closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "That's not the Rolex I pawned with you..."

Master

"That's not the Rolex I pawned with you..."

"That's not my watch."

"Sir, the Air-King-Date you pawned was uniquely numbered, as recorded on consecutive pawnbroking agreements, signed by you. The case number of this watch matches, which confirms that it is yours."

"But mine had a very rare World War II dial, so you must have changed it."

"Sir, your watch dates from the mid-1970s and so was never fitted with a World War II dial, whatever you might mean by that."

"But my watch didn't have that dial."

[ a short delay ]

"Right, sir, here is the colour image taken of your watch at the time you brought it in. This is one of a number of things we do to protect ourselves from any erroneous claim that we have changed an item. As you will see, it clearly shows that the watch came to us with exactly the same dial that is fitted now."

"You can twist things however you like, but you'll be hearing from my solicitor."

"We look forward to his correspondence with interest."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    "That's not my watch."

"Sir, the Air-King-Date you pawned was uniquely numbered, as recorded on consecutive pawnbroking agreements, signed by you. The case number of this watch matches, which confirms that it is yours."

"Sir, your watch dates from the mid-1970s and so was never fitted with a World War II dial, whatever you might mean by that."

[ a short delay ]

"Right, sir, here is the colour image taken of your watch at the time you brought it in. This is one of a number of things we do to protect ourselves from any erroneous claim that we have changed an item. As you will see, it clearly shows that the watch came to us with exactly the same dial that is fitted now."

"You can twist things however you like, but you'll be hearing from my solicitor."

Can I buy the old dial ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Classic.

Oh that reminds me, I’ll be popping in next week to pick up my Comex DateJust if that’s ok?

"That's not my watch."

[ a short delay ]

Did he bother to bring any proof of his own?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Classic.

Oh that reminds me, I’ll be popping in next week to pick up my Comex DateJust if that’s ok?
    A few jewels short of the full movement, if you ask me !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Did he bother to bring any proof of his own?!
    No, but "the watch your [sic] trying to spin off as my watch is under no cercumstances [sic] my watch what so ever as you will find out in court."

He is "10000000%" sure it is not the property given to us and is "giving this over now to my solicitors and takeing [sic] it further with your company absolute mockery this is."

A judge would no doubt weigh such evidence carefully.

I’d go nuts having to deal with people like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I’d go nuts having to deal with people like that.
    Unfortunately they do not come with warning labels or they could be stopped at the entrance.

99% of customers are smashing, just wanting to go about their business without causing or getting any grief. Weeding out the 1% is good business but increasingly difficult when everyone has "rights."

Strictly not approved is the old trick of directing them to local competition!
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 2nd October 2020 at 00:11.

No, but "the watch your [sic] trying to spin off as my watch is under no cercumstances [sic] my watch what so ever as you will find out in court."

He is "10000000%" sure it is not the property given to us and is "giving this over now to my solicitors and takeing [sic] it further with your company absolute mockery this is."

Ten million is a high percentage Haywood, he must be pretty sure. Just give him back his rare 1970s WW2 Air-King and put an end to the sorry tale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Ten million is a high percentage Haywood, he must be pretty sure. Just give him back his rare 1970s WW2 Air-King and put an end to the sorry tale.
    If he were twenty million percent sure then we might doubt ourselves, but ten million really doesn't cut it.

That’s not my watch. The watch I gave you had a 36inch 18ct gold bracelet! I used to wear it around my waist. That 7 inch bracelet is 100% not mine or if it is you have taken 29inches of 18ct gold links off of it! You’ll be hearing from my solicitor (walks off and trousers fall down).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    That’s not my watch. The watch I gave you had a 36inch 18ct gold bracelet! I used to wear it around my waist. That 7 inch bracelet is 100% not mine or if it is you have taken 29inches of 18ct gold links off of it! You’ll be hearing from my solicitor (walks off and trousers fall down).
    Ha! Real life is almost as ridiculous. One of my companies suffered a lady claiming that a coin she had left with us had sold for £36million, much of which she would have liked us to pay her.

It was demonstrated that she had pawned a standard gold sovereign, worth somewhat less than £36million.

Ha! Real life is almost as ridiculous. One of my companies suffered a lady claiming that a coin she had left with us had sold for £36million, much of which she would have liked us to pay her.

It was demonstrated that she had pawned a standard gold sovereign, worth somewhat less than £36million.
    Lol. I would have said “yes of course dear, how would you like paying? In fairy dust or unicorn poop?”

Master
    I love rants ..so Haywood are you saying the customer is wrong?

In case you haven't heard the customer is always right! Business 101 come on Haywood isn't there some vintage red sub you can give to him to make him happy? I mean the customer should be made whole now you sold his watch for a profit to someone else this is what an honest business would do!!!

Tell him to go pound sand and tell him his patch needs to be changed while he is at it!

Blog Entries
    "That's not my watch."

[ a short delay ]

I suppose it is a hazard of your business dealing with *rseholes like this. The problem is if this fixated loon does take it to court and is laughed out of the courtroom door, it will have cost YOU time and money and on the off chance that you are awarded any costs, it is likely t’bugger will not have 10p to his name. I hope you never see or hear from him again and I was impressed by your politeness when dealing with this.

Well done for your precautions in recording serial number and photographing the watch, covering your back seems to be a absolute necessity these days.

You might be wrong about one aspect. His solicitor, when you receive the LBA, might be a woman...

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

I wonder how he knew about those incredibly rare WW2 Airking dials made in the 1970s.

He must be a member of a watch forum

I’ve watched a few episodes of the “Hardcore Pawn” TV show, and it seems some people actually convince themselves that the item they brought in was much better (if indeed they brought anything in at all) and it’s their inalienable right to walk out with the biggest TV/fur coat/piece of jewellery in the shop, and if they just face the owner down they’ll buckle and give them what they want. Normally this comes crashing down when the 7ft tall/400lb security guard shows up, not sure if that applies in this case...

Cheers,

Plug

^ I love that show, very contrived in places I’m sure, but entertaining.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I suppose it is a hazard of your business dealing with *rseholes like this. The problem is if this fixated loon does take it to court and is laughed out of the courtroom door, it will have cost YOU time and money and on the off chance that you are awarded any costs, it is likely t’bugger will not have 10p to his name. .
    Unless they still have the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I suppose it is a hazard of your business dealing with *rseholes like this. The problem is if this fixated loon does take it to court and is laughed out of the courtroom door, it will have cost YOU time and money and on the off chance that you are awarded any costs, it is likely t’bugger will not have 10p to his name. I hope you never see or hear from him again and I was impressed by your politeness when dealing with this.

Well done for your precautions in recording serial number and photographing the watch, covering your back seems to be a absolute necessity these days.
    We usually rise to all such challenges and are well backed by our insurers. The only big case brought against one of my companies ended just over a year ago. We won at every stage and each escalation of appeal, finally burdening the dishonest claimant with some £90,000 or so in costs that I believe were all paid. The full story would knock the "trip advisor review" thread off its perch, but I'd simply rather leave the whole thing behind, having wasted enough time winning in court.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I’ve watched a few episodes of the “Hardcore Pawn” TV show, and it seems some people actually convince themselves that the item they brought in was much better (if indeed they brought anything in at all) and it’s their inalienable right to walk out with the biggest TV/fur coat/piece of jewellery in the shop, and if they just face the owner down they’ll buckle and give them what they want. Normally this comes crashing down when the 7ft tall/400lb security guard shows up, not sure if that applies in this case...

Cheers,

Plug
    Those shows are awful, generally fiction but certainly not representative of the highly regulated profession this country enjoys. Here, pawnbrokers have always kept their house in order and are recognised even by their regulator and ombudsman as serving their market well.

While among our doormen we do have "Big Terry," a number of members here can confirm that he is charming and his role is certainly not to be any kind of shepherd for idiots. I'd rather that someone in this position did instruct a solicitor, to be dispatched at the sharp end of some cutting one-liners.

A few jewels short of the full movement, if you ask me !
    Ha!!

"That's not my watch."

[ a short delay ]

He's trying to "wind you up" .......... Kaboom Tish, taxi.

I had similar with a patient on a ward I was working on. General medical ward I might add. Not psychiatric

I noticed the patient had a steinhart. I complimented the guy. He was unwell with asthma and I felt he could do with his spirits being lifted. He said thanks.

He then asks if he can ask a question. I say sure. He asks what is there to stop a nurse coming in in the morning, "clocking in" and then disappearing until the end of the shift. And then "clocking out". Ie getting paid for not doing their work. I couldn't believe the question. I related it back to him to check I had not misunderstood. Nope, he definitely meant what he said. He genuinely thought he was onto something.

What a plinker. Some people eh.

Master
    This morning I needed to call the doctors for a repeat prescription, I was informed that ‘they would do it by phone this one time’ I replied I would have used the online service if it had been operational but it been down approx 3 weeks, receptionist answered that technical we’re trying to rectify the problem, but that was the online system in place, and I should use it. I neglected to ask for aspirin for my now sore head.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    He's trying to "wind you up" .......... Kaboom Tish, taxi.
    Definitely starting a 'war' he cannot win ;)

Master
    He then asks if he can ask a question. I say sure. He asks what is there to stop a nurse coming in in the morning, "clocking in" and then disappearing until the end of the shift. And then "clocking out". Ie getting paid for not doing their work. I couldn't believe the question. I related it back to him to check I had not misunderstood.
    Unfortunately your patient is not wrong to ask the question, it has been quite common in some industries for this to happen, or get a colleague to clock in if somebody felt like having a morning off after a night on the booze. I've seen this in engineering firms and had to sort it out. Custom and practice in some places.

Master
    Going back to the topic, wouldn't it be wonderful if the chap is denying it is his watch that you then don't have to give it to him, just say you will wait for the real owner to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Unfortunately your patient is not wrong to ask the question, it has been quite common in some industries for this to happen, or get a colleague to clock in if somebody felt like having a morning off after a night on the booze. I've seen this in engineering firms and had to sort it out. Custom and practice in some places.
    Have you got a steinhart perchance?

Master

Turning up to court attempting to commit fraud in front of a judge doesn't make him sounds too bright, does it?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    These sort of things make me glad I don’t have to deal with the general public.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Going back to the topic, wouldn't it be wonderful if the chap is denying it is his watch that you then don't have to give it to him, just say you will wait for the real owner to come in.
    And/Or ask for proof of ownership?

Master
    There’s nowt as queer as folk

Craftsman
    We usually rise to all such challenges and are well backed by our insurers. The only big case brought against one of my companies ended just over a year ago. We won at every stage and each escalation of appeal, finally burdening the dishonest claimant with some £90,000 or so in costs that I believe were all paid. The full story would knock the "trip advisor review" thread off its perch, but I'd simply rather leave the whole thing behind, having wasted enough time winning in court.
    I’ve been threatened with being taken to court to be taken to the cleaners ( what ever that’s meant to mean ? )a few times over the years , my reply is firm but clear , the clock starts ticking now , I’ll log every minute spent defending your vexatious claim and counter claim accordingly.

Only one ended in court , I won and got paid in full all my expenses.

Having principles can cost you in the long term.

Be just as careful with the next watch he pawns with you to cover his legal fees.

Ah yes the very rare WWII Air King Date. So rare Rolex only publicly launched it 13 years after WWII ended.

Suspect this one won't go far!

What is he up to? Just deluded or is there a specific well known scam?

Quote Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
    There’s nowt as queer as folk
    Ain’t that the truth - what a chancer this plonker must be.

Yikes that must be a headache to deal with! Assuming this is quite common seeing the amount of process put into place!

Are watches quite a common thing that people pawn?

S

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Yikes that must be a headache to deal with! Assuming this is quite common seeing the amount of process put into place!

Are watches quite a common thing that people pawn?

S
    Not uncommon for us to have had a million pounds lent out against Rolex watches alone at any given time. I’m not keen on lending against most other brands.

Many pawnbrokers take them, but in my opinion a large proportion are not qualified.

Craftsman
    Total scum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Total scum.
    This ^
    But unfortunately that’s how some people see as a way to make money .

Scams and untruths

Craftsman
    Oh goodness, you must have the patience of a saint!