quickly. My choice was plain bezel an black baton dial.
    Hugely underrated in my opinion.
    The LV hasn't had a look in for a while.

I don’t think that’s the 41 looks like the previous iteration the date just 2

Master
    Plenty in Whittles Preston including a blue face with Roman numerals,looks nice but not for me.

Master
    Stick baton blue or grey are the ‘hot’ models

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Stick baton blue or grey are the ‘hot’ models
    I have the grey & I love it. My only gripe is that the hands are hard to see against the dial at certain angles or in certain lights. I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Has anyone come across the new 2019 DJ 36mm blue dial on a jubilee?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    No, I asked at T5 last month and they said they didn’t know when they’d be getting any.

Journeyman
    I’d definitely prefer a WG bezel with the Oyster but my second choice is the smooth bezel with the jubilee. Unfortunately my first preference is considerably more expensive than the second so I guess I’d end up with the latter if I ever ended up buying one!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Yes exactly. Which is why it puzzles me why the watch wasn’t put on display (when they have plenty of space)...

Unless it’s been increasingly sought after and there’s a ‘list’ forming....?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    No, I did see a blue, plain bezel 2019 one on Oyster in Bath, which doesn’t help I suppose, apart from to say that the blue dial looked great. It’s a bright sapphire blue in person, very striking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I called in on the dealer I usually buy from last Monday. The manager told me the store takings are 30% down on this time last year. He had no 36mm or 41mm DJ’s no 36mm or 39mm OP’s, and he just gave me a wry smile and a shrug of the shoulders when I asked about anything from the professional range.

They don’t sell any other brand, so they’re basically sitting around all day, telling customers sorry, can’t help.
    That's very curious.

It's certainly an interesting way to reduce your dealer network!

Maybe having minimal stock availability is why the latest Rolex adverts don't seem to mention watches...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Maybe having minimal stock availability is why the latest Rolex adverts don't seem to mention watches...
    <chortle>

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That's very curious.

It's certainly an interesting way to reduce your dealer network!
    Closure by stealth. Cut off supply until dealer resigns the franchise as it’s no longer viable. Far easier than firing them for some reason or another.

Sad in many ways

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Perhaps they have moved production from DJ/OP to steel professional models. Building a stockpile, suddenly satisfy waiting lists, and bust many grey dealers in the process.
    Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wimbledon dial, blue dial, black dial, rhodium dial.
    All in demand, mainly oysters, particularly Wimbledon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Perhaps they have moved production from DJ/OP to steel professional models. Building a stockpile, suddenly satisfy waiting lists, and bust many grey dealers in the process.
    Wishful thinking, as far as I am concerned!

For the uninformed chortlers, this ad is about the Rolex Perpetual planet campaign and not the watches.

Craftsman

Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Another thing I’ve noticed. Watch what ‘grey’ dealers begin to stock; there was a time when the DJ was largely ignored...because you could get them from Rolex. But recently these companies have been advertising growing numbers of 41s. Ahead of the curve, which I suppose is how they stay in business.
    Having saw the SS 41DJ on a chaps wrist yesterday, I can understand why they have been ignored until the sports shortage has caused buyers needing the brand on their wrist to look at the DJ option. Just in my view this is a highly unattractive watch in the 41mm size, bloated and shiny with the ill proportions of what is supposedly a dress watch.

Buyers obviously buying the 41mm to give them the sports heft and look but I thought it just looked a big silly flash in that size, can only imagine what the 41 in two tone must look like on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Having saw the SS 41DJ on a chaps wrist yesterday, I can understand why they have been ignored until the sports shortage has caused buyers needing the brand on their wrist to look at the DJ option. Just in my view this is a highly unattractive watch in the 41mm size, bloated and shiny with the ill proportions of what is supposedly a dress watch.

Buyers obviously buying the 41mm to give them the sports heft and look but I thought it just looked a big silly flash in that size, can only imagine what the 41 in two tone must look like on the wrist.

Funny stuff indeed! Just how on earth do I carry off such an enormous watch? With these 39.5mm i have to be careful of the shirts I wear, the doors I walk through....oh, and the arm ache, I can’t stand it any more. Oh yes, and it’s so flashy i’m at risk of being mugged everywhere I go. Back to reality for a minute.

Master

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I love my DJ41, it's just the right size for my enormo wrist & goes well with formal or casual clothing. I opted for smooth bezel & Oyster bracelet, this tones down some of the more "Carlos Fandango" elements of the design (just my 2p worth) but the DJ41 is, in my eyes, a perfect daily wearer in almost every situation that doesn't require a sports watch. My 2254 & my Speedy are struggling to get a look in at present.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For those who want a Rolex the lack of professional models will enevitably trick down to OP and DJ sales.

For many it’s all about the brand, the exact model is secondary.

Master
    Popped into my local Butcherer today for the first time in about a year. Last time there were three full trays (i.e. around 100) of OPs and Datejusts of all sizes and types. This time there were about 10 in total, all bi-metal with the exception of one lonely SS OP. So I guess the answer to the OP's question is "yes".
    The sales assistant said that things had been worsening since last Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For the uninformed chortlers, this ad is about the Rolex Perpetual planet campaign and not the watches.
    Wow, I've really graduated to become an uninformed chortler!!!
    It's taken me around 30-years of Rolex ownership and work in professional marketing management but today, as I stand on the threshold of greatness, I think it was worth the investment of both time and money.
    I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me on this amazing journey to uninformed chortledom and especially RAJEN for nominating me for the award.
    I really don't know what to say but thank you, thank you and thank you again for placing your confidence in me.

Last edited by adg31; 22nd July 2019 at 22:25.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I've really graduated to become an uninformed chortler!!!
    It's taken me around 30-years of Rolex ownership and work in professional marketing management but today, as I stand on the threshold of greatness, I think it was worth the investment of both time and money.
    I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me on this amazing journey to uninformed chortledom and especially RAJEN for nominating me for the award.
    I really don't know what to say but thank you, thank you and thank you again for placing your confidence in me.
    I suspect that the comment to which you are responding might have been aimed at me, specifically at my reply to your message at #71.

If so, why he thought I was "uninformed" is unclear: I could see the advert perfectly well, of course, as can everyone here. I chortled for the same reason you posted the advert: Because of the irony of an advert by Rolex not featuring any watches.

Whilst any advert by a watch company is ultimately about selling watches, the fact that the advert is ostensibly about a 'Perpetual Planet' charity (aka PR) campaign does not make the lack of watches in the advert any less deliciously ironic as things currently stand.

Master

By luck, I can answer that ;) I tried the yellow gold, white dial stick version on yesterday. Legibility is much better than on the 36mm models and the Cyclops also looks better (it tends to overwhelm the dial a little in the smaller models, imo) but the stand out was the dial, which had a beautiful jewel-like feel and really looked very high quality indeed. I wonder if Rolex have upped their game a little here? I'd take it off the bracelet immediately but, on the right strap, I'm sure it would look excellent.

At Eur11k+ though ...

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I suspect that the comment to which you are responding might have been aimed at me, specifically at my reply to your message at #71.

If so, why he thought I was "uninformed" is unclear: I could see the advert perfectly well, of course, as can everyone here. I chortled for the same reason you posted the advert: Because of the irony of an advert by Rolex not featuring any watches.

Whilst any advert by a watch company is ultimately about selling watches, the fact that the advert is ostensibly about a 'Perpetual Planet' charity (aka PR) campaign does not make the lack of watches in the advert any less deliciously ironic as things currently stand.
    I can only surmise that they must work for Rolex at a senior level.
    This would certainly explain their disappointment that we may not have realised that they excel at brand marketing and so missed the point of the advert.
    This - along with their positioning at major sporting events, brand ambassadors and customer experience at authorised dealers - all helping to justify the expense of the end product.
    As a marketer I would certainly be concerned if potential customers didn't make the brand link as it would mean I'd just wasted a huge pile of cash!
    I think this must be the explanation as I believe Rolex are famous for not informing anyone outside their business as to their strategic planning - so any other comment must be, by definition, essentially uninformed.
    Hopefully they will now feel free to share their insider knowledge with the forum as to what is happening with Rolex supply at the present time and banish uninformed chortling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    so in the overall, what would the waiting time be for a blue dial 126334?

To be honest, I saw one at the Goldsmiths window at Newcastle (blue dial with romans) two weeks ago, and thought initially that it would have been something relatively common. Unfortunately I haven't entered to pull the trigger due to other responsibilities.

Reading this post, something tells me that I was wrong..

Myself, I am interested in going to an AD this weekend to order the blue dial DJ, 41mm with the batons on.. would it be worth the visit or I will be told to wait for a year or more? any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Evangelos
    Last edited by Evangelos; 23rd July 2019 at 13:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    so in the overall, what would the waiting time be for a blue dial 126334?

To be honest, I saw one at the Goldsmiths window at Newcastle (blue dial with romans), and thought initially that it would have been something relatively common. Unfortunately I haven't entered to pull the trigger due to other responsibilities.

Reading this post, something tells me that I was wrong..

Myself, I am interested in going to an AD this weekend to order the blue dial DJ, 41mm with the batons on.. would it be worth the visit or I will be told to wait for a year or more? any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Evangelos
    Let me know if they have a white OP39 in there would you, currently after one and can't seem to source one!

Good luck with the order. Last time i was in GS they wouldn't even put me on a list as I hadn't bought from them before.....hard to buy form you if you deny me the opportunity I said...but to no avail.

Master
    Have followed all the comments on this thread. In the end I went for a 41mm Blue Baton Dial with Polished Bezel on the Jubilee.

I called many ADs and it is correct to say the availability is very limited indeed.

According to the ADs that I called, the most popular is the blue baton dial. Seems that the numerals are a little easier to come by. Rhodium is the next most popular. Followed by Black and then White.

I managed to see a Blue Dial in the metal and the finish is stunning. I also saw a couple of DJ 41 in white, with the polished and fluted bezel. My initial preference was going to be fluted, however on viewing them side by side, in this size I felt that the polished just looked more appropriate. Maybe just my eyes, but I felt that the Fluted bloated the watch (sorry to any fluted 41mm owners out there!). The perfect combo for me therefore was the Jubilee with Polished Bezel - just the right amount of bling, but wearble daily to work or pleasure. It is great that there are so many combinations, so there is something for everyone.

I requested the watch from an AD I do have a good relationship with. Unbelievably they do have a list and will not put any more names down except for existing local customers. For a DATE JUST! I was astounded. Anyway, they had just had a delivery in and they were going to go through the list. But as I was in the shop, with a sub on my wrist (that I bought from them previously) they felt it would be rude not to offer it to me! It is now on my wrist and the sub has not had a look in. We will see how long that lasts...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Have followed all the comments on this thread. In the end I went for a 41mm Blue Baton Dial with Polished Bezel on the Jubilee.

I called many ADs and it is correct to say the availability is very limited indeed.

According to the ADs that I called, the most popular is the blue baton dial. Seems that the numerals are a little easier to come by. Rhodium is the next most popular. Followed by Black and then White.

I managed to see a Blue Dial in the metal and the finish is stunning. I also saw a couple of DJ 41 in white, with the polished and fluted bezel. My initial preference was going to be fluted, however on viewing them side by side, in this size I felt that the polished just looked more appropriate. Maybe just my eyes, but I felt that the Fluted bloated the watch (sorry to any fluted 41mm owners out there!). The perfect combo for me therefore was the Jubilee with Polished Bezel - just the right amount of bling, but wearble daily to work or pleasure. It is great that there are so many combinations, so there is something for everyone.

I requested the watch from an AD I do have a good relationship with. Unbelievably they do have a list and will not put any more names down except for existing local customers. For a DATE JUST! I was astounded. Anyway, they had just had a delivery in and they were going to go through the list. But as I was in the shop, with a sub on my wrist (that I bought from them previously) they felt it would be rude not to offer it to me! It is now on my wrist and the sub has not had a look in. We will see how long that lasts...
    I got a Rhodium dial, smooth bezel on Oyster & it's only been off my wrist once since May (the day I wore my Speedy for the Moon Landing anniversary). My Speedy & Seamaster 2254 haven't had a look in. The DJ just does everything that I need it to do, the smooth bezel is unobtrusive, the polished centre links are dashing without being lairy - it's the perfect daily wearer. Sell that Sub, you won't be needing it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Popped into my local Butcherer today for the first time in about a year. Last time there were three full trays (i.e. around 100) of OPs and Datejusts of all sizes and types. This time there were about 10 in total, all bi-metal with the exception of one lonely SS OP. So I guess the answer to the OP's question is "yes".
    The sales assistant said that things had been worsening since last Oct.
    Interesting video by Paul Thorpe here, the elder statesmen on here will remember him from the past as a youtuber.

I feel his logic on the current Rolex shortage makes a coherent explanation, which in summary , reduce availability, target PP , and lastly drive up sales of the daughter brand.......

https://youtu.be/VOp1tOuHWZ8

Steve

Craftsman
    Dear all,

I 've purchased a jewellery set for my wife from one of the Goldsmiths at Newcastle today, for our anniversary, which is on the way. Since I was there, I thought to also see what is going on with the waiting lists for a 126334 (fluted bezel - blue bezel with batons dial). There was some kind of Q&A where the sales person tried to probably understand a little more about who I am, probably wanted to realise whether I am a punter who buys and re-sells SS rolexes straight away, who knows.

I confirm that indeed, for us sporadic customers, there is a waiting list which is unknown how far it goes and when someone's turn to collect the watch might be.

I was wearing my oysterquartz 17000 which admittedly attracted the attention of the people working there who mentioned that it is kind of rare see this watch being in such good conditions etc. etc.. I think this gave me some credits (I hope). The person who served me said that he will try call the company to see whether we can make this happen relatively soon, although no idea how soon is soon and whether this is a comment that is said to all customers.

Anyhow, i filled the waiting list form, gave my handshake and left the premises wandering whether this went well or not. I guess time will only show.

Evangelos

Craftsman
    There were two 41mm DJ's (one with a black dial and fluted bezel) on display at Geneva airport on Friday morning. There was also an Airking.

Craftsman
    Windsor Bishop in Norwich have 2 smooth bezel , blue dial with numerals in stock.

Master
    Tim Mosso, of ‘Watchfinder’ , says that the 41mm model has become the fourth stainless steel model to be ‘allocated’ by Rolex....the dealer can’t order them, they have to take what they are given.
    Apparently, the four ‘allocated’ models are Daytona, GMT, Submariner cluster and, now, the DJ41. He described the model as ‘super hot.’

I had no bother buying mine and attaining a cash discount in 1984 . . .

F.T.F.A.

Tim Mosso, of ‘Watchfinder’ , says that the 41mm model has become the fourth stainless steel model to be ‘allocated’ by Rolex....the dealer can’t order them, they have to take what they are given.
    Apparently, the four ‘allocated’ models are Daytona, GMT, Submariner cluster and, now, the DJ41. He described the model as ‘super hot.’
    He probably read this thread and thought with mugs willing to fall over themselves for a watch 12 months ago they were describing as a grandads watch why the hell not?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I had no bother buying mine and attaining a cash discount in 1984 . . .

Very nice indeed.

I'd have that on my wrist in preference to any of the current models, in a heartbeat.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    He probably read this thread and thought with mugs willing to fall over themselves for a watch 12 months ago they were describing as a grandads watch why the hell not?
    Some of us strongly praised this model on TZ well over a year ago....and bought them. Indeed, if you look back you’l see how people suggested it was real competition for the sports range.
    This from 18 months ago.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 28th July 2019 at 23:37.

Some of us strongly praised this model on TZ well over a year ago....and bought them. Indeed, if you look back you’l see how people suggested it was real competition for the sports range.
    This from 18 months ago.....
    It was tongue in cheek, I love the datejust (not so much a fan of the larger version though) and not so long ago it was very much the “Grandad watch” looked down on not just here but in most places and could easily be found at a discount just like the OP.

I just find it a bit ironic that people seem so desperate for a Rolex they will literally buy anything just so long as it’s a Rolex.

Respectfully, “Tim Moss” of “Watchfinder” has probably missed off a number of other Rolex range offerings and the real “allocation” list clearly does not cover only 4 models at all....and they’re all in greater demand/more scarce than the Datejust range...